Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.19 Average
Trumpocalypse Now
(10-15-2019, 01:54 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: If they don't nail this fucking prick they're setting a precedent that is going to only make things worse down the line. I'm not convinced any of it is going anywhere anymore. It boggles my mind how many dozens of times someone like Obama would've been impeached by now. Makes me fucking sick..

Impeachment or no, we will set the precedent next November.

If Republicans maintain power, then we've decided we don't care what they do.

If we sweep them out on their asses and keep them out, the next evil dildo who backs into power will think twice.

Realistically, I know that taking the Presidency and the Senate is probably only a coin flip at best. But even being fully aware of the apathy and ignorance of many voters, it'll still be pretty disappointing if we don't absolutely DECIMATE the Republicans next year.

They are as stupid and as evil as human beings can be and still make it through each day without walking into traffic. We HAVE to be better than this.
Gamertag: Tweakee
(10-15-2019, 06:50 PM)doc happenin Wrote: Actually, I’m with brad - this should end four years to the day that Comey released that bullshit statement. Enough time to sway voters (those asshole independents) but not enough time for the Republicans to escape the blue tidal wave of consequences for lashing onto that mast so tightly.

In my dreams, that is.

Oh I concur.  Drag this shit out and eat up precious campaign time.  Keep them on the defensive.
Dems aren't going to do anything to the people refusing subpoenas besides add it to the obstruction pile. They'll be far too timid about feeding the "coup" narrative if they actually detained anyone.
Peter Navarro, Trump's trade adviser, has an imaginary friend:

https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/2...TEI4cXVIOA

Quote:Tessa Morris-Suzuki views Navarro’s rhetoric on China with alarm. An emeritus professor of Japanese and Korean history at the Australian National University, she has been working on an essay examining the heated language that Navarro employs, noting its similarity to talk of a "yellow peril" at the turn of the 20th century. 

In her research, she kept running across a name she didn't recognize: Ron Vara. Navarro has quoted Vara a dozen or so times in six books, usually as an epigraph before a chapter. In Death by China, published in 2011, Vara offers this sweeping assessment of the country’s roughly 1.4 billion people: “Only the Chinese can turn a leather sofa into an acid bath, a baby crib into a lethal weapon, and a cellphone battery into heart-piercing shrapnel.”

So who is Ron Vara? He didn’t seem to exist except in the work of Peter Navarro. The most information Morris-Suzuki could find came from Navarro’s 2001 book, If It’s Raining in Brazil, Buy Starbucks (McGraw-Hill). In that book, which lays out Navarro’s plan for how to profit by paying attention to bad news, the reader learns that Vara was a “struggling doctoral student in economics” at Harvard in the mid-1980s, slogging away on a thesis about utilities regulation. 

Morris-Suzuki, now in full detective mode, sent emails to some colleagues at Harvard, but no one could turn up any record of Vara. 

While Ron Vara appears not to have attended Harvard in the 1980s, Navarro did. He was a doctoral student in economics who published research on, as it happens, utilities regulation. Not all of Vara’s biography lines up with Navarro’s (Ron Vara, for example, was a military reservist during the first Gulf War, back when Navarro was a 40-something economics professor), but there was enough overlap to arouse suspicion.

And there was another tip-off: “Ron Vara” is an anagram of “Navarro.”
Remember how we learned recently that Trump tried to get Giuliani client Reza Zarrab off the hook?  Well, SDNY has unveiled its charges against Zarrab, and it's a record-breaking, money-laundering scheme:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/stat...9218581506

(10-15-2019, 08:05 PM)jmacq1 Wrote: Dems aren't going to do anything to the people refusing subpoenas besides add it to the obstruction pile. They'll be far too timid about feeding the "coup" narrative if they actually detained anyone.

Probably, but considering that Rudy doesn't actually hold any post in the government and is emerging as the central dingbat in all this, maybe they figure he's the one to set the example.  But I don't even know what the right move is; for now they are making good headway getting Trump lackeys to testify in spite of his threats.  If they do manage to cirvcle the wagons around Rudy and keep him out of jail, maybe the momentum stalls out and the rats start thinking obstruction is a safer bet than cooperation.  

They seem to be making progress for now, so my guess is that they will not chance any move big enough to blow up in their faces until they run out of smaller fish to grill.
The Flynns weren't the only ones trying to extradite Fethullah Gulen to please Erdogan:

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/giuliani-...52522.html

Quote:Rudy Giuliani repeatedly urged President Donald Trump in 2017 to extradite Fethullah Gulen, a Turkish cleric living in exile in Pennsylvania, to Turkey — a move that would have fulfilled a top priority of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, The Washington Post reported Tuesday.

Erdogan has accused Gulen, a U.S. permanent resident, of plotting a failed military coup against him in 2016. Gulen has denied the allegation. 

The Turkish leader pressed both former President Barack Obama and Trump to eject Gulen so he can face trial in Turkey. After Obama refused to comply, Erdogan lamented in 2016 that he’d grown “disillusioned” with U.S. leadership. 

Trump — who recently pulled U.S. troops from northern Syria, opening the door for Erdogan to launch an offensive there — has reportedly sought ways to extradite Gulen from the U.S. in an effort to appease Ankara. NBC News reported last November that officials in the Trump administration had asked federal law enforcement agencies to look into legal ways to expel the cleric, an effort to assuage Turkey over the Saudi killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi on Turkish soil.

Trump denied the report, however, saying that Erdogan was a “friend of mine,” but ejecting Gulen was “not under consideration.”

The Washington Post, citing multiple former administration officials, reported Tuesday that Trump had appeared to be “receptive” to Giuliani’s frequent suggestions that Gulen be extradited, but that other administration officials were vehemently opposed to the idea.
What the FBI thinks of the Ukraine call:

https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-offi...rt-2019-10

Quote:Three years ago, the FBI launched an unprecedented investigation focused on one question: Did President Donald Trump's campaign help a foreign power interfere in the 2016 election?

Now, just months after that investigation was formally closed, FBI officials are stunned the president is openly calling for another country to intervene in another presidential election.

One special agent, who spoke with Insider on the condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak to the press, said officials were "rattled" not just by the nature of Trump's actions but also by his brazenness.

"You walk down the halls and there was this sense of dread, and everyone's kind of thinking, did the president really do this?" the agent said.

The agent was one of four current and former officials Insider spoke with about the matter. In addition to feeling undermined by the Justice Department's ongoing investigation into the Russia probe's origins, sources also said FBI officials were frustrated with how the Justice Department handled a criminal referral related to a whistleblower's allegations against Trump, saying it added to a sense that the bureau was being "neutered."
Penzeys Spices isn't finished yet:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/bus...984342002/

Quote:Doubling down on both the political and business fronts, Penzeys Spices has launched an unusual promotion that, according to chief executive Bill Penzey, had raised $435,000 as of late Tuesday afternoon for Facebook ads urging the impeachment of President Donald Trump.

Since Sunday morning, the Wauwatosa-based firm has been channeling all the revenue generated by online sales to new customers into the pro-impeachment drive spearheaded by the company's founder, who for some time has been vocal about his political views.

The effort originally was to end Monday night, but on Tuesday the company tweeted that it would continue the promotion through the day. 

In dedicating the revenue to promoting the impeachment campaign on Facebook, the company will forgo profit on the sales and absorb the cost of the spices, Penzey said in an interview. The move is sure to entrench him and his company still more deeply in the country's political battlefields — terrain businesses generally try to avoid.

Penzey, though, finds it impossible to separate his politics from his business, and believes the attention his unusual stance is attracting can ultimately boost the Penzeys brand and lead to increased sales.

“How do you get to be Miller Brewing?" Penzey asked rhetorically. "How do you get to be Harley-Davidson? And I think that us doing our thing is us getting to be Penzeys Spices.”

"Everything is a brand," he said. "And how do some of them, by being who they are, become something that's sort of universal? And I think we've taken a big step in that direction the last few years."

Penzeys drew notice last week with a report that it had spent $92,000 on a pro-impeachment Facebook post. In the wake of the reaction to the move, Penzey decided to earmark two days' worth of revenue from new online customers for further Facebook spending.

The original $92,000 Facebook ad spending on impeachment was second only to the $729,000 spent by the Trump campaign during the week of Sept. 29-Oct. 5, according to data compiled by Bully Pulpit Interactive.
(10-15-2019, 11:57 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: The Flynns weren't the only ones trying to extradite Fethullah Gulen to please Erdogan:

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/giuliani-...52522.html

Quote:Rudy Giuliani repeatedly urged President Donald Trump in 2017 to extradite Fethullah Gulen, a Turkish cleric living in exile in Pennsylvania, to Turkey — a move that would have fulfilled a top priority of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, The Washington Post reported Tuesday.

Erdogan has accused Gulen, a U.S. permanent resident, of plotting a failed military coup against him in 2016. Gulen has denied the allegation. 

The Turkish leader pressed both former President Barack Obama and Trump to eject Gulen so he can face trial in Turkey. After Obama refused to comply, Erdogan lamented in 2016 that he’d grown “disillusioned” with U.S. leadership. 

Trump — who recently pulled U.S. troops from northern Syria, opening the door for Erdogan to launch an offensive there — has reportedly sought ways to extradite Gulen from the U.S. in an effort to appease Ankara. NBC News reported last November that officials in the Trump administration had asked federal law enforcement agencies to look into legal ways to expel the cleric, an effort to assuage Turkey over the Saudi killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi on Turkish soil.

Trump denied the report, however, saying that Erdogan was a “friend of mine,” but ejecting Gulen was “not under consideration.”

The Washington Post, citing multiple former administration officials, reported Tuesday that Trump had appeared to be “receptive” to Giuliani’s frequent suggestions that Gulen be extradited, but that other administration officials were vehemently opposed to the idea.

Gullen is another one of these morally ambiguous plot points, like the fact that our "alliance" with the Kurds had an obvious expiration date on it.  The federal government keeps a dictator-in-waiting on backup for every country we do business with whose sovereignty we don't take seriously, and Gullen is obviously the guy we're keeping in case we decide to overthrow Erdogan in a fake people's rebellion, and he almost certainly is the terrorist leader in waiting that Erdogan says he is.  We should have washed out hands of this guy years ago.

But we're only considering doing it now as some sort of favor-currying drug deal with a government that hosts one of Trump's newest real estate investments, so it's flagrant corruption that's motivating what would otherwise be right action.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
For a second I thought that said "Guiliani is a morally ambiguous plot point.."

Heh..
Trump invited grieving British parents to the White House. Their son's killer was also there, and Trump was going to turn into a "surprise" photo op - https://www.thedailybeast.com/anne-sacoo...hite-house

JESUS FUCK.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
What a ghoul. I don't care who planned this repugnant event. The fact that Trump, as a father who obviously has no capacity for empathy despite his words with that poor woman, would even go along with it is enough for me to want him the hell away from any position where high level decision-making occurs.

(10-16-2019, 09:38 AM)Mangy Wrote: Trump invited grieving British parents to the White House. Their son's killer was also there, and Trump was going to turn into a "surprise" photo op - https://www.thedailybeast.com/anne-sacoo...hite-house

JESUS FUCK.

It's like something Hunter S.Thompson would make up if he were still alive.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
Ha! That’s some epic owning of the libs that it came right around and became an own-goal. I mean, ffs, I feel like Brendan Gleeson in Troy after Orlando Bloom runs away, like, ‘Really, America?!? This is what we abandoned our principles for you deplorable pieces of shit?!’

Thats incredibly callous and ill-advised.

These ghouls.
That's sociopathic.

Unsurprisingly.

I have this desire to tell all non-Americans to PLEASE GOD....do not judge us by him. We're really REALLY not all even remotely like that. Or brush the shit he does and says off because of his office. It is an absolute embarrassment and a disgrace. I do believe America is a great country. But it can only ever continue to be great or become greater by living up to the values and ideals that our country likes to THINK we embody. How about really actually embodying it? My great-grandfather, upon arriving to New York after immigrating to the US from (then) Czechoslovakia became so excited and emotional upon seeing the Statue of Liberty that he leapt from the boat. Where's THAT US? Did it ever exist? I'd like to think so. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! Yeah....go fuck yourself early and often for that. Take those red hats and stick em up your fat ass..
As Americans, we don't deserve to be judged by the actions of the worst of us.

We deserve to be judged for the apathy that allowed the worst of us to seize power.
It's really something to see this combination of total sociopathic lack of empathy and utter cluelessness combined in one person. Usually psychos have to be high-functioning enough to pretend like they're normal if they want to stay out of the mental hospital, but when you've spent your entire life coasting on Daddy's success and American society's willingness to overlook literally anything for anyone who's wealthy enough, why go to the trouble?
ProPublica obtained Trump tax records that appear to back up former Trump fixer Michael Cohen's testimony that Trump falsely inflated his real estate assets to obtain loans and falsely deflated them to avoid property taxes:

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump...sistencies

Quote:Documents obtained by ProPublica show stark differences in how Donald Trump’s businesses reported some expenses, profits and occupancy figures for two Manhattan buildings, giving a lender different figures than they provided to New York City tax authorities. The discrepancies made the buildings appear more profitable to the lender — and less profitable to the officials who set the buildings’ property tax.

For instance, Trump told the lender that he took in twice as much rent from one building as he reported to tax authorities during the same year, 2017. He also gave conflicting occupancy figures for one of his signature skyscrapers, located at 40 Wall Street.

Lenders like to see a rising occupancy level as a sign of what they call “leasing momentum.” Sure enough, the company told a lender that 40 Wall Street had been 58.9% leased on Dec. 31, 2012, and then rose to 95% a few years later. The company told tax officials the building was 81% rented as of Jan. 5, 2013.

A dozen real estate professionals told ProPublica they saw no clear explanation for multiple inconsistencies in the documents. The discrepancies are “versions of fraud,” said Nancy Wallace, a professor of finance and real estate at the Haas School of Business at the University of California-Berkeley. “This kind of stuff is not OK.”

New York City’s property tax forms state that the person signing them “affirms the truth of the statements made” and that “false filings are subject to all applicable civil and criminal penalties.”

The punishments for lying to tax officials, or to lenders, can be significant, ranging from fines to criminal fraud charges. Two former Trump associates, Michael Cohen and Paul Manafort, are serving prison time for offenses that include falsifying tax and bank records, some of them related to real estate.
At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if his defense for that shit was "they won't impeach me for treason...and that's way worse than tax fraud!" and it actually worked..
(10-16-2019, 09:47 AM)Reasor Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 09:38 AM)Mangy Wrote: Trump invited grieving British parents to the White House. Their son's killer was also there, and Trump was going to turn into a "surprise" photo op - https://www.thedailybeast.com/anne-sacoo...hite-house

JESUS FUCK.

It's like something Hunter S.Thompson would make up if he were still alive.

Quote:[color=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]“When he [President Trump] held my hand, I gripped it a lot tighter and I was honest with him and just said, as I said a while ago, ‘If it was your son you would be doing the same as us,’” Charles told the [/color]British news media [color=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85)]traveling with them. “He actually gripped my hand a little bit tighter and said ‘Yes I would be.’ And that’s when he said he would try and look at this from a different angle.”[/color]
Oh hey, we're doing this thing where we're praising President Fuckface for doing the bare minimum...again.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Alert! Alert! Another airport arrest:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1184484050330890242

Quote:JUST IN: David Correia, 1 of the 4 people indicted in an alleged scheme to funnel foreign money and violate FEC laws was taken into custody at New York's JFK airport this morning; the case includes Giuliani associates Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman
Quote:Oh hey, we're doing this thing where we're praising President Fuckface for doing the bare minimum...again.

It's a parent who was grateful to be consoled...of course she'll be appreciative. You know, until he tried to turn it into a goddamn episode of Jerry Springer.

Very funny how all of these frauds are getting arrested at the airport.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
A few Syria news bits....

The evacuations of U.S. soldiers are "extremely dangerous," despite Trump already saying that they're not in harm's way:

https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status...1440821249

Quote:Senior US defense official tells Fox this is a "deliberate phased withdrawal" of US troops out of Syria. US military is collapsing patrol bases, will be airlifted out. It is an extremely dangerous evacuation that is underway, according to US military commanders.

And Trump's ongoing, insane rambling including this... whatever about sand:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1184489293315751938

Quote:"It's not our problem," Trump says in Oval Office of Turkey's invasion into Syria. He adds that the Kurds are "not angels." Also, he says this: "They've got a lot of sand over there.... There's a lot of sand they can play with."
President Erdogan says he will refuse to meet with VP Pence, who is due to travel to Turkey to argue for a ceasefire in the ongoing Syria conflict:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/erdog...d_nn_tw_np

Quote:The vice president’s office announced Tuesday that Pence would lead a U.S. delegation including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, national security adviser Robert O’Brien and the special representative for Syria, James Jeffrey, to Ankara. The aim of the trip was to persuade Erdogan to stop his offensive into the region.

On Tuesday, Erdogan vowed that he would not declare a cease-fire in northeast Syria.

“They say ‘declare a cease-fire.' We will never declare a cease-fire,” Erdogan told reporters after a visit to Azerbaijan.

“They are pressuring us to stop the operation. They are announcing sanctions. Our goal is clear. We are not worried about any sanctions,” he added.
So much winning.
Watching the press conference with DJT and the Italian president Sergio Mattarella....the attempts by DJT to try and sound smart is truly painful to watch.

He's so fucking inarticulate in his ignorance as to cause physical and psychological discomfort to those viewing him.

The only reason that it's worth watching is that there is a possibility that he will say something so horrendous that he will utter some sounds that will utterly destroy his time in DC.....that and the hope he will have a massive coronary live on camera.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
He's already done the former, multiple times, with zero consequences. So the best we can hope for is the latter. But that's also not going to happen in this dark timeline.
Re: the President's statement on sand and the Kurds.

Da fuck?
(10-16-2019, 03:00 PM)JMurdoch Wrote: Re: the President's statement on sand and the Kurds.

Da fuck?

Just assume it’s racist as fuck.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Here's more on the latest airport arrest.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019...997656002/

Quote:The fourth suspect still at large in an alleged conspiracy scheme involving associates of President Donald Trump's personal attorney Rudolph Giuliani surrendered to the FBI on Wednesday.

FBI agents took David Correia into custody at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City around 10:30 a.m., the FBI and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York confirmed.

Correia surrendered after returning to the U.S., a law enforcement official said. The official, who is not authorized to comment publicly, said investigators had been in touch with Corriea’s representatives while the 44-year-old Florida resident was out of the country and had arranged for the surrender.

He is expected to be presented in Manhattan federal court Wednesday, said Nicholas Biase, a spokesman for the prosecutor's office. The other defendants, Giuliani associates Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, as well as Andrey Kukushkin, a California resident, are expected to appear for initial hearings in the same courthouse on Thursday.

Correia, a 44-year-old Florida resident, was the only one of four co-defendants who was not arrested Oct. 10, when federal prosecutors announced the charges.

Correia is the only one of the co-defendants who was born in the United States, the indictment shows. Parnas and Kukushkin are U.S. citizens who were born in Ukraine, and Fruman is a U.S. citizen who was born in Belarus, the indictment said.

The co-defendants are accused of illegally funneling thousands of dollars in foreign money to U.S. election candidates and committees in an effort to buy influence.
Still trying to process what it must have been like for the parents of the British kid killed by the American motorist, sitting there listening to our big boy president talk about how lots of people don't realize you drive on the other side of the road in the UK and its something we're going to look at very strongly.
A former White House adviser viewed Sondland as a potential national security risk.  He extensively used a personal cellphone for official diplomatic business and repeatedly told foreign officials they were welcome to come to the White House whenever they liked.  At one point, Romanians showed up without an appointment:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/16/us/po...-risk.html
(10-16-2019, 03:16 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: Still trying to process what it must have been like for the parents of the British kid killed by the American motorist, sitting there listening to our big boy president talk about how lots of people don't realize you drive on the other side of the road in the UK and its something we're going to look at very strongly.

I'm repeatedly surprised at how no one has just gone off on him. I have to think most of the people he offends are just so shocked by witnessing someone with no empathy or social skills that they're too stunned to react.