Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Captain Marvel Post-Release Discussion brought to you by Overlord
Let's get this going early to avoid the temptation to put spoilers/hints in the pre-release thread.

Have two friends who saw it through work.  Interestingly enough, the one who is a big MCU fan was fairly tepid about it, while the other who is STAR WARS 4EVAH and not really into the MCU seemed like he had a lot of fun with it.
I'm worried.
(03-05-2019, 09:02 PM)freeman Wrote: I'm worried.

Why? You dont have any skin in this game.
Because I want to like it, and I'm worried that I won't.

I always want to enjoy a movie.
(03-05-2019, 10:44 PM)freeman Wrote: I always want to enjoy a movie.

This is the healthiest viewpoint.
One thing Anthem has reminded me is that if something looks like it might be kind of lacking, or lackluster, or it gives me vibes that aren't quite working for me, usually you can trust that vibe.
(03-05-2019, 11:06 PM)freeman Wrote: One thing Anthem has reminded me is that if something looks like it might be kind of lacking, or lackluster, or it gives me vibes that aren't quite working for me, usually you can trust that vibe.

Hey now.  This is a safe space.
Glad we have another thread to have a pre-release convo with in!
Well, in 24 hours Ill be able to tell you guys if its great, good, solid, mediocre or awful AND feminist/empowering!

I kid, I kid.

As long as its fun and postive, Ill be ok with this.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
(03-05-2019, 11:57 PM)bradito Wrote: Glad we have another thread to have a pre-release convo with in!

Don't be like dat, baby.
Sorry, please continue with all of your spoiler-filled analysis of the film none of us has seen.
You haven't seen it?! THEN GET OUT OF THIS THREAD THERE'S SPOILERS HERE!
is this thread not brought to us by overlord?

if so, the thread title would indicate it

so it must not be
(03-06-2019, 04:38 AM)Nooj Wrote: is this thread not brought to us by overlord?

if so, the thread title would indicate it

so it must not be

All in good time, my nooj.  All in good time.
That was fun enough. Typically dependable mid-tier Marvel. My only serious complaint is the REALLY FUCKING AWFUL editing during the fight sequences. Worse than usual - can't see a fucking thing.
The rest is good fun. Great cast. It's the 21st Marvel film - you should know what you're getting by now?
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
(03-05-2019, 10:44 PM)freeman Wrote: Because I want to like it, and I'm worried that I won't.

I always want to enjoy a movie.

Stop it. How many millions do you have invested in this film? And did you get to pet the cat?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Aggressively okay. Almost bland. Competent in execution. Larson is miscast. She didn't really bring any energy to the table and felt uninterested. You come out of the cinema positively un-buzzed. No passion. No energy.

Nice and 'respectful' new Marvel Fanfare.
Sunset with a long nose.....
What, no "brought to you by Overlord?"
home taping is killing music
it must not be brought to us by overlord

he is gone
Gone? HE CAN'T BE GONE! I WON'T LET HIM!!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(03-06-2019, 03:27 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Gone?  HE CAN'T BE GONE! I WON'T LET HIM!!

[Image: mrw-i-come-across-an-all-night-marathon-...-82894.gif]
there it is!
I feel one aspect of the film that far too many people are overlooking and not making part of the conversation is how effectively it answers the question: "If you paint Gemma Chan a silly colour, is she still HOT AS FUCK?"
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Well, she played a robot wearing super intense colored contact lenses, so, no, don't think skin color would be an issue.
It’s good and solid; not third phase MCU level, but neither second phase level.
I’d said it’s right there with the first phase of Marvel films, which oddly fits since it’s a retro origin story for the NCU timeline.
Everyone is solid in it, with Larsen and Mendelsohn standing out character wise, and Goose the MVP.
Benning and Jackson are clearly enjoying things the most out of the cast.
Basically, it’s a formulaic Marvel movie; won’t convince haters or the uninterest, will entertain casual audiences and please fans.
The Marvel logo however, is the most emotional moment of the film, and rightly so.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

This is not doing much to help the lack of hype for me.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
(03-06-2019, 11:17 PM)ryoken Wrote: It’s good and solid; not third phase MCU level, but neither second phase level.
I’d said it’s right there with the first phase of Marvel films, which oddly fits since it’s a retro origin story for the NCU timeline.
Everyone is solid in it, with Larsen and Mendelsohn standing out character wise, and Goose the MVP.
Benning and Jackson are clearly enjoying things the most out of the cast.
Basically, it’s a formulaic Marvel movie; won’t convince haters or the uninterest, will entertain casual audiences and please fans.
The Marvel logo however, is the most emotional moment of the film, and rightly so.

These type of middling reviews are starting to kinda scare me more than hate-filled screeds.
If I hate cats will I hate the movie?

Cats are the wurst.
It’s not the second coming of women led films, but it’s not bad or solid; it’s good, entertaining superhero origin film.
It’s Wonder Woman level; fun and feel good, but not great or flawless.
Had it been released with the first phase of Marvel movies, everyone would be raving about it; post Winter Soldier, Civil War, Black Panther and IW, it’s just good enough and a good starting point for the character.

(03-06-2019, 11:22 PM)freeman Wrote: If I hate cats will I hate the movie?

Cats are the wurst.

Hey fuck you.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Nah...cats are assholes. Dogs are the best.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Look hate Brie Larson all day long but I will NOT stand for cat slander. Im all about the cat and his adventures.
Home now so I can elaborate.
The movie is good and fun, but it has 3 big problems that drag it down:
First is the fact that making amnesia a key element of the plot and also the main character's motivation, saddled Larson with a character with little to no backstory, and thus she doesnt have much to work with, and once that key element is resolved, the movie has shifted into Marvel formula all action third act, and we end up with a movie that is more Captain Marvel's origin than Carol Danver's story.
Second is that the movie, being an active prequel to the whole MCU (Captain America and the Agent Carter series had the advantage of being set decades in the past) and even setting up Fury's role in it, needs to play things safe and formulaic, and thus it doesnt take big risks like, say, the reveal of HYDRA being behind SHIELD in Winter Soldier, Zemo's real plan succeeding in Civil War, Killmonger's true motivations in Black Panther or the Snap in Infinity War.
Third is that no matter what, the despicable actions of the toxic fandom and sociopolitical manipulators have ended up giving the movie an hype and controversy that it doesnt deserve at all; its clearly just another marvel superhero movie, but its been put, both by Marvel and the haters/pundits online, on a position it never should had been on.
Thats about it.

Cats are evil little demons. Why do you think they have those evil looking eyes?
(03-07-2019, 12:34 AM)freeman Wrote: Cats are evil little demons.  Why do you think they have those evil looking eyes?

Heh, I have a siamese. I did not know before getting her that because her eyes are blue, in the dark they glow...

RED.

Imagine going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and noticing two glowing red eyes tracking you. Watching. Unblinking. Then comes the most horrifying sound imaginable... 

"PEEP!"

Okay, so my cat can't pull off the scene with a blood-curdling yowl (or even a meow), but you get the idea.
Gamertag: Tweakee