Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvel's BLACK WIDOW (2020) Thread
The emphasis on the foursome of ScarJo, Pugh, Weisz, and Harbour all sold me.

Looks fun, but I am, as the kids say, a Florence Pugh stan, so I'm here for this.
home taping is killing music
(12-03-2019, 11:28 AM)farsight Wrote: I really dug Atomic Blonde. I'd probably watch it again over this.

I like it too.  I actually just rewatched it 2 weeks ago and it gets better on repeated viewings.
Yes I just now saw The Little Drummer Girl, she is good. And im just now realizing because im a fucking idiot.......she is the new Black Widow right? Like they aren't setting her up just to be in this movie and kill her off obviously. It's the one move they can pull with a prequel. Establish her there and then slide her into The Avengers.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
For me, Atomic Blonde > Red Sparrow, but I wasn't really enthralled with either.

Red Sparrow definitely does character development better than Atomic Blonde, but the latter was more engaging for me.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Looks like movies we've seen before, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ending a trailer with CGI characters falling through a CGI environment does not impress me at this point, however.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I liked Red Sparrow a lot. Although when brought it up it didn't sound like too many here did, or had even seen it at the time.

Marvel Red Sparrow, big budget La Femme Nikita seems like a fun idea. It also something I thought they should have done either right before or right after the first Avengers movie from 2012. Doesn't have the cool sexy SHIELD tech I want from a Marvel spy movie, but then none of the MCU has had that either so why start being cool now I guess. Makes me wonder if this was something Whedon was developing, since Age of Ultron had all that Black Widow stuff, and he also had his own La Femme Nikita tv show.

Also wondering if the Midsommar girl is going to be introduced as Black Widow 2. Because at least from that trailer it looks like she's being introduced to be the new Black Widow. Surprised they didn't get the girl from that Luc Besson movie Anna...who also happens to actually be Russian
(12-03-2019, 11:40 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: Yes I just now saw The Little Drummer Girl, she is good. And im just now realizing because im a fucking idiot.......she is the new Black Widow right? Like they aren't setting her up just to be in this movie and kill her off obviously. It's the one move they can pull with a prequel. Establish her there and then slide her into The Avengers.

That's what I've heard - that they'll basically explain why she's been absent for the years between this and Endgame, and then slot her back into the ongoing "Earth" ensemble with Black Panther, Bucky, Falcon, Doc Strange, etc. Kind of like how they re-integrated Bucky back into the ensemble. Killing her off would be a really stupid move.

I think Harbour may be in the others, too, but it's clear either he or Weisz are going to do the heel turn and/or bite it.
I was genuinely hoping for a Widow & Gamora escape from Marvel Hell/Afterlife type of flick.
Red Sparrow was solid. Although the marketing for that was kind of funny.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(12-03-2019, 11:44 AM)boone daniels Wrote: I think Harbour may be in the others, too, but it's clear either he or Weisz are going to do the heel turn and/or bite it.

Weisz is a lock for being the ultimate villain of the story.
I'd be fine with Pugh becoming the new Black Widow. She has talent and that 'it' factor that is gonna take her really far.
The marketing for Red Sparrow makes it come off as some kind of PG-13 thing. Which I discovered it wasn't when I put it on over the 4th with the family around.
The leg snapping scene and the skinning torture scene from RED SPARROW...hard to shake those images and sounds.

Joel Edgerton was really good in that movie too.
(12-03-2019, 11:49 AM)simbob Wrote: The marketing for Red Sparrow makes it come off as some kind of PG-13 thing. Which I discovered it wasn't when I put it on over the 4th with the family around.

In the early days of VHS, my mom and grandmother accidently rented Flesh Gordon.
(12-03-2019, 11:52 AM)turingmachine75 Wrote: In the early days of VHS, my mom and grandmother accidently rented Flesh Gordon.

Oops.
(12-03-2019, 11:53 AM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 11:52 AM)turingmachine75 Wrote: In the early days of VHS, my mom and grandmother accidently rented Flesh Gordon.

Oops.

I've never seen it but I recall a very young MichaelM seeing trailers for it on TV and wanting to see it for the stop motion monsters. 

My parents, wisely, did not allow me to see it.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

(12-03-2019, 11:47 AM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 11:44 AM)boone daniels Wrote: I think Harbour may be in the others, too, but it's clear either he or Weisz are going to do the heel turn and/or bite it.

Weisz is a lock for being the ultimate villain of the story.

I always figured they would use Julie Delpy since they cast her in such a small part as one of her instructors in Age of Ultron. I imagine they intended more but she isn't in Black Widow.
Yeah, that was a weird bit of casting for ULTRON, wasn't it?
There were many weird choices made in Ultron that got sent to the cornfield after Marcus/McFeely took over as the brains of the operation.
I really like Delpy so I would have liked to see more of her but....guess not. Thanks MCU!
Fun fact: When this movie comes out, it will feature two Oscar winners, a Tony and Emmy nominee, and two (likely) Oscar nominees.
The first half of the trailer seemed decent, then they started showing the action sequences.

It doesn’t look like anything we haven’t seen before. It looks looks clean, digital, and safe when it should be a little grimier... maybe not R-rated as MichaelM suggested, but grittier. This reminds me of an M:I movie with more CG.

Johansson never won me over in the part because she skews playful. Emily Blunt - who was the first choice many years ago - would’ve carried the femme fatale, “I will kill you whenever and however I want” energy that Natasha brings to the comics.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I will not be sharing the feelings Russian Florence Pugh gives me.
Red Sparrow should have axed the first 30-45 minutes of the movie. We didn't need her origin story and it made the move way too long.

This looks great. I'll trade Pugh for ScarJo any day If they go that route
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
(12-03-2019, 12:28 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: The first half of the trailer seemed decent, then they started showing the action sequences.

It doesn’t look like anything we haven’t seen before. It looks looks clean, digital, and safe when it should be a little grimier... maybe not R-rated as MichaelM suggested, but grittier. This reminds me of an M:I movie with more CG.
I just remembered that I read an interview a few months ago. So I wouldn't expect anything on the grittier side.

EDIT: Found it https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/black-...202163055/

Schaeffer does, however, have alternative hopes for the Marvel movies. “I would like to see alternatives to violence in superhero movies,” she said. “Maybe I would qualify that by saying, alternatives to glamorizing guns and weaponry. That’s one of the reasons that I love ‘Captain Marvel’ — it’s all about inner power. And the destruction is not at the expense of human life.”
(12-03-2019, 01:05 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 12:28 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: The first half of the trailer seemed decent, then they started showing the action sequences.

I just remembered that I read an interview a few months ago. So I wouldn't expect anything on the grittier side.

EDIT: Found it https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/black-...202163055/

Schaeffer does, however, have alternative hopes for the Marvel movies. “I would like to see alternatives to violence in superhero movies,” she said. “Maybe I would qualify that by saying, alternatives to glamorizing guns and weaponry. That’s one of the reasons that I love ‘Captain Marvel’ — it’s all about inner power. And the destruction is not at the expense of human life.”

Except CAPTAIN MARVEL is terrible.

If you want to see alternatives to violence, I would rather cite the bargaining scene in DOCTOR STRANGE.  Sure, there's violence in the scene with Strange dying over and over again, but the focus of the scene is on a battle of wits/intellect.  More movies should end with the bad buy being outsmarted vs being pummeled.
There's a place for both.
(12-03-2019, 01:44 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: There's a place for both.

I just wish that the execution of CAPTAIN MARVEL had been competent.  For me, it's the very worst of the entire MCU and I hate saying that about 'the only Marvel female superhero film.'  She's fine (if overpowered as fuck) in ENDGAME, so it's honestly just the CM film itself that is lacking for me.
Oh boy. Here we go again.
(12-03-2019, 01:59 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I just wish that the execution of CAPTAIN MARVEL had been competent. For me, it's the very worst of the entire MCU and I hate saying that about 'the only Marvel female superhero film.' She's fine (if overpowered as fuck) in ENDGAME, so it's honestly just the CM film itself that is lacking for me.

I mean there's a place for villains being outsmarted and villains being pummeled.

I think the action in CAPTAIN MARVEL is extremely underwhelming.
Captain Marvel was certainly terrible. I actually really liked the trailer for this, seems like a mix of Red Sparrow and Goldeneye. I just hope they keep the cgi action scenes down a bit for this.
(12-03-2019, 02:32 PM)serpico jones Wrote: Captain Marvel was certainly terrible. I actually really liked the trailer for this, seems like a mix of Red Sparrow and Goldeneye. I just hope they keep the cgi action scenes down a bit for this.

It'd really be something if this played out more like THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD.
THE LITTLE RUSSIAN GIRL
RACHEL WIDOW FLORENCE GUY
ZOLA'S PEOPLE
(12-03-2019, 03:02 PM)boone daniels Wrote: ZOLA'S PEOPLE

I'd watch it.
(12-03-2019, 01:59 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I just wish that the execution of CAPTAIN MARVEL had been competent.  For me, it's the very worst of the entire MCU and I hate saying that about 'the only Marvel female superhero film.'  She's fine (if overpowered as fuck) in ENDGAME, so it's honestly just the CM film itself that is lacking for me.

I'd argue that DARK WORLD, INCREDIBLE HULK and IRON MAN 2 are worse, but CAPTAIN MARVEL is easily in the bottom 5 of the MCU.