Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE MANDALORIAN featuring Banks, Biehn, Curtis, Dawson, Morrison, Olyphant & Sackhoff
Given that this takes place about five years after ROTJ I guess the truth hasn't really come out yet. Even then a lot of people still dismiss the old legends.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Great episode. New villain gets a helluva an entrance, that's for sure.

Some casualties I was NOT expecting, too.

I think Richard's correct: we've all become so used to shows with shorter seasons having episodes that are nothing but arc that it can be jarring to see a show doing self contained eps.

Except this one is...and isn't. I think the show strikes a wonderful balance in giving us short complete stories that still tie in, directly or no, to the greater story.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Great episode on all fronts.

(12-18-2019, 02:39 PM)ChrisW Wrote: Also, I guess this episode solidifies the idea that Jedi and Sith battling it out at the very top of the war between the rebels and Empire were kept on the low low. It sounds like these bounty hunters who get around in the galaxy never heard of The Force or Jedis before now.

It's still not all that plausible, given that the Clone Wars would have been only 30ish years prior to this, and the Jedi were running around all over the place as the very public face of the Republic war effort. The Empire would have stamped-out any acknowledgment of this in the galactic discourse, but surely there are millions/billions of people who would have memories of the Jedi.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
That was fucking bangin'. Just a good old fashioned genre series penultimate episode - the plot that was set up at the start and left to boil heats up, characters we met a while back and thus feel more affectionate towards given their absence return, some cool deaths, and a dynamite cliffhanger. Very Buffy, very Doctor Who.

The direction was kickass too. While all of the directing has been competent to good, this was the first time I thought to notice during scenes.

The Nazis-in-Argentina angle is such a cool, natural angle to explore for the Imperial villains too. You can definitely imagine Herzog and Esposito having shadowy meetings with Tarkin, and reducing them to scruffy thugs is a visually and thematically interesting twist on an organisation that's been the go-to fictional evil organisation for 40 years. I'm still irritated that they didn't lean into that sort of thing more with the First Order in Episode VII.

I've never had a problem with the Jedi being a quiet thing. In a galaxy of billions of trillions, I'm sure the prequels mention that there were only 10,000 or so. And sure the galaxy's probably got some form of mass-media, but in a galaxy you'd have thousands of competing mass medias.

Besides, knowing Jedi exist - even believing that they're very competent, scary warriors - doesn't mean you'd believe in magic in a galaxy that'll be packed with plenty of strange things anyway.
Yeah, that was fucking great, everyone was a joy to watch. The Herzog's little speech about not understanding wtf was wrong with people, life was so much safer and prosperous under the Empire, Palpatine made sure the space trains ran on time, etc was hilarious and I was very sorry to see him go. And as for that ending, noooooooooooooooooo! Please be a fake out.

Also, I especially love how the Dadalorian has set a bad example to the wee fella when it comes to people 'threatening' him, wasn't expecting that at all...
I think this show is kicking ass, and is somehow the run away success of the entire Disney tenure. If this existed when I was a kid, I’d be obsessed, buying all the toys (and there’s be some great toys, Kuill, IG-11, Bill Burr, hell, I’d even buy Amy Sedaris’s junker), watching it over and over again.

You wouldn’t think it would be so hard to do something this solid with Star Wars, but apparently it is! So all credit to this. In spite of everything else, I think it proves there’s plenty of potential for greatness in the future of Star Wars.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I kinda loved the IG-11 training montage.
(12-19-2019, 02:32 AM)somewhere Wrote: I kinda loved the IG-11 training montage.

Kuill pointing at the spot where IG dropped the crate on the lizard just killed me.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(12-19-2019, 02:01 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: I think this show is kicking ass, and is somehow the run away success of the entire Disney tenure. If this existed when I was a kid, I’d be obsessed, buying all the toys (and there’s be some great toys, Kuill, IG-11, Bill Burr, hell, I’d even buy Amy Sedaris’s junker), watching it over and over again.

You wouldn’t think it would be so hard to do something this solid with Star Wars, but apparently it is! So all credit to this. In spite of everything else, I think it proves there’s plenty of potential for greatness in the future of Star Wars.

I completely agree that if I were a kid and watching this, I'd be losing my damn mind. I still really like the second half of ROGUE ONE, and I really like about half of TLJ, but this is definitely the most consistently good Disney Star Wars thing.

Really liked this episode. I liked the STORY (!!!!!). But seriously, HAVE BABY YODA, WILL TRAVEL is a pretty good show, and the JUSTIFIED approach to serialization is a good one.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Yes, I've been more mild-mannered on the show but this new episode was stellar.

Deborah Chow has been the MVP of the season and it's not particularly close (although I still have a big soft spot for Rick Famiyuma's Jawa setpiece). I thought her third episode was probably the strongest overall but this newest one is one hundred percent the high water mark.

Some things I'm still not completely sold on in terms of Mando's decision-making (would like at least some token piece of dialogue explaining why he doesn't think turning Baby Yoda over to the New Republic is a viable option) but at least this episode made some effort to get us to buy in, the stakes get established, and that tragic final setpiece was just grade-A television.

Chow has such a great sense of how to balance atmosphere, detail, pace, and needs of the story. This episode's monster attack scene is one of the best and most evocative I've seen in Star Wars since, gosh, the Rancor or something like that? But it was phenomenally done, doesn't overstay its welcome, and also--by golly--served a strong purpose in terms of plot and character development.

Chow spends enough time focusing on close-ups and medium shots of the Mandalorian that, even with his mask on, I felt like I was connecting with him in this episode. I also thought Pascal really brought it with the line deliveries in this one, the stakes felt real because he gets the balance right on the level of emotion he lets crack through. I give credit to him but also think Chow probably deserves some credit, her two episodes have functioned notably better on an emotional level than the other ones.

But yeah, very impressed with this one. I can only hope the finale follows through on it and doesn't cheapen it.
the empire never ended
Best episode of the series. The build to the climax was so well done.
It felt like Weathers went back into Chubbs Petersen mode when he was delivering his offer to Mando. Not a complaint.
Yeah, that was great! Best episode since 3, which Deborah Chow also just happened to direct (though those two episodes also move the story forward the most, but her directing is definitely above the rest). Not really sure that it "justifies" the last couple of "filler" episodes, but it of course also doesn't necessarily have to. Knowing the structure of the show more is certainly helpful and encouraging to me.
I dig that they haven't stuck slavishly to some overarching serial narrative, especially since each episode has done plenty to grow our knowledge of who Mando is and/or was, but each of 4, 5 and 6 have been successively weaker in quality for me, so it has felt like the further they got from the main deal - and Kujil, perhaps not coincidentally - the more it's felt like the quality was dropping off.

Then 7 happens and restores the quality and I start to feel like maybe there is something to the level of focus the main deal gives the show runners.

(12-19-2019, 10:41 AM)wasp Wrote: Yes, I've been more mild-mannered on the show but this new episode was stellar.

Deborah Chow has been the MVP of the season and it's not particularly close (although I still have a big soft spot for Rick Famiyuma's Jawa setpiece). I thought her third episode was probably the strongest overall but this newest one is one hundred percent the high water mark.

Some things I'm still not completely sold on in terms of Mando's decision-making (would like at least some token piece of dialogue explaining why he doesn't think turning Baby Yoda over to the New Republic is a viable option) but at least this episode made some effort to get us to buy in, the stakes get established, and that tragic final setpiece was just grade-A television.

Chow has such a great sense of how to balance atmosphere, detail, pace, and needs of the story. This episode's monster attack scene is one of the best and most evocative I've seen in Star Wars since, gosh, the Rancor or something like that? But it was phenomenally done, doesn't overstay its welcome, and also--by golly--served a strong purpose in terms of plot and character development.

Chow spends enough time focusing on close-ups and medium shots of the Mandalorian that, even with his mask on, I felt like I was connecting with him in this episode. I also thought Pascal really brought it with the line deliveries in this one, the stakes felt real because he gets the balance right on the level of emotion he lets crack through. I give credit to him but also think Chow probably deserves some credit, her two episodes have functioned notably better on an emotional level than the other ones.

But yeah, very impressed with this one. I can only hope the finale follows through on it and doesn't cheapen it.

Couldn't have said it better.

Chow gets it.
Agreed. Can't wait for KENOBI.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
So, just maybe, they shouldn't have left the (former) murderdroid back on the ship?

So THAT's how TIE fighters land. Excellent retcon.

Anyone else here remember Kenner's Imperial Troop Transport? It's never looked better and I may have cheered loudly, circumstances be damned.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
It's not a (former) murderdroid though Hammer, it's a FORMER murderdroid.

Looks like they're going to have to find Babu Frik to restore it to its former potency.
I didn’t care much for 4 or 5 or 6. But I really, thoroughly enjoyed 7. Best of the series so far. Thrilled that Chow will be overseeing Kenobi.

And this was the best Tie Fighter yet. Cooler than all the film versions.
I'm not Avery.
Chow is our leader now.
Another fantastic episode.

Such a joy to have this show to watch.  It's obviously crafted by care and love by people who GET Star Wars.

I almost feel like you're insinuating something about other 2010s Star Wars storytellers Lordy old chap, but I can't put my finger on what that is.
(12-21-2019, 05:44 PM)Bucho Wrote: I almost feel like you're insinuating something about other 2010s Star Wars storytellers Lordy old chap, but I can't put my finger on what that is.

He's subtle like a Gungan.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
(12-19-2019, 09:24 PM)hammerhead Wrote: So, just maybe, they shouldn't have left the (former) murderdroid back on the ship?

So THAT's how TIE fighters land. Excellent retcon.

Anyone else here remember Kenner's Imperial Troop Transport? It's never looked better and I may have cheered loudly, circumstances be damned.

Me: "Oh, I had one of those! And it had these buttons on the top that made movie sounds! And--"

Wife: "I don't know what you're talking about and don't care."

Me: "Oh, it never occurred to me that TIE Fighters would land like that! That's cool--"

Wife: "Would you be quiet? They're talking about Baby Yoda."
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
#ThisIsTheWave

(12-19-2019, 09:24 PM)hammerhead Wrote: So THAT's how TIE fighters land. Excellent retcon.

I was thinking the same thing, but in ROTS, Kylo leaves a TIE fighter and it doesn't seem to land this way, although they don't show Ren getting out of it, just the TIE just kinda sitting there, so maybe it puts itself back together when the pilot isn't getting out of it.

I like how this show makes two somewhat mundane pieces of equipment from the Empire really seem mean and nasty after we have seen countless scenes where they are seemingly destroyed easily.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
Bike Scout Trooper #1 - Jason Sudeikis
Bike Scout Trooper #2 - Adam Pally
That bike scout opening scene is so dang Taika.
That's apparently a newer model TIE that has that landing capability. It's not a classic TIE.

My head canon is that's Tag and Bink in the opening scene and you can't tell me any different.

And boy that final shot is going to confuse people who didn't watch Clone Wars. And arouse those who did.

----------

I loved that when they finally got the lid off, after so many fans exclaiming that it was ludicrous to cast a sex symbol like Pedro, Taika uglied him up real nice.
I've not yet watched Clone Wars, but did watch Rebels, so, was not confused.
Just checking in. I've been avoiding spoilers (although i know about Baby Yoda...pictures have flooded the netz) and I don't know what happens on the show. We've been waiting for it to be complete before we begin a binge watch.

Is it worth it?
(12-27-2019, 12:00 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Is it worth it?

Very much so.  Some lulls in the middle but it finishes strong.
I'll just say, last week, I was more looking forward to last night's finale episode than having to go see Rise of Skywalker.
I doubt anyone here is going to say it's NOT worth it.

I freakin' love it. After the abortion that TROS turned out to be, I may have walked away from Star Wars altogether if this show wasn't so much damned fun!
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
(12-27-2019, 12:08 PM)JMurdoch Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 12:00 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Is it worth it?

Very much so.  Some lulls in the middle but it finishes strong.

And those lulls won't seem that way as much if you're doing a binge (although for the record, I didn't find them lulls at all).

----------