Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IS THE HATE FOR ‘SPIDER-MAN 3’ UNFAIR?
It ain't all that bad, never was. It's your standard overstuffed third film in a franchise, not a crime against humanity.
Unfair may be the wrong word.

But how so many people find it to be SOOOOO much worse than the second one is confounding. The second one IS better. But not by much. And hell....I like it MORE than that boring old dry as toast first movie. Yeah, I said it. I think that the first is the worst. Which still makes not a "bad" movie.

But no....Spider-Man 3 got compared so much with X-Men 3. THAT was unfair because X-Men 3 is way way more of a straight up mess. SM3 at least felt like a complete movie from a director who was really working hard to make it all come together...even if he fell a bit short of that. This is no worse than The Return of the Jedi, Back to the Future 3, Matrix Revolutions or The Dark Knight Rises..
People were SO offended at Symbiote Peter being a douchebag instead of some dark try hard edgelord... That drove me NUTS. That iteration of Peter was a total dweeb, why would "evil" Peter suddenly be "cool" evil?

Tons of stuff I like about Spidey 3.
I dig spider-man 3 so much!
Quiet, you!
Spiderman 3 had too many cooks (ie studio notes) that muddled the overall narrative, The movie still looks great and has wonderful small moments like the birth of Sandman.
I have forgiven large parts of 3 but there are a couple scenes that really needed to go.

Once Harry knows his father is the Green Goblin for certain it's unclear why he needed to kill Spider-man but alright. But fucking Bernard can't pipe up with the whole glider thing earlier? Also how did the powers get perfected? Harry is no scientist.

They kind of need to decide whether he is an evil nerd or not. Because sometimes he is cool confident evil and sometimes he is goofy evil that is snapping his fingers and repelling girls.

The Sandman retcon is really dumb. I actually love most of the Sandman scenes but I didn't need to find out Spider-man murdered the wrong guy. Err I mean startled him into falling? Also not to have a scene of him giving his daughter the medication is weird. Do we assume she died?

Also Harry gets MJ to act whatever way because he threatened Peter's life? She knows he is Spider-man right? Also AMNEISA? Ohh....

But there were good things in there I swear.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I prefer Spider-Man 3 over the first movie.

It has my favourite villain of the series - Crazy Crane.

Finally bringing Gwen into the series and then hastily writing her out due to offscreen complications didn't help.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
what were the offscreen complications?
The Sandman retcon, Harry's 20 minute amnesia, the way Venom and Sandman just bump into one another to hurry the plot along... The amount that Raimi didn't give a fuck is practically dripping off the screen.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
It was most definitely done the way it was because they wanted/needed to move the film along but I've never seen Sandman and Venom's first meeting as random. How could it be, when Sandman was actively looking for a black suited Spider-Man to give him a beating for what happened earlier in the subway? He just ambushed the wrong one..
Wait how did that meeting happen again?

They just sort of collided with each other in a random alley right?
Sandman was looking for Spider-Man for a rematch after the subway fight. He anvil fisted Venom thinking it was Spider-Man. And that's when Venom was all like, "oh, you'd like to kill him too? well...come on!"

It's not nearly as random as it's made out to be. I ain't defending it as some great scene. Just that people really harped on that one a lot and I never was bothered by it..
I think the issue Fraid is how did he locate him? Just walking the streets yelling out "SPIDER-MAN!!!!"
Please, God...

I want you to kill Peter Parker.
It's REALLY random. Venom happens to swing by and Sandman hits him going "I don't like Spider-Man". The mechanics of the scene are super funny.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
A comic character wandering the streets looking for another comic character and finding what, at least LOOKS like him, doesn't scream terribly implausible in these movies to me, I'm sorry. That actually seems VERY comic like. What's better? A fifteen minute montage of Sandman cross-referencing all Spider-Man sighting and acting like a detective or Venom just swinging along and THWACK! and Sandman be all like "GOTCHA!" It's actually kinda humorous..
Sandman finding Venom in an alleyway isn't a stretch of the imagination considering Sandman also randomly fell into a pit of sand that was being used in some sort of government experiment.

Thank you! That's the way this whole movie operates. And the second one too in places. Ock wants Peter to bring him Spider-Man or he'll kill MJ. Then throws Peter back through the cafe in a way only a superhero could've survived. It's all goofy fun. One's just a lot clunkier with it..
(07-06-2019, 01:42 PM)Nooj Wrote: what were the offscreen complications?

If I recall correctly, Bryce Howard got pregnant and couldn't continue with the big action scenes. The sequence with the collapsing office floor and the suspended car was supposed to feature Gwen. It was an expensive and largely practical setpiece so instead of cutting it they rewrote it to feature MJ, because... they ran out of girl characters?
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
that seems odd as an original conception of the scene...

what was MJ doing during all of that then?
(07-07-2019, 03:03 PM)hammerhead Wrote:
(07-06-2019, 01:42 PM)Nooj Wrote: what were the offscreen complications?

If I recall correctly, Bryce Howard got pregnant and couldn't continue with the big action scenes. The sequence with the collapsing office floor and the suspended car was supposed to feature Gwen. It was an expensive and largely practical setpiece so instead of cutting it they rewrote it to feature MJ, because... they ran out of girl characters?

Yes the ending was supposed to be Gwen which does make sense given that this would be the THIRD time they ended with MJ getting kidnapped. Christ Sam.

(07-07-2019, 07:01 PM)Nooj Wrote: that seems odd as an original conception of the scene...

what was MJ doing during all of that then?

Good question but I imagine she wouldn't just disappear from the picture. Maybe shes the one that convinces Harry to help Peter.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I remember really liking the Peter vs Harry fight in a very Jerry Springer trashy "ohhhhhhhhhhhh" sort of way.

"He said what bout his mama?!"
Spider-Man 3 has my favorite score of the three. Christopher Young did some great stuff. He also did Hellraiser 1 and 2 and you can soooo hear that in the music during the birth of Sandman scene..
(07-08-2019, 01:55 AM)freeman Wrote: I remember really liking the Peter vs Harry fight in a very Jerry Springer trashy "ohhhhhhhhhhhh" sort of way.

"He said what bout his mama?!"

That actually was great because it wasn't so much a superhero fight but a fight between 2 friends that had been building over the course of 3 movies. They earned that. And when Peter said that he was done trying to convince him and threw his silly bomb back in his face? Priceless.
I actually really like that scene. A "Jerry Springer kinda way" is a perfect description. I don't think Harry and Peter's later scenes work nearly as well without that. They had to get that outta their system..
The haters can go bake me a dozen cookies - with nuts. I love this movie, and not just because it brought us the greatest sequence in the genre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDGRAHBojWE

First, it's just plain funny. Second, it's a wonderful look at how fundamentally wholesome Peter really is. When influenced by the symbiote, he just turns into a bigger dweeb. The guy has no idea how to be mean, and I find that absolutely charming. Third, there's the fantastic score, which I like to call "Funk Spidey." It's a tiny masterpiece of entertainment.

In addition, I found the triangle's resolution to be touching. Three films' worth of buildup, and it all led to ... an honest conversation in which people who care about one another share their feelings.

I'm just sorry that this movie didn't do well enough to justify a fourth installment. Dylan Baker would've been an absolutely outstanding villain.
I've seen so many good people in my life that I've almost lost my faith in the wickedness of humankind.

--Will Durant
Cobra gets it..