Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.19 Average
Trumpocalypse Now
(11-23-2019, 02:50 PM)rexbanner Wrote: But if it's Warren, Sanders, or Buttiegieg, the Russian-Republican machine will get to work immediately. It'll be Warren's Native American stuff, Sanders's health, and they'll smear Buttigieg on his sexuality - nevermind how Trump's incapable of telling the truth, is unhealthy as fuck and in advancing stages of dementia, and is a warped sexual predator.
Oh, for sure. The funny thing here isn't the bullshit smear campaign, it's the fact that these dumbfucks ran their bullshit smear campaign so quickly and thoroughly off-the-rails that it's gone beyond simple muck-raking and into attempted extortion of foreign governments into interference in a domestic election and now they're staring down their own petard and trying to jabber out an explanation of why they shouldn't be hoist on it.
(11-23-2019, 02:50 PM)rexbanner Wrote: But if it's Warren, Sanders, or Buttiegieg, the Russian-Republican machine will get to work immediately. It'll be Warren's Native American stuff, Sanders's health, and they'll smear Buttigieg on his sexuality - nevermind how Trump's incapable of telling the truth, is unhealthy as fuck and in advancing stages of dementia, and is a warped sexual predator.

This makes me wonder if Russia has a new plan, because their old one is going to be more difficult this time around. Twitter isn't accepting political ads and is at least acting like they intend to better police fake news/accounts this time around, while Facebook has been largely abandoned as a news source by everyone except people who are already Republicans. Plus, there's going to be a lot more 3rd-party watchdog groups scrutinizing suspicious behavior.

Of course, a certain percentage of dumb people will still latch on to any insane thing they read if it lets them feel like the smartest person in the room, but it seems like there's a lot more potential for the blunt-force efforts Russia is specializing in to backfire now.
Gamertag: Tweakee
(11-23-2019, 02:54 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: The secretary of the Navy and the admiral who leads the SEALs have threatened to resign or be fired if plans to expel Edward Gallagher are halted by Trump:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/23/us/po...-ios-share

Military leaders lobbied Trump aboard Air Force One to stop intervening in Gallagher's case, so the Secretary of the Navy won't quit:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/mi...y-n1089661

Quote:Military leaders hoping to keep the Secretary of the Navy from quitting lobbied President Donald Trump aboard Air Force One to stop intervening in the case of a Navy SEAL accused of murder, say five current and one former military and defense officials.

On Thursday Trump waded once again into the case of Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher, a Navy SEAL accused of murdering a wounded ISIS militant in Iraq in 2017. Gallagher was acquitted by a military court but found guilty of posing with the dead prisoner's body.

Trump, who had previously restored Gallagher’s rank, denounced a new Navy administrative probe into whether Gallagher should remain in the elite SEAL corps. “The Navy will NOT be taking away Warfighter and Navy Seal Eddie Gallagher's Trident Pin. This case was handled very badly from the beginning. Get back to business!” the president tweeted.

The SEAL Trident pin or Special Warfare Insignia is a symbol of membership in the SEALs.

Navy Secretary Richard Spencer responded Thursday by telling the White House that a tweet is not an official order and if the president is ordering the Navy to end the Trident Review Board of Gallagher, he needs to do so in writing, according to five current and two former military officials.

The officials say he also explained to the White House that the Navy needs direction on whether the president also wants to suspend the review board for three other SEALS also scheduled to undergo the assessment.

Four officials familiar with Spencer’s thinking say he is strongly considering resigning and will do so if Trump signs a written order to end the Navy probe. He conveyed those feelings to Pentagon leaders on Thursday.

“He is deeply, deeply upset by this and believes it undercuts his authority,” one former Navy official said, adding that it also undercuts Rear Adm. Collin Green, commander of the Navy’s Special Warfare Command, who ordered the review and is trying to maintain good order and discipline in the SEAL community.
There are few better examples of Trump's self-defeating 'ethos' than these pardons for war-crime committing soldiers. Ok, the death-worshipping base loves him for saving the real 'Murican who was just killing brown people, but the rest of the troops are now less trusted by the citizens where they're operating, and the brass and their rules - who *need* to be able to maintain discipline for any kind of mission, short or long term, to work - are fatally undermined.
https://mobile.twitter.com/joshtpm/statu...4930371585

Hoo boy.
The only thing that gives me the slightest hope the GOP isn't going to take Rudy's narrative and run with it all the way to victory in 2020 is that he's been peddling it for a couple weeks now and yet the GOP "defenders" in the hearings avoided it like the plague.  Which lends the belief that it's so extra bullshitty that even Nunes and Jordan aren't hopping on that train.

Then again, people are stupid and nothing matters so it may work anyway
(11-23-2019, 01:31 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Andriy Kobolyev, the CEO of Ukraine's state gas company, Naftogaz, is ready to give evidence in the federal investigation that's reportedly probing the business dealings of Rudy Giuliani:

https://time.com/5737518/ukraine-naftoga...testimony/

This seems like it should be HUGE news and a very big fucking deal.

And since I know about it, I'm wondering why Congressional Democrats don't and why they wouldn't subpoena his ass in a heartbeat.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
A bit of somewhat random speculation about DJT's mental/physical health -dementia- but it's worth considering...

Quote:https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/11982...41921.html

1 Trump’s train wreck already occurred. Every day we are witnessing his burning wreckage. He’s at the point where dementia really starts to take over. It’s dominating his schedule & activities. Yelling semi-incoherently is about all he has left. Expect more emergency “physicals”

2 Walter Reed theories abound- heart, stroke, fall. What was he was carrying? Why the rush to go by vehicle. Did he really come back to the WH that afternoon? Too many variables to be sure but his Texas trip w/ Ivanka & the Doc & the short AF1 stairs are signs something happened.

3 My WR guess:
-Med event required further tests
-He's pushed to go
-He had been blowing off his brain MRI
-MRI was done of his brain

Fact-sequential MRIs are done over time to diagnose & measure to the progress of brain atrophy of the PSP version of FTD that I suspect Trump has

[cont]
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Brain atrophy should be trending.
I'm pretty sure we have the title of the book/film about these 4 years.
Giuliani, about 24 hours ago:

The word "literally" has been stripped of meaning through comedic overuse in recent years, but here Giuliani is literally trying to redirect the narrative about having dirt on Trump by asserting that what he really has is four decades' worth of dirt on Biden, as an insurance policy against Biden possibly ordering Giuliani's murder.

I used to meet homeless people like this when I lived in Marathon, Florida in my twenties, and I meet them now that I'm living in the Keys again.  Charities and church groups up north sometimes send people like this down here. When real mental health care is unaffordable, a one way bus ticket south could at least keep them from freezing to death outside in the winter.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
https://mobile.twitter.com/Zeddary/statu...6343000065

(11-22-2019, 11:51 PM)Adam_72 Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 12:16 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Time to update the old movie pick list:

Stephen Tobolowsky as Gordon Sondland
John Hodgman as Lt Col. Alexander Vindman

Geordie background would make Riseborough the obvious choice for Dr Fiona Hill, but she's a bit too young for the part. Instead replace with Gina McKee- Same age, also from County Durham, can do ice cool badass in her sleep

Charlotte Riley would absolutely kick massive ass in the role of Fiona Hill — she not only very much resembles her (especially if she were to use a bare minimum of makeup), but also has the working-class Northern accent, and Dr. Hill instantly reminded me of Riley the moment I saw her speak for the first time during the hearings last week.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

So, there are tapes:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/house-in...d=67276448

Quote:The House Intelligence Committee is in possession of audio and video recordings and photographs provided to the committee by Lev Parnas, an associate of President Donald Trump’s personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, who reportedly played a key role in assisting him in his efforts to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and Ukraine, multiple sources familiar with the matter tell ABC News. 

The material submitted to the committee includes audio, video and photos that include Giuliani and Trump. It was unclear what the content depicts and the committees only began accessing the material last week.

"We have subpoenaed Mr. Parnas and Mr. [Igor] Fruman for their records. We would like them to fully comply with those subpoenas," House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff told CNN Sunday, with a committee spokesperson adding they would not elaborate beyond the chairman's comments. 

An attorney for Parnas, Joseph A. Bondy, also declined to comment, directing ABC News to a statement released earlier in the day Sunday reading in part, "Mr. Parnas has vociferously and publicly asserted his wish to comply with his previously issued subpoena and to provide the House Intelligence Committee with truthful and important information that is in furtherance of justice, not to obstruct it." 

The statement goes on to say, "His evidence and potential testimony is non-partisan, and not intended to be part of a battle between the left and the right, but rather an aid in the determination by our government of what is in the best interests of our nation."

Sources tell ABC News the tapes were provided as part of that congressional subpoena issued to Parnas, and the former Giuliani ally also provided a number of documents both in English and Ukrainian to the committee in two separate productions, sources told ABC News. 

However, some of the material sought by congressional investigators is already in possession of federal investigators within the Southern District of New York and thus held up from being turned over, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Parnas' associate, Fruman, has not cooperated with the committee. 
Secretary of the Navy Spencer has resigned/been fired by Defense Secretary Esper.

His resignation letter directly cites disagreement with Trump over the 'key principle of good order and discipline.'

[Image: EKLGysDWoAEwLdS?format=jpg&name=large]
*Not that Richard Spencer
I'm torn on whether a mass resignation of Flag Officers and Defense officials would be enough to wake certain segments up or if it would simply clear the deck for Trump to fill the ranks with loyalists just in time for crossing the final "Yes, we are actually a full authoritarian nation now" hurdle.
Here's a really detailed past and modern history of the American relationship with immigrants. Spoiler: The Pumpkins era has a lot of competition at the bottom of the humanity rankings.

https://www.huffpost.com/highline/articl...ible-wall/

Quote:People like to recall that George Washington wanted America to “be an Asylum to the persecuted of the earth.” Less often praised: Ben Franklin’s contention that immigrants are “the most ignorant Stupid Sort of their own Nation.” Americans have been having some version of this argument ever since.

An early warning was the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, the first-ever prohibition of all people of a specific race.

As the country slid into a long depression, the new immigrants became the source and the target of a tinderbox anxiety. There were lynchings of Italians in New Orleans; attacks on Jewish farmers by Mississippi nightriders; a riot against Russian Jewish factory workers in New Jersey.

Warren Harding was elected president on an “America First” platform

The State Department, which ran the consulates, was notoriously anti-Semitic: In 1921, the chief of the Consular Service supplied a report to Congress describing Jewish people as “filthy, un-American, and often dangerous in their habits.” By the 1930s, as Hitler launched his assault on the Jews of Europe, the new visa system was perfectly calibrated not to help the growing ranks of refugees, but to keep them out.

The article then goes into precisely how known racists Jeff Sessions and his pupil Stephen Miller have been enacting their shared dream of an America with closed borders.

Warning: Not a fun read.
I think what I takeaway mostly from this is that we've always been, for the most part, an anti-immigrant nation. People who foolishly think Trump and his Admin is the first to target immigrants and try to prevent them from settling here need only to do a little historical research into past presidencies and Congressional legislation.
(11-24-2019, 08:04 PM)bradito Wrote: *Not that Richard Spencer

That was a weird confusing couple of seconds.
That Richard Spencer's resignation letter would be written somewhat differently.
More all caps and stuff about OCTOROON MOTHERFUCKERS MY ANCESTORS USED TO OWN and so forth.
Other Spencer would probably be demanding that statues be erected to honour Gallagher's heroism
Ukrainian oligarch Dmytro Firtash gave an interview to The New York Times. He says Giuliani, via Parnas and Fruman, offered him help with his US legal problems if he hired pro-Trump lawyers Toensing and diGenova and helped with Giuliani's shadow Ukraine campaign:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/25/us/gi...archs.html
This is the GOP/DJT as it exists now...

Quote:Escalation of commitment

Escalation of commitment is a human behavior pattern in which an individual or group facing increasingly negative outcomes from a decision, action, or investment nevertheless continues the behavior instead of altering course. The actor maintains behaviors that are irrational, but align with previous decisions and actions.

I don't see any change to this thought pattern as possible in the near term.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Noted plagiarist Benny Johnson thinks federal employees are Trump's employees.  Also, he, uh, wants employees who don't support Trump hunted down:

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/...9906859008

Quote:RT if you support President Trump firing *every* employee in the federal government, military & intel community who is openly working to undermine their Commander-in-Chief

Hunt them down & clear them out

3 years of “resistance” to @realDonaldTrump from *his employees* is ENOUGH
(11-25-2019, 12:20 PM)vtran Wrote: This is the GOP/DJT as it exists now...

Quote:Escalation of commitment

Escalation of commitment is a human behavior pattern in which an individual or group facing increasingly negative outcomes from a decision, action, or investment nevertheless continues the behavior instead of altering course. The actor maintains behaviors that are irrational, but align with previous decisions and actions.

I don't see any change to this thought pattern as possible in the near term.

This is why I haven't left L.A.
No "phase two" U.S.-China deal on the horizon:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-t...me=topNews

Quote:An ambitious “phase two” trade deal between the United States and China is looking less likely as the two countries struggle to strike a preliminary “phase one” agreement, according to U.S. and Beijing officials, lawmakers and trade experts. 

In October, U.S. President Donald Trump said during a press conference with Chinese vice premier Liu He that he expected to quickly dive into a second phase of talks once “phase one” had been completed. The second phase would focus on a key U.S. complaint that China effectively steals U.S. intellectual property by forcing U.S. companies to transfer their technology to Chinese rivals, he said at the time. 

But the November 2020 U.S. presidential election, the difficulties in getting the first-stage done, combined with the White House’s reluctance to work with other countries to pressure Beijing are dimming hopes for anything more ambitious in the near future, the sources said. 

The 16-month trade war with China has thrown U.S. businesses and farmers into turmoil, disrupted global supply chains and been a drag on economies worldwide. Failure to address a key reason it was started is already raising questions about whether the sacrifice has been worth it. Meanwhile, many of Beijing’s trade practices that many free-market economies see as unfair remain unaddressed. 
Don McGahn has to testify before Congress, a federal judge ruled just moments ago:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/leg...story.html
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

That should open the door for John Bolton to testify as well.
^ And if Bolton suddenly backpedals on his previous promises to appear under compulsion from a judicial ruling, it's very likely that Chief Justice Roberts will force his testimony during the U.S. Senate trial instead. So he might as well get it over with now.

Things are heating up for Rudy:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/just-in-su...ting-work/

Quote:There’s been reporting in the past few weeks indicating Rudy Giuliani is under investigation with respect to his work in Ukraine, following the arrest of and charges against his associates Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman.

Now the Wall Street Journal has some stunning reporting that subpoenas have been “issued to people with ties” to Giuliani and those two men:

The subpoenas offer the clearest indication yet that federal prosecutors are examining Mr. Giuliani’s consulting work. Among the entities named in the subpoenas are Giuliani Partners, a security-consulting firm founded by Mr. Giuliani in 2002 that had multiple foreign clients, including a city in Ukraine. The subpoenas also sought information on a company co-founded by Mr. Parnas that paid Mr. Giuliani for business and legal advice.

The company in question is one that might be familiar to you if you’ve been following this saga closely: Fraud Guarantee.

Two of the people subpoenaed were apparently asked by Parnas to invest in the company “or to help fund a promised $500,000 payment to Mr. Giuliani, who said he provided business and legal advice to the company."
(11-25-2019, 07:04 PM)leto ii Wrote: Don McGahn has to testify before Congress, a federal judge ruled just moments ago:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/leg...story.html

Fuck yeah.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
...Rudy's 83 different flavors of fucked, basically.

Not a bad way to start the week, on both counts. Particularly if the McGahn thing helps clear the way on the 473,682 other things they've tried to claim executive privilege over thus far.