Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
The Democratic Party Going Forward
That sounds an awful lot like a CONSPIRACY Schwartz.
It was widely reported he had breakfast with Jimmy Carter in Atlanta today. Maybe he got the “live to fight another day” speech.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
(03-01-2020, 07:38 PM)Amos Wrote: That's the only reason you can think of, eh?
It's the simplest explanation, and it squares with typical observed politician behavior and doesn't require the existence of some Byzantine conspiracy wherein multiple parties throw months or years of time and fundraising effort into acquiring a combined total of approximately eleventy zillion dollars which they then proceed to throw down a hole as they all commit strategically prolonged seppuku for the sake of stopping one guy from getting the nomination instead of another guy at no benefit to themselves, so yeah.
(03-01-2020, 07:47 PM)Amos Wrote: That sounds an awful lot like a CONSPIRACY Schwartz.

It sounds like a political party organizing a long term strategy for pursuing a shared agenda, but you prefer the all caps, sure.

I wish the RNC had done a bit more CONSPIRING in 2016, myself.
The conspiracy theories are all Amos will have left if Bernie doesn’t get the nomination.
Losing your home state in this kind of contest puts a real target on your back going forward for ambitious up-and-comers, so Klobuchar and Warren want to at least ward that off. And yeah, it's pride as well - if you run for President, you've got to have a truly monumental ego and losing your home state is humiliating as fuck.

Buttigieg doesn't have that kind of anchor for ST and has run out of money and on-the-ground organization. This is him thinking ahead and putting a weak cover on "of course I got blown out of the water!" versus being completely wrecked two days from now. And yeah, as an ambitious young politician he'd probably prefer it if Biden was the nominee over Sanders, because Sanders isn't as likely to give him a cabinet slot or VP position.

Either that, or he's going to endorse Jimmy Carter for President. Jimmy's only served one term! He's still eligible! Unity candidate!
Well, he did beat cancer...or was it a brain tumor.
Carter '20: I'm Only Slightly Older than These Guys!

538 does forecasts of every primary, and Buttigeig's outlook for ST was DREADFUL. Basically, he needed Biden to lose SC, not win it in a walk. So I guess it makes sense to drop now before the story of your '20 campaign becomes: "Got as many delegates on Super Tuesday as Gabbard".

Klobaucher meanwhile, can greatly up her delegate total with just her home state. Oh, another big factor: Klobaucher seems to really dislike Mayor Pete, and by staying in, she can likely pass him for 4th.

For both of them, they likely want to run again at some point, and having some positives to point at could help with support.

Anyway, that's how I see it; I don't need to look for a "good of the party" conspiracy for an explanation, when simple egotism will suffice.
Gamertag: Tweakee
With the news that the Buttigieg and Biden campaigns are now in talks to combine their resources, Mayor Pete needs to get out there, like LITERALLY tonight or early tomorrow and make his endorsement of Diamond Joe ahead of Super Tuesday's ground-voting. And Obama needs to make an endorsement-statement quickly, here, too, if they want to have any real shot of shutting down Bernie.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

Obama endorsing anyone just isn’t going to happen until we have a nominee.

Also, funny to note. Diamond Joe is now the youngest man still running for the Democratic nomination.
I posted a story that touched on it above, but Obama's not going to endorse in the primary. He wants to be able to campaign against Trump no matter who the nominee is.
"We're going back to the days when a slice of cherry pie cost a nickel. Don't like it? Then vote for someone else, jack!"
You say that as if a slice of cherry pie costing a nickel is a bad thing.
I won't for any candidate that doesn't support Cherry Pie 4 All.

(03-01-2020, 09:49 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: I won't for any candidate that doesn't support Cherry Pie 4 All.

We have to break up Sara Lee and Marie Calendar.
What's this Cherry Pie nonsense?  Us TRUE Americans eat Apple Pie.  Damn Pinkos...
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
Dale Cooper would beg to differ, sir.
The closest I've been to Twin Peaks is that one episode of Psych.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
Cherry Pie.....?! Fuck that shit!

APPLE PIE FOREVER!
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
538 points out that Petey dropping out isn't just good for Biden; it's good for everyone except Sanders. Because they all have states where they are at risk of finishing at <15% and getting shut out. Warren and Bloomberg are both more likely to get decent-sized chunks of CA, for example.

Also...

Turtle Pie is best pie.
(03-01-2020, 10:22 PM)boristhecheese Wrote: The closest I've been to Twin Peaks is that one episode of Psych.

And your avatar is Ray Wise? Man, just when you think you’ve got somebody figured out...
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."
Why isn't everyone's avatar Ray Wise? That's the real question! It's from a show called Reaper where Ray played Satan. Great guy.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/cal...t-machine/

Basically, only Sanders and Bloomberg invested in CA. Almost 1/3rd of tomorrow's delegates. If Sanders wins the nomination, it'll likely be because he ran almost unopposed in the biggest prize in the primary. He's probably going to pull 200 or so delegates with only 30%-ish of the vote.
An indie pop/chamber pop joke that some might not get, but it brightened up my morning:

https://mobile.twitter.com/masonmennenga...5076734976

If you count the BQE, technically he made it to three states.
If Pete makes a Christmas album as good as Sufjan's, I'll forgive him, too.

My home state's Sen. Tammy Duckworth is going to endorse Biden:

https://twitter.com/natashakorecki/statu...0680786944
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

Does Biden even have a policy platform? His website is all platitudes.

How do you endorse that?
Apparently Klobuchar is dropping out tonight and endorsing Biden too.

https://twitter.com/jeffzeleny/status/12...6508394496
Centrist Blob 2020 is congealing! Liz will stay in the race to peel off 1/4 of the progressive vote before dropping out and endorsing Biden herself.

They're likely hoping for a Biden/Warren ticket coming out of a brokered convention, which would lose.

A vote for anyone but Bernie at this point is a vote for Trump.
^ Amos continues to smoke something dangerously magical.

I promise I will take no pleasure in saying "I told you so."

(03-02-2020, 03:03 PM)Amos Wrote: I promise I will take no pleasure in saying "I told you so."

Well that's just a lie.