Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Good Place
As the show moves towards its conclusion, and thus some kind of summary of what it's been about, I found myself very struck and moved by these last two episodes, but in particular the trial sequence. It occurred to me how different Michael's argument - that even people like Brent are capable of changing/wanting to change, that no one is "beyond redemption," but that such a thing is only possible if someone is part of a community - feels from so much of tv over the last decade, which largely seemed to boil down to "people don't change, and are doomed to make the same mistakes over and over." I wouldn't say this show is a corrective to that, but it definitely feels in conversation with that. And I think you could make the argument that a lot of Schur's work - Brooklyn Nine-Nine, P&R, even The Office to an extent - is also making some version of that same argument.

But what I think is so special about The Good Place in particular is that it understands that people don't "change" completely, in that they become entirely different people - they just become better versions of themselves. It reminds me of what Ebert said about GROUNDHOG DAY, which is exactly that: "Phil undergoes his transformation but never loses his edge. He becomes a better Phil, not a different Phil." Eleanor, Chidi, Jason, Tahani, even Michael - they're still very much the same people we met in Chapter 1. They're just better versions.
home taping is killing music
Thursday, Thursday, Thursdaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 12: JACK SPARROW FIGHTS AQUAMAN

PROBABLY

I MEAN AT THIS POINT WHAT DOES IT MATTER
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

Bad Janet's sad fart
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
So, do you think Timothy Olyphant was paid for this, or did someone call him and he said, 'Yeah, aight.' and just filmed for a day?

Also: Timothy Olyphant showed up!

Also also: Joanie Loves Tchotkes; is there a compendium of all the store puns in this show? Because there have been some amazing ones throughout the run.

Search/: Humanity Eraser button garage door opener thingy judge.

Also, the "Jacksonville Plea-Bargain."
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

(01-10-2020, 09:00 AM)doc happenin Wrote: So, do you think Timothy Olyphant was paid for this, or did someone call him and he said, 'Yeah, aight.' and just filmed for a day?

Also: Timothy Olyphant showed up!

I'm sure he was paid, but the AV Club has an interview with Mike Schur on how the whole thing came together:

https://tv.avclub.com/mike-schur-on-maki...1840910984
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
ERAAAAAASE DA URF

A lot of good, quick lines in this one, really funny stuff.

Jason kills me every time.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
With four episodes to go I have to assume John and Simone are going to show back up and screw things up somehow.
Simone was pretty fucking smug and insufferable earlier in the season, so not really looking forward to her character returning, but John and/or Brent coming back for a final bow? Sign me up.

Uber-Chidi not being all that fussed about the Time Knife was a great callback.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Generally a pretty wheel-spinny episode, but I'm always happy to see Rudolph hamming it up as The Judge, Uber-Chidi was gold throughout and the more Janets the merrier, so two thumbs up from me too.
(01-12-2020, 07:21 PM)Bucho Wrote: the more Janets the merrier

. . . solid.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
EPIC BACON MUCH?

"What the here is going on?"
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
This is how to tell you’re really in The Good Place:

Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
I hope we see more of Patty.
So, at this point, we’re set up for the four to walk through the door to...wherever. Does anyone else think that door may be a sort of reincarnation? I have literally nothing to base it on, just a hunch. Like, they learned stuff in the afterlife, and maybe now they have a shot at being better the next turn of the wheel.

I do find it an interesting idea that when you reach The Good Place, and are in paradise and can have anything you want on a whim, you soon get bored with it and your mind turns to mush.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
To be fair, we don't know HOW soon they got bored and stagnant (Jason's rapid disillusionment with monkey-racing notwithstanding). The current Good Place hasn't seen any new blood in centuries.
That's true, Jason may not be the best benchmark to use.

We are talking eternity here though, so to think at some point you will get bored, and looking at that and you still have an eternity to go.

It could still be a somewhat frightening concept to think about.
They said on Twitter this morning that the finale itself will be 50+ minutes, followed by a live cast interview with Seth Meyers. I hope history repeats itself like the live Leno after the Cheers finale and the cast is appropriately hammered. Actually, that's what they should do, just interview a drunken Ted Danson and the rest of the Cheers cast.
I hope history repeats itself like the Parks & Rec cast on Seth and there's some serious making out.
Decent season, great series finale.
the empire never ended
Perfect.

I’M NOT CRYING YOU’RE CRYING
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
That was just sublime.

----------

Someone on a different thread said they felt the show ended up being more spiritually profound than most religions... I don't think it is necessarily more profound but I do think it did a good job of taking different ideas from different religions and branches of philosophy and consolidating them into something that felt cogent but was also entertaining. It's funny because it is an absurdist comedy but it uses the absurdist construct to search for truth and also humanity.

It was a fine season but for the most part I didn't like it as much as the first two seasons or the back-half of the third season. The Return of the Judge ep was great but I was just kind of mildly into the rest... but the finale was SOOOO good, it kind of elevates the season for me and, man, what a way to stick the landing for the series as whole. I'm honestly surprised with the way the show has been that they were able to get the show to that point of fullness and completion that the characters in the finale were also looking for. For a show that was always filled with surprises, they saved the best surprise for last--but it wasn't a twist or rug pull, it was grace. Beautiful.
the empire never ended
The Good Place: The Complete Series - May 19th, 2020 (Shout! Factory)

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the...ct_id=7358

Per Shout!'s Facebook post, this will have a dedicated disc of bonus features:

https://www.facebook.com/57640591309/pos...599886310/

Touching and fitting throughout. I finally lost it at the reveal of Michael's guitar teacher-- not sure if it was the moment itself or a cumulative effect.

Two lovely bits I didn't see coming: Tahani staying on and becoming an Architect, and Jason finally and unintentionally becoming a virtual monk.
Saw someone call this episode triggering because they saw it as three of the leads committing suicide. Far be it from me to tell someone how to react to something, but that seems like an extremely uncharitable read.

I loved that Michael named his big ol' Great Dane Jason.

----------

That was really good.

A great way to wrap up a series.
So good. Jason’s final “Oh dip!” and popping out from behind the tree killed me.
The show went a season too long for me, but it was so plucky and good-natured I can't be mad at it.