Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8 THREAD - Don't Spoil Stuff
(05-19-2019, 11:38 PM)Bucho Wrote: Was that the first time in the whole series Tyrion has cried? I'd rewatch the episode where he waxed Shae to check but I don't want to.
I'm positive he cried when Shae said she loved him for who he is (or whatever).
Brienne was wearing some pimp-ass Raven armor.
I'm not Avery.
(05-19-2019, 11:47 PM)Mangy Wrote: I ultimately liked the council scene a lot, but the first 2 minutes honestly felt like a deleted scene.

Part of why the first half of the council scene plays so goofy is it's right after the time jump. It's initially disorienting to pick up again there, especially with the added "Who's that guy again?" element.

It took me 3 whole minutes to recognize the teen heartthrob lord was Robin Aryn.
(05-19-2019, 11:47 PM)barry woodward Wrote: The more I think about it, the more I'd actually like that Arya spinoff. Her going WEST OF WESTROS means that the spinoff wouldn't have the STAR WARS sequel trilogy problem of having to have things fall apart for our surviving heroes. They get to have a happy ending while Arya gets to discover new lands and peoples and get into adventures.

Id much rather see the Dance of The Dragons or a Dunk and Egg series.
Given whats in the edge of the known world, I doubt Arya's journey will have a happy ending.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
(05-19-2019, 11:48 PM)Mangy Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 11:38 PM)Bucho Wrote: Was that the first time in the whole series Tyrion has cried? I'd rewatch the episode where he waxed Shae to check but I don't want to.

That does sound familiar.

All my goofing about supporting Cersei aside, I was surprised how hard it hit me in the heart to see Jaime and Cersei like that with grieving Tyrion kneeling before them on the rubble.
(05-19-2019, 11:51 PM)Bucho Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 11:47 PM)Mangy Wrote: I ultimately liked the council scene a lot, but the first 2 minutes honestly felt like a deleted scene.

Part of why the first half of the council scene plays so goofy is it's right after the time jump. It's initially disorienting to pick up again there, especially with the added "Who's that guy again?" element.

It took me 3 whole minutes to recognize the teen heartthrob lord was Robin Aryn.

Apologies, I was referring to that table scene with Brienne, Bronn, etc

Quote:All my goofing about supporting Cersei aside, I was surprised how hard it hit me in the heart to see Jaime and Cersei like that with grieving Tyrion kneeling before them on the rubble.

Same here. This is Dinklage's Emmy submission.
(05-19-2019, 11:47 PM)barry woodward Wrote: The more I think about it, the more I'd actually like that Arya spinoff. Her going WEST OF WESTROS means that the spinoff wouldn't have the STAR WARS sequel trilogy problem of having to have things fall apart for our surviving heroes. They get to have a happy ending while Arya gets to discover new lands and peoples and get into adventures.

Why don't you make a thread for it and post hypothetical scenarios about what the episodes might be about?

Oscar Isaac's stunt double became Prince of Dorne.  Interesting.
(05-19-2019, 11:56 PM)Bucho Wrote:

All my goofing about supporting Cersei aside, I was surprised how hard it hit me in the heart to see Jaime and Cersei like that with grieving Tyrion kneeling before them on the rubble.

Im sure it hit you like a ton of bricks.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

(05-19-2019, 11:59 PM)Mangy Wrote:

Apologies, I was referring to that table scene with Brienne, Bronn, etc.

So many councils these days, who can keep track?
(05-20-2019, 12:02 AM)ryoken Wrote: Im sure it hit you like a ton of bricks.

[Image: giphy.gif]
(05-20-2019, 12:02 AM)ryoken Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 11:56 PM)Bucho Wrote:

Im sure it hit you like a ton of bricks.

It was definitely getting a little dusty in there.
(05-19-2019, 10:47 PM)ElCapitanAmerica Wrote: But did ... Bran manipulate himself into the throne?

He did!

ALL HAIL BRAN THE BETRAYER, FIRST OF HIS NAME! BACKSTABBER OR BROTHERS! MINDFUCKER OF DRAGONS! ENSLAVER OF DWARVES! HAIL! HAIL!

If I had a sense that the writers really understood just how fucked up that ending is, I'd be impressed.

(05-19-2019, 11:36 PM)ryoken Wrote: Because having a king with god like abilities never ends well.

"The lesson of Daenerys Targaryan is that absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"So who should be our next King?"

"The most powerful guy in the realm! OBVIOUSLY!"

(05-19-2019, 11:37 PM)bailey Wrote: Grey Worm would have executed Jon straight away.

Yeah, we just watched him cutting the throats of unarmed men who had surrendered. Using a time lapse to avoid explaining why he wouldn't have killed the murderer of the only person/thing he cares about in life is really weak. Maybe he could smell Jon's genetics like Drogon!

---

It struck me that Tyrion got the exact same ending as Ben Linus on LOST. Both were clever, beaten down and overlooked men who used their wits in service of the wrong side. Both murder their father. Both end up "sentenced" to serve as the right hand to the new benevolent ruler of their land. The difference is that Ben's arc was to realize that his ego had led him to nothing but misery and to learn to set it aside, while Tyrion's arc was to become progressively more stupid until his story ended with him talking about donkey shows.
Gamertag: Tweakee
(05-20-2019, 12:04 AM)farsight Wrote: Yeah, we just watched him cutting the throats of unarmed men who had surrendered.

On the orders of his queen. Did his queen order him to wax Jon?

CHECK AND MATE MY FRIEND!
I do like the reading that Bran manipulated things to get the throne. I think it makes the whole ending more satisfying, oddly.

But I think they're just going with the idea that it was the way things had always happened, so they had to happen that way again. That Bran was just as much a pawn as everyone else-- he just knew it.
(05-19-2019, 11:52 PM)ryoken Wrote:

Given whats in the edge of the known world, I doubt Arya's journey will have a happy ending.

The Dunk and Egg stories seem like such a natural choice, and would be a nice change of pace for being more focused and smaller in scale. Of course, Martin hasn't finished those yet either, so...

Anyway, I thought they stuck the landing pretty well here. I'm glad it wasn't too downbeat, even though it was a compromised win at best for all concerned... Except for Bronn who totally fucking won and gets to rebuild whorehouses because he's the greatest.

I anticipated maybe a loose confederation of the kingdoms going forward, or thought they at least needed a Westerosi Magna Carta-- we kinda got a mix here which pleased me. Sam's democracy suggestion seemed to be taking things too far, until it got laughed out of the room. That was a good gag.

I didn't see Bran ending up as king coming, although he clearly did. I'm, like, the anti-Bran that way.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
(05-20-2019, 12:07 AM)Bucho Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 12:04 AM)farsight Wrote: Yeah, we just watched him cutting the throats of unarmed men who had surrendered.

His Queen didn't order him to take Jon prisoner either! Or to sail away!

Grey Worm should still be standing on the steps of the Keep, dying from starvation and stinking horribly!

FLIP THE BOARD AND STORM OFF MY FRIEND!
Gamertag: Tweakee
(05-20-2019, 12:09 AM)slim Wrote:

The Dunk and Egg stories seem like such a natural choice, and would be a nice change of pace for being more focused and smaller in scale. Of course, Martin hasn't finished those yet either, so...

Anyway, I thought they stuck the landing pretty well here. I'm glad it wasn't too downbeat, even though it was a compromised win at best for all concerned... Except for Bronn who totally fucking won and gets to rebuild whorehouses because he's the greatest.

I anticipated maybe a loose confederation of the kingdoms going forward, or thought they at least needed a Westerosi Magna Carta-- we kinda got a mix here which pleased me. Sam's democracy suggestion seemed to be taking things too far, until it got laughed out of the room. That was a good gag.

I didn't see Bran ending up as king coming, although he clearly did. I'm, like, the anti-Bran that way.

Bronn fucked himself over in the long run; he has power, but also buge responsibilities and is stuck obeying Tyrion's orders and his king is one he cant lie or cheat to.
He is gonna be miserable in less than six months.

Also, cant believe Ive just realized that Bran being king is pretty much a fantasy God Emperor of Dune ending.

(05-20-2019, 12:13 AM)ryoken Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 12:09 AM)slim Wrote:

Bronn fucked himself over in the long run; he has power, but also buge responsibilities and is stuck obeying Tyrion's orders and his king is one he cant lie or cheat to.
He is gonna be miserable in less than six months.

Also, cant believe Ive just realized that Bran being king is pretty much a fantasy God Emperor of Dune ending.

Bronn will have his brothels.  He’ll be fine.
Maybe Sansa isn't the only one who learned something from Littlefinger. Bran did quote "chaos is a ladder" back to him, after all...
Arya riding out of King's Landing on that white horse must've just been a hallucination Jaime was having as he died.
He patted Ghost!  Fucking all I wanted.  Followed by riding off into the woods with Tormund and the other wildings.  That guy's not keeping his vows.  The rest was just gravy, especially the crosscutting of all the Starks suiting up.
Bob Iger: "Thank you DB Weiss and DavidBenioff, and @grrmspeaking, @hbo and Richard Plepler for @GameOfThrones...one of the greatest television series ever created! Tonight’s episode was a tour de force, and a fitting way to conclude your monumental creative achievement."

https://twitter.com/RobertIger/status/11...0610754561
(05-20-2019, 12:28 AM)scottieferguson Wrote: He patted Ghost!  Fucking all I wanted.  Followed by riding off into the woods with Tormund and the other wildings.  That guy's not keeping his vows.  The rest was just gravy, especially the crosscutting of all the Starks suiting up.

Fatty cried. He cried so hard.
I...kind of loved that.

Also, called it.

And as someone who was obviously so mad about the Dany turn, I think if they had basically cut down last week's slaughter, put the first thirty minutes of the finale as the back end of last week's - i.e., ending with Drogon flying off - it would have played MUCH better.

Sansa's Elizabeth I look was everything.
home taping is killing music
Watching Dany die, after all we've seen her go through over all these years, was an even bigger whack to the chest than seeing Jaime and Cersei dead.

Even if she did go bung, she's been legit awesome at times.
More thoughts later but I loved it.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
I do appreciate that they called this episode "The Iron Throne" and not "A Dream of Spring."
(05-20-2019, 12:56 AM)Paul755 Wrote: More thoughts later but I loved it.

It was a frustrating, tortured path to get there, in a way I'll always have beefs about, but yeah, I thought it was superb.
Also, please give me the lyrics to "Theme from Game of Thrones (Yub Nub Edition)".
(05-20-2019, 12:40 AM)boone daniels Wrote: And as someone who was obviously so mad about the Dany turn, I think if they had basically cut down last week's slaughter, put the first thirty minutes of the finale as the back end of last week's - i.e., ending with Drogon flying off - it would have played MUCH better.

That would have been very interesting. As somebody who both liked the turn AND felt it needed more room to breathe, I don't know what my reaction to that would have been. Would have been A LOT to process, but it may have made an even bigger impact.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Jon hugging Ghost was the fist pump moment for me.

Loved it.
Sansa telling Uncle Edmure to sit down was my fist-pumping moment.
It's like they had absolutely no clue how to tie Arya up in a way that kept her independent and not a horrible assassin so they invented a fondness for exploration in the final episode to literally sweep her off the map.
(05-20-2019, 12:12 AM)farsight Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 12:07 AM)Bucho Wrote:

His Queen didn't order him to take Jon prisoner either! Or to sail away!

Grey Worm should still be standing on the steps of the Keep, dying from starvation and stinking horribly!

FLIP THE BOARD AND STORM OFF MY FRIEND!

Without a body Grey Worm didn't actually know if Dany was even for sure really dead so he was just putting Jon on hold until ... HEY, WHERE ARE YOU GOING BRO?!?
Edmure was de Blasio, thinking he had a chance.