Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JASON REITMAN'S GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release Thread
Too early for a "No review. I refuse." joke?
(12-09-2019, 12:40 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: I would dispute that characterization, which I think is a false dichotomy - it is without a doubt primarily a comedy, it's just that being a movie that is primarily a comedy does not necessarily have to mean being a threadbare skeleton of a narrative upon which mountains of cheap throwaway "jokes" are festooned on the theory that, if you fling a million pieces of shit at a wall and a thousand of them stick, that's basically the same thing as painting the mural you were hired to do, which is how a fairly appalling number of modern "comedies" work. Ghostbusters is a comedy that is also a carefully-crafted buddy-film/workplace-satire/fairly effective horror movie, but it's not less of a comedy for any of those.

There's no disagreement here. You're expressing the same point I was trying to make. GHOSTBUSTERS cares about being a complete film (in the comedy genre, yes); most modern comedies do not, and are content to just be silly gag factories with unbelievable characters.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Looks less like a Ghostbusters nostalgia project than a Stranger Things nostalgia project.

I'm out.
Can a trailer be boring? Because that one totally was.
(12-09-2019, 01:44 PM)Bucho Wrote: a Stranger Things nostalgia project.

My God-- a nostalgia nesting-doll!
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
DO YOU LIKE STRANGER THINGS?!! WELL WE GOTTA MOVIE FOR YOU!!

yeah Ghostbusters does not deserve the reverence that trailer is giving the franchise.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

My only exposure to Stranger Things has been by way of flipping through 1,500 unsold copies of the soundtrack on vinyl while looking for Star Trek scores.
Christ, the "FINALLY, A REAL SEQUEL" responses this thing is getting. Is this really what you pictured for GB 3?
Tough crowd in here.
Looks ok. Not totally sold. And I agree that there's no way the events in the first two movies could be viewed as a myth. It would be all people would talk about for blooming ever!
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
They kinda did that Ghostbusters 2 as well. It didn’t work!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
For me G2 is a good example of a sequel that obviously isn't as good as the original but is still pretty good and shouldn't be erased from existence.
This feels like a Netflix movie.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(12-09-2019, 02:48 PM)bluelouboyle Wrote: Looks ok. Not totally sold. And I agree that there's no way the events in the first two movies could be viewed as a myth. It would be all people would talk about for blooming ever!

They aren't as far as I can see from the trailer. There hasn't been a ghost sighted in 30 years according to the trailer so.....guess they did a good job.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
It's just a weird tone to take for a film that features Dan Akroyd getting a ghost blow job. I guess to throw my hat into the is GhostBusters a comedy/film that happens to be funny debate: It's a Comedy. It's not as wacky as something like Blues Brothers, but I definitely think it's closer to that aesthetic. Because I definitely didn't take the horror that seriously.

So to go describe the first Ghostbusters as "mythical" is kinda ridiculous.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

I'm sure I read somewhere that people doubted the events of the first happened. But I'm probably wrong.
Those Stay Puft truthers have finally managed to control the narrative.
(12-09-2019, 04:40 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Those Stay Puft truthers have finally managed to control the narrative.

"Marshmallows cannot crush steel beams!"
There are people that still believe the Earth is flat and the Moon Landing wasn't real in 2019. Of course some people are going to disbelieve a ghost attack from over 30 years ago. And the only character we are shown so far who doesn't know about it is a young girl who may have not been exposed to that knowledge yet to it yet as odd as that seems. And if she is related to one of the original crew, her mom probably kept the information from her for a good reason.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
Apparently the trailer that contains jokes and/or anything interesting is still coming up.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(12-09-2019, 02:48 PM)bluelouboyle Wrote: Looks ok.  Not totally sold.  And I agree that there's no way the events in the first two movies could be viewed as a myth.  It would be all people would talk about for blooming ever!

I don't think they're being viewed as myth, it just seems to be something some kids don't know about...like the Ghostbusters movie. It's a Ghostbusters movie about kids that haven't seen Ghostbusters discovering Ghostbusters.
If that actually happened it'd change the course of mankind forever. Special commemoration days, entire classes devoted to it, not to mention the way ghosts and the busters would make their way into pop culture. Maybe this is a world where people are already all living with the knowledge of ghosts, but it doesn't seem like it.
The kids not knowing shit about the Ghostbusters is the most believable thing in this movie. Hell kids I know that age don't know anything about 9/11, or anything that happened prior to 2000 for that matter.
Wasn't there a big thing back in 2012 about lots of people (read: teens/kids/young people) not realizing that the sinking of the Titanic was a real event?

I can certainly buy that the two main kids in this movie haven't heard of the Ghostbusters. It doesn't necessarily seem like the worldwide status quo in the universe of the movie, as Rudd appears surprised they haven't heard of them.
I think conclusive proof of afterlife might slot into a slightly different category.
Well, the Titanic did come back in Ghostbusters 2, but yeah, that was a thing. Kids not realizing it wasn't just a movie. Also, my grandmother, alzheimer's, reading the centennial headline they reproduced as an insert in the paper. "Did you hear about this cruise ship sinking! Those poor people."
Better late than never.
Nothing makes for better cinema than characters learning things that the audience is well aware of.
People in the Ghostbusters world were over the Ghostbusters a few years after they fought a god on a evil high rise and blew up a Godzilla sized corporate mascot.

That aside, it's not like everyone just doesn't remember the Ghostbusters. So far it seems to be one kid that doesn't know about something that happened 30 years ago. That doesn't seem too unbelievable. And the teacher seems pretty shocked they don't know. It's also pretty clearly meant to be about how kids now mostly don't really know what the Ghostbusters are.
The trailer is missing Bill Murray saying, "The thing is- Slimer, the Ecto-1, Gozer, all of it... they're real."
I don't know what will blow these kids' minds more, that Ghostbusters existed? Or that Eddie Murphy was supposed to be one?
Eddie Murphy? I thought he was a myth!
"Yes children, the Ghostbusters saved New York and its citizens from unspeakable horrors. Oh and Slimer was based on Belushi."
Jim Belushi?
(12-09-2019, 06:57 PM)bailey Wrote: The trailer is missing Bill Murray saying, "The thing is- Slimer, the Ecto-1, Gozer, all of it... they're real."

Ray Stantz's role will feature no speaking lines, just himself standing on a hillside as one of the children silently holds an unlicensed nuclear accelerator towards him.