Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the director of the decade?
(12-02-2019, 09:16 PM)Mangy Wrote: I know First Man has its proponents on here, but I found the lead characters to be maddening ciphers...yes, they were maddening ciphers in real life, but the end result kept me at arm's length, even as I recognized Chazelle's incredible talent. The moon landing is fantastic.

"Keep the Audience at Arms Length, Productions" should be Chazelle's production company name.

(12-02-2019, 09:16 PM)Mangy Wrote: I know First Man has its proponents on here, but I found the lead characters to be maddening ciphers...yes, they were maddening ciphers in real life, but the end result kept me at arm's length, even as I recognized Chazelle's incredible talent. The moon landing is fantastic.

I didn't like First Man at all, mostly because Gosling is in Drive mode throughout the whole thing.
(12-02-2019, 09:19 PM)Overlord Wrote: "Keep the Audience at Arms Length, Productions" should be Chazelle's production company name.

Taste varies, obviously, but I was incredibly emotionally-engaged by both WHIPLASH and LA LA LAND. FIRST MAN is absolutely a much colder experience, certainly.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
One thing about the MCU is that, despite the notion that you do the big studio flick so you can make something you want (one for them, one for you), that doesn’t seem to really happen too much. There are some obvious examples -Favreau making Chef, Waititi making Jojo Rabbit, both films that don’t really exist without their big MCU hits - they’re more the exception that prove the rule.

Did Peyton Reed or Scott Derrickson or James Gunn or Watts or the Russos have any personal films they wanted to make? Cause you think now would be the time. Or maybe it really is the dream job they’d like to portray it is, for everyone but Whedon.

To be fair, this isn’t off the top of my head. I was just hearing this discussed on a podcast.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
This sort of fits here. I was reading a best of list on Bright Wall Dark Room. Someone wrote this about CLOUD ATLAS:

"I believe wholeheartedly that this is the most 2010s movie of the 2010s. It could only exist now, and I sadly believe no other film will come close to its ambition ever again. Messy and imperfect and absurd, and an almost impossible sell to even my friends, so I have no idea how this actually came to exist. The world (the worlds) on screen are so lush and loved, and the movie’s core conceit––that an act of goodness can ripple across time and place––is perhaps the most optimistic outlook on what’s to come in our lives. And, all said and done, Cloud Atlas also has my favorite score of the decade."

For Your Consideration: The Wachowskis

Is one flawed masterwork enough? Especially if it has a finger on the pulse of the times; who we are/ what we're about?

I'm trying to think of a similar example from decades prior, but I really can't.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

James Wan launched one of the few successful cinematic universes with "The Conjuring," managed to complete the billion dollar-grossing "Furious 7" despite losing one of the co-leads in a tragic accident, and helmed the most successful DCEU movie to date with none other than Aquaman being the eponymous protagonist.

He also did that "Insidious" movie which I often confuse with "Sinister."

At any rate, he had mega-hits in three different genres and really grew as a filmmaker in a decade that chewed up a ton of up-and-comers.
That's actually a compelling case. THE CONJURING may still be the best "major studio" horror release of the decade.
(12-02-2019, 11:30 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: ... Favreau making Chef, Waititi making Jojo Rabbit, both films that don’t really exist without their big MCU hits ...

I'm not really following here Arjen, why wouldn't those guys make those indie type small films without their MCU hits? Neither seem even close to that Nolan thing where he made WB mega$$$ and they gave him mega$$$ to make whatever he wanted, which is what the "one for me, one for them" thing always made me think of.

I guess if you'd picked Cowboys and Aliens for Favreau I might have got you, but you didn't dang it, so now I'm lost.
(12-03-2019, 02:05 AM)bradito Wrote: James Wan launched one of the few successful cinematic universes with "The Conjuring," managed to complete the billion dollar-grossing "Furious 7" despite losing one of the co-leads in a tragic accident, and helmed the most successful DCEU movie to date with none other than Aquaman being the eponymous protagonist.

He also did that "Insidious" movie which I often confuse with "Sinister."

At any rate, he had mega-hits in three different genres and really grew as a filmmaker in a decade that chewed up a ton of up-and-comers.

WRT success, I think you make a great case.

WRT quality, I can't get on board. I was deeply underwhelmed by THE CONJURING. F&F 7 was just a mess. A glossy, weightless, impactless mess. And I'm one of the fuddy duddies who thought Aquaman was not good, the final 25 minutes or so excepted.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(12-03-2019, 12:07 AM)Fat Elvis Wrote: This sort of fits here. I was reading a best of list on Bright Wall Dark Room. Someone wrote this about CLOUD ATLAS:

"I believe wholeheartedly that this is the most 2010s movie of the 2010s. It could only exist now, and I sadly believe no other film will come close to its ambition ever again. Messy and imperfect and absurd, and an almost impossible sell to even my friends, so I have no idea how this actually came to exist. The world (the worlds) on screen are so lush and loved, and the movie’s core conceit––that an act of goodness can ripple across time and place––is perhaps the most optimistic outlook on what’s to come in our lives. And, all said and done, Cloud Atlas also has my favorite score of the decade."

For Your Consideration: The Wachowskis

Is one flawed masterwork enough? Especially if it has a finger on the pulse of the times; who we are/ what we're about?

I'm trying to think of a similar example from decades prior, but I really can't.

You'd also have to factor in Jupiter Ascending, which could be a plus or minus depending on who you ask.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
It's a plus, damn it.
The Wachowskis also did Sense8, which other people on here love.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(12-03-2019, 08:31 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I was deeply underwhelmed by THE CONJURING.

[Image: tenor.gif]
I'm really hard to please when it comes to horror movies, keep in mind.

I thought 2018's OVERLORD was easily the best horror film in years. Excellent cast. Real stakes. Real tension. Executed with confidence.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

OVERLORD is good.
Jovan Adepo should be a huge star.

I think GET OUT, HEREDITARY and MIDSOMMAR kick OVERLORD's dick in the dirt, but that's just me.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
I haven't seen HEREDITARY or MIDSOMAR.

I think GET OUT has more depth but OVERLORD was flat out scarier (to me, at least). But I'm not opposed to ranking GET OUT higher.

I'd place both of them, easily, over IT FOLLOWS, THE VVITCH, THE CONJURING, and THE BABADOOK.

THE BABADOOK and IT FOLLOWS are fantastic. HEREDITARY gets a lot points on craft and sheer viciousness, but it has a fair amount of nonsense going on that keeps it from completely resonating with me. MIDSOMMAR also has the craft and performances down, but I had the entire ending pegged from like the second scene, and so spent the entire movie hoping for some sort of crazier twist and felt kind of let down when it never came.
I was lukewarm on MIDSOMMAR initially, but something kicked in for me upon rewatch. I really loved it that second time.

I don't like IT FOLLOWS as much as some, but the way it's scary is truly unique . . . I never would have guessed spinning the camera around over and over could build tension like that.

I recall really liking THE BABADOOK, but my primary memory of it now is that shrieking kid.
(12-03-2019, 12:20 PM)MichaelM Wrote: I'd place both of them, easily, over IT FOLLOWS, THE VVITCH, THE CONJURING, and THE BABADOOK.

You are REALLY not going to like my "Favorite Films of the Decade" list!
You'll probably find mine way too safe and milquetoast! It all balances out.

I'm terms of pure scares those films have nothing on THE CONJURING. It may not be elevaaaated but it is as effective as all hell. Wan plays the audience like a fiddle in a way few directors do.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(12-03-2019, 03:29 PM)Evi Wrote: I'm terms of pure scares those films have nothing on THE CONJURING. It may not be elevaaaated but it is as effective as all hell. Wan plays the audience like a fiddle in a way few directors do.

I'm the outlier then, because THE CONJURING didn't scare me or even get me tense. Maybe it needed to be seen in a theater with a good audience?

For me, OVERLORD and GET OUT were far more tense and scary (though in different ways).

I really like Overlord and I really like Horror, but I thought they barely overlapped. More of a Wolfenstein type action movie.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Body horror freaks me the fuck out and I thought it kind of suffused the film. Plus it was tense as hell for much of the running time.

You're not wrong that it was basically WOLFENSTEIN: THE MOVIE and it definitely was part action film. Worked for me as horror, as well.

GET OUT is scary-ish but mostly fun and OVERLORD I consider to be more of a monster flick. Certainly horror, with some good gore but not scary at all.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
[Image: giphy.gif]

(12-03-2019, 01:02 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: You are REALLY not going to like my "Favorite Films of the Decade" list!
Is there a thread for this yet? I've started putting my list together.
(12-03-2019, 12:02 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: OVERLORD is good.

(12-03-2019, 03:39 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: I really like Overlord ...
[Image: tenor.gif]

(12-03-2019, 04:22 PM)Mangy Wrote: Is there a thread for this yet? I've started putting my list together.

I was going to make one towards the end of the month if nobody had by that point. Not going to post my list until the 1st or 2nd of January.
I held off because Bailey wants to do a best of the decade draft..

I know many don't participate, but it feels right to give our thoughts time to marinate. Most of us won't see everything til 4 or 5 months into next year anyway.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I don't understand how the whole draft thing works, but I don't know that there'd be a ton of conflict between such a thing and a more straightforward discussion thread.
(12-03-2019, 09:04 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I don't understand how the whole draft thing works

I've had it explained to me multiple times and I still can't make heads or tails of it.

I know others swear by it, and I'm sure it's a great time if you've wrapped your head around it!

Just not for me, though.