Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLACK CHRISTMAS (2019)
Um... so this was just announced.  Coming this December.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/black...203241573/

[Image: black-christmas-blumhouse-poster.jpg?res...1216&ssl=1]

I am not seeing the need or rationale for this -- either you try to ape the "slow burn" chills of the original (in which case, why bother?), or you go in a different direction entirely (in which case, why remake BLACK CHRISTMAS again?) -- but I'm intrigued enough to give it a shot.  The very fast turnaround time has me curious, as well (where, exactly, are they going to be filming this where there's snow on the ground?).
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Yeah, I don't get it. Remake "Slumber Party Massacre" or something.
The Hollywood Reporter has a bit of a logline:  "It centers on a group of sorority sisters at Hawthorne College, who are being hunted down and killed by an unknown stalker. Soon, the killer learns that the school's women are willing to mount a fight to stop the carnage."

So it's going to be the "girl power"/"tables turned on the killer" take.
Pls don't be PG-13.
This could be good! If it doesn't make the killer a jaundiced freakshow who seems more like the putty man on X-Files as opposed to an actual psycho and keep him mysterious..
I'd rather not see the killer at all, for the most part.

But the synopsis would suggest he's going to get the shit kicked out of him by the end, necessitating screentime.
Not necessarily. It just implies he becomes aware of their intentions to fight back. That might mean nothing more than him going from just creeping and maybe attacking to outright lethal aggressiveness. They can do that and still have him be an unseen entity for the most part..
(06-13-2019, 04:24 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: This could be good! If it doesn't make the killer a jaundiced freakshow who seems more like the putty man on X-Files as opposed to an actual psycho and keep him mysterious..

I believe one of the writers for The X-Files actually directed the 2006 version.

The original Black Christmas is probably my favorite horror movie. Can't say I'm too thrilled about another remake though.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
One of the things that makes the original so wonderful is its sense of humor, which provides some levity without getting silly or compromising the otherwise pretty bleak tone.

I expect this new version will be attempting to be a crowd-pleaser, so lots of humor.
(06-13-2019, 03:57 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: The Hollywood Reporter has a bit of a logline:  "It centers on a group of sorority sisters at Hawthorne College, who are being hunted down and killed by an unknown stalker. Soon, the killer learns that the school's women are willing to mount a fight to stop the carnage."

Sounds like the true villain here is toxic masculinity!

I will watch this though. This can't be worse than the remake.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(06-13-2019, 10:19 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 03:57 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: The Hollywood Reporter has a bit of a logline:  "It centers on a group of sorority sisters at Hawthorne College, who are being hunted down and killed by an unknown stalker. Soon, the killer learns that the school's women are willing to mount a fight to stop the carnage."

Sounds like the true villain here is toxic masculinity!

I will watch this though. This can't be worse than the remake.

Bite your tongue.
The remake's a weird one. So nasty and mean-spirited in a tongue-in-cheek way, which is kind of fun up to a point... but everything involving the elaborate backstory of the killer(s) is total garbage.
I watched the Black Xmas and Sorority Row remakes back-to-back, so they both run together in my head. Carrie Fisher is in one of them, but not the other.
(06-13-2019, 03:57 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: So it's going to be the "girl power"/"tables turned on the killer" take.

Coz that's not a slasher movie trope already or anything.
(06-15-2019, 11:11 PM)muzman Wrote: Coz that's not a slasher movie trope already or anything.

I don't disagree. Last year's HALLOWEEN - another Blumhouse production - just did it, too (well, I would say).
(06-14-2019, 01:30 AM)bradito Wrote: I watched the Black Xmas and Sorority Row remakes back-to-back, so they both run together in my head. Carrie Fisher is in one of them, but not the other.

Fisher was good in the remake of Sorority Row. The movie its self, that is another story.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Here's the (very spoilery, so watch at your own risk) trailer...

I can appreciate that they're ditching the original conception of the killer, because we've seen it twice already, but man... this looks generic as hell from a visual standpoint. And what the ultimate conflict appears to be boiling down to seems thuddingly on-the-nose.

Still, my ticket's bought because of the title alone.
Yikes.

You had me at Imogen Poots.
(09-05-2019, 02:23 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Here's the (very spoilery, so watch at your own risk) trailer...

I can appreciate that they're ditching the original conception of the killer, because we've seen it twice already, but man... this looks generic as hell from a visual standpoint. And what the ultimate conflict appears to be boiling down to seems thuddingly on-the-nose.

Still, my ticket's bought because of the title alone.

"You messed with the wrong sisters!"
Ya know I feel like this film has some underlying message like most horror films but I can't quite put my finger on it. Ahh well im sure I will get it when I see the film.

Also do you have to give like the entire plot away in the fucking trailer? Like If you want to make it clear that it's a group of killers this time fine but giving their motivation AND revealing who the mastermind is behind is a bit much.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
All these movies being released on a Friday the 13th that aren't a "Friday the 13th" movie are stealing valor.
While the trailer did show too much of the movie, it did make me want to see it. The cult aspect makes it different from the original. I did like the shot of the sorority sister using plastic wrap to fight back; it was a clever call back. It does seem like horror troupe of 2019 is using the occult to stay rich.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
I just think evil fraternities have been done, as have "victimized women fight back" revenge stories. Granted, they haven't been done together!

It does seem clear, though, that this movie is attempting to be "fun scary," not genuinely unnerving, and I think that's my biggest issue with it at this stage. The original BLACK CHRISTMAS is thoroughly unsettling (while also actually being quite funny), and I wish a new version was following that lead after the previous remake went full goofy with it.