Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rian Johnson's KNIVES OUT starring Daniel Craig
Man, the first film in his Star Wars trilogy looks weird!
Michael Shannon is in this, and since he might be my favorite actor working today, I'll certainly end up watching this.
I thought that was a fun trailer!

Cool!
I watched it without sound, so it looks like a lot of people sitting.
Yeah I’m with Nooj—this does look fun.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

This looks great.
home taping is killing music
(07-02-2019, 02:32 PM)history buff Wrote: Michael Shannon is in this, and since he might be my favorite actor working today, I'll certainly end up watching this.

Have you ever seen this HB?

Thanks Bucho, I had seen a similar one on YouTube a while back with a different set of actors, didn't know these 2 had done one. Will def. have a listen.
The poster could definitely be for an Agatha Christie novel...
[Image: Knives_Out_poster.jpeg]

Billing this as "A Rian Johnson Whodunnit" is really fun.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I’m totally in.

Evans calling Craig “CSI KFC” was a highlight. Seems to be playing the Ellis of the cast with all those goofy faces and badly timed jokes.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
That poster rules. It totally is a lost Agatha Christie paperback cover.

Also, glad to see Rian's boy Noah Segan popping up once again. And Evans looks like he's having so much fun.

"Eat shit. Eat shit. ...Definitely eat shit."
I thought Michael Shannon was Mark Hamill at first. Guessing his character doesn't actually need that cane.

(07-02-2019, 12:42 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: This'll do great as counter programming, kinda like how MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS found a waiting audience who was craving this kind of thing over the other stuff in the theaters at the same time.

Only that movie's counter audience were people that watch Agatha Christie stuff on PBS, which I'm going to guess isn't the audience turning up for this.
That trailer was a big fat "EH" for me.

But I'll still check it out in theaters.

The real ending to Big...
(07-02-2019, 03:33 PM)Bucho Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 02:32 PM)history buff Wrote: Michael Shannon is in this, and since he might be my favorite actor working today, I'll certainly end up watching this.

Have you ever seen this HB?

I saw Driver and Shannon do a reading of the play True West.

I also took a piss next to Nick Kroll.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

This trailer was real rough. I was expecting at least some great cinematography but from what we saw here this looks like Rian's least visually interesting thing he's done and at moments it looked plain ugly. And I thought the humor was bad. The KFC joke is terrible by itself but then the trailer actually relishes that joke.

About the only thing that made me want to see more was Michael Shannon.
the empire never ended
Yeah I love pretty much everything Johnson has done so I will be seeing this but that trailer didn't do much for me.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
What a shitty trailer.

Didn't anyone around here like Clue and Murder by Death and things of that ilk back in the day?
Maybe you needed parents like mine.
Well, this has premiered at the Toronto Film Festival and the critics are coming to bat for Rian once again: https://theplaylist.net/knives-out-rian-...-20190908/

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/knives...202171812/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review...19-1237825

Frickin' Mike D'Angelo (who is... difficult to read) called it the best film he's seen in the last two years: https://twitter.com/gemko/status/1170468651163688963

Sounds like Ana De Armas is the surprise MVP of the film, which is cool.
AW YEA
As someone who was not thrilled with the heavy-handed commentary of the Canto Bight sequence, I can't imagine that removing the sci-fi disguise and making the implications even less veiled will result in something I'll enjoy more.

But I guess I'll know soon enough!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Looking forward to it getting review-bombed on Rotten Tomatoes by the angry Star Wars nerds who won't have even bothered to see it.
(09-08-2019, 11:44 AM)Dent69420 Wrote: Sounds like Ana De Armas is the surprise MVP of the film, which is cool.

She's been awesome in everything I've seen her in.

I had mild interest when I thought it might be something in the vein of Murder on the Orient Express (which, surprisingly, I very much enjoyed).  Bad first trailer was kind of offputting, but maybe the next trailer will make it seem more "whodunnitish" and less "not-funny people joke around during a murder investigation."

(09-08-2019, 11:44 AM)Dent6084 Wrote: Frickin' Mike D'Angelo (who is... difficult to read) called it the best film he's seen in the last two years:

He clearly hasn't seen Joker! *scoff*
aw man, I thought this was coming out somewhat soon

but it's not until the end of November!
At least it's out of the Last Christmas window. It stands a chance!
Glad to hear that this is good. The trailer definitely appealed to my wife and she'll be pleased to hear that it's worthy of seeing.
(09-08-2019, 07:43 PM)freeman Wrote: At least it's out of the Last Christmas window.  It stands a chance!

CLARKE STEAMROLLS ALL!!!
The Twitter reviews of this all sound like they were written by one person.
I'm prepared to be slightly underwhelmed, despite the hype. Johnson is turning into Edgar Wright for me- someone everybody else seems to like just a little bit more. (And that's totally okay, obviously. Sometimes you just get annoyed when you don't share the level of enthusiasm as those around you.)

But it wouldn't surprise me if Film Twitter is in love with the guy's movies in part because he basically is (or at least was) part of that whole scene.
I think every single Rian Johnson film has slightly underwhelmed me now that I think of it. Interesting.
Outside of Looper I've hated every one of Johnson's movies. Maybe hate sounds too strong, but Looper is the only one I've liked. Looper really feels like the one time he actually pulled off the thing he was going for, it's also probably the only one of his movies that doesn't feel like some annoying ironic hipster take on whatever thing he's trying his hand at. Most of the time these kind of takes from him just give the impression that he actively hates whatever sandbox he's playing in...outside of Brothers Bloom. With Brothers Bloom I never got the impression watching it that he dislikes heist movies like how watching Brick it just kind of feels like he hates the conventions of Noir, problem with Brothers Bloom is it's a comedy that just isn't really funny, and Rinko Kikuchi is the only lead in that movie actually pulling off her role.
Looper I heard the pitch and I expected this amazing sort of... I don't know, Minority Report reminiscent taught exciting thriller that had lots of great moments and high concept ideas and all that stuff. While the final film did have some of that, it felt sort of... Small? Stop starty? It wasn't what I was expecting based on the pitch of "time-traveling hitmen." For good and bad.
(09-09-2019, 05:00 AM)freeman Wrote: Looper I heard the pitch and I expected this amazing sort of...  I don't know, Minority Report reminiscent taught exciting thriller that had lots of great moments and high concept ideas and all that stuff.  While the final film did have some of that, it felt sort of... Small?  Stop starty?  It wasn't what I was expecting based on the pitch of "time-traveling hitmen."  For good and bad.

Agreed. Looper's first act still hits hard and well, but each act is weaker than the previous, with the interminable final stretch just irrevocably and ineluctably altering how one perceives it.

Will always adore Brick. Revisit it roughly once a year since seeing it for the first time theatrically in the late spring of 2006 and being amazed by it. Even it is a bit "small" but considering the budgetary restrictions and the almost intentional "minor-ness" atop that smallness, Brick definitely boasts almost dizzying conviction. 

The Brothers Bloom is sweet and works, with some inspired bits and characterizations. It is half of a truly great film.

Like Rian Johnson's '00s output over his '10s output by a massive margin, but others will disagree. Looking forward to Knives Out (excellent title, at least, as far as being intriguing goes). 

Do agree with simbob that the twitter reviews all seem hive-minded in their sameness.
I've seen LOOPER once and all I can remember of it was a guy losing pieces of his body at the beginning. I couldn't tell you what happened after that.