Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS post-release thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik myers View Post

Then I must have read something wrong, because I remember the ART OF BOOK discussing it as something existing within the narrative; however, you may be right.

I remember no such ambiguity in the VISUAL GUIDE, which states it as canon.

Just checked, and The Visual Guide to Rogue One doesn't state it as canon at all.  In fact it outright says Jyn's mother (Lyra) never even met a Jedi.  It also states that despite that she basically became a Jedi enthusiast/"worshipper" of the Force, but not that she was force-sensitive.  Basically like Max Von Sydow's character in TFA.

AI'm so confused right now, and seriously doubting my sanity.

Off topic, anyone seen that movie SHAZAAM? Effects sucked, but Sinbad was hilarious.
Quote:

Originally Posted by erik myers View Post

I'm so confused right now, and seriously doubting my sanity.

Off topic, anyone seen that movie SHAZAAM? Effects sucked, but Sinbad was hilarious.

Ugh, this meme.

from The Telegraph newspaper~

'Disney, which owns Lucasfilm and the Star Wars franchise, took out a £41 million ($50 million) contract protection insurance policy on Carrie Fisher, according to the website Insurance Insider.

Following the actress's death, the company is expected to received one of the largest personal accident payouts in history.

The policy, which was held with Lloyds of London, would have been created to protect Disney from any losses if Fisher was unable to complete her agreed Star Wars filming, including 2015's The Force Awakens, and two additional movies.

While the actress had finished filming for Episode VIII, released next December, her character General Leia Organa (she'll "always be royalty" to millions of fans) was expected to feature in Episode IX, which has not yet begun filming.'

AGood to know Disney won't be going under.

I'm sure John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill all had/have similar insurance policies taken on them. Just the manpower spent figuring out how to solve such a problem would be expensive for a production.

And imagine how many hours and meetings it would take to convince Kathleen Kennedy not to replace John Boyega with a blue-eyed, brown-haired British girl if he was unable to complete the series!

I'm willing to bet one big reason for the policy is to help pay for any CGI necromancy that might need to be done.

A[quote name="D.T." url="/community/t/155018/star-wars-the-force-awakens-post-release-thread/8790#post_4202568"]

And imagine how many hours and meetings it would take to convince Kathleen Kennedy not to replace John Boyega with a blue-eyed, brown-haired British girl if he was unable to complete the series!
[/quote]

YES!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

YES!!!

Has this become your default post?

Nooj doesn't post much these days.  He just tweets on a message board.

A[quote name="MichaelM" url="/community/t/155018/star-wars-the-force-awakens-post-release-thread/8790#post_4202621"]
Has this become your default post?
[/quote]

YES????

The funnier answer would've been NOOOO!!!!

-15 points

I don't play your moviesports

A[quote name="Paul C" url="/community/t/155018/star-wars-the-force-awakens-post-release-thread/8760#post_4202496"]Good to know Disney won't be going under.[/quote]

Was beyond worried!

This thread is so dang epic and fun.

Over the last bunch of hours I've skimmed the first 30 pages in between bouts of (pretending to do) actual work, and I still think this is one of the Top 5 threads in the history of this wondrous old joint.
(12-17-2019, 07:01 PM)Bucho Wrote: This thread is so dang epic and fun.

Over the last bunch of hours I've skimmed the first 30 pages in between bouts of (pretending to do) actual work, and I still think this is one of the Top 5 threads in the history of this wondrous old joint.

It was a collective effort.

(12-16-2015, 12:37 PM)Evi Wrote:

It's really fucking great.

Nobody can say I'm not consistent!
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
It was a'ight. Better than rhe prequels anyway.
Git' in under mah belly!
I had the same basic issues back then, but I was definitely a lot kinder to the movie than I am now hahahaha

but thanks to this wonderful place, I was taught to be more ruthless towards it!

thank you, website!

(12-17-2019, 07:19 PM)Evi Wrote:
(12-16-2015, 12:37 PM)Evi Wrote:

It's really fucking great.

Nobody can say I'm not consistent!

I couldn't trust your eyes then either!!
I was 1000% correct in calling it terrible halfassed fanfic from the get-go, and I remain equally correct now!
Uh, congrats?
Omfg I said I liked it a lot in my first post and then continued to shit on it.

How embarressing!
(12-18-2019, 02:44 AM)freeman Wrote: Omfg I said I liked it a lot in my first post and then continued to shit on it.

How embarressing!

I mean, that's STAR WARS.  Particularly this one, which was engineered from top to bottom for immediate gratification.
I will not make the same mistake Jordi!
Wasn’t really crazy about it, but now I’ve grown to like it as much as the OT.

Negative nancies
(12-18-2015, 09:32 PM)Paul C Wrote: Okay I saw it, mostly unspoiled as it turns out. It is the anti-Prequel, for better and worse. It has every quality those films lacked, but none of the weirdness or invention.

It starts strong and does a great job of establishing the new characters and their camaraderie. The characters feel to me like Star Wars TNG - most of them have an obvious counterpart from the original series, but with enough individuality and good casting to make it feel fresh. As a devout Oscar Issac fan it's great seeing him play broad with a square-jawed, comic booky performance. It's also quite wonderful seeing Harrison Ford wide awake and fully committed. You really buy him as an older Han.

But I felt like after they leave Jakkoo, as the film starts drifting away from the new characters to get more and more bogged down in half-baked lore and OT callbacks, it loses momentum and the thinness of the story and script start becoming clear. There comes a point, for me about the time they bring in Snoke as the shadowy overlord, that the blatant re-skinning of old tropes just started feeling lazy. I can't be intrigued by a character like that because it's just an undistinguished Emperor stand in. Similar with Maz Kan-whatsit. And the whole Death Star mk 3 thing is so played out at this point there was no tension whatsoever. Of the last half of the film the Han stuff worked best, but even there the Luke/Kylo backstory was sketched out in such shorthand I'm not sure the emotion felt earned.

It's strengths are that it looks and feels both 'right' and modern, the new characters are good and Abrams has again showed his talent for showcasing a fresh ensemble cast in a way that proves a soft-reset can work. That's probably all it needed to count as a win as a series relaunch. The sequels have some potential, but as a stand-alone I think this only partly satisfies.

Still agree with my take here.

Ah those innocent times when TFA seemed like a flawed springboard for hopefully better things to come, rather than... the only good one.
TLJ was sooooo much better.
I still like them both a lot.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
So so SOOOO much better.

I'm not trying to be shitty or start something, but how you could look at TFA and call it superior when it's literally "a shittier version of the original" like Jurassic World...

You would have to have VERY big problems with TLJ to say that and I just do not see it.
(12-18-2019, 03:27 AM)freeman Wrote: I will not make the same mistake Jordi!

That's GEORDI, you Canadian hillbilly!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I never saw it written down! I just watched TNG for the first time in recent years!!!

FORGIVE ME ... La... Forge...?
If only there were some way for you to quickly search for and confirm the correct spelling. Wink

Back to TFA:

For me, the moment the film starts to lose me (and, IMNSHO, begins to lose any commitment it had to being a "real" SW film, as difficult as that may be to define) is the Keystone Cops and Monsters sequence when the big Lovecraftian monster gets loose and chases Han, Chewie, Rey, Finn, and the bad guys. It's a shift in tone and style from which the film, to some degree, never recovers, and it's a jarring bit of modernity (in terms of blockbuster movie tropes or elements) that asserts itself in the midst of us settling back into a more old fashioned story.

It's over the top and excessive in a way that OT isn't (or very rarely is) and takes me out of the SW vibe every time.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

I hear that all the time, and I don't really get it. WHY is it a tonal change? Han Solo smuggling Lovecraft monsters as a scheme is actually one of my favorite "gags".
Someone here more adept at the language of film will have to answer. But here's my best shot:

It doesn't forward the plot. It feels big and arch and silly and it goes on for a while, in a way we just don't get in the OT. (Of course there were gags and silliness in the OT. I'm not saying there wasn't.) It feels very much like a studio note or obligatory script writing development - "oh, hey, it's been x minutes since some action happened, so we better have some here."

There's no real sense of danger: I don't think anyone seeing it for the first time really thought any of the four "good guy" characters were going to die or be seriously injured.

Moreover, it doesn't really give us any new information on Rey or Finn. It's a chase sequence simply to be a chase sequence and keep the audience's adrenaline up.