Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 3.26 Average
Trumpocalypse Now
I think McConnell may have provided them with a path forward there. Demand his recusal for the cretinous shit he said last week, declare the whole thing blatantly rigged, demand an accounting from every GOP senator brave enough to appear on tv. Make it the main thing holding up the articles. I’m no political tactician, but that seems obvious to me.

McConnell usually doesn’t fuck up that badly. They should pounce.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(12-19-2019, 12:25 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: I think McConnell may have provided them with a path forward there. Demand his recusal for the cretinous shit he said last week, declare the whole thing blatantly rigged, demand an accounting from every GOP senator brave enough to appear on tv. Make it the main thing holding up the articles. I’m no political tactician, but that seems obvious to me.

McConnell usually doesn’t fuck up that badly. They should pounce.
To what end?  It's pretty clear at this point that there is nothing whatsoever that is going to sway enough Republican voters into favoring removal (which is what is needed to get GOP Senators to vote for it).  The sides are picked and haven't meaningfully shifted virtually since Trump got elected.

McConnell is probably the most shameless member of the Senate GOP and their willing and deliberate hate sink so he won't recuse under any circumstance.
One possible path forward is a secret ballot in the Senate. You would need 3 Republican Senators to put their heads on the chopping block (I know of at least two who would do it). I have a feeling with the shelter of anonymity, you get to 2/3 vote.
I believe the whispers in DC have said basically that. Profiles in courage!

While seeing him convicted in the Senate is great, getting every one of these shitheels on record defending him will - in a perfect world - be all the campaign videos you’d ever need forever. Hell, if I were at all decent with final cut, I’d make up 51 of the exact same video for every senator.

(12-18-2019, 10:49 PM)farsight Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 10:14 PM)history buff Wrote: Anyone care to briefly explain what exactly "present" means? I'm guessing it means she's just abstaining.

Yeah. Other acceptable votes include, "Meh.", "Whatever.", and the jerk-off motion.

I'd assume the reasoning is that as a future 3rd-party Presidential candidate, she can't siphon votes from the left if she votes, "No", but Putin doesn't want her on Pumpkins' radar by voting, "Yes." So she quietly votes, "Present" and gives no fuel to any narratives other than the ones the bots will be relentlessly swarming Facebook with.

Keep in mind that Russia can't be sure which wing of the Democratic Party they'll need to appeal to, the far left or the middle. Gabbard would be their, "Useful idiot" in case Warren or Sanders is the nominee. Otherwise, they've still got Stein on strings and their conspiracy theories to appeal to dumb lefties who think they're smart in case Biden or Buttigeig faces Dildo.

Gabbard gives off cold, clinical sociopath-vibes. Pay attention to people who choose to go into the military during a non-draft era. A portion are usually nuts.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

Jesus Christ, REALLY?

"That woman LOOKS like she's an unfeeling sociopath..."

Come the fuck on guys.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Zeddary/statu...2628101126

Love to line up in the bitter cold for 8 hours to see my big wet and very red president cruelly mock Debbie Dingell and imply that her husband is in hell. This is what America is all about: https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1207485852013625345

And toilets? You better believe we got to hoot and holler about toilets! Of course, Mister President, we know your bowel movements are perfect - its US braindead slobs who need 10 flushes to down our massive KFC shits, thank you for clarifying: https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1207492024321970176
https://mobile.twitter.com/ddale8/status...9264653312

(12-19-2019, 10:00 AM)freeman Wrote: Jesus Christ, REALLY?

"That woman LOOKS like she's an unfeeling sociopath..."

Come the fuck on guys.

Not how she looks, how she's behaved up to this point.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

Because I'm a masochist (and because I've never actually watched any significant amount of one before), I'm going to watch the entire Michigan rally from last night. I'm genuinely curious to see if there's anything there aside from a Twitter Greatest Hits compilation.

I watched the first few minutes, and his very first sentence was about how great his 2016 win was in Michigan. Not even kidding. This may kill me...

One thing to note: Trump can't pardon himself or be pardoned by anyone. Article II, section 2 of the Constitution says “The President … shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment”
(12-19-2019, 10:28 AM)Iron Maiden Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/ddale8/status...9264653312

Oh sure, NOW he listens when a woman tells him something.
Just this guy, you know?
(12-19-2019, 12:57 PM)sean blackwell Wrote: Because I'm a masochist (and because I've never actually watched any significant amount of one before), I'm going to watch the entire Michigan rally from last night. I'm genuinely curious to see if there's anything there aside from a Twitter Greatest Hits compilation.

I watched the first few minutes, and his very first sentence was about how great his 2016 win was in Michigan. Not even kidding. This may kill me...

Godspeed, sir. Let us know when you get to the part where he talks about sending Joe and Hunter Biden to the electric chair.
I think I may have posted this along time ago but it is still all to relevant.

I caught a rerun of the Twilight Zone episode "He's Alive" on SciFi recently and in light of DJT's most recent rally, this clip is so fucking prescient as to be somewhat terrifying.

It would be a great thing to have this particular TZ episode shown to a bunch of DJT rally goers prior to watching him speak....would they be able to grasp the relevance of what they are choosing to be part of?
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
(12-19-2019, 01:34 PM)vtran Wrote: It would be a great thing to have this particular TZ episode shown to a bunch of DJT rally goers prior to watching him speak....would they be able to grasp the relevance of what they are choosing to be part of?

Ron Howard: They wouldn't.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Man, he looks more not-well than usual.

[Image: 763?appId=2dc96dd3f167e919913d808324cbfeb2&quality=0.8]
Just this guy, you know?
He looks the same. Bad.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(12-19-2019, 02:15 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Man, he looks more not-well than usual.

[Image: 763?appId=2dc96dd3f167e919913d808324cbfeb2&quality=0.8]

If the glove fits, you must convict.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Looks like every woman at Costco that I see going for a motorized cart.
Gamertag: Tweakee
It will never, ever compensate for a quantum of the cruelty and damage he's inflicted on the world, but it sometimes makes me smile when I remember how obviously deeply unhappy he is. One of the reasons it's so important he be voted out (albeit one way down the list) is the chance for world leaders to openly disdain him.
(12-19-2019, 02:45 PM)farsight Wrote: Looks like every woman at Costco that I see going for a motorized cart.

[Image: giphy.gif]
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(12-19-2019, 02:57 PM)rexbanner Wrote: It will never, ever compensate for a quantum of the cruelty and damage he's inflicted on the world, but it sometimes makes me smile when I remember how obviously deeply unhappy he is. One of the reasons it's so important he be voted out (albeit one way down the list) is the chance for world leaders to openly disdain him.

DJT =  a giant teleported space squid that is psychologically damaging millions of people.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
(12-19-2019, 03:36 PM)vtran Wrote: DJT =  a giant teleported space squid that is psychologically damaging millions of people.

But will this catastrophe bring us all closer together?
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Some of us will be closer after this calamity, but there will always be some people who think they'll gain power by sucking off the squid (dead or alive).

Maybe the psychic squids just want us to listen to them?

Sure, the listening causes brain hemorrhages... hmm, this is a better comparison to dumb racist republicans than I thought...
Gamertag: Tweakee
Redford 2020!
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I just emailed my senator, Pat Toomey, that if he doesn't vote to have Trump impeached and removed from office, then I can't wait to vote against him.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Goddamn, Pelosi's a fucking boss right now. Withholding the Articles of Impeachment, refusing to appoint House impeachment-managers for the Senate trial, and making Trump, Lindsey, and Mitch squirm and shriek and freak out like fucking crazy on live national television. Some of the most badass brinksmanship I've ever seen from a Democrat in the past...oh...30 years or so. Finally.

I hereby retract every negative thing I ever said about her over this past year, w/r/t Pelosi not starting up an impeachment-inquiry.

To paraphrase Joe Hallenbeck, what we've got here, junior, is Pelosi with Trump and Mitch by the nuts, and this is why I love America.
Acting Ukraine ambassador Bill Taylor just got fired by Trump:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politic...r-n1103196

Christianity Today, a leading evangelical magazine founded by Billy Graham, is surprisingly calling for Trump's removal from office:

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/201...ffice.html

Quote:But the facts in this instance are unambiguous: The president of the United States attempted to use his political power to coerce a foreign leader to harass and discredit one of the president’s political opponents. That is not only a violation of the Constitution; more importantly, it is profoundly immoral.

The reason many are not shocked about this is that this president has dumbed down the idea of morality in his administration. He has hired and fired a number of people who are now convicted criminals. He himself has admitted to immoral actions in business and his relationship with women, about which he remains proud. His Twitter feed alone—with its habitual string of mischaracterizations, lies, and slanders—is a near perfect example of a human being who is morally lost and confused.

Trump’s evangelical supporters have pointed to his Supreme Court nominees, his defense of religious liberty, and his stewardship of the economy, among other things, as achievements that justify their support of the president. We believe the impeachment hearings have made it absolutely clear, in a way the Mueller investigation did not, that President Trump has abused his authority for personal gain and betrayed his constitutional oath. The impeachment hearings have illuminated the president’s moral deficiencies for all to see. This damages the institution of the presidency, damages the reputation of our country, and damages both the spirit and the future of our people. None of the president’s positives can balance the moral and political danger we face under a leader of such grossly immoral character.
Yeah, CT has been quietly edging away from the fascist wing of the conservative Evangelical movement for a while now. Be interesting to see if this moves any needles.
That Christianity Today article feels important. Honestly, it's a viewpoint I've been suspicious has been festering under the surface of the Right for some time now. If that's a trend starting, I believe we may really be getting somewhere.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I've said it a few times over the course of this thread, but I'm genuinely curious what will develop on the "Christian Right" landscape in the next couple years here. They've been joined at the hip with the GOP for so long that it's hard to even think of them as a separate movement, but it was very interesting to me to read about some internal conflicts that have been boiling over outside of the general public view for a while now, and seeing some things I'd been trying to make sense of for a good while suddenly click into place.

(Suffice to say, a whole lot of the grudges and tactics that the "alt-right" has exploited more generally were playing out there for years, but on the flip side, the over-eagerness of a few megalomaniacs to exploit their followers seems to have actually inspired some level of backlash for a change.)

I'm definitely not gonna hold my breath for anything, but man, if the evangelicals do go, the GOP is fucking done.