Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8 THREAD - Don't Spoil Stuff
(04-19-2019, 06:57 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: I know Sansa hasn't been the most popular character, but my impression has been if there's been any of the apparent Skyar/Betty/whoever internet misogyny directed at this show, it's been far more muted and quite clearly directed towards Catelyn.

Ooh yeah, I definitely see it way more with Cateyln.  She actually was the wet blanket urging Ned not to go where the story was in the opening episodes, she made some genuinely frustrating decisions that cost her male counterparts, and of course, she was not conventionally hawt.  People have been really down on her even in this thread.
a few lunatic fans having difficulty separating actor from character is nothing new... didn't the actor that played Joffrey talk about how random people on the street HATED him?

I think of the Carlin saying, "Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." The same idea can be applied to crazy.

There was no large-scale, organized campaign to attack Anna Gunn that I'm aware of. It's just that the Internet has made easier to become aware of fringe idiots.

My mother occasionally points out some terrible story of murder or violence in some random place, and I have to repeatedly make the point that these events were always happening, they just weren't being reported in the local paper or on local news. The world isn't becoming crazier or nastier (likely the opposite); it just benefits the media and government to focus more on the craziness that has always been there.

Some actors, writers, etc getting death threats because a tiny portion of fans are stupid/crazy isn't a trend; it's a sad constant.
Gamertag: Tweakee
(04-19-2019, 07:25 PM)farsight Wrote: a few lunatic fans having difficulty separating actor from character is nothing new... didn't the actor that played Joffrey talk about how random people on the street HATED him?

To be fair, if they didn't want people to hate them Gleeson, Fairley and Turner shouldn't have been so dang good at being so bad.
Oh, for fuck's sake, I posted an article where Anna Gunn herself talks about the hate her character and she herself has recieved. Just because it's not "organized" doesn't mean it wasn't "large scale," and I certainly don't need to point out how perilous it can be to ignore these campaigns of targeted harassment. It's a hop skip and a jump from Breaking Bad to Gamergate to the targeted attacks on Black Panther and Captain Marvel to...well, we certainly don't need to relitigate 2016 here, but you can make those conclusions for yourself.

Anyway, Cat/Fairley got it pretty bad, too. See y'all on Sunday.
home taping is killing music
(04-19-2019, 06:06 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: As far as I'm concerned, Maisie has been one of the best actors on the show. She's got a really amazing career ahead of her if she wants.

She was great on her episodes of Doctor Who too.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(04-19-2019, 07:25 PM)farsight Wrote: There was no large-scale, organized campaign to attack Anna Gunn that I'm aware of. It's just that the Internet has made easier to become aware of fringe idiots.

Yup.  Particularly when publishing stories of fringe idiots gets you clicks aka revenue.
With Fairley it doesn't help that "not conventionally hawt" is also a divergence from the books, where Catelyn's still very much a striking beauty even after five kids (though in fairness Ned and Cat are 10-15 years younger in the books than they were portrayed on the show). I think her performance was spot-on, but I will admit that I had a hard time matching her up with what I had envisioned of Catelyn Stark from the books. In fairness though...Sean Bean was moderately "off-model" himself (but was also great in the role).

But basically, while I am in no way dissatisfied with Fairley's portrayal, it isn't a case of "Couldn't see anyone else in the role." In point of fact I'll likely always be curious about how things might have turned out if the original Catelyn actress (Jennifer Ehle) had been available for the series, as at the very least she certainly looks closer to what I had imagined "book Cat" looking like.
I think we can all agree that the decision to age everyone up by at least a few years was uniformly a good choice.
Episode 2 leaked online and spoilers are out there. Do not spoil the episode in here before the episode airs.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Welp, I'm leaving the internet for the next 7 hours or so.  See you all late tonight.
If I did a "GAME OF THRONES DEAD POOL" from the big battle ep onwards (meaning I'd post the thread after tonight) for the back half of the season, would folks participate? Cash prizes!
I'm in.
I'm too well-bred to participate in something as common as a deadpo ... wait, did you say cash?
Unless I am mistaken this is the greatest television show of all time.

And I am never mistaken.
Well, that was wonderful television.

I thought this episode performed an impressive juggling act of servicing all of the characters at Winterfell, taking care to give each of them at least one meaningful moment. Given that next week will be an action extravaganza, I think this week’s attention to character was especially important.

Some SPOILERY thoughts...

- Killer opening scene. Animosities and differences playing out in really compelling fashion, and Brienne standing up for Jaime’s integrity was great.

- I much prefer Dany and Sansa being frosty towards each other rather than conciliatory, and in their scene I was worried things were becoming all too pleasant. Thankfully, Sansa appears fully dedicated to the North!

- Theon and Sansa sharing an embrace moved me more than I should probably admit.

- I find mostly plausible Bran’s explanation of what the Night King’s ultimate goal is, and why he’s interested in Bran, specifically.

- The Knighting of Brienne is the sort of pay-off to years of storytelling I was hoping we’d see this season. Very, very satisfying.

- So many of the episode’s scenes feel like send-offs. Either that’s intentional because the showrunners know what we’re expecting next week... or LOTS of these characters are not going to see this season’s fourth episode.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(04-21-2019, 10:01 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: - Theon and Sansa sharing an embrace moved me more than I should probably admit.

Don't be daft mate, admit the fuck out of it.

That was magic.
So many moments made me misty eyed.

And Tormund made me chuckle.
Tormund is a feminist.
I have a feeling next week's episode will make me yell "NOOO!" at least a couple of times.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(04-21-2019, 10:13 PM)Mangy Wrote: I have a feeling next week's episode will make me yell "NOOO!" at least a couple of times.

It's either canny misdirection, or next week is going to be a bloodbath.

Tonight felt like the show saying goodbye to almost EVERYONE.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Samwell Tarley, slayer of white walkers, lover of women.
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?
Even though it would likely end with me being killed by a zombie, I want to be at that fireside chat.

----------

I’m just glad Arya got hers.

Like a boss.

As another viewers whose favorite scene is the Brienne and Jaime confession scene lo these many seasons again, tonight was an especially moving episode.

My only regret is that it seems they are saving the Cersei stuff for after the WW, which is like saving a Twinkie dessert for after the surf and turf main course.
I'm not Avery.
I'm just glad we got the Jorah/Lyana conversation.

----------

I dunno if it was an all-time episode, but it certainly wrecked the shit out of me.  Especially thinking what's to come.   I will give them this, they covered a lot of fucking bases in less than an hour.
Next week is gonna rip my fucking heart out, isn't it?
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
I really hope the theory the Walkers are sending a token force to Winterfell while going to Kings Landing is true. Sure it makes very little sense but I need Cersie to die before any of these good people.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
So I think I figured out what's gonna happen next episode. I won't say it on the off chance I am right but if I am I'll let you all know. Tongue
(04-21-2019, 10:23 PM)ratty Wrote: Next week is gonna rip my fucking heart out, isn't it?

Probably
I was literally waiting for Grey Worm to start talking about raising rabbits in Montana with Missandei.
I'm not Avery.
(04-21-2019, 10:36 PM)first class 782 Wrote: I was literally waiting for Grey Worm to start talking about raising rabbits in Montana with Missandei.

Those two beautiful kids are going to make it!
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
Grey Worm/Missandei made me think of this:

I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Arya's weapon is way better than I expected!
Cut to Missandei licking wedding notes for ravens.
(04-21-2019, 10:32 PM)jmacq1 Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 10:23 PM)ratty Wrote: Next week is gonna rip my fucking heart out, isn't it?

Probably

I might ugly-cry when/if they kill Tormund.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt