Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INTERSTELLAR (An Observation By Christopher Nolan) Post-release Discussion
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

You gotta come more specific to impress me!

ew gross

AWatching this again today, McConaughey is just so fucking good. Reading back over the last page, I'm kind of surprised to hear that Mann didn't work for some of you. I thought the script set up the "why" of his villainy perfectly.

He's a coward.

You don't need anything other than that. He's brilliant. He's egotistical because brilliant people, especially those in positions of responsibility, often are. But like 99.9% of us, his IDEA of who he was had never been tested by trying circumstances.

To me, his weakness and cowardice after being sentenced to die in solitary isolation is no different than the guy who watches Die Hard 5 times a year, owns a bunch of guns, but when he's in the bank getting robbed he cowers on the ground and pisses himself. Everyone's the hero of their own story, so long as they aren't tested.

Saying his cowardice and actions that stem from it wasn't believable puts you in the same boat as Brand and Coop. How could this guy DO this? How could he of all people put humanity at risk out of his own fear? The answer's the same. No one knows how they'll react in extraordinary circumstances. We like to tell ourselves we'll be selfless. We tell ourselves we'll be heroes. But you don't know until you're there. Asking for more screentime to be spent to "justify" his cowardice isn't needed. He's human. That's enough.

Now if I could just cut Coop's voice track in the tesseract, and mayyyybe one of the "Do Not Go Gentle..." recitations, I'd call it an unqualified masterpiece.

As it is, I think it's a qualified one.

It remains the only film I've seen in a great many years that chokes me up at more than one point. That it's a Nolan film makes that all the more remarkable. It's not unusual for a film to land an emotional punch at the climax, or at the finale. Interstellar puts my heart in my throat at least 4 times, and for different reasons at that:

-Coop's tearful goodbye and drive away/launch sequence.
-Cooper watching videos of his children aging and his grandchild dying after losing 24 years
-The triumph/human spirit of the "no time for caution" docking sequence (90% thanks to Zimmer's score)
-The triumph/human spirit of the second to last final scene with Zimmer's music cresting (which should have been the final scene of the film): Cooper, helmeted, looking into the camera, about to set out for distant shores again. Because that's who we are.
AMann was a coward because he only relied on pure science and had no LOVE to be selfless for.

Hugh Mann, sir!!

I just didn't like Mann because I didn't think the surprise stunt casting of Damon didn't work. He came across funny to me from the moment he finally appeared.

also, doofy lines like

"Mann was the best of us!"
A[quote name="mcnooj82" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1170#post_4470975"]Mann was a coward because he only relied on pure science and had no LOVE to be selfless for.

Hugh Mann, sir!!

I just didn't like Mann because I didn't think the surprise stunt casting of Damon didn't work. He came across funny to me from the moment he finally appeared.[/quote]

I did think it was funny how he tried the "I'm here for you, listen to my voice, you're not alone..."

You know, after trying to kill the guy.

Another thing I loved:

It's a movie about Relativity. And as a film, it plays with both the relative passage of time (a Nolan staple), but also relative movement.

The overhead shots of the rotating docking sequence happen in the context of these characters having already lost 24 years of time. Then we watch the future of humanity literally spiraling out of control. The only way to save it? Relative motion.

First we see the Endeavor spinning and descending with Mann's planet static below. Then as Cooper gets in position, we see the lander and planet both static, with the Endeavor rotating overhead.

And then we're looking down through the Endeavor's ring, as the planet begins to spin. The Endeavor appears to slow, the lander appears to slow, and the planet appears to get faster. Of course, the lander has actually spun up to match the Endeavor's rotation. We cut back to inside the lander to see things from the crew's perspective as well (Brand loses consciousness) but the victory is achieved by relative motion, and the filmmaker makes sure to shift us between each of the 3 points of view on this sequence of movement, just as he moves us through the different points of view on the passage of time.
A[quote name="mcnooj82" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1170#post_4470975"]
also, doofy lines like

"Mann was the best of us!"[/quote]

Him being the best of us was the whole point nooj! Ditto Coop's "only what we take with us" line. That even when you condense humanity down to 4 individuals, one of them turns out to be a fucking coward who places the whole species at risk.
Aoh I know that was the point

his name was MAN!!!
A[quote name="mcnooj82" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1170#post_4470983"]oh I know that was the point

his name was MAN!!![/quote]

Nolan: Master of Subtlety

Still though, the relative motion through space vs relative motion through time stuff from this film redeems the heavy-handed stuff, even Coop's nonstop narration inside the tesseract bookcase.

Each time I watch it, I think "If humans need this sequence narrated to understand what's happening, then we're never getting off this planet and the meta-narrative is depressing as hell."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

Nolan: Master of Subtlety

Still though, the relative motion through space vs relative motion through time stuff from this film redeems the heavy-handed stuff, even Coop's nonstop narration inside the tesseract bookcase.

Each time I watch it, I think "If humans need this sequence narrated to understand what's happening, then we're never getting off this planet and the meta-narrative is depressing as hell."

Humans didn't need it narrated.  BUT TARS DID!

ISS LUVTARS

IS LUV TARS LUV!!!

dammit schwartz

The film's problem isn't exposition or narration. It's that Nolan could be doing so much more to express the story in visual terms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

The film's problem isn't exposition or narration. It's that Nolan could be doing so much more to express the story in visual terms.

Doing more visually would obviate the need for excessive exposition and narration.  So it seems like six in one hand.

A[quote name="Schwartz" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1200#post_4471140"]
Doing more visually would obviate the need for excessive exposition and narration.  So it seems like six in one hand.
[/quote]

Disagree, at least on the third act stuff. I've watched the tesseract sequence on mute and it would have worked just fine without the exposition as-is.

You see that he's the cause of the books falling. Murph already told you they spell "S.T.A.Y." in Act I. You see him look for something, then seem to realize something, and then interact with first the dust, and then the second hand of the watch. Cut to adult Murph seeing the movement of the second hand, and exclaiming "Dad saved us!!" Not a single bit of the exposition is necessary.

All that is lost is knowing that TARS survived the singularity (which you find out later again anyway), and that the "They" were "Us," according to Cooper. Not needed.

This is the only Nolan film I want an Alternate/Director's Cut of. Cut the ADR from the entire tesseract sequence, tighten it up by about 60 seconds as a result, and swap the last 2 scenes so it ends on Cooper staring into the camera/out into space. Masterpiece.

Sorry, what I was saying was that the film already has plenty of exposition (which may not have addressed the OP correctly).

NASA's released a visualization of a black hole...and it looks awfully familiar:

https://nerdist.com/article/nasas-new-bl...erstellar/

[Image: black-hole-GIF.gif]
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
ITS LUV
Even without the scientific accuracy (comparative to other movies of the genre) this movie is just so extraordinarily awesome. I think it's my favorite Nolan movie..
I just watched it the other day. Gets better every time I watch it. I think I've also changed my mind about how sappy it is. It's actually really touching.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I’ve done a 180 on it myself and kinda agree with Fraid...it may be Nolan’s best film.
(09-26-2019, 05:27 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Even without the scientific accuracy (comparative to other movies of the genre) this movie is just so extraordinarily awesome. I think it's my favorite Nolan movie..

(09-27-2019, 02:29 AM)Evi Wrote: I just watched it the other day. Gets better every time I watch it. I think I've also changed my mind about how sappy it is. It's actually really touching.

(09-27-2019, 09:25 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: I’ve done a 180 on it myself and kinda agree with Fraid...it may be Nolan’s best film.

MY PEOPLE
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

I... still don't love it. It leaves me cold. Maybe its McConnaugghhterwtfrewrwds (sp?) I don't know.

I LOVE Inception though!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

I still think it crashes into the mountain around the time Matt Damon shows up, but so much of it is great... the scene where McConaughey watches the video of his kids over the last 20 years . . . GUHHHHH. Tears still explode out of my face. Gotta be the most moving moment of Nolan's career.
I go back and forth on which one just blows me away more...Interstellar or Dunkirk. That's not throwing shade at the Dark Knight trilogy...these are just SO well made. They're the films that make me think that Nolan really may be Kubrick's successor.

Oddly...Inception is the one that leaves me coldest. Something about that one just doesn't gel for me. And it COMPLETELY falls apart for me by the time that oddly flat as a pancake snow fortress scene drags its interminable ass across the screen..
(09-27-2019, 09:28 AM)Neil Spurn Wrote: I... still don't love it.  It leaves me cold.  Maybe its McConnaugghhterwtfrewrwds (sp?)  I don't know.  

I LOVE Inception though!

Dammit, Neil!

HEY THAT'S MY LINE!

Lesser artists imitate. Greater artists steal.

Pfft. Charmer.

I have lots and lots of problems with this movie, but McConaughey's performance isn't one of them.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(09-27-2019, 02:29 AM)Evi Wrote: I just watched it the other day. Gets better every time I watch it. I think I've also changed my mind about how sappy it is. It's actually really touching.

I've always loved the sappiness of that movie.  HELL YES I LOVE ANN HATHAWAYS LOVE SPEECH.
"There's only one question to resolve. I'm scared. I feel a little crazy. I'm not lucid. The assumptions are right. I can feel my fear growing. Now is the time for the answer. Just one question. One question to answer.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

I’m cool with her speech!

It’s very Nolan!
Count me also as someone who never had a problem with it. She's desperately trying to convince a couple of extremely dubious colleagues to go to her preferred planet, fair enough. The way trashnerds lost their shit over it like she was making an empirical statement of absolute irrefutable unchallengeable fact just made me roll my eyes until the tendons snapped.

Anyone who's ever watched more than a single Cinemasins or similarly wretched autoid nitpicker horseshit video should be executed, imo.
it’s silly too, because that kind of speechifying is ALL over Nolan’s movies

but the moment it’s a woman emotionally, but sternly making her case to a man....

I dunnooooOOOOooooo hahahaha

(stops laughing and glares)
(09-27-2019, 09:25 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: I’ve done a 180 on it myself and kinda agree with Fraid...it may be Nolan’s best film.

Interstellar is an odd way of spelling The Prestige.

"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
(09-28-2019, 06:02 PM)Nooj Wrote: it’s silly too, because that kind of speechifying is ALL over Nolan’s movies

but the moment it’s a woman emotionally, but sternly making her case to a man....

I dunnooooOOOOooooo hahahaha

(stops laughing and glares)
The Hathaway stuff never bothered me (and I don't totally get why people hate her), although Jessica Chastain figuring out the equation to find her father, then throwing the papers up in the air while spinning around Mary Tyler Moore style did give me a chuckle. "Hoorayyyyyyy!"

The weak part of the movie is all the Casey Affleck/Topher Grace burning cornfield stuff. Nolan had to cross-cut with *something,* but it wasn't compelling at all. Also, I wish someone, at any point, noted that their dinners consisted of corn on the cob and corn muffins with corn pudding. Just one "CHRIST, CORN AGAIN? REALLY?" would have been nice.
hahaha that EUREKA!!! moment was balanced out by chastain shrugging it off with “it’s tradition!” or something

(if I recall correctly)

heheheh the threat of Casey v Topher was so goofy! Because suspense conventions of movies dictates that all those scenes are happening simultaneously so that McConaughey has a figurative and literal ticking clock, but Nolan needs to add Topher with a tire iron to give Chastain’s search some kind of urgency
"GET IN THE GODDAMN TRUCK!"

Grace screams like a pro in that scene.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!