Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
KNIVES OUT Post-Release Discussion
(12-01-2019, 10:49 AM)Mangy Wrote: I thought this was a fun murder mystery, and people saying it "subverts" "tropes" haven't seen a lot of murder mysteries. It's rock-solid entertainment, and THAT'S OKAY. "This movie would have been better if it had turned its genre on its head" is an odd criticism.

I spent most of the drive home saying "Theh's a smalluh donut INSIDE the donut" in a Foghorn Leghorn voice. Good movie.

I'm certainly not knocking it for not being SUBVERSIVE enough.  But the parts where it was aping old-school murder mystery were the parts I liked least.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Well subversion is in the DNA of old school murder mystery. Agatha Christie did some remarkably inventive stuff.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(12-01-2019, 11:25 AM)Evi Wrote: Well subversion is in the DNA of old school murder mystery. Agatha Christie did some remarkably inventive stuff.

Right.  Which is kind of my problem with the film: It's pretty obvious who did what.

I think the movie gets far more interesting when it just reveals what happened and goes from there.
"Why did she do it?"

can’t argue if someone just found the truth of the murder predictable, but I just let myself get wrapped up in Marta’s predicament and didn’t really wonder that hard about who the actual killer might be

so the movie played me quite well in that way

probably helped that I’m not someone who read or watched a lot of murder mysteries in general
(12-01-2019, 06:24 AM)Evi Wrote: I liked Noah Segan's turn as the crime novel fanboy a lot.

Good to see him still using Segan.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
He’s made sure to cast segan in every movie so far, right?

I think he had a quick role as a resistance pilot in last jedi

waaaaaaaalt! Did I tell you that I met both of them (as well as Karina Longworth)in a costume shop in Austin back in September??

Random encounter!
(12-01-2019, 12:13 PM)Nooj Wrote: can’t argue if someone just found the truth of the murder predictable, but I just let myself get wrapped up in Marta’s predicament and didn’t really wonder that hard about who the actual killer might be

so the movie played me quite well in that way

probably helped that I’m not someone who read or watched a lot of murder mysteries in general

Well...I watched a lot of Law & Order when I was a kid, so you kinda figure out the tells of who the likely suspect is.  I guess I just automatically start thinking about what the most obvious answer would be, then try to figure out what the not so obvious answer would be and go from there.
"Why did she do it?"

(12-01-2019, 11:44 AM)ska oreo Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 11:25 AM)Evi Wrote: Well subversion is in the DNA of old school murder mystery. Agatha Christie did some remarkably inventive stuff.

Right.  Which is kind of my problem with the film: It's pretty obvious who did what.

I think the movie gets far more interesting when it just reveals what happened and goes from there.

The movie itself basically agrees with you with Blanc’s speech about the arc of the mystery always resolving itself and the real test being what to do after that.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
(12-01-2019, 01:06 PM)Nooj Wrote: He’s made sure to cast segan in every movie so far, right?

waaaaaaaalt!  Did I tell you that I met both of them (as well as Karina Longworth)in a costume shop in Austin back in September??

Random encounter!

Yeah, Segan has actual roles in this, Brick, and Looper, and then just pops up for a second in Brothers Bloom and TLJ.
(12-01-2019, 01:06 PM)Nooj Wrote: He’s made sure to cast segan in every movie so far, right?

waaaaaaaalt! Did I tell you that I met both of them (as well as Karina Longworth)in a costume shop in Austin back in September??

Random encounter!

Yes every movie including TLJ.

You saw them both? Johnson and Segan.........AND American film critic, author, and journalist based in Los Angeles who writes, hosts and produces the podcast You Must Remember This, about the “secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood’s first century KARINA LONGWORTH?

COOL!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
that'sssssss herrrrrr

join us, won't you?
But seriously was Johnson cool? Did he tell you about Brick 2?
Johnson was very kind and happily agreed to take a photo with me.

I was too shy to ask (because I don't like bugging someone who's just going about their day), but my friend (who was high enough at the time to not have heard me tell him who he was) went up to him and asked for me.

Very gracious.

I thanked him for last jedi and wished him a great screening for knives out that night (it was showing at fantastic fest that night)
Oh shit. Segan was totally the punk that gets shot in the face in Brick.

I knew I recognized him from somewhere!
"Why did she do it?"

Totally loved this. Perfect home run for Rian, whom I've probably said some bad things about in the past. I didn't want to sit there and try and outthink the plot, I just wanted to let the story wash over me and see where it led. So I totally fell for the setup, after all we see poor Harlan kill himself, and I was totally convinced by Marta's terrified and heartbroken performance in that scene that she must have lost or misplaced the antidote - after all she had seemed to become more like a member of the family and less like a professional nurse. Completely bought good-guy-with-an-edge Chris Evans's Ransom trying to help Marta, for his cut of the inheritance of course. I must say for a moment I was disappointed when Marta takes off with Ransom after the will reading because it felt like we were moving away from the wonderful whodunnit/howdunnit movie and into a different caper, but the film comes back around, and the big finale with Daniel Craig was amazing! Loved the cop shushing the other one as the Denouement starts.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.

Yeah, he's even in a Breaking Bad episode he did.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(12-01-2019, 05:11 PM)Nooj Wrote: Johnson was very kind and happily agreed to take a photo with me.

I was too shy to ask (because I don't like bugging someone who's just going about their day), but my friend (who was high enough at the time to not have heard me tell him who he was) went up to him and asked for me.

Very gracious.

I thanked him for last jedi and wished him a great screening for knives out that night (it was showing at fantastic fest that night)

Very cool.
(12-02-2019, 01:46 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 05:11 PM)Nooj Wrote: Johnson was very kind and happily agreed to take a photo with me.

Very gracious.  

Very cool.

Now that I’ve seen this, I can say it’s objectively the second wurst movie ever made, just behind The Last Jedi, objectively.

Johnson you haaaaaaaccckkkkkk
(12-02-2019, 03:05 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Now that I’ve seen this, I can say it’s objectively the second wurst movie ever made, just behind The Last Jedi, objectively.

Johnson you haaaaaaaccckkkkkk

You're so predictable.

Pahhhhhhhleaaaaaaaaaaze.
I’m just looking down on you Freeman as I sip my cup of coffee.
Which one am I tho?

Let's not kid ourselves. I'm Ransom.
What an asshole!

But nice sweater tho.
My fallback career is either log splitter or J Crew model.
"Hamilton. Saw it at the Public."

This is such a specific and brilliant joke that I felt so very personally attacked by it.

signed, a person who saw hamilton at the public.
home taping is killing music
While I thought it was funny, that's one of a number of things that I think are ultimately not going to help the movie age all that well. There's a distinction between being "of its time," as many classic murder mysteries surely are, and "trapped in its time."

I think KNIVES OUT is more the latter than the former.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
The Hamilton joke works because even if you don't understand the reference in fifty years time - which I think almost entirely depends on your take on how well you think Hamilton will age, i.e., whether it'll be RENT or SOUTH PACIFIC - you understand that the character is saying something that makes him sound like he's supportive of immigrants, at least on the surface. When the text has already indicated that that isn't the case. It's like how old Looney Tunes cartoons have pop culture references or political jokes that work even if you don't understand the reference.

Also, not for nothing, but those Agatha Christie and Nero Wolfe mysteries are filled with those kinds of things. They age fine.
home taping is killing music
I think the movie will age fine.
(12-04-2019, 12:15 AM)boone daniels Wrote: The Hamilton joke works because even if you don't understand the reference in fifty years time - which I think almost entirely depends on your take on how well you think Hamilton will age, i.e., whether it'll be RENT or SOUTH PACIFIC - you understand that the character is saying something that makes him sound like he's supportive of immigrants, at least on the surface. When the text has already indicated that that isn't the case. It's like how old Looney Tunes cartoons have pop culture references or political jokes that work even if you don't understand the reference.

Also, not for nothing, but those Agatha Christie and Nero Wolfe mysteries are filled with those kinds of things. They age fine.

I was careful to note as such.

I don't think the Hamilton joke is the most egregious form of what I was talking about; I used it because you had brought it up.

But we can pick up this discussion in fifty years when we have perspective on how highly-regarded HAMILTON is and if KNIVES OUT has stood the test of time. I'm uncertain!

(12-04-2019, 12:38 AM)Nooj Wrote: I think the movie will age fine.

It's almost as though people who liked the movie more than others are more charitable towards it!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
The Hamilton line is nowhere near as egregious as the Baby Driver line!
Baby Driver is a line that I appreciated because it's clearly a moment from one film nerd to another.
I’ve come to the conclusion that as long as comprehension of the plot/story doesn’t depend on outdated references, the references of their time are totally fine

the same way I was fine with all sorts of references I had no clue about when I enjoyed simpsons episode as a kid

they may date the work in a certain time which I think is fine as long as it’s not obnoxiously all encompassing***, but they won’t ‘date’ the work in a bad way as long as the movie works

it’s almost as if someone who didn’t like the movie as much is less likely to be charitable to its various creative choices

what was a particularly egregious one for you? (if not the Hamilton one)

***it’s like the difference between the myriad of time-specific references throughout SPACED, but the one that was almost entirely a matrix riff is the one that didn’t age well for me because it leaned too hard on one thing... or the difference between Aladdin and Shrek
The whole bit about the teenage online nazi poser thing will hopefully be completely inexplicable in 20 years time.
ALADDIN still works with all of the dated references. This will age just fine.

This has improved in my mind since my viewing. Tempted to see it again, actually.
I think Johnson was trying to add a political undercurrent, but the main thing the references did was remind me it's 2019. I think that's the one aspect of the movie which falters slightly. Otherwise, I liked this a lot, more than expected.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!