Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Late Thread with David Letterman

Daily News has a take down profile of Letterman, really an advert for a new Bio:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/late-ni...spartanntp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

Daily News has a take down profile of Letterman, really an advert for a new Bio:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/late-ni...spartanntp

Ha, Dave was frequently cranky and miserable? Who would have guessed?

Quote:
A comedy bit called for a life-size Letterman doll to sit in the guest’s chair. Seemingly on the spur of the moment, Letterman punched the doll — to much audience laughter.

The laughs continued as he landed a few more blows. And then the 580-seat theater went silent when Letterman fell into a frenzy of punching and slapping his plastic alter ego.

Obviously, something was wrong with Dave.

Ha, I couldn't find this clip on Youtube but now I want to see it.

ASounds like Dave alright.

In tribute...

Somebody compiled all the segments Dave did during the Tonight Show conflict in 2010.  Probably the most fire Dave had in his eyes during the final decade of his Late Show.

ALetterman returning to Netflix next year. Interview show. Starting with a six-episode series.
ANice! I guess Norm must have convinced him.

Will he keep the beard?

Epic, 90-minute interview on Stern today.

Don Giller, Letterman's video historian, recorded action before and after Letterman's Mark Twain ceremony yesterday.  God bless the man.  Steve Martin, Martin Short, Bill Murray, Norm MacDonald, Jimmy Walker, Paul, Biff, Kimmel, all there.  Letterman is so uncomfortable.

Just rewatched that, and towards the end Norm seems to tentatively reach out to put his arm around Paul and Biff and Kimmel, but he retracts it.  Bums me out.

IT'S A FIRE LOG HOLDER!

The Mark Twain Prize special for Letterman airs tonight on PBS. If you were hoping to catch Al Franken's tribute to Dave during the broadcast you're out of luck. Hopefully that means way more airtime for Jimmie Walker.

Only fifteen minutes in and I'm laughing my ass off at the old Stupid Pet Tricks.

And if there was any doubt the award was deserved:

Leslie Nielsen.  Chin-balancing.  Amazing.

Dick Enberg's appearances over the years.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/david-letter...202236303/

Quote:

Netflix has taken the wraps off David Letterman’s new six-episode talk show series. It is titled My Guest Needs No Introduction With David Letterman and the debut of the one-hour talk show will stream January 12 with President Barack Obama as the first guest. A new episode will run out monthly during 2018.

The first season’s guest list is a doozy: Aside from Obama, it features George Clooney, Malala Yousafzai, Jay-Z, Tina Fey, Howard Stern. The January 12 interview will be Obama’s first talk-show appearance since leaving office.

ATBH I could take or leave Fey and Clooney. Pretty solid list though
A[quote name="Subotai" url="/community/t/150189/the-late-thread-with-david-letterman/100#post_4410982"][/quote]

Worth it just for Norm and Bill, although Steve Martin and Martin Short were splendid as openers too.

Mirthful Jerry Van Dyke appearance from '94:

Dude, was awesome

Waiting on the first episode, damn it, but I gotta get some sleep

I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Don Giller, one of the five most important humans on the planet, has been posting interesting collections of Letterman episodes.  One of the most poignant is the Siskel and Ebert Collection, which runs more than seven hours. 

The first time, back in '82 (The first film they talk about is Venom)

And the last:

Oh man, I gotta start devouring these.
Thanks for the links, subotai.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(09-17-2019, 07:17 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Thanks for the links, subotai.

Sure thing. 

Unfortunately one of my most anticipated collections - where Letterman ran around town with models - was zapped by Youtube.  That one hurt.  Something to do with the background music or something.

Giller has finished digitalizing all of Letterman's run and is now working on Tom Snyder and Kilborn.  Today he posted a terrific, 30-minute Snyder episode with Phil Hartman from the launch of Newsradio.  Damn, miss this guy.  Both of them

Why the hell is it up to a fan to be the custodian of Letterman's gargantuan archives?  Whatever black magic Conan had to wield to work with NBC to digitize his comparably huge library of master tapes for LATE NIGHT was probably more difficult than whatever would have to be done to hammer out a similar agreement to make Letterman's available.  The first two decades of his career is stuck on fragile analog format, so there is a time issue here.  Just get it done.  Two thirds of Carson's tenure is gone thanks to the outmoded practice of tape wiping.  If we lose a frame of Letterman because the people in charge are too lazy or cheap to properly preserve his run, that's fucking dumb.
Dave pops up in the new BETWEEN TWO FERNS movie.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
I started watching the Siskel and Ebert segments the other day. I feel like I've seen my share of movies, especially from the 80's, but it's so weird hearing them talk with Dave and constantly refer to films I've never heard of in my life.

For example, I had zero clue that Luciano Pavarotti made a movie with the lady from RAW DEAL called YES, GIORGIO.

[Image: 24537_YES.jpg]
Letterman is the first guest on the new season of Conan's podcast. Monday.
Major panic last week when the Donz's channel was shut down, at the time apparently irrevocably. Thankfully phone calls were made, animals were sacrificed, and the channel is back up. The sticking point is music, I guess, which unfortunately means that the trips about town Dave made with Elite Models will probably not be added to the collection. I think the Donz is working at editing collections so that there is less chance of an infraction reported by some no-life pond scum.

I think he has just about every minute of LN/LS on digital; just finding the right platform is the problem.

(10-05-2019, 09:34 AM)fatherdude Wrote: Letterman is the first guest on the new season of Conan's podcast. Monday.
This was great. The Bob Hope stories made me laugh hard.