Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY - An Actual Post-Release Thread
(12-21-2018, 06:33 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: This is the thinkoblogotweetosphere, Overlord. Words don't mean things and you don't have to make any sense as long as you sound confident in your non-point.

I guess so.

I particularly love it when blogsters say that their random opinions/conclusions are true with zero citation or even specific textual support.  Then they just spin off into random flights of fancy that are built upon those initial random opinions/conclusions.
I'm a few Bartblogs behind, but perhaps Saw is meant to be a contrast to Vader in the sense that the two share a lot of similarities in presentation while occupying opposite ends of the Good Guy/Bad Guy spectrum.
(12-21-2018, 06:39 PM)schwartz Wrote: I'm a few Bartblogs behind, but perhaps Saw is meant to be a contrast to Vader in the sense that the two share a lot of similarities in presentation while occupying opposite ends of the Good Guy/Bad Guy spectrum.

The paragraph says: 

"having lost limbs and needing a breathing apparatus, not unlike General Grievous who was also written as a spiritual predecessor to Vader."

So, no ... it isn't about "good guy/bad guy," it's about physical limitations/devices. Or, if my interpretation of the passage's meaning is wrong, the entire thing is just a mess of confusing verbiage.
You weren't supposed to grade Bart's writing, you were supposed to argue about whether The Empire is the British one or the American one or the Dutch one.
That girl in that video up above.

MARRY ME
Oh man there’s one girl in one of these review channels that I want to marry - she’s with some some chubby bloke (a bit like myself) and a load of swords and armour. She’s the cutest most adorable girl ever.

Anyway, carry on.
(12-21-2018, 07:50 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: That girl in that video up above.

MARRY ME

No.  She's mine.
It said she's Mormen. That means she can have multiple husbands right??
[Image: 3l87xb.jpg]

TFA
TLJ
TROS
Even fucking SOLO was better than the dreary ROGUE ONE.
What Stocks said.

Rogue One has a good third act. I KNOW you're not going to start pretending the first 2/3's of that fucking movie are some classic Overlord get right to fuck and rent a nice room there.
(01-05-2020, 02:31 AM)freeman Wrote: What Stocks said.  

Rogue One has a good third act.  I KNOW you're not going to start pretending the first 2/3's of that fucking movie are some classic Overlord get right to fuck and rent a nice room there.

I mean, you can go read my review right here in this very thread (page 16 or so).  I don't think I've ever really changed my position that the first 40-50% of the film never quite works.  But it works well enough to set up an A++ final 50-60%

The third act was just as boring, and stupid (“badass” Vader scene).
I certainly like Rogue One the most.

Of the movies. Mandalorian is even better.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
ROGUE ONE is easily the best of Disney Wars, muddled first act, unnecessary necromancy, tacked on Vader attack and all.
Rogue One and Solo are the best Star Wars prequels.
gross schwartz gross!

more like a muddled first two acts!
On the second viewing The Vader bit is actually a lot better staged than I remembered it.
I remembered it as this tacked on looking thing that was almost one shot of Vader carving dudes up on the way towards camera, in a narrow corridor that looks like it was thrown together at the last minute.
My memory had changed the production to match its place in the story.

RO is still the best and most Star Wars-y looking Star War since the originals. (Abrams isn't too bad. How plasticy and blandly staged and shot a lot of Last Jedi is is still kind of shocking to me and makes me more inclined to find fault with the film)
strange, I think last jedi is the one that feels closest to the original trilogy while also touching upon the best of the prequels' aesthetics

it's more classically and theatrically staged than JJ's michael-bay-like erratic oversaturation or rogue one's 'slick gritty desaturation''.

it's closest to honoring EMPIRE's elegance
I agree the last act of Rogue One is the best, but I really don't have any trouble with the first two. If the film has any real issue for me, it's that I want more of these characters. More Chirrut and Baze, more Tudyk-bot, more Mendelsohn, more of them all. I like the Erso family stuff very much, I enjoy Forest Whitaker's crazy insane goofery, along with his mind-devouring slug pet. I love the Imperials playing office politics and backstabbing one another. I like that planet with the giant horizontal Jedi stone carving.

What I think elevates it above space adventure hokum is the sense that we're seeing some of the incalculable human cost of the original trilogy's space adventure hokum. A bunch of oppressed people living secret lives within this bizarre Space Dictatorship, devoting their whole lives to the idea of freedom for future generations, which they all die in the process of achieving. I kind of love this movie.

What's more, I don't see the issues anyone else has brought up. I don't even think it's particularly choppy or muddled. It's only gone up in my estimation over rewatches.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
The Last Jedi is the best of DisneyWars.

I'm not doing this with you fucking weirdos.
(01-05-2020, 03:42 AM)freeman Wrote: The Last Jedi is the best of DisneyWars.

I'm not doing this with you fucking weirdos.

It is. It really is.
No, it's Rogue One!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
it's THE DIRECTOR AND THE JEDI!
(01-05-2020, 03:50 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: No, it's Rogue One!

"Save the Rebellion! SAVE THE DREAM!"

"Why don't you come with us?"

"I mean... You know, I'm just kinda tired of it all, ya know?"

"So you've decided now, of all times, to commit suicide? We're facing off against the worst threat imaginable and you've spent your life fighting the Empire. You don't want to live to see this Super weapon fall?"

"All this rebellion has just kind of tuckered me out. You know?"
He's got METAL LEGS, Freeman. You gonna run through a collapsing sand base with metal legs? No, you'll just get everyone killed.

It's like you people have never seen a Star Wars movie before.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(01-05-2020, 03:26 AM)Nooj Wrote: strange, I think last jedi is the one that feels closest to the original trilogy while also touching upon the best of the prequels' aesthetics

I really don't see how anyone can argue that anything other than Rogue One is the closest looking DisneyWars film product to the OT ...

for the stuff with the ships during the finale, sure

But I'm talking about the overall visual language of the cinematography (lighting, staging, editing, etc) and the impressive scale consulting. Those were not at all shot like the original trilogy. I mean, isn't that what was striking about the look of the film? If it was that close to the original trilogy, I don't think it'd be that striking.
(01-05-2020, 04:00 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: He's got METAL LEGS, Freeman. You gonna run through a collapsing sand base with metal legs? No, you'll just get everyone killed.

It's like you people have never seen a Star Wars movie before.

How are metal legs not better than real legs?! This world has robot hands that are better and STRONGER than normal limbs!
I would put forth that if looking and feeling like the OT is the metric, the easy choice would be TFA. Their entire thing with that one was to make it look and feel like the OT.

But really, we won’t know for sure until someone counts the wipe transitions.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
If we're picking RotJ as the end point to jump off from, I think RO carries that torch exactly as one would expect, without falling in to over complication or incoherence (not talking narrative clumsiness here) unlike many other cinematic sucessors (Star War and non-Star War alike)

TLJ really had this feel of being staged in a 2d video game world where people had prescribed planes where they can move. That's probably an unfair takeaway in the details, but that is what it left me with overall: An inability to imaginatively contend with space, in all senses of the word. (its stiffness is more inline with the prequel trilogy in that regard)
Now, Empire and RtJ aren't wildly complicated films a lot of the time, in a story or staging sense, so it's fine for TLJ to be simplistic also. But the older films managed to conceal it (as well as juggling multiple concurrent scenarios a whole more elegantly).

This doesn't really surprise me as there was plenty in Looper, for example, that made Johnson's feel a bit stiff when he should have loosened up. But at the time you have to wonder if it could be put down to budget constraints (turns out, it just might not be his bag).
It feels "stagey" to me in a way the others do not, even when they are being arguably more static and simple. It's a close run thing that some could argue is thematic as much as flaws in directorial ability, I suppose. Still, however actually corny and simple the older films are, there's a realism to them they manage to build. TLJ notably started to break that in my viewing (ROtS might actually be worse. I haven't seen it yet. People keep turning me off. In context TLJ might start to improve in my estimation).
TFA has so much of JJ's personality in it tho. Lots of endlessly flying around cameras and a sort of manic energy that the OT did not quite have that gets dialed up to the point of absurdity in this new film.

Once again, JJ is good at imitation but he usually kind of misses the point of what he's imitating. Rian is making a movie MUCH more in line with the pacing and the rythms of the OT.

Every time I think of JJ's directing style I think of the scene in Super 8 where the kids are planning what to do and the scene where Alice Eve and the Doc have to hack the torpedo in Into Darkness. A simple exposition scene and what should be a very intense bomb diffusal scene, but JJ is obnoxiously cranking around and panning and whipping the camera every which fucking way the entire time for both moments.

THEY'RE GOING TO GET BORED MOVE YOUR FUCKING ASS CAMERA!!!!!
I mean, if we want to talk about awkward staging and unimaginative geography, the climax of TFA is that in a nutshell. It so badly wants to evoke both the trench-run sequence from ANH and the massive space-Midway battle from ROTJ, but J.J. can't be assed to sit down and figure out where his players are, where they're going, or what the fuck they're even trying to accomplish any more than he can be assed to figure out anything else about his own damn movie, so the end result is nothing more than a big mosquito-swarm of spaceships milling around in the middle distance and shooting each other at random, intercut with the Longest Telegraph Ever.
There's plenty I find stiff and pedestrian about TFA as well (Or relatively simple things happening on a huge canvas thats swirling about). If we were to argue that Johnson was simply carrying the torch handed to him by Abrams, only more so (or less so. sorry), I can see a case for that.
Back when Poe wasn't even in the movie anymore by that point what was that sequence going to be?

Literally just extras flying around we cut to now and then?

(01-05-2020, 04:48 AM)muzman Wrote: There's plenty I find stiff and pedestrian about TFA as well (Or relatively simple things happening on a huge canvas thats swirling about). If we were to argue that Johnson was simply carrying the torch handed to him by Abrams, only more so, I can see a case for that.

I mean that's kind of the case. As much as people go blue in the face saying that TLJ threw all of TFA out, it early didn't. He had to "yes and" every single stupid incomprehensible story JJ setup in a way that made sense.