Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Dead Celebrity Thread
I love to revisit The Vikings, 1958 historical drama starring Douglas and Ernest Borgnine, Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis. Real longboat dancing! Just Douglas being a badass. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir-qULjD2m4

"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
RIP Roger Kahn, one of the great sportswriters and American writers and close friend of Jackie Robinson.

“Ebbets Field was a narrow cockpit, built of brick and iron and concrete, alongside a steep cobblestone slope of Bedford Avenue. Two tiers of grandstand pressed the playing area from three sides, and in thousands of seats fans could hear a ball player’s chatter, notice details of a ball player’s gait and, at a time when television had not yet assaulted illusion with the Zoomar lens, you could see, you could actually see, the actual expression on the actual face of an actual major leaguer as he played. You could know what he was like!”

“You may glory in a team triumphant, but you fall in love with a team in defeat. Losing after great striving is the story of man, who was born to sorrow, whose sweetest songs tell of saddest thought, and who, if he is a hero, does nothing in life as becomingly as leaving it.”

Longtime character actor Orson Bean killed yesterday at age 91:

https://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries...story.html
Bernard Ebbers, key figure in the Worldcom scandal, died yesterday. I'm okay with that.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(02-08-2020, 12:40 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Longtime character actor Orson Bean killed yesterday at age 91:

Always my Bilbo....
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
FRODO LIVES

RIP Rankin/Bass Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. Those were my first on-screen exposure to Tolkien, and Bean brought a lot of Hobbitish charm and sweetness to those characters, especially Bilbo.
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."
Quote:Kevin Conway, Actor Known for His Intensity, Dies at 77

In a wide-ranging career, he appeared in “The Elephant Man” on Broadway and was the voice of Mark Twain for a Ken Burns film and of an “Outer Limits” reboot.

...or better known as (clone) Kahless.

[Image: star-trek-kevin-conway-1206171.jpeg?auto...:354,smart]
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
(02-08-2020, 01:29 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Always my Bilbo....
(02-08-2020, 01:32 PM)Curiosity Cosby Wrote: FRODO LIVES

RIP Rankin/Bass Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. Those were my first on-screen exposure to Tolkien, and Bean brought a lot of Hobbitish charm and sweetness to those characters, especially Bilbo.
Yep - I read The Hobbit as a kid before I ever saw the movie, but (gripes about cat-face Smaug aside) it was a great experience (though I certainly never imagined at the time that years later I'd be seriously maintaining that it's still the best cinematic adaptation of the story!) The Rankin-Bass Return of the King I don't remember much about other than that it was a bit rushed trying to pick up the story after a totally different filmmaker and studio dropped the ball, but it definitely made a more favorable impression on me than the Bakshi LOTR.
Robert Conrad, 84.
I guess I wasn't aware Robert Conrad had still been living. Anyway, both "Wild Wild West" and "Black Sheep Squadron" were a biiig part of my daytime TV viewing as a kid. RIP.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
I also didn't know he was still alive. Many an afternoon in my childhood was centered after school reruns of Wild Wild West followed immediately by reruns of Star Trek (TOS).

RIP, Bob.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(02-08-2020, 12:40 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Longtime character actor Orson Bean killed yesterday at age 91:

Apparently he was struck by two cars while crossing the street? Crazy. His wife was Alley Mills, the mom on "The Wonder Years."

When I heard about Conrad, I immediately thought of Pacino making fun of his tight pants in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. However, my primary memory of the guy is getting smoked by Gabe Kaplan in Battle of the Network Stars:

I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Oh man, Conrad took that SERIOUSLY.

----------

Kevin Conway was one of the all time great "that guys."
home taping is killing music
I had Outlaw Country on in my car, and Mojo Nixon said Paul English just died.

He was Willie Nelson's drummer, right-hand man, and protector since the early days.

He's one of the legends of the Outlaw Movement. All the crazy stories, he was usually there.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

(02-12-2020, 05:53 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: I had Outlaw Country on in my car, and Mojo Nixon said Paul English just died.

He was Willie Nelson's drummer, right-hand man, and protector since the early days.

He's one of the legends of the Outlaw Movement. All the crazy stories, he was usually there.

Starred in my favorite TWILIGHT ZONE episode, MR. BEVIS. One of the rare life-affirming episodes leaving you feeling swell. RIP.

The real ending to Big...
Producer, DJ and all round Acid House era legend Andrew Weatherall

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51535685
Nikita Pearl Waligwa, only 15 years old.  Fuck cancer.

https://www.ign.com/articles/queen-of-ka...ta-waligwa
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
True Grit novelist Charles Portis, 86.

https://apnews.com/d4184bf40c33aeda5bbae9d687fea1b6
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
Portis is one of those guys I call a "Velvet Underground writer," in that he's maybe not as well known as other writers, but everyone who reads him comes away changed a little.
Ja'Net Dubois, who portrayed Willona on Good Times, has passed.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainm...story.html
(02-18-2020, 11:18 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Portis is one of those guys I call a "Velvet Underground writer," in that he's maybe not as well known as other writers, but everyone who reads him comes away changed a little.

True Grit led me to the Sisters Brothers novel, which I loved. Then I went back to Portis's Dog of the South and Norwood. His dialogue was always something intriguing to me. I would read some of it outloud to better hear its odd twists and turns.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
Sy Sperling, founder of the Hair Club for Men, 78. This bald man salutes you, sir.
He was also a client.
Famed adventure novelist Clive Cussler died Monday at the age of 88.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/02/26/sahara-au...tt-series/

----------

(02-26-2020, 01:20 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Famed adventure novelist Clive Cussler died Monday at the age of 88.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/02/26/sahara-au...tt-series/

Sad deal.  One of my favorite novelists of my late grammar school and early high school days.

Still, he had a good, long run.

Mazzy Star’s David Roback Dead at 61
The producer and instrumentalist also co-founded the bands Rain Parade and Opal

I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Clive Cussler may have been the best "airport novel" writer alive (and I say that with no disrespect). His books were never great literature, but they were entertaining, breezy reads. I did kind of fall away from keeping up once it moved into collaboration and ghost-writing territory.

And dude lived a very full life...collected tons of classic cars, looked for sunken treasure all over the place...he was quite the character (including in his own books at times!)

RIP, Mr. Cussler.
Any author who can make a character named Dirk Pitt a household name has my respect, regardless of the quality of the writing.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
James Lipton, 93. Here's hoping he got the question he was hoping for when he reached the pearly gates.
Lipton was one of the great interviewers. Every long form podcast interview show owes him a massive debt.
Indeed. And might I add that you, sir, are an absolute delight.
David Paul, one half of the Barbarian Brothers has passed away.  Did they make good movies? Not really ... but I have a soft spot for The Barbarians and Think Big as "so stupid you have to laugh" type humor.  Both bros always seemed like genuinely good dudes, and remained names in the bodybuilding community after their acting careers didn't pan out.  RIP bro!
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
I unapologetically love Think Big. Very sad.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
McCoy Tyner, Groundbreaking Pianist Of 20th Century Jazz, Dies At 81