Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.19 Average
Trumpocalypse Now
It doesn't cease to amaze me that career politicians. like Barr among others, would risk everything and possibly going to jail just to cover up for Trump.

I am now convinced that Trump has some sorta mind control machine, ala Lex Luthor, that he uses on people immediately upon meeting them and thus puts them under his devious control.
(04-03-2019, 10:06 PM)history buff Wrote: It doesn't cease to amaze me that career politicians. like Barr among others, would risk everything and possibly going to jail just to cover up for Trump.

I am now convinced that Trump has some sorta mind control machine, ala Lex Luthor, that he uses on people immediately upon meeting them and thus puts them under his devious control.

These assholes really believe that they are above the law and are untouchable...the idea that they will be caught rarely, if ever enters their mind.

While I dearly want DJT to be humiliated and forced out, I think I want that to happen to McConnell more.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
(04-03-2019, 10:19 PM)vtran Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 10:06 PM)history buff Wrote: It doesn't cease to amaze me that career politicians. like Barr among others, would risk everything and possibly going to jail just to cover up for Trump.

These assholes really believe that they are above the law and are untouchable...the idea that they will be caught rarely, if ever enters their mind.

While I dearly want DJT to be humiliated and forced out, I think I want that to happen to McConnell more.

When is the last time a white collar criminal's life was really ruined by getting caught?  It's not like they're forced to work at McDonald's to survive afterward.  They declare bankruptcy if need be, they shake a few hands and nod at a few acquaintances, and they're back CEO'ing or lawyering or whatever it is they were doing that led them to a life of crime in the first place, sitting on the beach earning twenty percent.
Poets have tried to describe Ankh-Morpork. They have failed. Perhaps it's the sheer zestful vitality of the place, or maybe it's just that a city with a million inhabitants and no sewers is rather robust for poets, who prefer daffodils and no wonder. - Terry Pratchett, Mort
(04-03-2019, 08:57 AM)ryoken Wrote: Trump claims windmill noise causes cancer....oh, and that there is a voter fraud conspiracy against the GOP

https://splinternews.com/trump-got-super...1833764897

This isn't just an example of Trump being stupid, its a reminder of how anti-science the GOP is.  They don't believe in climate change; many don't believe in evolution. Trump, along with Christie and Rand Paul think there may be something wrong with vaccines. Both Christie and Paul have said their kids didn't get all of there vaccinations at once. Being kinda stupid still means you're stupid.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
(04-03-2019, 11:40 PM)gseabass inna bun Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 10:19 PM)vtran Wrote:

When is the last time a white collar criminal's life was really ruined by getting caught?  It's not like they're forced to work at McDonald's to survive afterward.  They declare bankruptcy if need be, they shake a few hands and nod at a few acquaintances, and they're back CEO'ing or lawyering or whatever it is they were doing that led them to a life of crime in the first place, sitting on the beach earning twenty percent.

Skrelli at least got 7 years and was just thrown in the hole because he was using a cellphone to keep doing business while behind bars.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Shkreli's in solitary? FUCK. YES.

WaPo is now backing up NYT's Mueller team quotes. Sounds like the obstruction details are gonna be pretty damning.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
(04-04-2019, 01:19 AM)huntertarantino Wrote: WaPo is now backing up NYT's Mueller team quotes. Sounds like the obstruction details are gonna be pretty damning.
Yup:
Quote:Summaries were prepared for different sections of the report, with a view that they could made public, the official said.

The report was prepared "so that the front matter from each section could have been released immediately - or very quickly," the official said. "It was done in a way that minimum redactions, if any, would have been necessary, and the work would have spoken for itself."
Call me crazy, but I'm beginning to suspect that this Barr fellow may already have decided what he wanted to conclude about this investigation months before he was even nominated, or something.

And Martin Shkreli's suffering at the hands of his own arrogant sociopathic stupidity will never not bring me joy.
(04-03-2019, 11:40 PM)seabass inna bun Wrote: When is the last time a white collar criminal's life was really ruined by getting caught?  It's not like they're forced to work at McDonald's to survive afterward.  They declare bankruptcy if need be, they shake a few hands and nod at a few acquaintances, and they're back CEO'ing or lawyering or whatever it is they were doing that led them to a life of crime in the first place, sitting on the beach earning twenty percent.

I don't think Manafort's feelin too hot these days.

I agree that the justice system is, well... unjust. But while some of these guys go free, and many more get less punishment than they deserve, there is some solace to be had in the fact that for many of them, even a smaller penalty like a few years in prison is both humiliating and really, really painful.

I've spent two days in prison in my life. It wasn't OZ, or Shawshank, but it was still not fun. For these guys that think they're the Kings of the world, not being able to do what they want every day for even just a couple of years would have to be a waking nightmare.

So buck up! They -are- suffering! Yeah!
Gamertag: Tweakee
I want them beggared. I really would like to see anyone who does go to prison over all this truly ruined in the only way that matters to them: financially. I want to see them released from prison with nothing to their names but a cheap suit and $20. This is the way to undo the damage of the Greed is Good era that produced the likes of Shkreli and Trump 1 and Trump 1a and 1b and Ivanka and that wan little weasel Kushner too.

As for Manafort, yeah, but he's old, and was probably playing it up for the judge too. And he may not want to leave because who knows who he squealed on and what sort of poisons they have at their disposal. Special case.
Poets have tried to describe Ankh-Morpork. They have failed. Perhaps it's the sheer zestful vitality of the place, or maybe it's just that a city with a million inhabitants and no sewers is rather robust for poets, who prefer daffodils and no wonder. - Terry Pratchett, Mort
(04-03-2019, 09:45 PM)ryoken Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 09:36 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Other big news being lost in the shuffle tonight:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/11...4024244224

Quote:Senate votes 51-48 to change the rules and cut debate time for certain nominations from 30 hours to 2 hours.

The move was led by Mitch McConnell; all Republicans except Susan Collins and Mike Lee voted to nuke the rules. Kamala Harris was absent.

McConnell, who is often mischaracterized as an institutionalist, has been willing to scrap Senate traditions/rules if there's a compelling ideological or partisan benefit (e.g. ramping up legislative filibusters, axing blue slips, and nuking SCOTUS filibuster & now debate time).

Joe Manchin is on the floor saying the hypocrisy surrounding this Senate rule change is "why people think Washington sucks."

McConnell’s nuclear-style rule change lets him confirm Trump’s district court judge nominees 15X as quickly as he’s doing now. (The Senate has already confirmed 53 district judges during this presidency.)

https://splinternews.com/mitch-mcconnell...1833793217

“The Senate has changed so dramatically under McConnell’s influence,” Sen. Richard Durbin told the Times. “He is corrupting the Senate into an institution that is more like the House of Lords than what the framers intended. We have walked away from amending, debating and legislating.”

That is an implicit mischaracterisation of the House of Lords in practice, but using the old country has a punching bag is pretty stock I suppose.
If he gets impeached, will he even know?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-men...9b0ec32806

Quote:"Hillary wanted to put up wind. Wind. If you ― if you have a windmill anywhere near your house, congratulations: Your house just went down 75 percent in value. And they say the noise causes cancer. You tell me that one, OK? “Rrrrr, rrrrr” ― you know the thing that makes the ― it’s so noisy. And of course it’s like a graveyard for birds. If you love birds, you’d never want to walk under a windmill because it’s a very sad, sad sight. It’s like a cemetery. We put a little, we put a little statute for the poor birds. It’s true. You know in California, if you shoot a bald eagle, they put you in jail for five years. And yet the windmills wipe ’em all out. It’s true. They wipe ’em out. It’s terrible. And I told the other day at CPAC. Great people at CPAC. We had an incredible thing. I had nothing to do. It was early on a Saturday morning. I had just gotten back from dealing with Kim Jong Un. We had a walk. He wasn’t ready for a deal but that’s OK because we get along great. He wasn’t ready. I told him, you’re not ready for a deal. That’s the first time anybody has ever told him that and left. It never happened to him before. Nobody’s ever left. But I said you’re not ready for a deal, but we’ll make a deal. We have a good relationship. We have a good relationship. But I told a story about, at CPAC. The woman, she wants to watch television. And she says to her husband, “Is the wind blowing? I’d love to watch a show tonight, darling. The wind hasn’t blown for three days. I can’t watch television, darling. Darling, please tell the wind to blow.” No, wind’s not so good. And you know, you have no idea how expensive it is to make those things. They’re all made in China and Germany, but the way, just in case you’re ― we don’t make ’em here, essentially. We don’t make ’em here. And by the way, the carbon, and all those things flying up in the air, you know the carbon footprint? President Obama used to talk about the carbon footprint, and then he’d hop on Air Force One, a big 747 with very old engines, and he’d fly to Hawaii to play a round of golf. You tell me, the carbon footprint."
Gamertag: Tweakee
[Image: old.jpg]

I hadn't read the whole quote... just holeee shit.
(04-04-2019, 07:01 AM)farsight Wrote: If he gets impeached, will he even know?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-men...9b0ec32806

Quote:"Hillary wanted to put up wind. Wind. If you ― if you have a windmill anywhere near your house, congratulations: Your house just went down 75 percent in value. And they say the noise causes cancer. You tell me that one, OK? “Rrrrr, rrrrr” ― you know the thing that makes the ― it’s so noisy. And of course it’s like a graveyard for birds. If you love birds, you’d never want to walk under a windmill because it’s a very sad, sad sight. It’s like a cemetery. We put a little, we put a little statute for the poor birds. It’s true. You know in California, if you shoot a bald eagle, they put you in jail for five years. And yet the windmills wipe ’em all out. It’s true. They wipe ’em out. It’s terrible. And I told the other day at CPAC. Great people at CPAC. We had an incredible thing. I had nothing to do. It was early on a Saturday morning. I had just gotten back from dealing with Kim Jong Un. We had a walk. He wasn’t ready for a deal but that’s OK because we get along great. He wasn’t ready. I told him, you’re not ready for a deal. That’s the first time anybody has ever told him that and left. It never happened to him before. Nobody’s ever left. But I said you’re not ready for a deal, but we’ll make a deal. We have a good relationship. We have a good relationship. But I told a story about, at CPAC. The woman, she wants to watch television. And she says to her husband, “Is the wind blowing? I’d love to watch a show tonight, darling. The wind hasn’t blown for three days. I can’t watch television, darling. Darling, please tell the wind to blow.” No, wind’s not so good. And you know, you have no idea how expensive it is to make those things. They’re all made in China and Germany, but the way, just in case you’re ― we don’t make ’em here, essentially. We don’t make ’em here. And by the way, the carbon, and all those things flying up in the air, you know the carbon footprint? President Obama used to talk about the carbon footprint, and then he’d hop on Air Force One, a big 747 with very old engines, and he’d fly to Hawaii to play a round of golf. You tell me, the carbon footprint."

Boy when you see it just written out like that....
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            

Let me tell you about the oranges of that terlet.
Devin Nunes crawled out of whatever hole he's been hiding in to ramp up Mueller smearing operations again (the Mueller Dossier!), which I can only assume means the full report is going to be released any day now and TOTAL EXONERATION may have been a bit of a stretch.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/statu...8746005504
Given that this is Devin Nunes, it seems entirely possible that he'll release the entire unredacted report himself by accident.
I know the answer already but I wonder how those Republicans who DEMANDED Schiff resign immediately are feeling today? I also wonder how those media outlets with their mea culpas are feeling today? My guess is that the legal conclusions will probably remain the same but that doesn't mean that the Mueller report is going to make Trump look innocent. I imagine there was all sorts of things the Trump team did with the Russians that was technically okay to do legally but on a practical level makes them look guilty and compromised like nobody's business.
(04-04-2019, 12:02 PM)ChrisW Wrote: I know the answer already but I wonder how those Republicans who DEMANDED Schiff resign immediately are feeling today?   I also wonder how those media outlets with their mea culpas are feeling today?   My guess is that the legal conclusions will probably remain the same but that doesn't mean that the Mueller report is going to make Trump look innocent.   I imagine there was all sorts of things the Trump team did with the Russians that was technically okay to do legally but on a practical level makes them look guilty and compromised like nobody's business.

We don't need a report for that.  He publicly confessed to collusion when he exhorted the Russians to attack our country on national TV, and confessed to obstruction to Lester Holt, again on national TV.  I don't know why the Resistance has such a hard time with keeping that front and center to every last discussion of these issues.
https://www.hillreporter.com/mueller-tea...aign-29825
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

(04-04-2019, 12:14 PM)schwartz Wrote: [quote='ChrisW' pid='4600429' dateline='1554393736']
I know the answer already but I wonder how those Republicans who DEMANDED Schiff resign immediately are feeling today?   I also wonder how those media outlets with their mea culpas are feeling today?   My guess is that the legal conclusions will probably remain the same but that doesn't mean that the Mueller report is going to make Trump look innocent.   I imagine there was all sorts of things the Trump team did with the Russians that was technically okay to do legally but on a practical level makes them look guilty and compromised like nobody's business.

We don't need a report for that.  He publicly confessed to collusion when he exhorted the Russians to attack our country on national TV, and confessed to obstruction to Lester Holt, again on national TV.  I don't know why the Resistance has such a hard time with keeping that front and center to every last discussion of these issues.

I have kept that front and center with my useless Facebook arguments over this.   We are not dealing with people who can be persuaded with facts.   My point is that there's probably a lot of serious things that were discovered that are not criminal by the letter of the law but are definitely wrong.
So at this point - the Report itself still unknown to the public and Congress - it seems like Mueller went for a very narrow definition of collusion. 

The "no obstruction" conclusion also seems more and more based in Mueller's adhering to DOJ guidelines that a sitting president can't be indicted.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
So is the argument going to be "They're not traitors, they're just idiots!"?
Some will be idiots, some will be traitors. That's how it'll pan out. When it comes down to it, the scandal will reduce itself down to people pleading down to being mere idiots to avoid jail time.
(04-04-2019, 12:37 PM)MichaelM Wrote: So at this point - the Report itself still unknown to the public and Congress - it seems like Mueller went for a very narrow definition of collusion. 

The "no obstruction" conclusion also seems more and more based in Mueller's adhering to DOJ guidelines that a sitting president can't be indicted.

I thought that was pretty clear from the start.  It was never a very credible fiction that the investigation would reveal that these guys were acting super guilty and super incompetent at every point over the last 3 years were actually mostly innocent or competent enough to cover their tracks very well.  Barr's blurb was a cheap trick, and we have all the info we need to know why he did it, and to be pretty certain that if there was any actual piece of information anywhere in the report that was actually remotely exculpatory of Trump, he would have banged on it like Buster Bluth in a drum circle. 

But from there we have to try to get a read on Mueller, who is much harder to nail down.  He has played it maddeningly close to the vest throughout, which makes it very hard to infer how exaclty his loyalties divide as an institutionalist Republican who is charged with investigating a (nominally) Republican head of those institutions that is also pretty hell bent on destroying them himself. Only two things really seem clear about his approach at this point.  One, he is not a stooge trying to assist with GOP clean-up efforts, as if the whole investigation was designed to be a dog and pony show to reach a foregone conclusion exonerating Trump, they could have brought in that result much earlier, when there was still a Republican Congress to help bury it, and with a lot more less serious and specific charges brought about the collusion they wanted keep under wraps.  

But two, Mueller is not nearly as enthusiastic about completely destroying a sitting POTUS as many of us would like, hence punting the highest level issues to Congress.  However damning the further details in the report may be (and I'm sure they are fucking filthy), the lack of further indictments puts a ceiling on just how much hope we should have for further bombshells to be found in there.  There are unlikely to be any new smoking guns, just confirmations that yes, that is definitely smoke pouring out of all those dozens of guns we've been watching Trumpco wave around for two years.
I hope so, Judas. I hope so.

I hope whoever Mueller named in the report are pissing themselves and Barr has probably locked himself in his office.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I wish they'd release the report and the next day LiveLeak has about two dozen more "Budd Dwyer" videos. I don't even care about Justice so much at this point as being free of the toxic mega-cun...er the Republicans..
A round of grape Trump-Aid for all these fucks would be satisfying.
In response to Schwartz:

My post was a bit too brief. My expectations (or more accurately, hopes) were that Mueller would not adhere so doggedly close to such a narrow definition of collusion. I never expected there to be actual evidence of Pumpkins being an actual asset of Putin.

But given the lies we know both Puumpkins and his spawn told about the June 16 meeting, among other things, I had hoped that Mueller wouldn't punt/be coy about the impact of Russian efforts on the election or the current administration.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I think that truth is still out there.

In other news, Baron Harkonnen is still threatening to close the southern border, but don’t get nervous. Said closure will be on April 4, 2020.

Go to Tijuana for barbecued iguana while you can!
(04-04-2019, 02:32 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: In other news, Baron Harkonnen is still threatening to close the southern border, but don’t get nervous. Said closure will be on April 4, 2020.

Remember when he said he was closing it at the end of the week? Mexico has apparently gotten much tougher on migrants over the past couple days, in response to Trump's tough talk*! Chalk up another big win for President Deals!

*there is no actual evidence of this
“Dozens” of whistleblowers cooperating with the House. Some still working at the White House.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc...ss/586459/

Tricia Newbold is only the beginning.
(04-04-2019, 01:56 PM)MichaelM Wrote: In response to Schwartz:

My post was a bit too brief. My expectations (or more accurately, hopes) were that Mueller would not adhere so doggedly close to such a narrow definition of collusion. I never expected there to be actual evidence of Pumpkins being an actual asset of Putin.

But given the lies we know both Puumpkins and his spawn told about the June 16 meeting, among other things, I had hoped that Mueller wouldn't punt/be coy about the impact of Russian efforts on the election or the current administration.

I didn't mean that as a critique of your post, just that it was what prompted me to say how I read the tea leaves at this particular juncture.  Trump's side is pretty easy to parse, it's corrupt idiocy all the way down.  With Mueller, the only thing I can conclude with certainty is that he is not following anyone else's political agenda.  Which includes, dispiritingly, my own.
What about ISIS?

Didn't Dildo hold up a crayon map of Newark, New Jersey and proclaim that ISIS was eradicated. And would be even more eradicated by that night?

So...is ISIS gone? Whatever happened with that?
Ho boy:

-Trump pressured McConnell to confirm the IRS counsel before Trump.
-Cohen has a newly unearthed hard drive with MORE dirt on Trump.

And Julian Assange is “hours to days” away from being arrested by the UK:

https://mobile.twitter.com/UKDefJournal/...8355213314