Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker - A "pain without end" Overlord discussion thread
A False Hope

The fans would lose their marbles.
The Further Adventures of Ren and Wimpy (I can't be arsed to remember Gleeson's name in this)..
Episode IX: Hope Floats
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
No new movies after IX for a while...

They've got movies in the works but no release dates. Hopefully this means they're spending more time on planning what the fuck the actual story they want to tell is before locking in a release date to blunder their way to hitting.
"We're so unconcerned about the audience being overexposed to Star Wars that we're not releasing any new movies in the franchise for the foreseeable future!"
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
What becomes of Rian Johnson's trilogy now? Would Disney choose it over the Benioff and Weiss saga, or would they risk confusing audiences with two trilogies at once with alternating installments? Will it be re-imagined as a Disney+ streaming series so as to avoid another potential box office bloody nose?
As per the article they've still got movies in development - I'm guessing they're both the B&W movies and RJ's movies. They can move forward development-wise, just not move into production until Eiger gives the green light.

I've always thought they'd alternate between the two sagas before this news - regardless of confusing the audiences - that's what marketing departments are for. I'm guessing both sagas will be completely poles apart in regards to visual iconography so as not to confuse audiences. I thought having two alternate sagas announced and released was always an odd move from the off.
Their error was making them a trilogy.

Why does everything have to be a trilogy with them?

Just let each team develop three movies/stories in the SW universe. They can then just follow the Marvel playbook and release a few per year about different characters and then sit back and collect.

This whole trilogy thing is dumb.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
Cringe factor was high on Colbert's introduction.

Interesting that Kennedy was hammering home the point that "We care about the fans!"

Abrams seems nervous as hell.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
who wouldn’t be?

huge crowd, gotta engage in pleasant PR speak, and not give away anything
Anthony Daniels loves this.
hahahaha he sure does
Billy Dee Williams is stealing the show.

Also, the thought of some basement dwelling MAGA/MRA toxic fanboy sulking while still watching the fans here cheer and enjoy themselves makes me warm inside.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Awwwww, that was sweet of the fans telling Kelly Marie Tran they love her. That was nice Smile
Nevermind.
Boyega's Love Pentagon answer probably made the delights of fanfic writers everywhere. Isaac adding fuel to that fire was sweet as well.

And Isaac will forever have my love and respect for saying Guerra de las Galaxias, Bebecho and Arturito onstage.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Standing O for Kelly Marie. MAGA heads exploding.
So no trailer or title announcement yet?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
They are on the last member of the panel. So.....soon?
THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

hifidog: "Excluding 'The' what's the word you feel is most likely to be included in the title (after Star Wars Episode IX)?"

Me: "I wouldn't hate it if they included Skywalker in there."

Nooj: "dream on BARRY! (BARRY is eventually proved right) dammit BARRY!"

waaaaaaaalt: "Most doubt his genius but we know better. We are the Barry Society."
Terrible title! Okay teaser.

Not thrilled they're digging up Palpatine again (apparently).
Yup. An R word and a Star Warsy proper noun. That's how you do a title.
It's going to be bad.
Yeah. They brought out Ian McDormand to say "Roll it again". I guess it makes some sense for The Emporer to come back but it's also feels like major course correction.
I would bet a substantial amount of money that Palpatine only appears as a hologram or some kind of diminished ghost who's not really a key player.There's a lot in the Art of TFA book about how early ideas involved them fishing through the Death Star II for hidden maps and archives - that's where he'll be involved.
Seeing BDW laughing while flying the Falcon filled me with joy.
I would've preferred "The Rise of a Skywalker"

But then I don't really know what Skywalker means in the context of this film.

I didn't realize I wanted Palpatine in this movie until I heard him cackle and saw Ian on stage.
So who’s the Skywalker doing the rising? It seems any of the possible options will be met by some fans with distaste.

- Rey’s a secret Skywalker after all! Which will piss off people who loved the reveal in THE LAST JEDI.

- It’s Luke back from the dead! Which, again, will piss off people who loved him dying in THE LAST JEDI.

- It’s Kylo Ren... even though he’s technically a Solo!

(04-12-2019, 01:19 PM)rexbanner Wrote: I would bet a substantial amount of money that Palpatine only appears as a hologram or some kind of diminished ghost who's not really a key player.There's a lot in the Art of TFA book about how early ideas involved them fishing through the Death Star II for hidden maps and archives - that's where he'll be involved.

That better be the extent of it. I think bringing the Emperor back would dramatically undercut Darth Vader's arc and sacrifice in RETURN OF THE JEDI. You'd basically nullify the entire thrust of the character's journey and purpose in that film.
I'm going to duck out of this, and avoid watching any future trailers, BUT...

I bet the whole thing involves the sort of quest narrative that Abrams and Kasdan didn't feel confident enough to commit to in VII (they decided to make the focus a half-assed Battle of Yavin again).

Kylo and the First Order/Rey and the Resistance are after some Force thing that requires a visit to Palpatine's old throne room to recover. The rest of the film is a race across savage worlds to get it. Nice, simple, compelling, and novel for an SW film.
(04-12-2019, 01:19 PM)ChrisW Wrote: I guess it makes some sense for The Emporer to come back but it's also feels like major course correction.

Smashed helmet? Let's put it back together.

Rey's parents were nobodies? Nah, fuck that, she's a Skywalker.

Throne room battle? Here's another fight with Kylo in a forest.
Snoke was a meat puppet for Palpi's force ghost the whole time?
“...Let’s do the RETCON againnnn...”
...don't do it
(04-12-2019, 01:25 PM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: Snoke was a meat puppet for Palpi's force ghost the whole time?

I left seeing TLJ thinking that was exactly the case - what with John Williams playing the Emperor's theme under Snoke's torture of Rey. I would be quite satisfied with Snoke turning out to have been Palpatine's fucked up attempts to come back from the dead, but I sincerely doubt they'll play it that way.

The legacy of Palpatine idea in this film will just underline how Snoke's meant to be an opportunistic chancer, not the real secret big bad of the whole thing some people thought he was going to be.
Abrams: Back peddle, back peddle back peddle....

I enjoyed the teaser, but again like with VIII I do not like the title. The last two titles really lack that B-movie/serial quality that Lucas' titles had.

And putting the helmet back together! Ugh, come on! Breaking it was one of my favorite aspects of TLJ!
(04-12-2019, 01:19 PM)rexbanner Wrote: I would bet a substantial amount of money that Palpatine only appears as a hologram or some kind of diminished ghost who's not really a key player.There's a lot in the Art of TFA book about how early ideas involved them fishing through the Death Star II for hidden maps and archives - that's where he'll be involved.

You don't end the teaser with that laughter if Palpatine only shows up in the film in hologram form. If he's a ghost, I wouldn't bet on the diminished part.