Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS (2019) Pre-Release Discussion
Ask and you shall receive:

https://www.ebay.com/i/123537102194?chn=...4091221250
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Good man. From Hong Kong though! Oof. I miss Athena.
Keep in mind, that was only searching for about 2 minutes. There might be sources closer to your locale.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

New TV spot that seems to prove that those were two new kaiju we saw in the last trailer.

Just this guy, you know?
I love that new shot of Rodan and Ghidorah flying towards each other through the clouds.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I still don't understand why, when you have David Strathairn in your film, you don't have all your trailers focused on him.
what a handsome fellow!
Why does David Strathairn, the handsomest of the cast, simply not eat the others?

(02-18-2019, 07:09 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: New TV spot that seems to prove that those were two new kaiju we saw in the last trailer.

Ahhhh HA
(02-18-2019, 07:12 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I love that new shot of Rodan and Ghidorah flying towards each other through the clouds.

So do I. I was worried Rodan might be a heel since a trailer showed him destroying jets. I'm glad he will fight Ghidorah. It also reminds me of one of my favorite moments in Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster. Its when Rodan get Ghidorah to chase him just so he can do a 180 and fly into him.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
I think they're definitely going to be honoring the "three against one" dynamic for the final battle. They have to!
So after doing battle with 3 epic monsters I do wonder how you make Godzilla VS. King Kong feel as epic.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(02-20-2019, 02:10 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: So after doing battle with 3 epic monsters I do wonder how you make Godzilla VS. King Kong feel as epic.

I've been wondering that, too, since it's all but a foregone conclusion that film will also involve the two monsters teaming up to take down a bigger foe. The studio's not going to let either creature be the antagonist all the way through.
(02-20-2019, 02:22 AM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 02:10 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: So after doing battle with 3 epic monsters I do wonder how you make Godzilla VS. King Kong feel as epic.

I've been wondering that, too, since it's all but a foregone conclusion that film will also involve the two monsters teaming up to take down a bigger foe. The studio's not going to let either creature be the antagonist all the way through.
Right. You would think Ghidorah would be the one you would hold back so Godzilla and Kong have something to team up against. Which one of the biggies is left now for them to fight? Mechagodzilla? Godzilla's doughboy son?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Destroyah would work as something so monstrous that Godzilla and Kong would have to team up to fight it.

It looks like a Kaiju Devil.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Yeah that looks pretty fucked up. It has a horn!
(02-20-2019, 02:42 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:

I've been wondering that, too, since it's all but a foregone conclusion that film will also involve the two monsters teaming up to take down a bigger foe.  The studio's not going to let either creature be the antagonist all the way through.
Right. You would think Ghidorah would be the one you would hold back so Godzilla and Kong have something to team up against. Which one of the biggies is left now for them to fight? Mechagodzilla? Godzilla's doughboy son?

I feel like Mechagodzilla in the Legendary Monsterverse would be built by humans to fight monsters (a la the Heisei and Millennium films) rather than the weapon of alien invaders. But I do think whatever they go with as the ultimate baddie in G vs KK should be extraterrestrial or unnatural in some way, like genetic engineering gone awry or some other mad science shit. Destroyah fits the bill but I'm not sure he's really famous enough to license. Could always be something original since it'll already be headlined by the two biggest names.
(02-20-2019, 05:00 AM)dan benenson Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 02:42 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:

I've been wondering that, too, since it's all but a foregone conclusion that film will also involve the two monsters teaming up to take down a bigger foe.  The studio's not going to let either creature be the antagonist all the way through.

I feel like Mechagodzilla in the Legendary Monsterverse would be built by humans to fight monsters (a la the Heisei and Millennium films) rather than the weapon of alien invaders. But I do think whatever they go with as the ultimate baddie in G vs KK should be extraterrestrial or unnatural in some way, like genetic engineering gone awry or some other mad science shit. Destroyah fits the bill but I'm not sure he's really famous enough to license. Could always be something original since it'll already be headlined by the two biggest names.

Yes I kind of do like the idea of us trying to create some super monster we think we can control to defend us but then it turns on us and Godzilla once again has to drag his ass from beneath the ocean to kill it.
The original GvKK was only the third in the series, but at that point Godzilla had only fought the Japanese army and Anguirus.
Just this guy, you know?
(02-20-2019, 08:29 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: The original GvKK was only the third in the series, but at that point Godzilla had only fought the Japanese army and Anguirus.

You sure about that?

I seem to recall Mothra being the third.
Richard is correct. GvKK was the third Showa entry. It's the only early era flick I haven't seen. Mothra was the fourth (and the best).

I'm expecting GvKK20 to riff heavily on the end of v Destoroyah whether or not Destoroyah is actually in it
(02-20-2019, 01:37 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Richard is correct. GvKK was the third Showa entry. It's the only early era flick I haven't seen. Mothra was the fourth (and the best).

I must be wearing orthotics, cause I stand corrected.

**Looks like Mothra came out in 1961 BUT did not feature Godzilla (they matched up later).  Funny how memory plays tricks on you, I'd forgotten that Godzilla didn't appear in the first Mothra movie.
Watched GMK: Giant Monsters all-out Attack again today. It's been a while since I've seen it last, but I'm digging them all up to get ready.

I think this might be on the only one where Ghidorah was a good guy.

Godzilla was a straight dick in this one.

Also not sure how Godzilla is standing in the water like waist high and then the next scene he's in the same water, but this time is completely underwater standing on the ocean floor?!?!

(02-20-2019, 01:48 PM)Overlord Wrote: **Looks like Mothra came out in 1961 BUT did not feature Godzilla (they matched up later).  Funny how memory plays tricks on you, I'd forgotten that Godzilla didn't appear in the first Mothra movie.

I believe that Mothra and Rodan each had their own stand-alone film before they teamed up with or against Godzilla.

They had some major frenemy shit going.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
I think about that periodically, it’s in the showa and heisei movies too - like in Godzilla vs Gigan they cut to a shot of him swimming from monster island and his head is sticking out of the water so like is he doggy paddling?

Re: kaiju continuity, Rodan came out in 1956 hot on the heels of the success of the first two Godzilla movies, and didn’t return until Ghidora The Three-Headed Monster in ‘64.

So it went Godzilla -> G vs Anguirus -> Rodan -> Varan -> Mothra -> G vs King Kong -> G vs Mothra -> Ghidora vs Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan
Still have my battered old copy of Ghidora sitting around.

Man, I loved these movies as a little kid.
I still love these movies as a grown ass manchild.
Git' in under mah belly!
As do I!
Big G-Force high five!
Git' in under mah belly!
I'll be a giant monster kid forever and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I can agree with that.

One of the last movies/characters that makes me remember what it's like to be a kid again.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
Kinda wish these came out when I was a kid. I still like them but they would have shattered my mind when I was 12.
So does that mean some of you will be at G-Fest in July?
In retrospect, maybe I should not have admitted to eating my own smegma on a Ritz cracker. It was a lapse in judgement. Moltisanti
I'm good with getting these movies as an adult. I'd like to think they're keeping me young; or at least immature.
Agreed that I'm happy viewing these as an adult but also agreed young MM would've lost his shit at these movies.

Japanese poster:

[Image: gjr7boa8u5k21.jpg]

I can hear the roar in my mind.  It's beautiful. 

**Godzilla looking thicc.  Real Lizard-Monsters have curves.