Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick and Morty
The animation alone, arguably the best on television right now, can't be cheap either.

(03-19-2018, 03:14 PM)jacob singer Wrote: The animation alone, arguably the best on television right now, can't be cheap either.

Right.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
hahahah I watched all 10 minutes of that yesterday

fun!
(03-19-2018, 12:51 PM)fatherdude Wrote: That said, I don't see the show being cancelled. For the duration of its existence, however, I do see it continuing to be on the Fargo/Louie/Curb schedule where a new season gets made only when certain people feel like it.

Also known as the 'Venture Brothers' schedule.
Rick & Morty renewed for multiple seasons (70 episodes):

http://www.ew.com/tv/2018/05/10/rick-and...-season-4/
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

No way they’ll ever run out of steam! Not this crew.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
The fact that this gigantic order will bring the series to almost exactly 100 episodes (101) tells me that Adult Swim is looking ahead at syndication, and is confident enough in the show's success to commit to hitting that threshold.

I'm assuming 70 episodes breaks out to seven seasons. And at the rate the show has been produced thus far, Rick and Morty will be around for at least another decade.
Sounds like the Venture Brothers model, with seasons spaced out every 3-4 years. Frustrating, but if they maintain quality, a good move.
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
I wouldn't be surprised if it's slightly more frequent than every three years. One of the big holdups up until now has been how long it's taken Cartoon Network to renew the series each time. With a 70-episode pickup, they should be able to start work on the next season more or less immediately after they've completed work on the previous season.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

I'm not entirely sure I want another 70 episodes of RnM.

2 more seasons would have done me. Can only see it disappearing up its own arse with 70 episodes.. Happy to be proved wrong though.
(05-11-2018, 08:32 PM)Andy Bain II Wrote: I'm not entirely sure I want another 70 episodes of RnM.

2 more seasons would have done me.  Can only see it disappearing up its own arse with 70 episodes.. Happy to be proved wrong though.

This. When I heard there was a delay in renewal, I thought we would get one more season to kind of wrap things up as best they could or the creators were planning to just move on, high ratings be damned. And that would have been fine with me. I like the show but I am not sure I can survive its nihilistic humor for 70 more episodes. We get it Rick. You are depressed and think life has no meaning.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
Rick And Morty win Emmy for Outstanding Animated Program.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson

I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Only five episodes? Aw..
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
10 total...they're splitting it into 5 now, 5 later (early 2020?)
Very solid opener. It's a testament to how crazy the show can get that it felt sort of safe, but I'm not complaining. Nice to see the status quo reset. The many fascist realities killed me.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
"GODDAMMIT, WHEN DID THIS SHIT BECOME THE DEFAULT???"

I rarely get my expectations met. This episode blew my already-sky-high expectations right out of the water. Such a step up from Season 3, which was already extraordinary. Right away, in the first four minutes, this show reminds me why I love it, exploring a rare SF-concept in a way that hasn't been seen before. As in, Rick dying.

Morty committing mass murder by following the crystal, and then getting exonerated both in the legal system and in the court of public opinion by following the crystal, was just a brilliant sequence of events. And then the punchline in the post-credits scene of what the death Morty was seeing actually meant.

Loved police-officers calling the standoff "[an] Akira-type situation." And then the show totally Sweet Dee'd Summer at the very end.

The first episode was phenomenal, about to dive in to the 2nd.

Jerry's "Akira" also had me doubled over. AHNIME.
How is this thread not flowing over?

The level of writing is still awesome - the way in which they play with their worldbuilding setups/ rules and Rick's idiosyncrasies (his "special place" in ep. 2) is elegant but insane at the same time.

Episode 3's endless heist montages in the middle were great.
Yeah. I'll get to Rick and Morty eventually. I think all the hubbub surrounding season three kind of drained me. And honestly? I think the ending of season 3 was kind of enough for me.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

It’s real good, though.

I mean, I get feeling over it, as how could you see a video like this and not want to distance yourself?

But the show remains really funny, and very smart. This last one was pretty much the defining satire of Heist films.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
It's funny. I enjoy it. A lot of the fanbase is kind of toxic, but welcome to 2019 - it's hardly alone in that area.

What prevents the show from all-time greatness for me is Rick as a protagonist. I spend enough time with a narcissistic, self-hating asshole every day when I look in the mirror. It's tiring to follow a character like that in my entertainment too.
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
(11-25-2019, 07:31 PM)Anjin Wrote: It's funny. I enjoy it. A lot of the fanbase is kind of toxic, but welcome to 2019 - it's hardly alone in that area.

What prevents the show from all-time greatness for me is Rick as a protagonist. I spend enough time with a narcissistic, self-hating asshole every day when I look in the mirror. It's tiring to follow a character like that in my entertainment too.

Sure. but the show "knows" he's toxic.  That's what made that season 3 finale so great: They all reject Rick's  nihilism, and for once in the show, Rick just shut's the fuck up.
"Why did she do it?"

(11-28-2019, 05:38 PM)ska oreo Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 07:31 PM)Anjin Wrote: It's funny. I enjoy it. A lot of the fanbase is kind of toxic, but welcome to 2019 - it's hardly alone in that area.

Sure. but the show "knows" he's toxic.  That's what made that season 3 finale so great: They all reject Rick's  nihilism, and for once in the show, Rick just shut's the fuck up.

See also: Fascist Morty screaming about ‘classic adventures’ in the premiere.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
this is why I roll my eyes whenever someone goes “POPULAR LEGACY IP... but as a heist film???”
(11-28-2019, 10:49 PM)superlaser Wrote:
(11-28-2019, 05:38 PM)ska oreo Wrote:

See also: Fascist Morty screaming about ‘classic adventures’ in the premiere.

Yeah, I got that.

I actually like that Season 4 has a much lighter tone.  It helps that everyone is willing to stand up to Rick, and Rick just doesn't trample on everyone with his shittiness.
"Why did she do it?"

While I still really enjoy the boundless creativity of the series, Rick's glibness, especially in the past two episodes, is beginning to wear thin (his Showtime line in the latest episode: woof). The first episode of the season worked the best because it gave Rick a serious challenge to overcome and made Morty the villain.
Maybe it's just my hot take, but this episode jumped the dragon. Pretty hard.
Lots of people seemed to dislike it, but I thought it was hilarious how they ditched subtlety and made the subtext super-text halfway through, and I found it a bit refreshing for Rick not be in control and fifteen steps ahead of everything for a stretch.
(12-09-2019, 05:54 PM)schwartz Wrote: Lots of people seemed to dislike it, but I thought it was hilarious how they ditched subtlety and made the subtext super-text halfway through, and I found it a bit refreshing for Rick not be in control and fifteen steps ahead of everything for a stretch.

Parts of it were funny, but the Rick not being in control thing would be tied to some theme or aspect of his personality in a better episode. Like the toilet one.
I don't necessarily need Rick's control issues to be the thematic focal point of the episode, though. I just thought it gave the shenanigans a slightly different energy that I enjoyed for a brief stretch.
(12-09-2019, 07:03 PM)schwartz Wrote: I don't necessarily need Rick's control issues to be the thematic focal point of the episode, though.  I just thought it gave the shenanigans a slightly different energy that I enjoyed for a brief stretch.

Totally fine point of view. 
But my point was that it can be connected to a bigger theme elegantly and this show is usually able to do that. Isn't it about how Rick and Morty relate to the world? Or each other? I think Summer had more character development than these two by getting arbitrary amazon archery powers. It just felt off. Unless the arbitrary nature of everything unfolding was the point of Rick, who hates fantasy shit. If that was the point, ok, kudos.
But then you have the problem of doing this twice in a row with the heist stuff and now fantasy.
Am I mistaken, or were there a whole lot of C.H.U.D.s in this episode?
Uh...this episode was awesome?

"These are the Slut Caves, where we Slut Dragons fuck, suck, and eat shit." could have come from the pen of Terry Pratchett himself.
I laughed quite a bit on this one.

‘The Shadow Jacker has emerged from the Masturbation Caves!’
Brigadier Cousins on PSN