Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker (Post-Release Discussion)
TIE fighters in the OT didn’t have lightspeed capability, but presumably The First Order upgraded their fighters with it.
(12-22-2019, 05:14 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: TIE fighters in the OT didn’t have lightspeed capability, but presumably The First Order upgraded their fighters with it.

But they look exactly the same?  The whole thing is a crazy mess.

(12-22-2019, 05:17 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 05:14 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: TIE fighters in the OT didn’t have lightspeed capability, but presumably The First Order upgraded their fighters with it.

But they look exactly the same?  The whole thing is a crazy mess.

There’s been over 30 years between, I assume tech upgraded.

I don’t consider that a crazy mess. What I do consider a crazy mess is SNOKE WAS A CLONE WTF???
Who was the template for Snoke? Why were they still making Snoke clones a year after Kylo Ren took command of the First Order? Are there multiple Snokes still kicking around out there? #Snoketiplicity
Goddamn was this a wet fart of a ending for a franchise like Star Wars. Like that first scrawl where they  just reveal Palpatine is still alive for...reasons sets the tone.  It doesn’t matter whether you hate/love TLJ, this is a bad movie.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

That Kylo's ship gives off smoke exhaust while flying through outer space is the single most video gamey thing in the movie.
(12-22-2019, 05:14 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: TIE fighters in the OT didn’t have lightspeed capability, but presumably The First Order upgraded their fighters with it.

Yeah, this didn't bother me. It was kind of implied in TFA that the First Orders TIEs had at least limited lightspeed capability. Finn thought they'd be able to get completely away in a TIE Fighter, not just go land on Jakku, and the attack on Maz's place was made without them deploying from a capital ship. (though yes, it would've been nice if their design had been updated to reflect it. Vader's fighter clearly had a much larger engine section to contain its hyperdrive, First Order TIEs should've had something)

But them being able to follow the Falcon as it 'lightspeed skipped' was nonsense, since they shouldn't have had any idea where it was dropping out.
(12-22-2019, 05:47 PM)Fafhrd Wrote:

Yeah, this didn't bother me. It was kind of implied in TFA that the First Orders TIEs had at least limited lightspeed capability. Finn thought they'd be able to get completely away in a TIE Fighter, not just go land on Jakku, and the attack on Maz's place was made without them deploying from a capital ship. (though yes, it would've been nice if their design had been updated to reflect it. Vader's fighter clearly had a much larger engine section to contain its hyperdrive, First Order TIEs should've had something)

But them being able to follow the Falcon as it 'lightspeed skipped' was nonsense, since they shouldn't have had any idea where it was dropping out.

TLJ did establish that the FO had invented hyperspace tracking tech.
(12-22-2019, 03:54 PM)Overlord Wrote: Jumanji ticket in hand, saw this last night.  Didn't take the kids.  

Lots to unpack.  So.  Much.  Unpacking.  Collection of random thoughts:  

Overlord, you're the hero I needed. I pledge myself to your teachings.
I wanted to like this so much. No part of me wanted to be sitting in my seat frowning like a grumpy gus at the new mainline Star Wars movie. I wanted to be pumped up for the climax, not thinking "Jesus, I need another coffee".

As a dumb stupid space adventure movie, it's alright. Basically, it's Krull with a bunch of extra bullshit thrown in. Both movies have Liam Neeson, so my theory holds.

Let's be real, I'll watch this again in IMAX. I'll probably get the bluray too, but that's because I have a morbid fascination with mediocre scifi films that squandered their potential. I also own Alien: Covenant. This doesn't mean that TROS is 'good' in any way, shape or form.

JJ is responsible for 100% of this movie. There's no more room for excuses like "Force Awakens had to play it safe. So many new characters to introduce to a new generation of smartphone children. So much pressure! Kathleen Kennedy has mean hair! It wasn't his fault!". JJ wasn't under contract for this. Nobody put a blaster to his head and threatened him. It was all his choice. All the hack TV directors that have ever been, live IN HIM.

The editing was choppy, sure. But would MORE of this movie have helped? Uh, no. Have you seen the Force Awakens deleted scenes? I'm pretty sure we didn't miss anything.

I thought it was funny when my friend said he found the beginning hard to follow. I thought, "A JJ Disneywar? Hard to follow? Suuuure." Then we get to the Dry Dry Sand planet. "This is the O.G.'s ship!" The what now? "Yeah, it's Chojee's ship. The one we've been looking for." The who? The why? "It's Kogee's dagger. And his ship!" Uhhhh... "We'll be thrown into the Pits of Grimgrak for sure." How does Finn know about the Pits of Grimgrak? When has he been to Dry Dry Planet before?

Leia's scenes are completely ruined by knowing how they were made. I can't imagine them working in blissfull ignorance, either. All they had to work with was shots of her saying "Yes.", "No.", "The Sith!?", and "*noncommittal stare into the distance*"

Imagine if in Matrix Revolutions, they had decided to go nuts in the editing room instead of recasting The Oracle. Actually, a lot of this movie reminds me of Revolutions if the studio had forced rewrites at the last minute, and cut out all the cool stuff.

Ah, the Knights of Ren. They were born as the children of dodgy concept art sketches, and those blurbs on the back of action figure packages. Then they stood on that plateau one time while a helicopter got a neat shot for the trailer. Then they died, amidst muddily contrasted darkness, barely a scrap of choreography to their names.

Kylo's story is the worst of all. I can forgive almost all the other dumbness. I can't even get worked up about Expanded Universe Composite Palpatine. But they totally friggin blew it with Kylo. Let the past die, kill it if you have to...or not, just do the complete opposite of that. Just stand there and say "OK, The Past, I'll do whatever you tell me. You have ships, just like the ones I already have. Fuck it, whatever. "

The Force told me that when the space horses showed up, it was time for my bathroom break. So, I have no opinion on whatever the epic backstory worldbuilding for the Tribes Of The Horsepeoplemen was. Horses, not Fauthiers! Eat that Rian Johnson, we're making your spacehorses redundant.

I hope Kelly Marie Tran invests some of her couple hundred thousand (?) dollar paycheck, and tries to forget about how badly she got screwed here. Staying behind to analyze some schematics? That's almost as bad as the snub Agent Myers got in Hellboy 2.

I could go on, but I'm tired now, and I need to watch something better to cheer me up.
What a film. Fine, great, boring, perfect... between this and the podcast I’ve even re-evaluated ( but wil not re-watch, TLJ). It all fits. The walkback elements are in fun conversation with Johnson’s vision without negating it. None of this space shit is special, anyway, not since Chronicles of Riddick offered us a viable alternative. Everything about the action is great except the empty, modern, camera-always-moving approach of Abrams and everyone. All this cutting back and forth while people are talking... too obvious!

I agree with everything anyone says about this movie.

LOVED the projection stuff. Snatching necklaces and whatnot. You slash a barrel of beans and they spill elsewhere. ... aces.
I listened to the Scope on this first because I don’t care and am dead inside.

Now be honest, did anyone spot the John Williams cameo? Unprompted? I zoom too, friends

"If we can't be great, let's be truthful."- Sylvester Stallone, commenting the cinematic rendering of what a mounted .50-cal might do to the flesh of enemies in RAMBO.
I caught it unprompted!

I went "huh, was that ol Johnny Williams??? with an eyepatch???"
(12-22-2019, 05:35 PM)ska oreo Wrote: Goddamn was this a wet fart of a ending for a franchise like Star Wars. Like that first scrawl where they  just reveal Palpatine is still alive for...reasons sets the tone.  It doesn’t matter whether you hate/love TLJ, this is a bad movie.

The dead speak!

[Image: jMZrQpu.jpg]

In my darkest days, I will always be able to think of that and burst out laughing.

Mad respect to the Knight of Ren who was confident enough to bring a lacrosse stick to a lightsabre fight. I admired his moxy, if not his chances.

Re: TIEs in hyperspace - I get the complaint but if we can have fucking Death Star Destroyers now, giving a TIE a hyperdrive is the least implausible thing to worry about.
(12-22-2019, 05:55 PM)peterkapow Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 05:47 PM)Fafhrd Wrote:

TLJ did establish that the FO had invented hyperspace tracking tech.

It also established that they needed a capital ship to run it.
I kinda like THE DEAD SPEAK!

I mean, we've had one start with WAR!!
I thought the crawl was fun, but that first paragraph really should have been depicted in the actual movie. It's too big a buy-in.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
in a trilogy that began with a crawl that had stuff that should've been established in-movie... I'd say it's quite consistent! hahahaha
(12-22-2019, 07:41 PM)Nooj Wrote: in a trilogy that began with a crawl that had stuff that should've been established in-movie... I'd say it's quite consistent!  hahahaha

I hadn't made the connection between "The dead speak!" and Forwakens' "The Rebels are on the ropes once again, stop worrying it and just buy into it," but you're completely right.
(12-22-2019, 07:45 PM)Reasor Wrote:  Forwakens' "The Rebels are on the ropes once again, stop worrying it and just buy into it," but you're completely right.

that's more last jedi!  hahahaha

THE
FIRST
ORDER
REIGNS!

right, olord???
Oh, and Keri Russell never shows her face because the laws of Hollywood state that a male hero can't have a love interest played by an actress that's 3 years older. That would make Poe some kind of pervert.
Yeah, "THE DEAD SPEAK!" is actually a killer open... If Palpatine had been a twist from the previous film.

The scrawl is for the skipping the boring stuff, not the stuff we want on screen!
Gamertag: Tweakee
(12-22-2019, 05:25 PM)barry woodward Wrote: Who was the template for Snoke? Why were they still making Snoke clones a year after Kylo Ren took command of the First Order? Are there multiple Snokes still kicking around out there? #Snoketiplicity

You see, that's Sneak and Snake in the tank.
Thinking back on this movie as I suspected it begins to unravel very quickly.

Why end the movie with Rey on the Skywalker farm? She's never been there. Luke never told her about his childhood there on screen. She as a character has literally zero reasons to look at Lukes farm home that he resented as some kind of reverent or important place. That scene is 1000 percent for the audience, and more specifically more the grown-ass adults who will cry at the imagery for the sake of it. It's the perfect summary of JJ's approach to Star Wars. Nonsensical bullshit purely for nostalgia purposes.
I mean it's not as if Tattooine is even known for cuisine or anything.
Was the farm abandoned or did Rey have to evict the current tenants?
(12-22-2019, 08:33 PM)Reasor Wrote: I mean it's not as if Tattooine is even known for cuisine or anything.
It's the electoral votes. Every four years, a whole caravan of politicians come through trying to voodoo up some mojo for their campaigns, and those spikes keep the local economy just this side of solvent.
(12-22-2019, 06:56 PM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: Staying behind to analyze some schematics?

Worst and rudest scene in the ST.

Such a shitty move it almost made me like Canto Bight out of spite.

Luckily JJ's editor cut to the next action scene about 0.34 seconds later so I got over it.
(12-22-2019, 08:46 PM)JMurdoch Wrote: Was the farm abandoned or did Rey have to evict the current tenants?

That's just it, the property has been abandoned for so long that sand has piled up in the doorways and whatnot. 

Which raises all sorts of questions.  What the hell is Rey's life here going to be?  What's she going to do with a property that nobody, not even the Sand People, thought was worth squatting in?  Is that moisture farm's hardware worth anything or not?  Is she going to run the place herself, when Owen used to use the need for labor to guilt trip Luke?  Who maneuvered to the top of the local socioeconomic ladder after Jabba died?  Why is a woman who lives alone on this hellhole slaver planet burying her only weapons in the front yard?  Where did the nosy neighbor lady come from?
I didn't really take it that she was going to stay, more like it was a pilgrimage to the home of the Skywalkers, as good a resting place as any to place their relics. Most likely Finn, Poe and the Falcon are 50ft away and ready to scoot off for adventures new but having them in the scene wouldn't have evoked the same feeling.
My favorite part was the old lady just wandering by, like half-buried desert farm is along the way to market.

I now know what TV spinoff I want to see: Bored Ex-Heroes, an anthology of what all these galaxy-saving heroes do when the saving is done. Rey travels the stars, burying space junk in places she's never been, giving fake identities to every rando she meets. Poe goes through his little black book, getting shot down by ladies and gents of 17 different species. Finn tries to win Rey's heart by stalking her relentlessly, oblivious to the dozens of women stalking him, until each time Lando swoops in and rescues them... sensually. Chewie becomes a private detective.
Gamertag: Tweakee
It's definitely a pretty amusing notion having the Disney Wars flagship end with burying the nostalgia relics like they aren't just going to keep flogging nostalgia relics until the entire thing is strip-mined clean and there's not a single person left on the face of the planet who can be induced to give them another few bucks for the sake of some nostalgia relics being waved in their face.
(12-22-2019, 09:31 PM)UltraAnxiety Wrote: I didn't really take it that she was going to stay, more like it was a pilgrimage to the home of the Skywalkers, as good a resting place as any to place their relics. Most likely Finn, Poe and the Falcon are 50ft away and ready to scoot off for adventures new but having them in the scene wouldn't have evoked the same feeling.

That’s pretty much how I took it. She didn’t bring anything along to settle in. It’s probably the closest home Luke had his whole life as he was always on the move, and for Leia her home planet was blown up so might as well have her saber buried with her bro’s.

But of course the real life reason was to end on the sunsets.
(12-22-2019, 09:37 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: It's definitely a pretty amusing notion having the Disney Wars flagship end with burying the nostalgia relics like they aren't just going to keep flogging nostalgia relics until the entire thing is strip-mined clean and there's not a single person left on the face of the planet who can be induced to give them another few bucks for the sake of some nostalgia relics being waved in their face.

Just wait until they reboot Luke, Leia, Han and Vader.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Reboot the prequels!

Reimage that story into something good!
I want the opening scene of the next Disney Wars to just be someone going out to the old Lars homestead and digging up the lightsabers, then being all "this will begin to set things right!"