Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Director Debut Decade Game
I'm listening to this "game"/"intellectual exercise" on THE BIG PICTURE and it poses an interesting question/personality test/whatever. 

For each decade, who is the best or most important filmmaker that released their debut film in that decade? Not the director who was at his or her apex during that decade, but the one who would go on to make the best or most important films. 

For example, if you were talking about Kubrick, you might argue that his decade where he was the most dominant was the 1970s - but he released his debut film in the 1950s. The 40s and 50s may have belonged to Ford, Wilder, and Hitchcock, but those were all filmmakers who began working much earlier. 

The "rule" is that it has to be a feature-length film (40+ minutes by Oscar rules), released theatrically during the decade. The podcast didn't specify whether it could be an international release - how DUEL got released in theaters in Europe, for example - but let's say that it counts.

Have at.
home taping is killing music
I'll go first and be predictable:

The 2000s: Christopher Nolan, "Memento"
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
The 1990s: Quentin Tarantino, Reservoir Dogs (1992)
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
A sampling of directors who made their debuts in the year 2000 alone:

Stephen Daldry
Andrew Dominik
David Gordon Green
Jonathan Glazer
Karyn Kusama
Kenneth Lonergan
Gina Prince-Bythewood
Apichatpong Weerasethakul
Todd Phillips
Christopher McQuarrie
and Bong-Joo Motherfucking Ho.

I'm not saying that any of those folks is a better or more important director than Nolan. But it's just an example of how complicated this quickly becomes.
(02-21-2020, 11:16 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I'll go first and be predictable:

The 2000s: Christopher Nolan, "Memento"

Nolan debuted with FOLLOWING in 1998
I don't think FOLLOWING qualifies under the rules set in the first post, but I could be wrong.

And yes, the filmmakers who debuted in 2000 is indeed impressive, but I think Nolan handily qualifies as most influential/biggest impact on the industry of all of them.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Right, but that's 2000 the year alone. Jon Favreau also had his debut film in the 2000s decade, and if we're going on "impact on the industry," his contributions to the early MCU can't be ignored.

According to IMDB, Following had a brief theatrical run in the USA and then the UK in 1999: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0154506/rel..._=tt_dt_dt
I’m saying Nolan wouldn’t qualify as best/most-important for the aughts because his debut was in 1998.

But Bong Joon Ho’s first feature film was in 2000. So unlike Nolan, he could be a candidate for 2000-2009.
Did FOLLOWING have a theatrical debut?

stop trying to anoint Nolan, Michael!!

you don’t want it, and ya can’t have it!
Just trying to play the rules, mang!

MOVIESPORTS!!!
(02-21-2020, 11:00 AM)boone daniels Wrote: The "rule" is that it has to be a feature-length film (40+ minutes by Oscar rules), released theatrically during the decade. The podcast didn't specify whether it could be an international release - how DUEL got released in theaters in Europe, for example - but let's say that it counts.

As far as I can tell, FOLLOWING never had a theatrical release. It was released on home video in 2012.

Thus, Nolan's debut film was MEMENTO, released theatrically in 2000.

I stand by my nomination of Nolan as the "biggest" debut in the aughts, though he was in very good company.

The 90’s: Bob Saget
80's = Soderbergh? Sex, Lies, and Videotape was 88-89, iirc.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
what do you mean FOLLOWING never had a theatrical release?

does premiering at various film festivals not count? it was reviewed by film critics at the time. Wesley Morris reviewed a theatrical viewing of it in 1999

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Intr...077217.php

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0154506/relea...tt_dt_rdat

ya can’t have it
I dunno. I didn't make the rules! I guess I think of festivals as one-offs and not "real" theatrical releases, in which it can be seen by general audiences.

boone's the arbiter here, though.

He said we could count DUEL because it got a theatrical release in France.

FOLLOWING’s IMDb page shows various countries’ release dates that aren’t festivals.

Because if only domestic theatrical is counted, it would probably block a lot of great international debuts from being counted.

HAVE AT THEE!!!
1960s: Francis Ford Coppola
1970s: George Lucas

1950s: John Frankenheimer, although he wouldn't really deliver until the 1960s with some absolutely essential cinema.
If Nolan were in the 2000’s he’d *easily* be the decade’s most important director, but Technical rules aside everyone considers Following to be his debut
Michael doesn’t want it

and he can’t have it

but yes, if Memento were his debut, Nolan would be the one to beat

I was wondering about that film Tarantino did during his video store days in the 80s, but it turns out that a lot of that film’s footage got destroyed and what’s left doesn’t count as a full feature length film hahah

Man... the 70s really do belong to Lucas. THX, Graffiti, the star war
If we count FOLLOWING, then I'd say Nolan is out, as QT fucking owns the 1990s for director debuts.

(02-21-2020, 12:36 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: 1970s: George Lucas

70s is either Lucas or Spielberg. I'd give the edge to the Beard, myself, though I think either choice is valid.

oooh yea, for some reason I felt like Spielberg had his debut earlier, but I must’ve been thinking about his career in directing for TV

even though we were talking about DUEL just now hahah

Cameron for the 80s?

Piranha2, terminator, aliens, abyss

McTiernan maybe?
Cameron arguably has the biggest impact of filmmakers who debuted in the 80s, but I'm inclined to give the nod to Soderbergh.

In the IMDB link I provided, it specifically cites a NYC release date in June and a UK release date in December. There is no notation indicating whether or not it played at a festival in either NY or the UK, so I think we can assume that that's a limited release and therefore counts as Nolan in a 1999 debut.
The 80's is probably James Cameron.

And going much earlier, the 1910s is either Chaplin or Cecil B. DeMille.
(02-21-2020, 01:26 PM)boone daniels Wrote: In the IMDB link I provided, it specifically cites a NYC release date in June and a UK release date in December. There is no notation indicating whether or not it played at a festival in either NY or the UK, so I think we can assume that that's a limited release and therefore counts as Nolan in a 1999 debut.

I concede! The 1990s belongs to QT!

The Coen Brothers can fight Cameron for the 80s. Sure Cameron would be outnumbered, but he seems crazier, and in my book you always bet on crazy.
For me something like-
10's- Ford
20's- Hitchcock
30's- Wilder
40's- Kurosawa
50's- Kubrick
60's- Scorsese
70's- Spielberg
80's- Coens
90's- Tarantino
00's- Bong
Kubrick was the most important director of the 50’s with only The Killing and Paths of Glory under his belt?
90s could go to Michael Bay
00s could go to JJ Abrams
No, but he was the most important director who debuted in the 1950s (or so bailey is arguing). Important distinction.

Oooh I thought he had to have debuted and also released his most influential films in that decade.
(02-21-2020, 03:03 PM)Evi Wrote: Oooh I thought he had to have debuted and also released his most influential films in that decade.

From the original post up above, emphasis mine:

Quote:For each decade, who is the best or most important filmmaker that released their debut film in that decade? Not the director who was at his or her apex during that decade, but the one who would go on to make the best or most important films. 

I had to read it a few times myself to make sure I was understanding! (Which is not a knock on boone, just me being dumb. Which is not to say I'm calling Evi dumb. Maybe I just shut up now.)

No no that’s ok. I’m happy to admit that I’m dumb. I was playing a much tougher game in my head.