Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Dead Celebrity Thread
Absolutely gutted about Peart. I only got to see RUSH live once and it was experience I'll never forget. His drum solo was just extraordinary. This one hurts so damn much.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
[Image: EN86buBW4AADRol.jpg]
Fuck fuck fuck. I've got 5 Rush live DVDs, got to throw one on tonight.

He's a top 10 all time rock drummer, probably top 5. Big band jazz influence on his prog style like another top 5er, Bill Bruford.

When I think "drums", one of the fills from Limelight or Subdivisions is the first thing to pop into my head.

RIP Neil.
Neil wrote a touching book about dealing with the loss of both his daughter and wife in the course of a year. How he would ride his motorcycle between shows instead of being on the bus with the band. Made me really respect the man separately from his work as a musician. Sorry to hear he’s gone. He had a lot of pain in his life.
This hurts. Rush is still one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

Quote:[url=https://twitter.com/jonwurster][/url]@jonwurster
I can’t help thinking he’s chuckling somewhere knowing hundreds of bands with gigs tonight are trying to figure out “an easy Rush song.”
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(01-10-2020, 06:55 PM)mike j Wrote: This hurts. Rush is still one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

Absolutely one of my favorite songs by the band.
I spent so much time holed up in my basement during high school fumbling through Rush songs on bass.
Another great one from that same album, ROLL THE BONES.  I always loved this album because they got funky on it.

Love Neil's drumming here:

(01-10-2020, 06:48 PM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: He's a top 10 all time rock drummer, probably top 5. Big band jazz influence on his prog style like another top 5er, Bill Bruford.

....and, uh, Bill Ward.  Confused

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
Gutted. Fucking gutted.

I'm definitely a latter days Rush fan; for me, the string of albums from Signals to Presto represents a nearly unbroken string of goddamn classic albums, packed with songs that have aged, for the most part, beautifully.

Peart was such a master lyricist. For one creative writing class in college, the professor determined that the lyrics for at least one of their songs had been written in iambic pentameter.

"Subdivisions" and "The Analogy Kid", no joke, helped me get through junior high and high school with most of my sanity intact.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
One of the greatest. Rush is getting alot of play in my house tonight. RIP.
From a selfish fans perspective, my only real solace is that as a band, they were done. We weren't getting any new Rush albums.

But it's still a gut punch.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

In retrospect, I have to wonder how much of that decision had to do with Peart's health, if this was really going on for three years. But yeah, at least they got to hang up their spurs by choice and end things on a good note...not something you can say for a lot of bands.
CLOCKWORK ANGELS, their last album and a full on concept album at that, was a hell of a way to bow out. They are absolute legends and Peart was the thundering heart.

Goddamn it this sucks.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
I wasn't walking on water
I was standing on a reef
When the tide came in
Swept beneath the surface
Lost without a trace
No hope at all
No hope at all

Oh, sweet miracle
Of life

I wasn't walking with angels
I was talking to myself
Rising up to the surface
Raging against the night
Starless night

Oh, sweet miracle
Love's sweet miracle
Of life

I wasn't praying for magic
I was hiding in plain sight
Rising up from the surface
To fly into the light

Fuck, I just found about this.  I was a big Rush fan for some time, mostly due to an enthusiastic friend at work who single-handedly recruited myself.  When that friend died in 2009, I must have went through five different cycles of losing interest in Rush then trying to get back into them.  As a result, I had skipped all of their post 2010 Time Machine tour output, a decision I now regret.

ETA: If anyone has "A Show of Hands" on CD or Vinyl, play "Witch Hunt".  My friend's voice is somewhere in that crowd audio.
Oh wow. That's a touching story.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
Afterimage reminds me of a coworker who died when I was in college. While we weren't close, we did have a few days in which we worked closely on projects and spent hours a bit isolated and just talking. She was young - in her early 20s - and it rocked the bookstore where we worked.

I always think of her funeral when I hear Afterimage.

And jesus, Lifeson's guitar solo in that song. Heartbreaking and amazing.

I once got to see Neil Peart lightly use the Stanley Cup for percussion, and it was a merging of two of my favorite things.  

So glad I got to witness him perform live.

R.I.P.

I put on a lot of Rush this weekend, which I hadn't done in a while.  I still think Power Windows is the band's most underrated record.  The synth era really comes together on that one.
Julie Strain, B movie queen and comic book model. She was only 57.

https://deaddeath.com/julie-strain-death...-has-died/
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Good grief, I had no idea she had dementia.

I had a poster of FIT TO KILL on my bedroom wall during my formative years, much to my mom's chagrin.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
She was good as the lady Van Damme teaches proper stretching technique to in DOUBLE IMPACT.
Jeez, that's terrible. Always liked her. Even sat through HEAVY METAL 2000.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Looks like the reports about Julie Strain's death are false:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...0723759134
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Omigod! I worked on a movie that she was in, easily my favorite experience on a film set. She was so nice to everyone. I still have her autograph.
Cool! Which movie?
Tales from the Crapper.

It remains one of the rare Troma movies that even I can't sit through.
HIGHLANDER: THE TV SHOW actor Stan Kirsch died. 51. Suicide by hanging, unfortunately.
What the hell? Ritchie!
In a weird bit of cosmic synchronicity, I almost bought the series on Saturday to re-watch on iTunes. It was a fun show and he was really good on it.
Great sword fights. It helps that Adrian Paul is a natural martial artist and swordsman.
(01-14-2020, 05:57 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: In a weird bit of cosmic synchronicity, I almost bought the series on Saturday to re-watch on iTunes.  It was a fun show and he was really good on it.

The whole series is on Prime. I'm surprised I never really got into it because I was a real sucker for syndicated action/sci-fi shows back then. I know Roddy Piper guest-starred on one and I keep meaning to check out that episode.

Sad to hear of that actor's passing.
(01-14-2020, 06:27 PM)Alt-molt Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 05:57 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: In a weird bit of cosmic synchronicity, I almost bought the series on Saturday to re-watch on iTunes.  It was a fun show and he was really good on it.

The whole series is on Prime. I'm surprised I never really got into it because I was a real sucker for syndicated action/sci-fi shows back then. I know Roddy Piper guest-starred on one and I keep meaning to check out that episode.

Sad to hear of that actor's passing.

That's why I didn't end up buying it, I wanted to see if it was streaming anywhere else first.  Thanks for the heads up that it's on Prime.
Randall Tex Cobb shows up in another.