Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE MANDALORIAN featuring Banks, Biehn, Curtis, Dawson, Morrison, Olyphant & Sackhoff
Totally called Ayoade as the droid.

I know people are gonna be all "BUT MAH STORY" but that was just a great fun episode. Great cameos and I loved how it basically turned into an Alien movie towards the end.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
This was a marked improvement over last week. I like how we had some uber violent Droid deaths. It reminded me of how they got away with violence on the old episodes of Samurai Jack.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Didnt recognize any of the actors playing mercenaries that were buried under makeup. Great cast for Ep6.
Very fun episode with a terrific assortment of characters, but I do wish the show was attempting to paint a clearer picture of exactly what the Mandalorian’s plan is. Is this it? Just keep doing random jobs while trying to keep the child safe? Until the end of time? Is there no greater scheme he’s got up his sleeve?
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Clancy Brown ripping shit up as Burg was awesome! Loved all of this.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
So much better than last week. Good riff on Reservoir Dogs and Ronin.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Made it forty years without being even slightly attracted to a Twi’lek. All for nothing now.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Natalia Tena as Xi'an was so good. I didn't recognize her at all, she just sold the character.
Love the heavy implication that her and Mando boned.
Hmm

This was a very Batman episode, only difference being he starts out on the inside of the job. When things change, it straight up turns into him Batmanning a colorful cast of villiains (that shot where he's coming for Mayfield is so Batman, DC should probably sue). I mean, it's Batman right down to the extreme force or ploys that could result in deaths but no directly intended killing--other than droids. Plenty of intended droid killing.

I feel like I missed something when the episode started, and I probably did. What was Mando's motivation here, just more money? Helping an old friend? There were various insinuations and implications, at one point they even made it sound like it was Mando's fault that Twi'dude got locked up, so maybe he was trying to right a wrong or something... but that doesn't really connect with how the episode started. I might have to rewatch this one to clear up whether the storytelling here is a little confused or maybe it's just me. At the end where Mando was like, "That was a bad idea," I was just like, "You think?"
the empire never ended
(12-14-2019, 10:21 AM)wasp Wrote: I feel like I missed something when the episode started, and I probably did. What was Mando's motivation here, just more money? Helping an old friend? There were various insinuations and implications, at one point they even made it sound like it was Mando's fault that Twi'dude got locked up, so maybe he was trying to right a wrong or something... but that doesn't really connect with how the episode started. I might have to rewatch this one to clear up whether the storytelling here is a little confused or maybe it's just me. At the end where Mando was like, "That was a bad idea," I was just like, "You think?"

You didn't miss anything. It is still completely unclear what the Mandalorian's endgame is, or if he even has one. That's really my ony significant issue with this show at this point. Even in a very episodic format, I think they could be doing a better job of crafting a season-long throughline.
He may not even have an endgame beyond "Earn money so I can keep on the run and keep the kid safe."

----------

I'd like to have that spelled out if that's the case.

I also think, if that's the case, that the show has not done a great job of justifying why the Mandalorian would throw away his career and abandon his people. Yes, the child is EXTREMELY adorable, but the show has not sold me on the Mando deciding to dedicate possibly the rest of his life to being on the run and keeping him safe.
Mando needs a financial planner.

Maybe he wouldn't have even had to do this most recent episode if he hadn't so generously overpaid Grandma Ripley his entire life-staked bounty in the previous one.

(12-14-2019, 12:05 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I'd like to have that spelled out if that's the case.

I also think, if that's the case, that the show has not done a great job of justifying why the Mandalorian would throw away his career and abandon his people.  Yes, the child is EXTREMELY adorable, but the show has not sold me on the Mando deciding to dedicate possibly the rest of his life to being on the run and keeping him safe.

Yeah, I agree, it is easy enough to draw these conclusions for ourselves but it just feels like the show isn't bothering to communicate motivations and to develop drama or pathos from that.

But maybe it's sort of just tied into the central conceit--having The Mandalorian perpetually masked is kind of a cool principle for the show to stand on, superficially (which makes it all the weirder in samurai village episode when he takes his mask off to watch some kids play literally like 40 feet away from him)--but the cons are we don't get to see any sort of detailed performance from Pascal. The show already has enough exposition, so I don't necessarily want more of that explaining things to me, but unfortunately I think the writing is just not strong enough to make this aspect of the story really work.

At the same time, I do appreciate that a new show is trying to bring peak TV production value to a more episodic format, i think that's kind of interesting and rare these days. But, as you said, the through-line for the episodes is more like a through-ellipsis.
the empire never ended
(12-14-2019, 12:05 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I'd like to have that spelled out if that's the case.

I also think, if that's the case, that the show has not done a great job of justifying why the Mandalorian would throw away his career and abandon his people.  Yes, the child is EXTREMELY adorable, but the show has not sold me on the Mando deciding to dedicate possibly the rest of his life to being on the run and keeping him safe.

It's fucking obvious, dude. Like come on, do you want him to stop, turn to the camera and say he's just flying by the seat of his pants? Just use your imagination.

It's just an pulpy, old style adventure of the week show, take it for what it is but most likely, the season finalé will have him finally choose his signet/pennant, it'll be the kid and we'll get the complete flashback that shows it was Yoda/Yaddle who saved him from the Battle Droids all those years ago.
I was about to type that while it'll certainly be a Jedi that saves him, there's no need for him to have been saved by Yoda or Yaddle... but now I'd be (pleasantly!) surprised if that's not the case. I'd like him to have just saved BY because he was a kid. £10 says the season ends with Baby Yoda joining up with a handful of adult Yodas, who, like elves, fairies, or ET, quickly scurry/blast off.

I thought this was great - definitely, by a country mile, the best of the standalone adventure episodes. If there're two left, I imagine next week will be when the Guild and/or the Imperial remnant catch up with him.

I don't think the plot needs any explanation. He doesn't have a plan with the child, other than keep him safe, and he needs the jobs for money.
I've been under the impression he was saved by Mandalorians, hence how he got adopted into their culture.
The quick moment of Yel Nino looking at his hand in disbelief before realising it was Mando that took out Zero absolutely made my weekend.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
(12-14-2019, 07:44 PM)rexbanner Wrote: He doesn't have a plan with the child, other than keep him safe, and he needs the jobs for money.

So far it feels like his plan to keep the kid safe and his financial needs are pretty directly conflicting with each other. Maybe in the next episode or the finale we'll be like, "OH NOW I SEE" ...I dunno.

Is he just too sentimental to turn Baby Yoda over to the New Republic or something? I mean, I get that can't happen because TV show, but you know what I mean: with no read on Mando and little to no connective tissue in the past three episodes and a very lacking set-up of Mando's motivation in this most recent episode... the storytelling feels adrift, and not just because it's episodic. Star Trek: TNG, for instance, was very deliberate in how it set up the story for each episode and how that played into its characters as it had established them.

It's almost like The Mandalorian wants to be cooler or a bit more vague than that, which is fine, I just think it might be sacrificing a bit too much when you combine that with a lead character where you can't get much performative detail to help connect you with motivation or emotion.
the empire never ended
(12-14-2019, 12:00 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: He may not even have an endgame beyond "Earn money so I can keep on the run and keep the kid safe."

This is how I read it too. If it was good enough for The Incredible Hulk, it's good enough for The Mandolorian. One of the refreshing things about this series is how it's a throwback to episodic television in an age where most every other action or drama show is aimed at heading towards some endpoint.
"It's delicious." “The unfolding disaster in Japan must produce a seismic shift in how we address nuclear safety here in America.” - Rep. Edward J. Markey, D-Mass
Yeah, I'm both jonesing for the Imperial-remnant plot to resume and totally happy to eat up as many random adventures as they care to give me. So far it's following the Buffy/Doctor Who reboot format* - that is, it's still a lot more serialised than the discourse is making it out to be.

*I was about to say 'So not that old fashioned' but then I remembered 2005 was 15 years ago and made myself sad.
My favorite episode. Great directing and production values, good world building, exciting. Everything I was hoping for from the show. Surprisingly funny, too.

The fight with the droids and the strobing effect when Mando is approaching Bill Burr? Just AWESOME.

Am I the only one who thought the show set up some kind of mystery about what the Imperial dudes wanted with Baby Yoda? The longer this goes on with sidestory episodes, I'm beginning to suspect that the only reason the Imperial dudes wanted Baby Yoda is because he'd be cute for the show ... and so that they could do the "the target is 50 years old!" fakeout in the first episode and give Mando some kind of reason for going against the Guild. If this is all just going to be Mando on the run from the Guild with Baby Yoda in tow -- and that's all that setup in the first 2-3 episodes was about -- I'm going to be incredibly disappointed.
Once Mando kills off all the other bounty hunters, the made men will have to move in.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(12-16-2019, 09:51 AM)chrknudsen Wrote: If this is all just going to be Mando on the run from the Guild with Baby Yoda in tow -- and that's all that setup in the first 2-3 episodes was about -- I'm going to be incredibly disappointed.

It's probably going to be more than that.  Just because every single episode hasn't focused on it doesn't mean they're just ignoring it.  The X-Files had non-mythology episodes (that, frankly, people seemed to like more anyway).

----------

Ludwig Göransson's score for THE MANDALORIAN: CHAPTER 7 - THE RECKONING

01. Man Of Honour
02. Reprogram
03. Kuiil
04. The Standoff
05. Black Skies
06. This Is It
07. The Arrival
08. The Mandalorian (Orchestral Version)

CHAPTER 1 - THE ASSET
CHAPTER 2 - THE CHILD
CHAPTER 3 - THE SIN
CHAPTER 4 - SANCTUARY
CHAPTER 5 - THE GUNSLINGER
CHAPTER 6 - THE PRISONER
Pretty spoiler-y there, Barry. Maybe don’t spoil shit with your enthusiasm?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Well the "Where's the plot?" folks should be pretty happy with that one. Damn them for dropping this early and making us wait nine days for the next one though.

----------

Haven't seen the ep yet but Dickson's "Take that, you story-loving ghouls!" responses the last couple of weeks have been very funny.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
I didn't see the newest episode yet, but I did just finish the heist one. Loved it. Possible favorite episode yet. I loved that they addressed and fixed my typical problem, which is Mando being a big dumb idiot who trusts too easily. He still kind of does that here, but he's so clever and capable that it doesn't help any of his enemies.
I guess as someone who grew up on "...of the Week" style television series, not having every episode relentlessly move a meta-plot forward wasn't a big deal to me. And, well, once you see this week's episode, some of those "filler" episodes don't seem so filler-y anymore.

----------

Yeah. That should shut up the "where's the story?" crowd. Great episode and fuck you Disney + for making us wait 9 days after THAT.
Also, I guess this episode solidifies the idea that Jedi and Sith battling it out at the very top of the war between the rebels and Empire were kept on the low low. It sounds like these bounty hunters who get around in the galaxy never heard of The Force or Jedis before now.
That's my takeaway as well. The Jedi are mostly forgotten at this point and what really happened on the Death Star II wasn't revealed. Anyways , great episode all around. Loved the new TIE Fighter design.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
So sometime between this series and TFA, Luke, Darth Vader, the Emporer and the stories are pretty much common knowlege. I would have thought someone would have said, "Hey! That's like those Jedi stories Abuela would tell us!"