Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8 THREAD - Don't Spoil Stuff
(05-04-2019, 09:00 PM)Adam_72 Wrote:
(05-04-2019, 08:22 PM)freeman Wrote: Don't look too deep into their non answers, they're doing the same thing the Lost people did.

Maybe I am seeing too much into it, but the slightly nervous way Benioff responded to the question makes me think there might be something there.

Perhaps the reason we don't know much about the man who became the NK is because it would help figure out the next person who becomes NK, if that happens. Something about his nature or family tree being deliberately kept hush hush until the final episode or whatever.

To be fair, you could just as easily see his nervousness as being worried that if he confirms the white walkers are indeed done completely, certain fans will rip him to pieces like a zombie movie.
Arya's going to have a badass neck freezeburn scar to go with her badass ribcage slash scars now isn't she.
She should. It looked like he had her by the bare skin of her throat.
(05-05-2019, 01:02 AM)Bucho Wrote: Arya's going to have a badass neck freezeburn scar to go with her badass ribcage slash scars now isn't she.

She's starting to sport a real Cheryl Tunt look.

(05-04-2019, 09:26 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Not saying I'm in love with the idea, but if they want to leave us with the message that despite our best efforts, the great existential threat hanging over all our heads never really goes away... a new NK would be the way to do it.

That or the show is going for the man destroys himself theme.

(Not gonna lie I did enjoy the show slightly more when it was human on human violence)
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?
Tonight’s episode has leaked. Watch out for spoilers.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
I rewatched 8x03 today. Did anyone else actively like the cinematography and lighting? The first time I watched it was with the curtains closed, at 9pm, on a pretty big (but 6 years old) HD screen. It was definitely dark, and there were one or two moments where I wondered if a main character had been unceremoniously offed (this was never the case - all the name characters who died got proper 'moments'), but overall I loved the look of the episode.

Since the 2nd season, GoT has been lit more naturally than any fantasy film I'm aware of, and it does a shit tonne for creating a sense of realism while looking very beautiful. Stuff like Theon burning Robb's letter, Melisandre burning the statues of the Seven on Dragonstone, umpteen scenes beyond the wall - they all make heavy use of genuine darkness. It's always pissed me off that so much fantasy and horror media has opted for brightly lighting their night scenes where the natural look would be more atmospheric and realistic. I remember seeing The Witch and being blown away by the shot, 5 minutes into the film, of the family gathered round a fire in the middle of a wood. Something like 85% of the image is blackness.

I've seen a lot of unflattering comparisons between 8x03 and Helm's Deep, and while I love LotR and that battle, and think the way it's lit and staged is perfect (and it's more comprehensible geography wise, but I don't think Winterfell is especially poor in this regard), Winterfell looks and feels more real.

And in terms of composition of the composition of the imagery and art design, shots like Jorah and the Dothraki charging, Dany and Jon watching them from the hill, *any* of the moments where fire was lighting the Night King's storm, the moment when the dragons broke the cloud cover, the Night King's silhouette raising the dead, Theon guarding Bran in the glowing, snowy murk of the Weirwood were just amazing. The cinematography was as striking as any 90 mins of any fantasy or sci-fi film I've can remember seeing.
I'll tell you what I noticed upon rewatch-- Arya yelling while leaping at the Night King.  That's a real rookie move for an assassin.
(05-05-2019, 02:12 PM)bailey Wrote: I'll tell you what I noticed upon rewatch-- Arya yelling while leaping at the Night King.  That's a real rookie move for an assassin.

I figured that *she* figured that yelling would distract him from killing her brother. From Arya's point of view - wherever she started her approach - Bran would've looked a second from being iced.
I did notice that one of the white walkers hears something a moment before Arya attacks.
He didn't hear something, he feels a breeze.
Just this guy, you know?
(05-05-2019, 02:56 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: He didn't hear something, he feels a breeze.

Maybe it was the soundwaves from Jon yelling "GO!  GOOOOO!!!"
Right, but they do use a tiny barely audible whoosh for us.

Watching it again I took it as the walker hears it too.
It was just dramatically established that their rotted old auditory systems are still top notch enough to hear Arya's blood drip gently on a floor, it makes all the sense in all the kingdoms to read that scene as if they also heard Arya haring past.
Watched The Long Night for the third time. I still like a lot more than I dislike, but I will never understand why they didn't use Neil Marshall for that episode. Few reasons: Tough northeners besieged by savage monsters is sort of his specialty (if you take GRRM's north folk as basically interchangeable with a certain romanticized image of people from the north of England). Experience with abnormally dark shoots, and making sure all the action is crystal clear no matter what kind of TV someone views it on. Authentic battle nerdery from straight out of actual history books, that won't have viewers mocking the tactics of Team Living. Proven track record with Game of Thrones, and knows how to get the most out of Liam Cunningham (even when he's a bad guy). Unlike that Sapochnik square, would have def thrown in a fun reference/easter egg or two for the Raimi geeks.

Did he have a falling out with the showrunners or something? Instead of one of the biggest episodes of the hottest TV show in the world, he ends up doing that Hellboy flop. Strange.
Sapochnik was the more recent contributor, and Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards, and Winds of Winter are episodes that people buzz about still. Watchers on the Wall, much as I like it, not so much. And it's been a long time since Blackwater. (Also, I imagine he got paid a heck of a lot more for doing that Hellboy reboot.)

But more to the point, a different director wasn't fixing the vast majority of the issues with this episode; which were script/concept based.
God love you all, but christ, I can’t wait until tonight’s ep so we can all get back to bitching about Euron.
It was a beautifully directed episode. The script was the source of every issue.
(05-05-2019, 05:36 PM)bailey Wrote: Sapochnik was the more recent contributor, and Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards, and Winds of Winter are episodes that people buzz about still.  Watchers on the Wall, much as I like it, not so much.  And it's been a long time since Blackwater.  (Also, I imagine he got paid a heck of a lot more for doing that Hellboy reboot.)

But more to the point, a different director wasn't fixing the vast majority of the issues with this episode; which were script/concept based.

Having just rewatched it last week, I'll hear no bad word said about Watchers on the Wall. It's a fucking GREAT episode. And it features the Night's Watch using actual tactics and strategy!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Since obsidian seems to kill the undead (or white walkers) without the need for the blow to be mortal, all of the defenders should have pierced their ears (or something) and stuck a small sliver of obsidian into their bodies.

Night King goes to raise them up, *poof*, nothing happens or they die instantly.

(05-05-2019, 06:30 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Having just rewatched it last week, I'll hear no bad word said about Watchers on the Wall. It's a fucking GREAT episode. And it features the Night's Watch using actual tactics and strategy!

Someone said a bad word about Watchers on the Wall?  Wasn't me.
Don't spoil stuff.
I would have COVERED myself in obsidian spikes like Chevy Chase in that Community Pillow fight episode.
Really, is there any finer moment in any of the battle episodes than doomed Grenn & crew reciting their NW words as they are about to take on that giant down in the tunnel in WotW? Still gives me chills when I think about it.
(05-05-2019, 06:57 PM)bailey Wrote:
(05-05-2019, 06:30 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Having just rewatched it last week, I'll hear no bad word said about Watchers on the Wall. It's a fucking GREAT episode. And it features the Night's Watch using actual tactics and strategy!

Someone said a bad word about Watchers on the Wall?  Wasn't me.

My bad. I misread your post!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
When an ep leaks early there really is nothing stopping a CTM or a DRPK or any of the other wackjobs who show up to try and ruin days around this joint from just dropping a bunch of spoilers is there? I went dark on Twitter and FB hours ago as soon as the 804 leak was announced, and now I'm outta this thread until after the episode.

If you're reading this CTM, I'm definitely not going to be reading the Endgame or Star Wars threads either, so don't get any funny ideas you old rascal.
I’ve been mostly Twitter dark all day. Never hit up reddit or Facebook. Only 45 minutes to go.
And millions of Brienne and Jaime shippers go berserk with joy.
Fuck if it's a spoiler.  Only a few minutes in, but fist pump for Ghost.
Damnit, that was one of my favorite characters!
Fuck this show. Why couldn't it be someone else?!
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
I hate having to wait a week.
That might’ve been the best episode of the entire series.
Fuuuuuu—-goddamn, did not have that one down to happen before the other one.

Guess all y’all right, they’re going...upset ruler.
Two. Episode. Left.

Fuck.

Hated seeing Jaime tear Brienne's heart out.