Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
I wonder that too. Seems like some people might’ve dismissed the film just on the premise of it being a remake (of Romero to boot) but I agree it’s really well done.

I think Eisner did a segment in one of the recent horror anthologies but I’d definitely like to see him do more.

EDIT: looks like I was wrong... since The Crazies he’s just done The Last Witch Hunter (oops) and some tv episodes. Come on Breck, do another straight up horror movie. I mean I’m looking at his filmography and that’s easily the best thing he’s done. Unless he only had one in him it seems like he’s wasting his talents.
Quote:since The Crazies he’s just done The Last Witch Hunter (oops)

Yikes. Didn't know Eisner directed that one. Never saw it, knew enough about it to stay away.

The Crazies does deserve more love though. I think it kind of got swept away in that tidal wave of largely mediocre zombie/zombie adjacent projects, which is a real shame because it is an extremely effective doomsday thriller. I love how the movie stays laser focused on the irresistible setup of low key small town horror tale, occasionally hinting at bigger things outside. All those carefully composed shots designed to maximize the eerie frisson we are always hoping to get from these, then later on after the shit has hit the fan they ratchet the tension way up, delivering one quality jolt after another. Believable performances and characters we care about (never a Justified guy, so this is the one I go to when I need proof that Olyphant would have been a much more palatable Rick Grimes). Ending pulls the classic "government takes extreme measures to contain the problem" trick, but with a sense of awe and seriousness that cannot be found in the typical hacky B flick. Of course you know basically where this story is going to take you, but it is all about the journey.

Also I would like to learn more about the monsters in the movie, and how they devolve into various states of "crazy" post incubation period. Sometimes they're just staring in an unnerving way like an Alzheimer's case, or they're agitated or aggressive but still basically themselves. Other times they're shown calmly murdering their loved ones, or as vicious feral creatures that will rip your goddamn face off. There is a certain malice that makes them creepier and more interesting than most alt zombies. They actually remind me of Las Plagas infected humans from the Resident Evil 4 video game. They're cool monsters.

Surprised it didn't even get a single quickie sequel like Vacancy or The Strangers. I would be all over that even if it wasn't very good. Just as much potential for sneaking in commentary on These Times as those dumbass Purge movies, maybe more.
Breck Eisner also directed Sahara, and its kind of amazing he was ever allowed to direct again after that one.

I guess being Michael Eisner's kid helps out, in that regard.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(02-01-2019, 11:40 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Rewatched The Crazies remake. Forgot how good this was. Whatever happened to Breck Eisner? I don't  think he had too many fans in nerd circles for some reason, but he clearly had horror chops.

It was pretty good but what bothered me was the behavior of the infected varied so much. Some were crazed killers and others were just themselves but angry. Not to mention the way Sheriff Bullock killed on with a knife should have infected him.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Years ago, a young Breck Eisner told his dad after a trip to Disneyland that it was "lame." So, Michael Eisner called up George Lucas and we got "Captain EO" and Star Tours.

Easily Breck's greatest contributions to popular culture.
I watched White of the Eye with David Keith, Cathy Moriarity and "That guy" actor Art Evans. The movie teases that it's going to be an American Giallo akin to Deep Red but it's mostly a weird melodrama about Keith and Moriarity's failing marriage.

The climax is kind of amusing but otherwise, meh.
(02-02-2019, 03:59 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 11:40 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Rewatched The Crazies remake. Forgot how good this was. Whatever happened to Breck Eisner? I don't  think he had too many fans in nerd circles for some reason, but he clearly had horror chops.

It was pretty good but what bothered me was the behavior of the infected varied so much. Some were crazed killers and others were just themselves but angry. Not to mention the way Sheriff Bullock killed on with a knife should have infected him.

They are shown at different stages of crazy, and it gets worse as the infection progresses (you can tell by how fucked up their faces are). And the Olyphant character was supposed to have some kind of immunity.
Tonight, I watched director Nicholas Pesce's follow-up to THE EYES OF MY MOTHER... PIERCING.

From its very first moments, it's a movie that wants to push the audience’s buttons and make us uncomfortable; it definitely succeeds, perhaps too much so.

It’s a portrait of some very screwed-up people that feels kind of transgressive in the way it presents its subjects in an almost deadpan way. There are some legitimately fantastic touches in here, as well as an overall playfulness to the filmmaking (from the usage of particular needle drops, to editorial quirks) that I think is ultimately key in keeping the film from being an oppressive or bleak experience. There’s also a bit of a Cronenbergian sort of influence running underneath all this, complete with unsettling bodily imagery galore.

The script does make it pretty obvious where things are probably heading fairly early on, but it features such an idiosyncratic central idea and relationship that it’s a fair trade-off. Christopher Abbott somehow manages to thread the needle of being disturbing, funny, and pathetic all at once, while Mia Wasikowska gives a fascinating “damaged weirdo” performance.

Needless to say, this won’t be a movie for everyone, or even most genre fans, perhaps, but I found it undeniably compelling on a certain level.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(02-02-2019, 10:33 PM)Adam_72 Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 03:59 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:

They are shown at different stages of crazy, and it gets worse as the infection progresses (you can tell by how fucked up their faces are). And the Olyphant character was supposed to have some kind of immunity.

He did? I swear I don't remember any of that.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Is this the thread to talk about the Resident Evil series? I'm almost done marathoning it, and this shit is full on nutbutts.
(02-05-2019, 11:22 PM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: Is this the thread to talk about the Resident Evil series? I'm almost done marathoning it, and this shit is full on nutbutts.

By all means!
I remember seeing Resident Evil 1 & Apocalypse in a theater; the first was good, the second abysmal.  Caught Extinction on DVD and was surprised by its unique look (Russell Mulcahy directing helps a lot).  Afterlife was kinda swill, Retribution was bugnuts insane in a charming way.  Final Chapter should not have indulged in so much Paul Greengrass-esque editing and never once felt like a climax to the series.
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
I think the first RESIDENT EVIL remains one of the better video game adaptations out there. More of an indictment on the quality of this particular subgenre, but still.

I know I’ve seen some of the sequels but I couldn’t tell you which ones. They all blur together. I think Jorah Mormont was in there at some point?
I kind of love Silent Hill. From what I understand it's nothing like the game. Do not like the sequel. Good day.
Resident Evil 1 (and Silent Hill) remain in the running for ‘Best Video Game Movie’, which is pretty pathetic, as they’re both pretty solidly average.

I guess Rampage is in the running now. Maybe Warcraft? God, it’s all so lame.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I'm so lame because I'd give Mortal Kombat that crown without a second thought. I still find that such a fun movie..
A lot of people think that, and it’s mind-boggling to me. I’d rather watch Street Fighter.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(02-06-2019, 06:08 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: Resident Evil 1 (and Silent Hill) remain in the running for ‘Best Video Game Movie’, which is pretty pathetic, as they’re both pretty solidly average.

I guess Rampage is in the running now. Maybe Warcraft? God, it’s all so lame.

Well Silent Hill is a cut above I think at least visually.
Nostalgia does strange things. I enjoy Street Fighter as well..
SILENT HILL is definitely right there at the top; its got atmosphere and works nicely as a horror film. That woman getting her skin pulled off is still pretty shocking.

Not really the thread for this, but the distinction between video game adaptation and video game movie is important - the direct adaptations are the ones that tend to be junk. I always think of EDGE OF TOMORROW and SOURCE CODE as video game movies, in that they use the language of video games to do their own thing, and are excellent.
Anybody heard of/seen/have an opinion of an (I assume) 80s horror flick called Time Walker about some archaeologists finding a tomb in Egypt, expecting to find mummies and such but find a mummified alien instead that isn't happy about being awoken? Sounds nuts..
(02-06-2019, 12:10 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Anybody heard of/seen/have an opinion of an (I assume) 80s horror flick called Time Walker about some archaeologists finding a tomb in Egypt, expecting to find mummies and such but find a mummified alien instead that isn't happy about being awoken? Sounds nuts..

Saw it when I was a kid and haven't seen it since. I don't remember it being particularly scary or good, and I vaguely remember it having more of a tv movie vibe. I don't remember there being much gore, just victims who are burned, or something, when the alien/mummy grabs the jewels, or whatever, it is looking for. I think the alien is more portrayed from a first person pov, where you see all the killings through its eyes, so you'll get a mummy hand reaching out and someone screaming, then they are dead with a burn mark on their bodies.

Then again, it has been years since I have seen it, so it might be better/more entertaining than I remember.
TIME WALKER showed up on MST3K under the title BEING FROM ANOTHER PLANET, so I've seen it in that form.

It felt like perfect programming for that show. It has a nicely abrupt, goofy ending, but that's about the only thing notable about it.
(02-06-2019, 04:15 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: I kind of love Silent Hill. From what I understand it's nothing like the game.

You're not much of a gamer then? The first SH movie is plenty like the game. And it's great.
Finally caught up with OVERLORD; it lands right in the sweet spot between legitimate action movie / men-on-a-mission thing and survival horror, with a sudden shift into gory zombie shenanigans in the third act. Much gorier than I was expecting actually, but very much up my alley. Between this and CLOVERFIELD PARADOX (over-hated!), I love that Bad Robot is willing to throw money at a junky B-movie sci-fi / horror premise, and dress it up a bit to give it that mid-level blockbuster shine. More please.

I also watched XTRO 2, which felt like a bunch of Canadians remaking ALIENS in their garage. As blatant a ripoff as anything I've seen, and yet... still kinda fun? It doesn't come close to the insanity of the first film, but it stands head and shoulders above any Asylum release, for instance.
(02-06-2019, 09:25 PM)Adam_72 Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 04:15 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: I kind of love Silent Hill. From what I understand it's nothing like the game.

You're not much of a gamer then? The first SH movie is plenty like the game. And it's great.

Nope not at all a gamer. But I thought Silent Hill was about a guy that killed his wife but didn't know it.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3545...lloween-2/

They got a writer.

Ok so which direction should they go?

Keep Michael and have him now go after Alyson?

Possibly a copycat killer inspired by 2018's events sprouts up AS WELL as Myers the next Halloween?

Same night, hospital, ala 1981?

Come on Fraid, Brad, Waaaaaaaalt and all the other Halloween heads, what should they do?
(02-07-2019, 02:04 PM)call me roy Wrote: https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3545...lloween-2/

They got a writer.

Ok so which direction should they go?

Busta Rhymes in Predator Killer armor.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Whatever they choose to do, I hope they have the good sense to leave the Strode family alone. Don't mess with that perfect sense of closure just because they threw a bunch of money at you. 

(02-07-2019, 12:16 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 09:25 PM)Adam_72 Wrote:

Nope not at all a gamer. But I thought Silent Hill was about a guy that killed his wife but didn't know it.

Plot and gameplay was always sort of secondary for me with the Silent Hill games. They were primarily about achieving a certain kind of atmosphere that was a melange of Lynch, Jacob's Ladder, The Mist, Koontz's Phantoms etc, and placing more importance on nightmare fuel than jump scares.
(02-07-2019, 03:43 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Whatever they choose to do, I hope they have the good sense to leave the Strode family alone. Don't mess with that perfect sense of closure just because they threw a bunch of money at you. 

The initial reporting indicates the surviving cast members are coming back.
(02-07-2019, 03:45 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 03:43 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Whatever they choose to do, I hope they have the good sense to leave the Strode family alone. Don't mess with that perfect sense of closure just because they threw a bunch of money at you. 

The initial reporting indicates the surviving cast members are coming back.

Fuck.
That's not necessarily bad. If they can achieve a good movie with an organic follow-up hook AND cap it off with even greater closure.

...or it could end with the Druids making a return and they kill Laurie, her daughter, her granddaughter and Michael Myers. Myers, by holding his head down in a puddle. Because that'd be satisfying and absolutely the way to go..
(02-07-2019, 05:13 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: That's not necessarily bad. If they can achieve a good movie with an organic follow-up hook AND cap it off with even greater closure.

...or it could end with the Druids making a return and they kill Laurie, her daughter, her granddaughter and Michael Myers. Myers, by holding his head down in a puddle. Because that'd be satisfying and absolutely the way to go..

People would be furious so no director would ever do that!
They should try the anthology thing again, and kick it off with a loose remake of SEASON OF THE WITCH.
A 40 years later sequel to Season of the Witch. Do it. How weird would that be?