Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Film Critic Catch-All
I don't read a lot of critics, but sometimes for TV I do.

Did Todd van der Werff become Emily?  If so, I guess I missed that that had happened
Emily came out as a trans woman. I don't think "becoming" is technically the right term, though. Todd didn't become anyone, because Todd was always Emily.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/6/3/186...anderwerff
home taping is killing music
ok well apologies if i used incorrect verbiage and thanks for confirming what i thought
I don't really know how to say "We all make mistakes" without coming off like a patronizing dickwad, and that's not what I was trying to do in the first place, but it's cool.
whatever.  I was just seeking confirmation of my question, regardless of the language.
A Bit of Random:

haha

"From 1969 // TRUMP CINEMA in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn. Part of Fred Trump's Trump Village. The 250-seat theater closed in 1977, due the nature if its XXX programming - a violation of its lease. Location was replaced by a Radio Shack". #Trump #DonaldTrump #PresidentTrump

https://twitter.com/adsausage/status/115...0325348352

[Image: EBD7n4PUcAAkYOs.jpg:large]

[Image: EBD7n4OU0AEELfs.jpg:large]

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

PHLIMPERPIMPLE
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
A Bit of Random II:

"Allison Anders description of (briefly) dating Tarantino is a mid-aughts Apatow movie basically. How is this real?""

https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/stat...1569327104

[Image: EDL_bRlXYAI-g10.jpg:large]

[Image: EDL_bRnXUAE0mY3.jpg:large]

[Image: EDL_bRnXkAA-hIj.jpg:large]

whoa...
I wonder how he smells now, kinda rude to not further comment on such a thing
Wait wait, time out . . . he's a dork?!?!?!
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Naw, man, first date of PASSENGER 57 + playing the Mr. T board game = lothario hero

One more thing for the day..

A Bit of Random III:

Just saw this, and it's so sweet. Scott Tobias said Jesse Plemons' speech puts them in the running for the Newman/Woodward of our time. Overstated, sure, but I'm a sucker for this kinda thing. Speech begins at about 12 minutes in:

I gotta try the “wanna watch me alphabetize my videocassettes line” one of those days.
It's especially effective if you hear it spoken as Richie in FROM DUSK TILL DAWN.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
aw dunst and plemmons are so wonderful together!
I've said for a while that Dunst/Plemons have replaced Macy/Huffman and Gyllenhaal/Skarsgaard as the best "cool celebrity couple."

I think they're the best celeb couple, period.
An aside: as obviously awkward and weird as QT was presented as being back in the day, it's a beautiful thing that in his films, there was never a spitefulness towards women or some obvious deep-seeded resentment. Alabama in TRUE ROMANCE and Mia Wallace in PULP were worshipped like goddesses. In his cinematic world, you die for your women; kill for your women. By the time of GRINDHOUSE, through ONCE UPON A TIME, you get the feeling he's comfortable now just being conversational with women or hanging out with them.

There's a social media myth QT hates women, which is so weird, because as someone said, he's the biggest romantic in the business.

I don't disagree. In his (usual) cinescape of hitmen and gangsters, unsympathetic or villainous women are rare, and misandrist women aren't a thing at all (remember the days of Eszterhas?). I think he does still have work to do learning to write women who are more than just idealized goddesses. But he's by no means the only male writer who confuses "strong female character" with "fantasy girl".
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
A Bit of Random: Hey, Hammer, you heard of this one? I sure haven't!

"Music by Jefferson Airplane, written & directed by Milton Moses Ginsberg (Werewolf of Washington, 1973). Starring Sally Kirkland, Viveca Lindfors and #riptorn

COMING APART {1969}"

https://twitter.com/adsausage/status/116...3142733826

[Image: ECbtF58VAAAwnVS.jpg:large]

Heard of it, never seen it.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(08-31-2019, 02:07 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: An aside: as obviously awkward and weird as QT was presented as being back in the day, it's a beautiful thing that in his films, there was never a spitefulness towards women or some obvious deep-seeded resentment. Alabama in TRUE ROMANCE and Mia Wallace in PULP were worshipped like goddesses. In his cinematic world, you die for your women; kill for your women. By the time of GRINDHOUSE, through ONCE UPON A TIME, you get the feeling he's comfortable now just being conversational with women or hanging out with them.

There's a social media myth QT hates women, which is so weird, because as someone said, he's the biggest romantic in the business.

Counterpoint:

Nah.

I don't think he hates women, but to dismiss the very real concerns and criticism about misogyny in his work as a social media myth isn't fair either.

Also, "worshipping" women in the way you describe can be, in its own way, read as its own kind of objectification.
Do you guys respect Glenn Erickson as much as I do? Props due to the knowledge.

CineSavant

Wagon Master

by Glenn Erickson Aug 31, 2019

https://trailersfromhell.com/wagon-master/

"John Ford’s favorite western of his own work is a curiously gentle, endearingly simple hark-back to the verities of silent filmmaking. Mormons crossing the desert are encumbered by show people and beset by a nasty outlaw family — but don’t worry ’cause the Sons of the Pioneers will still be singing backup for ‘The Chuckawalla Swing.’ Ford rodeo discovery Ben Johnson returns with Harry Carey Jr. and every other Ford stock player not nailed down, and the marvelously direct cinematography is keyed to Ford’s idealized vision of life on the frontier."

"Wagon Master is an uncomplicated, heartfelt cowboys ‘n’ settlers story with a gentle touch. John Ford produced it himself, reportedly not hiring a big star so to make the experience as pleasant as possible — or, John Wayne didn’t make himself available. Here’s where we find out what kind of film Ford makes when he has his way undisturbed by studio heads and bean counters — and the turns out to have a style resembling a silent movie. If you like ‘pure’ westerns that showcase clean thoughts, onery villains, good horse riding and classy cowboy skills, Wagon Master is a must-see title. It’s now common to regard the movie as Ford’s notion of happy filmmaking. When I first saw it, I realized, ‘this is exactly what we little kids in the 1950s thought cowboys were all about,’ way before downbeat closing-of-the-West movies re-invented cowboys as rootless vagrants unable to find work."

CineSavant

The Witches (1990)

by Glenn Erickson Aug 24, 2019

https://trailersfromhell.com/the-witches-1990/

"Roald Dahl’s marvelous horror thriller for children (the ones ready for it) knows exactly what it is and doesn’t soft-pedal the scary stuff. Horrible (but sexy) witches plot the wholesale destruction of Hansels and Gretels everywhere, and the only kid that can stop them has been changed into a mouse. Nicolas Roeg runs wild with Dahl’s imaginative, refreshingly un-PC book; the usual softening touches are skipped in favor of unadulterated scarifying FUN. It couldn’t be better directed; we wish that Roeg had been able to create a dozen such outrageous fantasies. Star Anjelica Huston is an amazing Grand High Witch, with Mai Zetterling, Anne Lambton and Jane Horrocks providing able witchy support. Recommended!"

"I have to say that the women in The Witches are just too fascinating for us not to enjoy their spirited revelry. Besides the spectacular Anjelica Huston, there’s a full gallery of eccentric ladies that can’t wait to reveal themselves as horrid monsters. Among them are some real charmers, too, such as Jenny Runacre and Jane Horrocks. Adult males don’t count for much, although Rowan Atkinson, Bill Paterson and Jim Carter acquit themselves well enough. The excellence of Nicolas Roeg’s filmmaking is what makes it all work. The maker of Performance, Walkabout, Don’t Look Now, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Bad Timing, and Insignificance knows how to play clever games with his camera. Every moment in this show is arresting."

Fear of the Velvet Curtain

CENTRAL PARK (1932)

by Dennis Cozzalio Sep 01, 2019

https://trailersfromhell.com/central-park-1932/

"If they still made ‘em like the pre-Code drama Central Park (1932), I’d still be going to the movies every day instead of looking more to TCM and Netflix and the unwrapped section of my own DVD and Blu-ray collection for reasons to stay home. There are at least four bloated modern blockbusters playing at a theater near you right now at $18 a pop (I’m looking right at you, Hobbs, and you too, Shaw) which don’t have a tenth of the storytelling electricity and enthusiasm that this near-forgotten Hollywood programmer gushes in spades over the course of its 58-minute running time. The average 21st-century Hollywood action thriller, and even some of the more sincerely intended dramas pitched at adults, can leave you enervated and annoyed rather than satisfied, overstuffed with backstory and a heavy-handed approach to character, or simply overloaded on sensory input designed to distract you from the thinness of the material. But as directed by journeyman John G. Adolfi (who only lived to make three more pictures after this one before dying of a cerebral hemorrhage in 1933), Central Park snaps to attention right away and crams so much juicy stuff in between the First National Pictures title card and “The End,” all presented in the unpretentious style of a medium still feeling its way around synchronized sound, not to mention art, that audiences in 1932 had to have been thrilled at what they got for the 35 cents it cost them to get into the theater. Eighty-six years later, the movie is still fresh, funny, wild, sentimental, maybe even a little shocking, and it moves like lightning."

A Bit of Random: QT's New Bev is screening HEAT:

"Even the tip jars are themed for HEAT."

https://twitter.com/doloresquintana/stat...0311008256

[Image: EDeL2X2WwAAra_t.jpg:large]

Revisited again the other day.

Crazy and excessive at it is, it might be the most 90's film.

I was thinking recently how artists have sometimes major blindspots: King with Kubrick's THE SHINING most notably. QT with NBK is almost as weird. Just like Tony Scott with ROMANCE, Stone's film is way better than QT's screenplay/ original vision. It's funnier and more satiric. Stylistically, it may be Stone's greatest achievement. It has hyperkinetic feel of sample layered hip-hop of era. The first third, a sonic and visual mix tape. As much as he knocked it, QT would later go for that same effect at times in KILL BILL (vol. I).

Climax is like Siegel's RIOT IN CELL BLOCK 11 on all the drugs.

Natural Born Killers at 25: the problem with Oliver Stone's hit film

The controversy-courting 1994 road movie about a couple of bloodthirsty killers took the media to task but failed to investigate further

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/au...nniversary

Natural Born Killers?

It's fine.
Twenty-Five Years Later, Oliver Stone’s ‘Natural Born Killers’ Is, More than Ever, the Spectacle of Our Time (Column)

By Owen Gleiberman

https://variety.com/2019/film/columns/na...203313212/

I watched TRUE ROMANCE the other day, and it and NBK both have scripts which seem like parodies of Tarantino's work. It's like everything QT has been accused of throughout his career is concentrated in those scripts, TRUE ROMANCE especially.
An odd comparison perhaps, but one that comes to mind, is how like Coppala's DRACULA, the performances are quirky and heightened in just the right way. Everybody got what the movie was going for.

I mean, Rodney Dangerfield....! Jeezus.

Mangy, you don't like TRUE ROMANCE?

Those are both well-written pieces that read like everything positive that's been written about the film in the last twenty-five years. How it speaks to our time, our fascination with celebrity killers, all tied up in a nice little "kids today" bow.

If Natural Born Killers is so influential and important, then where are the filmmakers inspired by it? Who's giving interviews right now saying how influential it was on them?

That's not to ding on the film, which I've been thinking about lately for various reasons. But I read those two pieces and find myself thinking "Don't believe the hype." It seems like yet another excuse to take shots at reality tv or people who like true crime.
Mangy: For Your Consideration:

(I've posted it before, so forgive, but it's the definitive take in my opinion)

http://thenewbev.com/blog/2017/01/true-romance/

Kim Morgan:

"It all winds together and explodes in an exhilarating, surrealistic swirl through the unabashedly entertaining, hyped-up and artful direction of the late, great Tony Scott and a poetic, perfecto Tarantino. As I said, I see it as part fairy tale, but also part splashy Hollywood satire about movie people who pile in the coke while making pulpy war pictures, and struggling actors audition for “T.J. Hooker” while their lovable loafer roommates recline on the couch all day, smoking out of honey bear bongs. With that in mind (and if you live in Los Angeles) it’s not even that unrealistic. Like Mulholland Dr. and The Big Lebowski after it, you’ll recognize this Los Angeles on those days when the air feels chemically off – and all of this heightened chaos and absurdity crashes down on you. (I know some of you readers know exactly what I’m talking about) Tom Sizemore screaming/directing Bronson Pinchot’s Elliot, a now wired-up narc with, “You’re an actor. Act, motherfucker!” is a sublime metaphor of how on edge “talent” feels in this town. Clarence’s negotiations with the coke-buying producer resonates for multiple reasons. Is Clarence ass-kissing to get the deal done like every Hollywood jerk? Yes. But, no, he’s not. He’s genuinely sincere in his admiration of the producer’s movies. Even his guide, the ghost of Elvis Presley (Val Kilmer, post Lizard King) in a bit of sublime fantasia during which the movie again, recollects the dream of Oz – Elvis as Glenda the Good Witch – reassures him he’s not being an asshole. "

Fat (Mr. Elvis?), I still like TRUE ROMANCE well enough (I haven't seen NBK in ages), but it feels like Tarantino at his dorkiest and most glib. Alabama's a whore with a heart of gold who loves kung fu movies, Slater's the Tarantino clone, the "shocking" racism . . . It all reads like a 20-something movie geek's wet dream. It still features several great moments, but I think it's the one closest in spirit to the post-PULP FICTION Tarantino ripoffs. I feel like the stuff people accuse Tarantino of now is primarily present in this movie.
Boone: sometimes a film can influence culture without directly influencing filmmakers. Besides it hasn't exactly been cool to champion Stone since maybe ANY GIVEN SUNDAY. Most people probably consider it a QT film.

I don't see the film's particular influence on culture, either. People were fans of true crime and reality TV before the movie, and they were fans after.

Also, Matt Zoller Seitz wrote an entire, critically acclaimed coffee book on Stone in the years since Any Given Sunday - this decade, in fact. He had an equally high profile Showtime series.

I mean, I think a lot of people aren't wild about his stuff about Putin, but saying it's uncool to champion the guy feels a little inaccurate. It's not like Jezebel or whoever is writing "cancel Oliver Stone" pieces.

I love the guy, though I'm behind on the recent documentary stuff and Snowden. But JFK is probably one of five films that had the biggest impact on me as a teen. I'll even go to bat for W and the wildness of SAVAGES (one of the last times where Travolta gave a shit).