Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VILLAINS Draft - Sign Up and Discussion (Coming 2019)
The rules have made things more complicated (in a fun way), but I think it's pretty clear what is off the table now. So I'm assuming if anyone wants Medusa they can't pick the Sam Worthington - Clash of the Titans one. Krueger is out as well from the Freddy TV Show as that was Englund again, hence why I indicated the actor in The Chosen as if Boone had picked Jackie Earle Haley that would be back on the table (and Boone would be rightly mocked).

But there are bound to be loopholes somewhere I'm not seeing. Smile
NIGHT OF THE HUNTER is so fucking amazing.
home taping is killing music
Sorry I've been running late on all my picks. Just catching up after what was a pretty astoundingly great weekend.

And yes, Frank is really one of the great villains. Fonda is so great at capturing such a complex but utterly evil character, and those blue eyes have rarely been used to greater effect.
Robert Mitchum is absolutely terrifying in Night of the Hunter, especially his scream after the children get away on the river boat.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Morgana le Fay and Bob is a GREAT double pick there.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Reverend Powell was next on my pre-70s list after the Wicked Witch and HAL.
Noah Cross was on my list as well but I totally blanked on Jack Torrance.
Cross was also on mine now my theme has started to emerge...
M'Lady DeWinter from which version of THE THREE MUSKETEERS, Hammerhead?
I'm going to assume the Lana Turner '48 version unless I hear otherwise.
and I'm going to assume Faye Dunaway from the 1973-74 versions.
(based on the picture that is)
My pic is Turner.

She's the only cinematic version who has the character's missing tooth.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
ah, he hadn't added the picture when I first saw it.  Lana Turner it is!

Truth be told, I like almost all versions of M'Lady, even Milla Jovovich's turn in the role.
Man, you guys are way to charitable...I’m assuming it’s Mills Jovivich from the 2011 Paul W. S. Anderson blockbuster
(01-22-2019, 02:57 PM)andronicus Wrote: Man, you guys are way to charitable...I’m assuming it’s Mills Jovivich from the 2011 Paul W. S. Anderson blockbuster

Yep, and I kinda love that movie.  I don't really know why but the damned thing simply works for me.
It's a frickin blast. I've been considering PWSA as a left-field choice for the Directors Deserving Reappraisal thread.

But Turner gets me Classic Era.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(01-22-2019, 03:00 PM)hammerhead Wrote: It's a frickin blast. I've been considering PWSA as a left-field choice for the Directors Deserving Reappraisal thread.

[Image: There-Are-Dozens-of-Us-Tobias-Funke-Arre....gif?ssl=1]
Funny, I was just thinking of Ralph's final scene with [REDACTED] the other day. Great pick.
And with the lovely Mrs. Jennings, I've now satisfied all of Boone's criteria.
Arrggghh...these late afternoon picks are just agonising. I’m just waiting for several more shoes to fall.
(01-22-2019, 03:03 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Funny, I was just thinking of Ralph's final scene with [REDACTED] the other day. Great pick.

That last scene in the kitchen is truly a favorite.

"Don't give me that look. It was a fuckin' horse! What are you, a vegetarian? You eat beef and sausage by the fuckin' carload."

The height of his villainy is the stripper episode. Of all the actions by the characters on that show that was the most disturbing.
Elizabeth Jennings is another like Swearengen, where she is both too sympathetic and too much the protagonist for me to consider a villain.
(01-22-2019, 03:12 PM)Alt-molt Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 03:03 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Funny, I was just thinking of Ralph's final scene with [REDACTED] the other day. Great pick.

That last scene in the kitchen is truly a favorite.

"Don't give me that look. It was a fuckin' horse! What are you, a vegetarian? You eat beef and sausage by the fuckin' carload."

The height of his villainy is the stripper episode. Of all the actions by the characters on that show that was the most disturbing.

Yeah I couldn't wait for him to die after that.

"She was a beautiful, innocent creature."

[REDACTED] definitely wasn't just talking about the horse.
See, I think [redacted] is enough of a villain themselves that the horse was actually what they were angrier about.
Within the context of the show I don't believe (REDACTED) is a villain.
Okay, here's an interesting one. Hammerhead, are you claiming Kriege as a Movie or TV Villain? Whilst she's better in the movie than in the Voyager episode EndGame, you essentially totally lock out the character by claiming the TV version.
I've already got TV. But I'd forgotten that VOY re-re-cast her.
You can pick multiple times for each category, you kind of HAVE to. Or you would basically have to pick a man, a woman, then everyone has to dash for eight non-gender specific creatures fulfilling the other criteria. Smile

But I'll put you down for Movie on the Chosen list. I'm really only rules lawyering for the sake of the list, I can't imagine it'll go on the Split Rule.
(01-22-2019, 03:17 PM)schwartz Wrote: Elizabeth Jennings is another like Swearengen, where she is both too sympathetic and too much the protagonist for me to consider a villain.

She's absolutely not a villain. Might as well consider James Bond a villain if she is!
Oof, Umbridge hurts.
(01-22-2019, 03:17 PM)schwartz Wrote: Elizabeth Jennings is another like Swearengen, where she is both too sympathetic and too much the protagonist for me to consider a villain.

I was waiting for you.  Smile

Elizabeth is, without question, the driving force of the marriage in terms of being a spy.  She's fully committed to the cause of serving her country and commits incredible acts of violence to do her duty (as she perceives it).  She's also fully into turning her daughter into a spy.  In contrast, Philip kinda likes it in America and actually wants to defect and simply get away from all of this.  He commits atrocities (especially with his treatment of Martha), but he has an actual conscience about his actions.  Elizabeth is a borderline sociopath when it comes to doing what's necessary.

Considering that Stan is, without question, the 'good guy' of the show, Elizabeth is absolutely the villain.  The fact that she's the co-main character isn't relevant to the whether or not she's a villain.  You may grow to like her because she's utterly compelling, but you can rarely ever condone her actions or 'root' for her, per se.
Frollo was very high up on my animated villain list. Darn.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
(01-22-2019, 03:29 PM)flint Wrote: You can pick multiple times for each category, you kind of HAVE to. Or you would basically have to pick a man, a woman, then everyone has to dash for eight non-gender specific creatures fulfilling the other criteria. Smile

But I'll put you down for Movie on the Chosen list. I'm really only rules lawyering for the sake of the list, I can't imagine it'll go on the Split Rule.

Borg Queen doesn't check off any new categories for me. I just wanted her.

Does Terminator count for Horror?
(01-22-2019, 03:30 PM)atomtastic Wrote:

She's absolutely not a villain. Might as well consider James Bond a villain if she is!

I respectfully disagree, and it comes down to what point of view you...the viewer...are supposed to take with the character on screen.

With Bond, the expectation is that you are a Westerner watching the movie.  With that perspective, Bond is a good guy working against evil, and the 'evil' is typically either a legitimately adversarial government for any Westerners OR a fictitious organization bent upon world domination.

With Elizabeth Jennings, the expectation is that you are a Westerner watching the show.  With that perspective, she is a bad guy working against Western interests.  You're watching an adversary or villain at work, and the side characters working against her are the good guys who you SHOULD be rooting for to ultimately emerge victorious.  While a viewer can grow to like and identify with the Jennings clan, all of that comes with the caveat that they are villains who should be stopped.