Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
Nicolas Cage is immortal, so I don't think it would be too weird. Oh wait....

(02-07-2019, 02:04 PM)call me roy Wrote: https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3545...lloween-2/

They got a writer.

Ok so which direction should they go?

Keep Michael and have him now go after Alyson?

Possibly a copycat killer inspired by 2018's events sprouts up AS WELL as Myers the next Halloween?

Same night, hospital, ala 1981?

Come on Fraid, Brad, Waaaaaaaalt and all the other Halloween heads, what should they do?

Have the film be a shot for shot remake of scenes of Halloween 2 (1981) along with concurrently being a shot for shot remake of scenes of Halloween 2 (2009) spliced in with Michael chasing the survivors of Halloween (2018) which ends ends with the Halloween multiverse collapsing into itself after the Michaels cannot cope with the nature of their shared existence.

Or just kill some more teenagers. Whatevs
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
Ah, phooey. I'm reading online that the teaser for the Child's Play remake is playing in front of The Prodigy. I almost went to see that tonight but decided not to. What a fool I was!
The reviews for the supposedly "darK' Prodigy are interesting.  John Squires compared it to Orphan, which is pretty much the quickest way to my money.
Yeah, it's at least sounding a bit more intriguing than I was anticipating based on the trailer. I was expecting something extremely conventional.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
And the Child's Play trailer is online now, Bradito:

https://twitter.com/ChildsPlayMovie/stat...5847098374
Is-is Chucky a malevolent AI?
I actually think that CHILD'S PLAY teaser looks surprisingly okay, aside from the kid striking me as perhaps a couple of years too old. He looks resourceful, whereas Andy is incredibly vulnerable in the original.
(02-08-2019, 01:07 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: And the Child's Play trailer is online now, Bradito:

https://twitter.com/ChildsPlayMovie/stat...5847098374

Squee!
(02-08-2019, 03:23 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Is-is Chucky a malevolent AI?

Yes and it's dumb. Why dumber then an adult man who learned Voodoo possessing a doll you ask? I don't know it just is and im not happy about it.

(02-08-2019, 04:03 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I actually think that CHILD'S PLAY teaser looks surprisingly okay, aside from the kid striking me as perhaps a couple of years too old. He looks resourceful, whereas Andy is incredibly vulnerable in the original.

Yes way too old.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
That looks like a Platinum Dunes remake of Child's Play, only slightly less green.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
So, y'all know me, know how I feel about Orphan. I hadn't read any reviews about The Prodigy, hadn't really intended to see it, as the trailer did nothing for me, but I had a free day today, and just happened to check my MoviePass app, and Holy Shit, it was working! So I caught a late afternoon screening of The Prodigy, going in absolutely blind. I thought I was not going to like it much, just figured hey, free movie. About thirty minutes in, I was shocked to realize it was kinda good. Not great, or anything, but solid and a little bit reminiscent of the GOAT, my beloved Orphan. And then that feeling continued, and intensified.

Now to be clear, it's not Orphan. It's only got one scene that approaches that level of pitch black comic majesty, Colm Feore's big therapy scene. But the script isn't as good, the directing isn't as good, and Taylor Schilling is no Vera Farmiga, and Prodigy sure as fuck isn't no Orphan. But I got the taste of it. It's got more than a few moments I was surprised to find myself creeped out by. It's an interesting movie, not at all dull as I had feared, and the third act is actually shocking. Not the actual ending, that's actually a bit perfunctory, but the twenty minutes preceding it took a turn that I found staggering. I wish the film had threaded that needle a bit better, but on the whole, I came away more than satisfied.

Knowing it's weird and (very) dark going in, I don't know if this would have worked as well for me. But I didn't, and for fans of this subgenre, I'd say this is totally worth a watch. Not a classic by any means, but a nice surprise
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I think that might be one of the most well-articulated posts about a single movie I've ever read. Intelligent and informative without spoiling anything and it definitely succeeded in ensuring that I'll check The Prodigy out when the opportunity arises..
It's so weird seeing Aubrey Plaza in a Mom role.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Yeah, that is weird..
(02-08-2019, 09:59 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: It's so weird seeing Aubrey Plaza in a Mom role.

Yeah Hollywood is great. She was just playing a college girl on Spring Break like a year or so ago.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
This should go in the Netflix thread, but Kingdom is absolutely gorgeous.
(02-10-2019, 12:44 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: This should go in the Netflix thread, but Kingdom is absolutely gorgeous.

I was wondering...good?
I'm finishing up the second hour, and between the look and the Korean/GoT-lite flavoring, yeah . . . I'm digging it.
Hmmm I shall get to it eventually.
So I don't know if anyone's been watching Hulu's INTO THE DARK - it's basically an anthology of feature length films that are inspired by holidays. I haven't seen em all but I just watched the Christmas one. It's called Pooka and is directed by Nacho Vigalondo (Timecrimes and Colossal). Thought it was pretty great. Quite inventive despite a budget that's probably quite low. Can definitely recommend.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
My brother helped build the 'smoking Pooka' suit. He's got his hands in a few of those ITD's.
The early reviews for Happy Death Day 2 U are pretty good.  It's apparently a complete departure from the original (the trailer does seem to indicate that), and I tend to like sequels that follow their own paths.

I'm excited.
My daughter really wants me to take her to see HDD2U for her birthday this weekend.
I saw "Happy Death Day 2 U" last night at a screening sponsored by a local radio station that I actively dislike. I thought the first act was a little convoluted, but once we're back in the time loop, it's all fun and games. The movie's surprisingly emotional (I think I heard some ppl openly weeping) and more of a straight-up comedy than a horror film. Jessica Rothe is again terrific. If you liked the first one, I can't imagine you'll come away disappointed. But my imagination isn't very good.

Also, there's a mid-credits scene.
Screen Junkies gave Happy Death 2U a good review.
[video=youtube]http://[/video]
 I'm looking forward to seeing it Thursday night.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Kind of interesting to see 2001's Valentine get the Scream Factory treatment.  I only watched the film once and remember really disliking it.  In recent years, though, enough essays have come around that have made me wonder if it's worth another shot:

http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/valentine/

Quote:Similarly, the film is given such a slick, late-‘90s/early 2000s polish by cinematographer Rick Bota and Stephen Geaghan’s production design team that it seems to exist in a world that barely has anything in common with reality. VALENTINE takes place in some sort of fantasy world where everyone is glamorous (including every scumbag potential love interest/suspect in the orbit of the leads) and live the sort of effortlessly comfortable life found in glossy romantic comedies. If one were so inclined, it would be possible to see some sort of socio-economic subtext about the have-nots taking their revenge, but I don’t think VALENTINE has anything more on its mind than providing a framework for several impressive slasher set-pieces (which Blanks more or less confirms on both commentary tracks).

But it is hard to fault a slasher film for being more invested in the kill sequences than the characters. That is especially true when those sequences are as clever and well shot/edited (Heigl’s opening death and one set in a pretentious video art installation with a bow and arrow are the best on display) as they are here. Even with the film going light on the blood and gore, the killer’s cherub mask is a great, creepy design and the idea of a Valentine’s Day slasher villain looking like they stepped right out of a Valentine’s Day card is so obvious, I’m surprised it hadn’t been done before.

While the thinly-written characters are hardly worth caring about if they get knocked off or not, the performances do add a layer of likability to the women who are the obvious target of the killer. This is where the ridiculous contrivances to keep them alive for as long as possible kick in and provide most of the fun. As each creepy guy is lined up as a potential suspect (and there are a lot of them in this flick), Blanks takes each possible killer as far as he can before having them bite the bullet in over-the-top bits. Sure, this is the usual structure of a slasher flick, but VALENTINE takes advantage of that structure to give us such absurd moments as a man getting pummeled to death by a clothes iron being swung by its cord. This is the reason we watch slasher flicks.

Interestingly, Don Coscareli is a fan of the film and appears on the commentary:

Quote:The best—and most illuminating—extra is a commentary with Blanks where he is joined by indie genre god Don Coscarelli (who is apparently a big fan of the director and the film) and moderator Peter Bracke (author of Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th). While Blanks is always upbeat about the work the cast and crew did on the film, what emerges is a portrait of a young director who struggled to work under the constraints of studio demands. Without ever saying he was unhappy with the compromises he made on the film, Blanks is always quick to point out the numerous moments where his vision differed from Warner Bros. It is hard to blame him when he reveals such things as his cut of the film getting an R-rating, but the studio mandated he cut back on the blood and gore anyway or the fact that he wanted to reveal who the killer was (since it had already been spoiled by announcements in the trades when the casting of the actor outed them as the film’s villain) right away and change it from a “whodunit” to a “whydunit.” Despite his first two American films turning a profit, it’s not surprising that Blanks returned to Australia to continue his film career—curiously, largely as a composer of scores—following VALENTINE. An older commentary from the film’s previous DVD release is included and features a less frustrated Blanks, but adds nothing you cannot get from the newer, better one.
I watched CANDYMAN for the first time, after being extremely dismissive of it for years, assuming it was just another in a long line of slasher franchises adhering to the same tired formula*. Boy, was I wrong. Its terrific, and way ahead of its time; everything from the way it approaches social issues to all the wonderful little cinematic flourishes (those birds-eye tracking shots of desolate urban highways feel very fresh in a 1992 film).

*also it seemed very tough to track down; it got that proper US blu ray release a couple months back, which I blind-bought
(02-13-2019, 01:45 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Kind of interesting to see 2001's Valentine get the Scream Factory treatment.  I only watched the film once and remember really disliking it.  In recent years, though, enough essays have come around that have made me wonder if it's worth another shot:

I've never seen VALENTINE, but that's changing tomorrow night when a group of my friends are getting together for a double feature of that and the original (best) MY BLOODY VALENTINE.

VALENTINE was one I avoided because it looked like such an uninspired attempt to cash-in on SCREAM, but it seems to have gained a bit of a fanbase over the years, so I'm interested to see it now.
(02-13-2019, 03:03 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 01:45 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Kind of interesting to see 2001's Valentine get the Scream Factory treatment.  I only watched the film once and remember really disliking it.  In recent years, though, enough essays have come around that have made me wonder if it's worth another shot:

I've never seen VALENTINE, but that's changing tomorrow night when a group of my friends are getting together for a double feature of that and the original (best) MY BLOODY VALENTINE.  

VALENTINE was one I avoided because it looked like such an uninspired attempt to cash-in on SCREAM, but it seems to have gained a bit of a fanbase over the years, so I'm interested to see it now.

It'll be interesting to see what you think.  

The essays have been interesting to read.  Films like Valentine, Black Christmas (remake) and Friday the 13th: A New Beginning all seem to be getting fresh looks nowadays.
This one wasn't on my radar, but it totally is now:

I'm rooting for Octavia to murder everyone.
Diablero on Netflix is pretty good. It's basically Supernatural Mexico and it's really fun.
We're getting this one next month. The trailer spoils a lot, FYI.

(02-07-2019, 12:16 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 09:25 PM)Adam_72 Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 04:15 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: I kind of love Silent Hill. From what I understand it's nothing like the game.

You're not much of a gamer then? The first SH movie is plenty like the game. And it's great.

Nope not at all a gamer. But I thought Silent Hill was about a guy that killed his wife but didn't know it.

That's the second game. The big monster in the Silent Hill movie is from that second game though, and tied up into that game's protagonist.
(02-13-2019, 11:44 PM)simbob Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 12:16 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 09:25 PM)Adam_72 Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 04:15 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: I kind of love Silent Hill. From what I understand it's nothing like the game.

You're not much of a gamer then? The first SH movie is plenty like the game. And it's great.

Nope not at all a gamer. But I thought Silent Hill was about a guy that killed his wife but didn't know it.

That's the second game. The big monster in the Silent Hill movie is from that second game though, and tied up into that game's protagonist.

Ahh ok. Also let me say again stay far away from the movie sequel. Fucking terrible.