Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STAR WARS: THE MANDALORIAN starring Pedro Pascal (Disney+)
So can someone spoiler space why you need to have seen Clones/Rebels to understand the last shot? Seemed like an Imperial Sith with a weird lightsaber, to me.... Mysterious, maybe, but not particularly confusing. Would make sense why he wants the foundling.

Never thought that a dude hand-to-hand fighting a Tie fighter was something I needed in my life, but turns out it was!
It's the dark saber, an ancient black lightsaber sacred to the Mandalorians. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Darksaber/Legends
That opening with the troopers was WAY too cute. Felt like one of those fanfilms, like TROOPS, or something. Spending five minutes purely on comedy is a questionable choice when screentime for this series is at a premium.

Other than that, though, great episode!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(12-27-2019, 02:50 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: That opening with the troopers was WAY too cute.  Felt like one of those fanfilms, like TROOPS, or something.  Spending five minutes purely on comedy is a questionable choice when screentime for this series is at a premium.

Premium shmemium Belloq! 

You're talking about the cheapest scene in the whole series production-wise Belloq!

Give Taika his own series Belloq!
The handling of Kuiil's death felt kind of perfunctory. Yeah, he got a proper burial, but it still felt like an aside. Otherwise, no complaints. It was a great finale to a great first season.
(12-27-2019, 03:54 PM)Bucho Wrote: Premium shmemium Belloq! 

You're talking about the cheapest scene in the whole series production-wise Belloq!

Give Taika his own series Belloq!

I meant more that these are all short episodes, so every moment counts!

The scene would have been just fine at half the length!
I enjoyed it. You could've lost the shooting bit, I guess, but since it was Sudeikis, it was like his snl two A-Holes sketch, in a Star War, and they got their just desserts. IG slamming one of them into the speeder was great.
Absolutely loved the finale. The action and the humor was perfectly mixed IMHO. I cheered when Mando got the jetpack, what a nice moment.

That final shot was awesome! Bring on Season 2!
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Fan-fuckin'-tastic. I think it's unfortunate that stuff like the AT-ST, Amy Sedaris, and prison episodes *does* feel like filler when you're jonesing for the main plot to move forward, but that's no fault of them. Oh for a universe where Favreau or Waititi handled Episode IX.

I was a wee bit sceptical of this series when it was announced - it seemed like it was trading on a lazy Boba Fett riff - but that was me being stupid, and they really knocked it out of the park.

Moff Gideon's one kickass baddie. I was gutted when it looked like he'd died and, er, so close on the back of TROS, wasn't sure where Star Wars's head was at when it came to keeping characters with a lot more mileage in them alive.
Sanctuary is less of a departure from the key thread than The Gunslinger or The Prisoner, because it established the vital notion that it wasn't going to be so easy for Mando do just drop the kid off at the first friendly farmlet he came across, and also brought ongoing character Cara Dune into the fold.

But I've never had a problem with "filler" eps of good shows. Some of my favourite Cowboy Bebop and Clone Wars and Firefly eps are "filler". Because I'm a very, very sophisticated motherfucker who cares about character and world-building, and not just plot.

SNARK ATTACK REX!!!
I'm not ruling out another Taika Waititi voiced IG bot showing up just yet.

Also fully expect the surviving cast to show up again. Carl's got a stew goin.
(12-27-2019, 07:58 PM)Bucho Wrote: Sanctuary is less of a departure from the key thread than The Gunslinger or The Prisoner, because it established the vital notion that it wasn't going to be so easy for Mando do just drop the kid off at the first friendly farmlet he came across, and also brought ongoing character Cara Dune into the fold.

But I've never had a problem with "filler" eps of good shows. Some of my favourite Cowboy Bebop and Clone Wars and Firefly eps are "filler". Because I'm a very, very sophisticated motherfucker who cares about character and world-building, and not just plot.

SNARK ATTACK REX!!!

Don't get me wrong, I liked those episodes and am glad the show took the approach it did, but because I'm primed to expect constant 'arc' momentum in this world of intensely serialised and/or binge-released shows, part of me was always 'oh, when are they gonna get to the Herzog and Esposito factory?' 

There's a lot to be said for the TV stand-alone episode too, as a medium. It's got heaps of value outside of 'we need case of the week episodes to let normies tune in'. The X-files/Buffy/Doctor Who model The Mandalorian uses (and it's more serialised than them) is a lovely one.
THIS. SHOW. IS. SO. GOOD.
With under 30 minutes of screentime, IG-11 managed to have a more engaging and satisfying character arc than anything JJ vomited out last week, even if it you could just reduce it to T2: Abridged Version.

Thos two fucks who punched the baby got off lightly imo.
(10-04-2018, 03:05 AM)freeman Wrote: This show will be a big "eh."

(12-28-2019, 08:56 AM)freeman Wrote: THIS. SHOW. IS. SO. GOOD.

What an arc.
Was Baby Yoda’s necklace emblem and Mando saying “I haven’t seen that in years” something referenced earlier in the series that I’ve forgotten about or just teeing up a season 2 mystery?
So I looked up the Darksaber background and ... I don’t care, I guess. It’s cool for the diehard cartoon watchers, but I’m much more interested in characterizations and narrative than yet more callbacks to old SW content. I thought it was just some gadget Moff Gideon had found or some piece of Imperial tech until I read the reviews after watching the episode.

What I was excited about was Esposito’s performance in that scene, and Waititi’s exceptional direction of that awesome last shot and the episode as a whole. I was excited about the well-shot action sequences and character choices, arcs, and consequences. I enjoyed the deepening of the Mandalorian background and creed. And I am enamored of what next season might bring. Including some Easter egg weapon for the villain is cool, but having a worthwhile villain is MUCH cooler.

Allow me to geek out over the quality storytelling in the Star Wars universe. And IG-11 balling out.
I'm not Avery.
(12-28-2019, 05:19 PM)Misfit Wrote: Was Baby Yoda’s necklace emblem and Mando saying “I haven’t seen that in years” something referenced earlier in the series that I’ve forgotten about or just teeing up a season 2 mystery?

The line was "I thought I'd never see that again," because he gave it to Cara in what he thought was his dying act.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(12-28-2019, 06:10 PM)first class 782 Wrote: So I looked up the Darksaber background and ... I don’t care, I guess.  It’s cool for the diehard cartoon watchers, but I’m much more interested in characterizations and narrative than yet more callbacks to old SW content.  I thought it was just some gadget Moff Gideon had found or some piece of Imperial tech until I read the reviews after watching the episode.

What I was excited about was Esposito’s performance in that scene, and Waititi’s exceptional direction of that awesome last shot and the episode as a whole.  I was excited about the well-shot action sequences and character choices, arcs, and consequences.  I enjoyed the deepening of the Mandalorian background and creed.  And I am enamored of what next season might bring.  Including some Easter egg weapon for the villain is cool, but having a worthwhile villain is MUCH cooler.

Allow me to geek out over the quality storytelling in the Star Wars universe.  And IG-11 balling out.

I'll allow it. I have seen most of the Clone Wars by now and I still don't get the big whoop about the darksaber either.

So far it seems more like a gimmick than anything else, but then I also felt the same way about Darth "Designed By 8 Year Olds" Maul and after The Phantom Menace everyone else seemed to love that guy and were bummed he was killed, so I guess I'm just some kind of weirdo [Sith Shrug].

I'm with you on all the other stuff though. It has its janky moments here and there but, overall, this show is made of win so far.
(12-28-2019, 06:59 PM)Bucho Wrote: I'll allow it. I have seen most of the Clone Wars by now and I still don't get the big whoop about the darksaber either.

The big whoop is "I know what that is! AT-STs! AT-STs! AT-STs!"
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(12-28-2019, 01:31 PM)barry woodward Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 03:05 AM)freeman Wrote: This show will be a big "eh."

(12-28-2019, 08:56 AM)freeman Wrote: THIS. SHOW. IS. SO. GOOD.

What an arc.

Well at least someone in a Star Wars is finally having a character arc.

Also, stop memorizing my posts you fucking creep.
I clicked on Page 1 of this thread for another purpose, saw your skeptical post and then saw your true believer post on the latest page. You've been Soloed.

From: "Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

To: "I used to wonder about that myself. Thought it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. A magical power holding together good and evil, the dark side and the light? Crazy thing is, it's true. The Force, the Jedi, all of it. It's all true."

(12-28-2019, 07:04 PM)hammerhead Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 06:59 PM)Bucho Wrote: I'll allow it. I have seen most of the Clone Wars by now and I still don't get the big whoop about the darksaber either.

The big whoop is "I know what that is! AT-STs! AT-STs! AT-STs!"

Ha! It's a fun comparison. The darksaber is just a different version of a lightsabers we already loved, and the AT-ST is just a different version of the AT-ATs we already loved.

I guess for me the darksaber seems like the kind of thing that sprang out of one of those "What colour lightsaber would you have?" conversations we used to have when we were 9. Or when we were Samuel L Jackson. That's where the Maul comparison comes from, because my line has always been that he seemed like Lucas basically went into a 3rd grade class and asked them what kind of Star Wars villain they'd like to see.

"The devil!"
"But with more horns!"
"And he has tiger stripes!"
"And yellow eyes!"
"And his lightsaber has TWO blades!"

In a way it's the same brush I tar JJ's Star Wars films with ... they seem like the Star Wars stories I used to write before I hit double digits. Either barely disguised copies like TFA or chaotic collections of "moves" like TROS. 

But back to whatever point I thought I was making at the top: Somehow the AT-STs don't feel like that to me, those things always just felt like a natural extension/evolution/relation to the AT-AT.

But also, like I said, I haven't gotten to S5 or S6 of The Clone Wars yet, or any of Rebels, so when it comes to the darksaber it's possible I just haven't seen the stories that make it really pop yet. And I'm open to it too, because I have seen the Clone Wars episodes which make Darth Maul become more than the gimmick he was in TPM. So I have hope. And word on the street is rebellions are built on hope.
(12-28-2019, 06:54 PM)hammerhead Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 05:19 PM)Misfit Wrote: Was Baby Yoda’s necklace emblem and Mando saying “I haven’t seen that in years” something referenced earlier in the series that I’ve forgotten about or just teeing up a season 2 mystery?

The line was "I thought I'd never see that again," because he gave it to Cara in what he thought was his dying act.

Jesus, I’m dumb. In my defense, I was watching the episode while living in terror I wasn’t going to make it through before my kid woke up from her nap.
The Darksaber is the only one of its kind. The Excalibur of the Mandalorians. This brief clip will catch you up on the lore:

(12-28-2019, 08:38 PM)barry woodward Wrote: The Darksaber is the only one of its kind. The Excalibur of the Mandalorians. This brief clip will catch you up on the lore:

Cheers Baz, I'll probably avoid watching this until I watch Rebels though.
It looks like we'll be getting a new character in season 2 who's a Gamorrean.

[Image: EM0aWo7VAAAyt0P?format=jpg&name=small]

Phil Szostak: "Gamorrean sculpt by the Lucasfilm art department's-own Tony McVey, creator of Salacious Crumb who also worked on the original Gammorean guards for #ReturnOfTheJedi."
Anything I knew of the Darksaber I knew from Rebels, and I squee'd the second it poked through the crashed ship. Makes perfect sense in a show about a Mandalorian! I'm already jonesing for season 2.
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
At first I just thought it was some utility tool. That final shot clearly set it up as something important though.
(12-27-2019, 02:50 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: That opening with the troopers was WAY too cute. Felt like one of those fanfilms, like TROOPS, or something. Spending five minutes purely on comedy is a questionable choice when screentime for this series is at a premium.

Yeah, between that scene and Thor: Ragnarok, I'm beginning to understand that "erring on the side of comedy" might just be my issue with Waititi at this point. It's especially surprising for me considering how well I thought he balanced comedy and pathos in Hunt for the Wilderpeople.
"It's delicious." “The unfolding disaster in Japan must produce a seismic shift in how we address nuclear safety here in America.” - Rep. Edward J. Markey, D-Mass
(12-28-2019, 09:57 PM)sherman davies Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 02:50 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: That opening with the troopers was WAY too cute.  Felt like one of those fanfilms, like TROOPS, or something.  Spending five minutes purely on comedy is a questionable choice when screentime for this series is at a premium.

Yeah, between that scene and Thor: Ragnarok, I'm beginning to understand that "erring on the side of comedy" might just be my issue with Waititi at this point. It's especially surprising for me considering how well I thought he balanced comedy and pathos in Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

Counterpoint: a bored biker scout pulling out his pistol and failing miserably at target practice, only to be followed up by his mate being equally inept was FUCKING HILARIOUS to me.  And having two guys in the same area but removed from the seriousness of what's going on a few miles up the road and therefore not being part of the same serious tone doesn't bother me in the slightest.  A couple of weeks ago, my wife was having an absolute blast playing Days Gone on the PS4 one Friday afternoon while an ambulance flew past and stopped 5 doors up the street where some random 58yo man was found dead in someone's front yard.  Same street, two completely different tones and situations.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
It WAS fucking hilarious, which is my issue - I dunno if I need my Star Wars to be that funny. It also didn't help matters that this series already did a "Stormtroopers are terrible shots" joke not too long before this one. That's a meta thing that I think should've stayed meta; the Empire becomes a lot less threatening if it's common knowledge in the galaxy that the face of their military can't hit the broad side of a barn.
"It's delicious." “The unfolding disaster in Japan must produce a seismic shift in how we address nuclear safety here in America.” - Rep. Edward J. Markey, D-Mass
(12-28-2019, 10:36 PM)sherman davies Wrote: It also didn't help matters that this series already did a "Stormtroopers are terrible shots" joke not too long before this one. That's a meta thing that I think should've stayed meta; the Empire becomes a lot less threatening if it's common knowledge in the galaxy that the face of their military can't hit the broad side of a barn.

This is kind of my issue. I don't mind the "Stormtroopers are terrible shots" thing being a running gag for the audience, but I don't need the show (or any other SW content) explicitly harping on it.
When you consider what the Darksaber means to the Mandalorians, the circumstances under which its ownership usually changes, and the fact that an Imperial officer who oversaw (or was at least present at) their purge is now in possession of it, it's a pretty big deal. It's like seeing Loki come casually strolling in with Mjolnir one day.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Plus it's a BLACK LIGHTSABER. With a katana looking blade. It's cool and one of a kind in Star Wars.