Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cats Pre-Release
WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU.
Dear Reasor and Tyres:

My friends have already considered seeing this and you’re only making my desire greater. As far as I’m not alone and sober, I’ll do it.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
(12-31-2019, 12:22 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: Dear Reasor and Tyres:

My friends have already considered seeing this and you’re only making my desire greater. As far as I’m not alone and sober, I’ll do it.

...and HunterTarantino?  That was the last that we ever saw of him.  He lives now...only in my memories.
(12-31-2019, 12:28 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: ...and HunterTarantino?  That was the last that we ever saw of him.  He lives now...only in my memories.

Well...

But

"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
(12-31-2019, 12:28 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(12-31-2019, 12:22 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: Dear Reasor and Tyres:

...and HunterTarantino?  That was the last that we ever saw of him.  He lives now...only in my memories.

I'll remember this if this proposed hate-watch ends up sending me on the path to Bartertown.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I saw this. It's a pretty huge swing and a miss, bad movie-wise, which is generally what I want from a bad movie. Like Battlefield Earth, that kind of gigantic misguided failure. I'm glad I saw it, although the act of watching was pretty unpleasant. Living in this world for an hour forty five is not fun.

Seems lazer-targeted on screwing up the sexual development of children. There'll be a whole swath of kids who watch this at the exact wrong time and they'll be fucked for life.

It's hard to say who humiliates themselves the most, although it's probably Idris Elba or Judi Dench. They're utterly debased by this. Probably because they've got so much innate dignity to strip away, compared to the likes of James Corden or Rebel Wilson, for whom it seems natural to be scratching their taint or wallowing in garbage.

The most impressive thing is that Ian McKellen does NOT embarrass himself. It's frankly miraculous, arriving as he does an hour into the film, which has thus far been nothing but a gauntlet of humiliation. Which is not say he's great or that his scene works, he's not and it doesn't. It just doesn't make me wince in pity. He's also fortunate enough to be wearing a big coat, and is never forced to shake his ass around, like everyone else.

As a theater dork, I've always known this show to be completely insane, with a mind-destroying score full of inane earworms about magical cats and their names. But it's been fun to see it get pulled out of the safe, forgiving world of musical theater and thrust in front of the general public. Its sad, Dancing-Homer-esque exposure as an obnoxiously twee fiasco has been quite the pleasure to rubberneck.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
McKellan was the one actor who spent the least amount of time at "cat school," which is a thing that I know now because I gazed into the Abyss.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
One reviewer has pointed out that while the rest of the cast is singing songs from Cats, McKellen is actually performing T.S. Eliot's prose.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I'm looking forward to the bad movie podcasts tackling this.
I can already hear June Diane Raphael and Jason Manzoukas fight about this movie and it is glorious.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
We Hate Movies hopefully will break the 10 year rule, or I'll just have to wait until 2029.
I actually don't think WHM will do it. It is a level of shit in a genre they hate they can't muster through. Unless noted contrarian Chris Cabin somehow loves this movie.
(01-01-2020, 04:40 PM)hammerhead Wrote: One reviewer has pointed out that while the rest of the cast is singing songs from Cats, McKellen is actually performing T.S. Eliot's prose.

That final epilogue bit where Judi Dench direct addresses the audience sounds very TS Eliot as well, and it in no way mitigates her shame.

WHM ought to do it. They've got a Worst of 2019 coming up.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(12-31-2019, 11:17 AM)MichaelM Wrote:
(12-31-2019, 09:17 AM)Reasor Wrote: Drinking games with the home DVD release of Cats will be how I evaluate whether people qualify to be my friends from now on.

What would the rules be?

Asking for a friend.

Every time there's a cat you take a drink.
I cannot believe that Universal bumped an Ariana Grande-led WICKED adaptation for this.

Also, you have Andy Blankenbuhler, one of probably the five best choreographers working, doing the choreography...and yet, Hooper chooses to shoot almost everything in a medium or close-up. To quote William Hurt, how do you fuck that up?

I've seen Robbie Fairchild (he was the grey cat that seemed to be in charge of everything) dance on stage, and he is a supremely impressive individual...who, like everyone else in this, was utterly underserved by the direction.

There are just...so many questions here.
home taping is killing music
At this point I'm just taking this as karmic backlash on the universe for the Academy snubbing Inception to fawn all over The King's Speech.
I still like THE KING’S SPEECH. Firth, Carter, and Rush are all amazing in it, regardless of the ‘point and shoot’ direction.

I’m more and more tempted to try and catch this theatrically. This thing has a notoriety to it that is rivaling BATTLEFIELD EARTH and I kinda want to have a claim of ‘I saw this thing and survived to tell the tale.’
I really like THE KING'S SPEECH (I watch it about once a year, and I think Hooper has some pretty smart directorial choices), but I think the last decade of Tom Hooper having to hear about the travesty of Social Network losing to it (and it is a travesty) really got under that man's skin.
I went to a late showing of this last night

I admired how something so misguided could be made, but since the show has no narrative drive for me to latch onto, I dozed off for more than half of it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vfx/comments/ee...=post_body

https://www.reddit.com/r/vfx/comments/ef...ts_fiasco/
(01-02-2020, 10:26 AM)boone daniels Wrote: I cannot believe that Universal bumped an Ariana Grande-led WICKED adaptation for this.

Also, you have Andy Blankenbuhler, one of probably the five best choreographers working, doing the choreography...and yet, Hooper chooses to shoot almost everything in a medium or close-up. To quote William Hurt, how do you fuck that up?

I've seen Robbie Fairchild (he was the grey cat that seemed to be in charge of everything) dance on stage, and he is a supremely impressive individual...who, like everyone else in this, was utterly underserved by the direction.

There are just...so many questions here.

Fairchild does heroic work, trying to carry this terrible thing.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber

Well, I be darned. Not an episode, but a full blown commentary.
It's very important that you all know Macavity's not there.

That must've been one hell of a dump truck of money they backed up to Elba's house. Shout-out to my audience, who were THERE FOR A GOOD TIME and sure had it.
I think my audience was nervous about upsetting someone who loved the thing as any laughter was muted, but by about 40 minutes in, the atmosphere broke as we all understood what we were watching.
There's something special about being a part of an audience that 'turns' on a film.  That happened in JACK REACHER: NEVER GO BACK and it was pretty wonderful.  The best was 50 SHADES OF GREY, though.  Good God were there howls of derision.
(01-05-2020, 02:04 PM)MrTyres Wrote: I think my audience was nervous about upsetting someone who loved the thing as any laughter was muted, but by about 40 minutes in, the atmosphere broke as we all understood what we were watching.

This was similar to my experience, which was on New Year's Eve near Lincoln Center - didn't really start to get into it until the Mr. Mistoffelees song, at which point, by the end of it, they were all clapping along. The laughs came more frequently after that.
so jealous of those experiences!!
For me, the one to beat was Ultraviolet.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
From the second the cat cloud appears at the beginning of the film, my audience was roaring with laughter.

Anything Macavity did got the biggest howls (aside from Dench looking right at the camera for The Ad-Dressing of Cats), especially his kidnapping-teleportation. "Macavityyyyy....!!!"
My theater audience was pretty small so there wasnt any jeering. But there was a point where I started giggling and just could not stop.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

(01-05-2020, 07:04 PM)hammerhead Wrote: For me, the one to beat was Ultraviolet.

Tell us more!
(01-05-2020, 11:18 PM)Felix Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 07:04 PM)hammerhead Wrote: For me, the one to beat was Ultraviolet.

Tell us more!

It was a midnight staff screening, the night before it opened. People were predisposed to be rowdy, but by the halfway point we (those of us who hadn't bailed) were all just hollering at the screen as a way to stay engaged and/or awake. My prime contribution, the umpteenth time sliding doors parted to reveal Jovovich standing amid yet another pile of slaughtered guards, was "Ding! Third floor, shoes and slacks"
The biggest audience revolt I’ve ever seen was for Spider-man 3. That was like a reddit thread come to life.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN