Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
The Democratic Party Going Forward
Then don't start this bullshit. You're the one hankering for takers for the bet. Poorshaming? I'm shaming you because you're an insincere joke of a human being.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
If we get closer to November and I have more cash to burn on this, I'd be happy to up the ante.

The bigger question is who is a person we could both trust to broker this thing.

Two things:

We don't pull the trigger on this until Biden is the nominee.

if Biden or Trump dies before Election Day, the bet's off.
Call me crazy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Amos will deem no available intermediaries to be trustworthy and thus the much-ballyhooed betting cannot take place...
I'd trust Overlord, but I doubt he'd want to put himself out there enough to provide Venmo or paypal info to anyone.

If anyone else is willing to come forward and facilitate this, feel free to speak up.
(03-05-2020, 10:38 PM)boristhecheese Wrote: Then don't start this bullshit. You're the one hankering for takers for the bet. Poorshaming? I'm shaming you because you're an insincere joke of a human being.

Boris, you’re microaggressing poor Amos!!
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

The outside observer would quickly conclude you guys are way meaner to me than I am to you.
Maybe I should start taking bets as to whether or not Amos mysteriously disappears from the boards like El Ahrairaiirrahrairhara or whatever his name was did after 2016.
I'll hang around long enough to collect my money, you can count on that.
(03-05-2020, 10:03 PM)farsight Wrote: This is why I was heartened to see AOC discussing how compromise legislation that gets us closer to M4A would be a victory, not a defeat. It tells me that she's learned more in 2 years than Bernie has in 30.

Totally agree. 

Unfortunately if you believe Amos, she was “corrected” by Bernie and the Bros. into thinking that compromise was bad.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
We should really just stop kicking this particular dead horse.  It stopped being amusing some time ago. 

(03-05-2020, 10:36 PM)Amos Wrote: are you poorshaming me?

I don't want to bet with money I don't have.

Sounds like you’re not too sure about winning.  With the absolute smug certainty you note in your posts,  I thought you would be willing to wager at least a grand, as your prediction is surely a foregone conclusion. 

So are you going to take Anya’s offer?  I’m assuming no one needs to hold onto your $20 wager, and the winner can collect after the election.
PSN Handle: chetripley80
(03-05-2020, 10:53 PM)Amos Wrote: The outside observer would quickly conclude you guys are way meaner to me than I am to you.

True.

I bet one dollar!
(03-05-2020, 07:38 PM)leto ii Wrote: So much of that is pouting, since they're finally coming to the realization their guy had no shot after all.

It was only like 10 days ago that the entire political and media establishment was losing its minds over the increasing likelihood that Sanders might be unstoppable if there wasn't a coordinated strategy to stop him.
I’m far from certain it’s a done deal that Biden is the nominee. Shit’s been changing overnight, quite a bit.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(03-06-2020, 06:08 AM)Paul C Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 07:38 PM)leto ii Wrote: So much of that is pouting, since they're finally coming to the realization their guy had no shot after all.

It was only like 10 days ago that the entire political and media establishment was losing its minds over the increasing likelihood that Sanders might be unstoppable if there wasn't a coordinated strategy to stop him.

Funny how when Sanders is slightly just above Biden the attitude seems to be that "it ain't over until it's over", but when the tables turn and Biden is slightly just above Bernie suddenly it's "IT'S DONE, BEND THE KNEE BERNIE & BROS!"
(03-06-2020, 06:21 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: I’m far from certain it’s a done deal that Biden is the nominee. Shit’s been changing overnight, quite a bit.

It's not a done deal, but rapid shifts in the early primaries aren't unusual until the field narrows.

Now, however, it's effectively a two man race.  And most of the people that have dropped out were splitting the moderate vote, not the Bernie vote.

And almost every narrative the Bernie campaign had on why they were the most electable didn't bear out on Tuesday. The youth vote stayed home, black voters overwhelmingly went for Biden despite polls claiming Bernie was more popular with them, and Bernie's strength with Hispanic voters failed to net him the win in Texas.

The bottom line is that Sanders came up short on a day that was expected to be a big win for him, and now he looks vulnerable while Biden has all the momentum. It will take an absolutely blowout victory in a fairly delegate rich state to counter that narrative, and right now it's looking like the next big blowout in a high value state will be Florida...for Biden.
(03-05-2020, 07:34 PM)bradito Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 06:55 PM)Amos Wrote: If you're a straight white man, that's as good of a start as you can get.

What if my dad still thinks I'm gay?

That just means Mike Pence will want to be alone with you more often.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
Maybe instead of wasting it on a bet, Amos should throw that dough at his boy's campaign.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(03-05-2020, 10:13 PM)mondguy Wrote: I'd love to hear the words "President Cortez" eventually.

I'm going to spout off before I check, but I think it would be "President Ocasio" 

AFTER CHECKING - didn't realise it was hyphenated, so it would be "President Ocasio-Cortez" - unless she marries by that point and takes her spouse's name.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
I can see her campaign buttons now: AOC is A O.K.!

I'd wear it.
(03-06-2020, 06:08 AM)Paul C Wrote: It was only like 10 days ago that the entire political and media establishment was losing its minds over the increasing likelihood that Sanders might be unstoppable if there wasn't a coordinated strategy to stop him.

(03-06-2020, 06:21 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: I’m far from certain it’s a done deal that Biden is the nominee. Shit’s been changing overnight, quite a bit.

Yeah, we're one "Biden grabs a war widow's boob" story from all of this changing.

How funny would it be if Amos started talking about movies?
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Michigan's governor endorsed Biden. That makes a big Sanders win there unlikely.

Florida is almost certainly a HUGE Biden win.

That means that a week and a half from now, Biden is likely to be hundreds of delegates ahead. And we've already seen that most of the voters are casting ballots based on "electability" pragmatism.

Bernie is now in the position that Warren and Bloomberg were a week ago: needing a huge reversal just to have a shot.
Gamertag: Tweakee
There are just over 1,000 delegates left to be allocated in March; in just two weeks, 935 of them will be determined. I think we'll pretty much know who the nominee will be by March 20.

(My guess is that it will be Biden, but after the last five years, anything could fucking happen.)
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(03-06-2020, 09:14 AM)farsight Wrote: Michigan's governor endorsed Biden. That makes a big Sanders win there unlikely.

Probably wasn't a good idea for Sanders to endorse her opponent in 2018. Eventually trying to tear down the Democratic Party comes back to haunt you.
Not so much tooth!
Yeah, and Biden campaigned for her. He campaigned for centrists and progressives. Amazing what making allies instead of enemies can do for you!

538 just updated their simulation... Biden is now 88% likely to reach 51% and clinch the nomination without a contested convention. "No One" is at 10%, Sanders is at 2%.
Gamertag: Tweakee
I'm guessing Michigan hasn't forgetten what Joe's BFF did for auto industry jobs there either.

BTW isn't Michigans governor related to a chewer? Curious to know what that poster thinks of her doing her part to help fight fascism. I'd be pretty proud
No One 2020
(03-06-2020, 12:45 PM)bradito Wrote: No One 2020

COVID19: 2020

Sealab 2020
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(03-05-2020, 07:48 PM)Amos Wrote: Here's an issue I'd like to see explored a little more:

How are white politicians supposed to make inroads with older black voters without being straight-up conservative? Everyone likes to frame the conversation in terms of this being possible, but nothing I've seen shows that it is.

I think you might want to "explore" this:

"I've talked to TOO MANY black Southern voters this week (and during my life) I wanna stop and explain the concept of "the establishment" to some people and why a lot of black Southern voters will NEVER vote for Bernie."
https://twitter.com/michaelharriot/statu...3005642753

tl;dr.....

"A lot of them don't even care about Biden's relationship with Obama, as some people claim. He has another 40-year relationship that is more important:

That D" beside his name.

To them, that's the "establishment" they trust.

They all they got"
That is an EXCELLENT thread.

For those who hate Twitter, you can read it "normally" here:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/12357...42753.html
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

A somewhat similar take on it (from someone that has nothing good to say about Biden).
Paywalled.

Really? I know I didn't pay for any access.