Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrestling Discussion Thread (WWE, TNA, ECW, WCW, etc.)
That Darby Allin kid gets it, huh?
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
NXT finally beat AEW in the ratings.

Of course, they wheeled out a bunch of main roster folks and promoted it on RAW, so there's that. Love Cody's response:

"Take it on the chin, learn from it, get up off the mat and get to work. Excuses are for assholes."
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
Oh no. Time to step it up A E Dub! Less Britt Baker and more Orange Cassidy.
Git' in under mah belly!
I am to understand that Marty Scurll's contract with ROH is up in a month or so. If he doesn't wind up in AEW sometime in January, I'll be shocked.

ROH is a sinking ship anyway. Joey Mercury is really exposing their shit management as of late, and the bastards just told their womens champion (Klein, who's out with concussion issues suffered on THEIR shows) that they won't be renewing her contract. To think how hot ROH felt a few years ago and sinking to this shit? It's a sad day when Impact has its shit together and ROH is a mickey mouse operation.

Anyway... I got to see Orange Cassidy work last night with John Silver. Fun freakin' match! Awesome that Josh Briggs still makes almost all the Beyond shows even though he's the Evolve champion now, and likely being eyeballed by the "big leagues". That dude is one of the few "hoss" wrestlers I dig these days. He reminds me of Chris Hero, kinda.
-The Tick
My son, of all people, told me about the Kelly Klein thing. We'll be at the January ROH show in Atlanta. Hopefully it will still be a decent show and not a hodge podge of garbage. But yeah, I thought ROH was trending up and the past 8-12 months or so has been then trending definitely down, especially with the rise of AEW, NXT, NWA, and resurgence of TNA/Impact/whatever it's called now.
(11-21-2019, 05:21 PM)the nz natural Wrote: That Darby Allin kid gets it, huh?

He really could be one of those performers that grabs a hold of the zeitgeist.  Saw lots of fans in Indy with his face paint.  If AEW had a secondary singles title Darby would be perfect for it.

He's one of the reasons that I so desperately want AEW to do a show in the PNW. The crowd's reaction to the hometown hero would be explosive.
There was an attractive blonde woman with glasses in the front row with half her face painted like a skull. Darby can definitely get it.
Git' in under mah belly!
ROH bullshit made Newsweek.

ROH's "defense" is "Sure we have a concussion policy", and then doesn't produce one.  Talent remains unaware of it, or how it works if said policy actually exists somewhere.  You'd think when the mainstream press comes asking about it, that's when they'd want to prove they have a policy in place and doctors on staff.

Those claiming no doctors were available except for states where it's law, and venues that had in-house medical staff all look to be legit claims.  ROH's only argument is "We have doctors", and still, produces no evidence whatsoever that they do.

Damn.
-The Tick
I know it's almost redundant to say at this stage, but good luck following that, main roster. Especially with a card full of 3-ways where it's hard to get ANYONE over decently.
That women's War Games was white hot from start to finish.
Didn't see Takeover (a first for me!), but I did see clips of KO showing up. Holy shit, that pop!

I may dip in and out of SS tonight out of sheer curiosity. It kind of boggles my mind that WALTER, Matt Riddle and Keith Lee are going to be in a high profile match at one of WWE's "big 4" PPVs. I'm sure they'll be eating RKO's half the night, but still...

Corey Graves apparently bullied Mauro on Twitter, despite knowing the dude is bipolar and has already been triggered by JBL in the past. As a result, Mauro deleted his Twitter and no-showed Survivor Series.

Good going Graves, you low-rent CM Punk.
-The Tick
Glad to hear Rod Strong win. Is he still going by "Messiah of the Backbreaker"? I always loved that moniker.
Are all Wyatt's matches under that fugly red light? Ugh.
-The Tick
I've never liked Graves. I first saw him as announcer--I had no idea he actually wrestled until concussions forced him to retire. Maybe he's so brain dead because of the shots to the head.
(11-24-2019, 09:43 PM)Anjin Wrote: Are all Wyatt's matches under that fugly red light? Ugh.

Shouldnt the light be blue now that he's on Smackdown?
Graves and Rollins are just doing everything they can to bury themselves as the most self-righteous cunts in the history of the business. With all of Rollins' bitching, there's no doubt Becky really is The Man in that relationship.
Graves seemed ok back when the only alternative was Cole. He's grown insufferable in recent years.

I'm surprised how good Tony has been on Dynamite. He was so mentally checked out towards the end of WCW that it was easy to forget he used to be very good at his job.
-The Tick
(11-24-2019, 10:40 PM)Anjin Wrote: Graves seemed ok back when the only alternative was Cole.  He's grown insufferable in recent years.

I was a big supporter of the guy when he first transitioned to commentary.  He was actually pretty good and I really liked the fact that he was being looked after and found a way to carry on being involved in something he loved after having his in-ring career cut short.
Lately, though . . . yeah, it's gotten hard to get behind the guy.
Toward the end of the WCW days, I used to laugh my ass off at how ambivalent Schiavone was on the mike. You could really tell that was the last place he wanted to be at that moment.

Corey Graves in the beginning was definitely stepping back and letting people do their thing and would drop in here and there, and then he started playing the heel announcer and now I can't tell if he's trying to push the heel announcer thing further or if he's really that much of a dick.
(11-25-2019, 02:44 PM)martianman Wrote: . . . now I can't tell if he's trying to push the heel announcer thing further or if he's really that much of a dick.

"You went Full Rollins.  Never go Full Rollins."
I had a good time at TakeOver. For years, I thought seeing a WarGames match live was a pipedream. Now, I can say I saw two in the same night!

Holy sideways picture Iron Maiden Man!
Git' in under mah belly!
Woops! I have no idea how that happened.

EDIT: Okay, I figured it out!
Oooooh, you were on Io's moonsault side.
Yup!

And it was awesome.
You better believe I ordered some bottles of The Bubbly.
(11-27-2019, 11:14 PM)JMurdoch Wrote: You better believe I ordered some bottles of The Bubbly.

Multiple bottles?!  My God, man!  Don't you know you're only supposed to have a little bit?!
Bah. I'd prefer a little bit of the 40.

Um, it's good to see Virgil/Vincent back on primetime TNT? Guess he won't be Sad Vergil for at least a few days.
Git' in under mah belly!
I dig the new IC title belt. Very slick looking.

The new Fiend inspired Universal Championship is an abomination.
As it should be.
Git' in under mah belly!
I very much enjoyed AEW Dark last night. Nyla Rose was a little shaky in the start on the announcing mike, but she seemed to get her footing as the show went on. And lord help me, Marko Stunt is growing on me. I started watching Sammy Guevara's YouTube vlog (which is similar to BTE), and apparently he and Marko are travelling buddies.
Is Marko REALLY that horrible to people? Is Jim Cornette's opinion suddenly gospel?
I think his character is fun. I thought he was like 14 the first time I saw him. He's like a Rey Misterio Jr--he'll never be a huge guy, but he works with what he does. I think the bottom line with Cornette is that he hates fun.

Watched another AEW YouTube video where they took a "superfan" and not only surprised him with an all-access pass to the show, but they also let him sit in on calling a match with Lucha Bros (who are his favorite). It was pretty cool.
Hah, I remember seeing Marko for the first time at a Beyond Show and I thought one of the teenagers had gotten drunk and stripped down to charge the ring. It wasn't until the fans started chanting for him that I realized the guy was a grown-ass adult.

Then I got to see what happens when you put him in the ring against the bigger dudes (and ladies) and I "got it". The guy can be tossed around like a rag doll, and it makes for some great, funny and scary visuals. I saw Jordynne Grace throwing him all over the place like an errant pinball - it was quite the sight to see!

Someday AEW is going to get a good big wrestler like a Vader/Sid kind of guy - a monster heel - and they'll have the PERFECT guy to help get him over as a monster.
-The Tick
In those Guevara videos, apparently there is a running bit where Marko steals the camera from Sammy in different ways and films his own vlog until Sammy eventually gets the camera back. I don't know why, but it makes me laugh and laugh every time he does it.

Didn't get to see much of AEW live last night, but I did see Cody's promo which was fun. I'm waiting to see how high the stakes get for him to wrestle MJF. I'm expecting a "career on the line" match or something to that effect to come out of it.
Sounds like Sin Cara and Luke Harper will be leaving WWE.

Edit: The Ascension are gone also. I forgot they were still around.