Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
KNIVES OUT Post-Release Discussion
Saw this again. I thought the stuff Monica brings up in her editorial was going to bother me, but I think I agree with Jones. That said, I thought the piece was pretty thoughtful.

Anyway, this might be my favorite movie I've seen in a long, long time.
home taping is killing music
I recognized the song that was playing at the diner while Ransom and Marta were hatching their scheme as being from Gordon Lightfoot, but the song is "Sundown."

The chorus to that song goes: "Sundown, you better take care, if I find you creeping 'round my back stairs."

RIAN.
Seeing you guys discover the original title of that book in real time gave me a hearty chuckle.

This movie is terrific and I definitely wouldn't call it my favorite of the year, which says more about the year than this movie. I think it's almost certainly Johnson's best movie. At the very least, it's my favorite.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Another thing I noticed:

This movie is the rare PG-13 that has the double f-bomb!
Yeah it’s a misconception that you can only use the word once. You can say it twice so long as there’s no sexual connotation.
Ah, I thought it was "one at minimum" and everything else was flexible. I also thought some of the violence, additional language, and drug use would have put it over the top into an R, but I guess you can't guess anything these days.
Not many people know this, but you can have up to three masturbating nazis in a PG-13 so long as the masturbation is not "accompanied by obscene narration, grunting, or visible pubic hair."
Like an idiot, I looked up the And Then There Were None Wikipedia page right here in my classroom full of 8th graders taking a quiz.

41 years old and I still have learned nothing....
(12-06-2019, 01:25 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Another thing I noticed:

I believe the Martian did, too.

MPAA allows a second if it is a natural utterance incidental to an event that would lead a person to uncontrollably curse ... or something like that.

(12-06-2019, 04:55 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 01:25 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Another thing I noticed:

I believe the Martian did, too.

MPAA allows a second if it is a natural utterance incidental to an event that would lead a person to uncontrollably curse ... or something like that.

And yet they still had him scream, "GOD!! GOD!!! GOD!! GOOOOD!!!" after his biggest setback.  That bit is always a little jarring to me.  Most humans would've been unloading a cornucopia of curses at that point...

The movie was very good, definitely worth seeing. It's an original drama, no franchise, adaptation, or remake. We want that, right?

Count me as one of the slow brained enfeeblers who was along for the ride on the mystery. Sure, I sensed something was going on with the medical bag, but I figured if I just sat and enjoyed the movie the nice Southern gentleman would explain it all to me eventually.

I get people feeling deflated during the middle after the reveal, but that seems completely intentional. All the character stuff going on in that stretch worked for me. As someone who has seen half their family tear into each other over how grandma's will gets divided up, this story spoke to me.

On the subject of the Ryan Johnson cute affectations scale, this is like a 5%. Looper is 50%, Brothers Bloom is 90%. This is his tightest, most digestible screenplay by far.
That "reveal" isn't even the mid point. Thinking about it, it's the start of the second act.
My theories on what The Twist was as I was watching:

-Daniel Craig is a ghost who can only communucate through piano plinks.
-All the characters are manifestations of aspects of the writer's personality traits (a la Identity)
-The movie is actually the writer's final unpublished manuscript, being read by a man alone in a prison cell in Spain in 1865.
(12-06-2019, 02:39 PM)schwartz Wrote: Not many people know this, but you can have up to three masturbating nazis in a PG-13 so long as the masturbation is not "accompanied by obscene narration, grunting, or visible pubic hair."

Great, now I have to rewrite my script!

Personally I think that the family members that told Marta they wanted her at the funeral where lying. I base this opinion on the fact that they where awful people.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Dug this, I really hope its part of the MCU.
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?
(12-08-2019, 09:52 PM)Chaz Rock City Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 02:39 PM)schwartz Wrote: Not many people know this, but you can have up to three masturbating nazis in a PG-13 so long as the masturbation is not "accompanied by obscene narration, grunting, or visible pubic hair."

Great, now I have to rewrite my script!

Personally I think that the family members that told Marta they wanted her at the funeral where lying. I base this opinion on the fact that they where awful people.

And they always kept saying “sorry, I was outvoted”.
I was kind of surprised that there wasn't a one on one with every family member where they told her that.
I think they could have had one more family member say that, but not all, would have been too on the nose. Having two say the same phrase verbatim already tells you how much they don’t give a shit about Marta. Except maybe Katherine Langford’s character, who’s the most decent of the bunch but still giving in to her family’s pressure instead of growing a spine.
Katherine Langford is the worst of all of them, after the actual murderer!
Worse then that Nazi child masturbating in the bathroom?
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
Yes. If you wanted to accurately describe what "virtue signaling" looks like, it would be that character - who doesn't even blink before selling her "friend" out.
Except she looked pretty miserable having to do that, during and after the phone call, which is what I pointed out about her being pressured by the family and she was too spineless to stand up for Marta.
That's fair. I just really wanted to write: "Nazi child masturbating in the bathroom."
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
(12-10-2019, 12:59 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Except she looked pretty miserable having to do that, during and after the phone call, which is what I pointed out about her being pressured by the family and she was too spineless to stand up for Marta.

Being spineless makes it worse!
But worse than the others including her swindling and coercing mother? Eh. They’re all bad, but there’s different levels.
Yeah, Langford blinks a ton when it comes to selling Marta out. She is ultimately weak, but she's nowhere near as greedy and spiteful as the rest of the lot.
I think the movie is close to perfect, but I will say the one scene I wish I could have seen is the moment when Langford reveals Marta's mother is undocumented. I can't tell whether she was lying when she says she was forced or made to or if they actually pressed her into revealing that information.
Welp, seems this was just all a conspiracy by the Mouse, according to an IMDb user of course.

[Image: KqmyraB.jpg]
How old do you think that guy is? Fourteen? Forty one?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
41 with the mentality of a 14 year old? But looking at the 1 star reviews on the site it seems he’s not alone on thinking this is a conspiracy.

Star Wars really makes people act funny.
A conspiracy by the studio to...get a good cast for its movie?

Diabolical.
No doubt Disney paid off all the good reviews it got, even though it’s not their film.

Where’s my paycheck, Disney?
Saw this today and really, really liked it. Easily Johnson's best film (and I'm a big fan of TLJ, FWIW).

I'm not a big murder mystery fan (print or film) so I was able to do what nooj did - get caught up in Marta's dilemma and just enjoy the story. Craig was clearly having a blast.

When Trumpian topics first came up, I assumed they were just a topical touch and parody of family get togethers. And then the film grins and says, nope. Buckle up, buttercup. Ransom's little speech at the end might've been a little too on on the nose, but I didn't mind.

Since I live in stupid fucking Red State country, I kept expecting harsh reactions from the (surprisingly full) audience but didn't pick up on any, thankfully.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Seems if Disney isn’t gonna green light his trilogy he’s just gonna do Benoit Blanc films. Fine by me.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2020/01/05/ex...maybe-more
Hope we see Marta again.