Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
TERMINATOR: DARK FATE Post-Release Discussion
Fun story: I had seats to a press screening of DARK FATE on Monday. The local Drafthouse was screening TERMINATOR 2 tonight and I thought I'd take my girlfriend as a refresher, as she hadn't seen T2 in many years.

And it turns out the whole thing was a fib and they showed us DARK FATE instead. (I'm reminded of the guy who had tickets to see STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN three months before JJ's reboot hit -- Skydance showed TREK '09 instead. He dug it but still wished he'd seen WoK)

Short version: It's pretty good.

It's fine for the first half, which is centered squarely on Dani, Grace, and Sarah. The film shifts gears when Arnold enters the story proper, and I really enjoyed the back stretch. Please keep in mind that T2 was my favorite film as a child, I think THE TERMINATOR is basically perfect, and I'd argue TERMINATOR 3 is better than its reputation.

Speaking of TERMINATOR 3, I can't decide whether I prefer it or DARK FATE. The characters in DF are a not-inconsiderable improvement (as is Arnold), but T3 is such a lean action machine with a big ending. DARK FATE, for as much as I enjoyed it (and yes I might have cried fuck you I'll say again T2 was my favorite movie as a kid), never really seemed to justify its own existence. It does a bunch of things well but all of it feels like a variation on stuff we already saw in T3-GENISYS.

Can I shrug positively? I don't know if I'll ever watch it again but I enjoyed it for what it is the one time I did.
Sounds like every bit the equal of Terminator 3!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
But how does it stack up to Genysissiessueisusis... Ses?

No Emilia is a MAJOR strike against it.

But GILF Hamilton is a major boon.
(10-21-2019, 01:52 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: Sounds like every bit the equal of Terminator 3!

And that's a good thing!

A very good thing!

No it's not!
It's an adequate thing! A thing that will pass the time!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(10-21-2019, 02:34 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: It's an adequate thing! A thing that will pass the time!

[Image: giphy.gif]

Terminator 3 has that one good action scene. You know the one.

That's it.
(10-21-2019, 01:52 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: Sounds like every shit the equal of Terminator 3!

FTFY
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(10-21-2019, 01:46 AM)The Dark Shape Wrote: It does a bunch of things well but all of it feels like a variation on stuff we already saw in T3-GENISYS.

Which is the vibe the trailer and clip gave me: competent to good, but nothing we haven't seen several times before, and not really any better than those.

I give T3 props for the ending, but it's otherwise (IMNSHO) a weak rehash of T2. For me, only the first two films have been worth my time.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
It is a VERY weak rehash of T2. It is a shit looking movie almost top to bottom. The ending really is good but it's not enough to save it..
There's a sense of doom to T3 that I appreciate. Beltrami's score is bathed in gloom, like it could only ever end with the world being nuked.
Dark Shape: I'm curious how polished the final film looked. What I've seen in the trailers looks wildly inconsistent from shot to shot, and the acting also looks wobbly.
Is this score Terminatorish? The Sarah Connor clip just confirmed to me they pussy footed on a techno score yet again.
(10-21-2019, 01:46 AM)The Dark Shape Wrote: Fun story: I had seats to a press screening of DARK FATE on Monday. The local Drafthouse was screening TERMINATOR 2 tonight and I thought I'd take my girlfriend as a refresher, as she hadn't seen T2 in many years.

And it turns out the whole thing was a fib and they showed us DARK FATE instead. (I'm reminded of the guy who had tickets to see STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN three months before JJ's reboot hit -- Skydance showed TREK '09 instead. He dug it but still wished he'd seen WoK)

Short version: It's pretty good.

It's fine for the first half, which is centered squarely on Dani, Grace, and Sarah. The film shifts gears when Arnold enters the story proper, and I really enjoyed the back stretch. Please keep in mind that T2 was my favorite film as a child, I think THE TERMINATOR is basically perfect, and I'd argue TERMINATOR 3 is better than its reputation.

Speaking of TERMINATOR 3, I can't decide whether I prefer it or DARK FATE. The characters in DF are a not-inconsiderable improvement (as is Arnold), but T3 is such a lean action machine with a big ending. DARK FATE, for as much as I enjoyed it (and yes I might have cried fuck you I'll say again T2 was my favorite movie as a kid), never really seemed to justify its own existence. It does a bunch of things well but all of it feels like a variation on stuff we already saw in T3-GENISYS.

Can I shrug positively? I don't know if I'll ever watch it again but I enjoyed it for what it is the one time I did.

So how does it handle the whole John Conner thing?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
More like John RetConner!

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
I’m still a little disappointed that they’re breaking the tradition of having a different John Conner every time.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
(10-21-2019, 03:26 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: So how does it handle the whole John Conner thing?

(10-21-2019, 06:18 PM)superlaser Wrote: I’m still a little disappointed that they’re breaking the tradition of having a different John Conner every time.

....... "Connor."

See, these are fake fans.
And it's Silberman, not Sieberman.
“Sarah Conner?”

“No. It’s Sarah Connor.”

“Never mind.”

Strides cooly back to vehicle.
ANSWER THE QUESTION!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
John is in it more than Hicks is in ALIEN 3.

It looks... fine. The FX are serviceable but there are a number of weaker shots. I'd say as a whole it looks better than GENISYS but worse than the others.
(10-21-2019, 07:35 PM)carnotaur3 Wrote: “Sarah Conner?”

“No. It’s Sarah Connor.”

“Never mind.”

Strides cooly back to vehicle.

"He's gonna be called the Typo Killer."

"I hate these press cases."
(10-21-2019, 08:48 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote: John is in it more than Hicks is in ALIEN 3.

It looks... fine. The FX are serviceable but there are a number of weaker shots. I'd say as a whole it looks better than GENISYS but worse than the others.

So those reddit rumors.....true huh?
Saw it yesterday. Ask what you want.
Wash day? Nothing clean, right?
John is dead in act 1 right?
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?
Yup. 2nd scene in the film.
Isn't that like... Dumb? A bad thing?
(10-28-2019, 04:38 AM)Felix Wrote: Yup. 2nd scene in the film.

I bet that cup of coffee Furlong got for a day's work was pretty sweet.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
A little hint. It was like that Sean Young cameo in Blade Runner 2049.
(10-28-2019, 05:36 AM)Felix Wrote: A little hint. It was like that Sean Young cameo in Blade Runner 2049.

Yes except immediately dead.
I saw a podcast with Edward Furlong recently and thought it was weird he didn't mention Dark Fate, but now I understand why.
(10-28-2019, 08:26 AM)Shreds Wrote: I saw a podcast with Edward Furlong recently and thought it was weird he didn't mention Dark Fate, but now I understand why.

I know now why you cry, but it's something I can never do. 
...don't do it