Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Re-up Thread
(12-24-2019, 12:07 AM)call me roy Wrote: Phil Hartman as Saul Goodman

Nah, Hartman wouldn't have been oily enough.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
[Image: 234618.jpg]
Better Call Keyrock
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
I will submit that Hartman would have been a great and memorable Ted.
Just watched UNFORGIVEN (1992) for the first time in many years.

Still eminently watchable. Still upsetting. Still a classic.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(12-24-2019, 12:13 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: I will submit that Hartman would have been a great and memorable Ted.

Oh this is perfect. 

We should do a recast Breaking bad woththe 86-92 DNL lineup.

Who we got for Hank and Skylar?
(12-24-2019, 01:02 PM)call me roy Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 12:13 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: I will submit that Hartman would have been a great and memorable Ted.

Oh this is perfect. 

We should do a recast Breaking bad woththe 86-92 DNL lineup.

Who we got for Hank and Skylar?

Jan Hooks would be a great Skylar. If you weren't mistyping and indeed meant 86, Joan Cusack was in that cast and she'd be great as Skylar too. 

I dunno, as far as Hank, I can see Dennis Miller pulling off the condescending bluster (though in his case it would be condescending smarm) - way different character but it'd work.

Jon Lovitz doing Tommy Flanagan as Saul
Nora Dunn as Marie
Victoria Jackson as Huell
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Lovitz as Saul would be great.

My accidental late nite Christmas movie was WE ARE THE BEST!. I love the spirit of this movie so much. Like I was actually crying in the end. I hope the young girls/boys who discovered the movie this decade cherish it, hold it close, and word of mouth builds to a TIMES SQUARE/ FABULOUS STAINS cult.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

It's so damn great.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Phantasm.

A friend (and former Chewer) wants to go through the whole series and I've only caught the first two. You can make a strong case for why it casts a shadow with horror fans. The $300,000 budget spreads out quite well. Don Coscarelli has so much ambition in his aesthetic, refusing to settle for the conventional... which I'd say is this movie's weakness.

See, the acting is hideous. Reggie Bannister and Angus Scrimm make imprints on the story, but everyone else is robotic. You can sense there's someone off-camera holding up enormous cue cards. Also, this is probably an issue watching it sober, but it makes no goddamn sense in the midst of its billowy pacing... so yeah, it's not as scary as it was in college.

Anyway, I remember thinking the second one was the Aliens of B-movie horror, so I've got hopes that I'll respond better there.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Get Shorty.

Good god was my memory on this shot. While it doesn't ascend to the levels of Jackie Brown or Out of Sight, the verisimilitude of Elmore Leonard's work couldn't be better represented. The murderer's row of A-listers and character actors are committed to making you forget who they are, which is a testament to Scott Frank's mesmerizing handle on Leonard's dialogue. John Travolta's Pulp Fiction charm has barely cooled off. Hackman, Russo, and DeVito at the top of their game. Delroy Lindo and Dennis Farina are so convincingly slimy you'd think they were actually real-life criminals. A performance I sadly forgot was Bette Midler as Hackman's other mistress. John Lurie's Elfman Midnight Run-derived score is definitive of the decade.

Without Tarantino, it's likely that we wouldn't have had this renaissance of Leonard adaptations. After all, the thick of the plot is quite tangled, and you realize how similar the players of both writers' universes speak. If there's one complaint, the plot is secondary to the dialogue, but that's a minor quibble considering the charisma this one bleeds.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I believe I prefer Get Shorty to both Jackie Brown and Out of Sight. It’s just more concerned with being an adult comedy than it is a crime film, and it absolutely aced being an adult comedy. The bloom might be off a bit due to Be Cool, but the original is almost perfect at what it’s trying to be. Hackman gives the kind of Beta dork performance I wouldn’t have thought he had in him, and Dennis Farina delivers one of the funniest character actor performances of the decade.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Out of the three, I have to go with Out of Sight.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Speaking of OUT OF SIGHT...

I don't think I mentioned revisiting HUSTLERS right before CHRISTMAS. Jennifer Lopez is amazing: tough yet endearing, erotic and cool. Her best thing she's done since her blazing late 90's run.

Movie almost pulls off being a 'chick' GOODFELLAS.

It would play great in a empowerment double bill with SUPPORT THE GIRLS.

I think it was Dellamorte that said what makes HUSTLERS great is that, after the set up, it's never the movie you expect it to be.

Farina is at the top of his game. He’s practically spitting bratwursts with that Chicago accent.
GET SHORTY is a classic in my book, vying with PULP FICTION as my favorite Travolta performance and film.
I know, HUSTLERS really is that good.

(12-30-2019, 06:21 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: GET SHORTY is a classic in my book, vying with PULP FICTION as my favorite Travolta performance and film.

The more I've thought about it in the last 24 hours, I've gotten a lot more enthusiastic about it.

You're right that Travolta is cut loose. I'm a pretty massive fan of his stuff, although his A-list prospects drop post-Face/Off. I enjoy Gotti and The Fanatic as comedies though. It's also a worthwhile watch for people of my generation (or, likely, younger) to see that Danny DeVito is a lot more than Frank Reynolds.

Is Be Cool as wretched as I presume?
It ain’t good. If I recall correctly, The Rock comes off pretty well.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
He's the best thing in it.
Nothing says Christmas quite like Dirty Harry, so I spent the last week re-watching all 5 films.

1. DIRTY HARRY: Still the best of the lot. It’s amazing to watch this and see how fully and completely formed the character of Harry is right from his first appearance. His movements, his facial mannerisms, his speech cadence...it’s all there and it’s great. The plot is strong with a great bad guy in Scorpio, easily the best bad guy in all of the films.

2. MAGNUM FORCE: I used to be pretty down on this one but now I’m thinking it’s the second best entry. The main reason why it’s risen in my estimation is David Soul...he’s got such a strong, icy presence in this film as (arguably) the main rookie cop that he provides a lot of gravitas to the film. Hal Holbrook is really strong here as well.

3. THE ENFORCER: I used to be pretty down on this one as well but it’s actually better than I remember it. The one real misstep is with Tyne Daly...they don’t commit enough to her character to make the ending feel earned. She’s fine but it’s like the makers are afraid to make this film a buddy picture when it’s clearly just another Dirty Harry film. All that said, Clint is great here.

4. SUDDEN IMPACT: Another one which was better than I recalled. It’s probably the most ‘action sequence heavy’ of the franchise, constantly throwing random scenes of Harry being a badass at you; the good news is that most of them work. The humor is also pretty strong. I’m not as keen on the plot In this one, but it’s a situation where the individual parts are good enough to make the film pretty satisfying.

5. THE DEAD POOL: I remembered this one being pretty good. I was wrong. Apart from the really well done car chase/homage to BULLITT, the film’s a dud. The tone is completely off and everyone is hamming it up too much. Clint is fine and Patricia Clarkson is strong, but everyone else just feels like they’re in a different movie. I used to put this one in the middle of the pack but now It’s definitely on the bottom.

Rankings:
1. DIRTY HARRY
2. MAGNUM FORCE
3. SUDDEN IMPACT
4. THE ENFORCER
5. THE DEAD POOL.

Funny...that’s almost the actual release order.

Also, I watched MIDNIGHT RUN with my wife the other night. She’d never seen it and it’d been probably 25 years since my last viewing. Holy cow does this film hold up. It’s just a great movie from beginning to end. It’s too bad we never got DeNiro and Grodin together again because they really have great chemistry in this.

My wife LOVED this.
MIDNIGHT RUN? Paging huntertarantino! (It's a great film. Love reading about anyone experiencing it and recognizing that.)

So Eastwood's THE GAUNTLET isn't a Dirty Harry movie? Man, I've been remembering that wrongly for decades!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Nope, THE GAUNTLET is its own thing. Having watched it recently (it’s not very good, to be honest), it’s probably an easy re-write away from being a DH movie.

As I recall, THE ROOKIE (which came out after THE DEAD POOL) could/should have been a DH movie as well.
The one thing that's interesting about at least the first four Dirty Harry films is that each is a bit of a response to the previous. DIRTY HARRY was accused of being akin to fascist propaganda (which I've never bought, but whatever!), so MAGNUM FORCE puts Harry up against an actual fascist "secret death police" operation, which then leads to a turn towards evil, jaded hippies for THE ENFORCER, and then back to a pure vigilante as the semi-antagonist of SUDDEN DEATH.

That's how you keep a franchise like this fresh -- always give Harry something new to face off against.

But then there's THE DEAD POOL. At least Jim Carrey and Liam Neeson pop up.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(01-02-2020, 11:07 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: The one thing that's interesting about at least the first four Dirty Harry films is that each is a bit of a response to the previous.  DIRTY HARRY was accused of being akin to fascist propaganda (which I've never bought, but whatever!), so MAGNUM FORCE puts Harry up against an actual fascist "secret death police" operation, which then leads to a turn towards evil, jaded hippies for THE ENFORCER, and then back to a pure vigilante as the semi-antagonist of SUDDEN DEATH.

That's how you keep a franchise like this fresh -- always give Harry something new to face off against.

But then there's THE DEAD POOL.  At least Jim Carrey and Liam Neeson pop up.

That’s a great observation on the first four movies, Belloq.  Spot on.

THE DEAD POOL is such an odd movie.  Clint is clearly playing Dirty Harry in it (he’s very much in character) but the movie surrounding him feels like a parody of a DH film.  It’s just tonally off.  Evan Kim is playing his character of the partner strictly for laughs, you’ve got Carrey and Neeson going really broad with their acting choices, and you’ve got Patricia Clarkson playing her role totally seriously.  It’s all in conflict and nothing gels.  There are some good moments here and there but the film is just...no.

I remembered it being much better than it was.
Agree right on with those rankings. THE DEAD POOL is not good at all. All that build-up to who is behind the list and it turns out to be... some guy.

I'll disagree about Tyne Daly in THE ENFORCER. The interplay between her and Clint is all that makes that movie watchable. The villains in that one are a huge nothing.
The villains really are rather blah in THE ENFORCER, and I find it really hard to believe that they’d be able to take over Alcatraz without anyone noticing.

My issue with Tyne Daly is with her story balance. On one hand, you’ve got a Dirty Harry movie where he’s the star. On the other hand, the film is a buddy movie where you’re trying for a fun dynamic between Clint and Tyne. The film doesn’t commit to either Path. The thing is, Tyne Daly is really, really good in this to the point that I wish she’d had more screen time/presence in the story itself. Her death at the end is sad but it lacks the punch that it could have had if she’d had more time in the story to connect.

Oh, and I started watching MAD MAX 2/THE ROAD WARRIOR last night. It’s been a few years. This is the first time that I’ve noticed the nude woman/picture on the gyrocopter tail. It was a definite ‘wait a minute’ pause/rewind situation to be sure that I was correct in It being there.
I have this instant, irrational reaction to Tyne Daly. I'm sure she's a talented actor and fine human being but I can't watch anything in which she has a starring role.

(01-02-2020, 11:53 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I have this instant, irrational reaction to Tyne Daly. I'm sure she's a talented actor and fine human being but I can't watch anything in which she has a starring role.

Daly has a very distinctive demeanor/presence/presentation.  I'm not sure if it's an acting choice or just her regular thing but it's always there, and sometimes it really grates on me.  It worked in THE ENFORCER and it worked on CAGNEY AND LACEY (one of my mother's 'must watch' television shows of the 80s) but it's not worked in other things.
My wife and I rang in the New Year with Hard Target! And while I still enjoyed it quite a bit, I think I may have built it up in my head a bit since the 90s. It’s great for a VanDamne film. The clear highlight is Henriksen and Vosloo, with performances that feel like Robocop villains. And of course, Woo having a blast with Louisiana swamp iconography. The motorcycle jousting against an SUV sequence and the Madrid Gras factory finale are delirious.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(01-02-2020, 12:11 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: My wife and I rang in the New Year with Hard Target! And while I still enjoyed it quite a bit, I think I may have built it up in my head a bit since the 90s. It’s great for a VanDamne film. The clear highlight is Henriksen and Vosloo, with performances that feel like Robocop villains. And of course, Woo having a blast with Louisiana swamp iconography. The motorcycle jousting against an SUV sequence and the Madrid Gras factory finale are delirious.

I love Vosloo in this.  Rarely do you see an actor having that much fun playing a bad guy.
TARGET is one of Woo’s best, and I’m not going with that “among his Hollywood best” hokum. It’s right there with his other heavy hitters. Wildly entertaining.
HARD TARGET makes me sad about Yancy Butler.