Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker (Post-Release Discussion)
(02-25-2020, 01:10 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: The "new" canon has established that, after the formation of the New Republic, Mon Mothma essentially decided that the Republic should basically disarm, and keep only a very small fleet to guard the capital worlds.  Kind of like Japan after World War II, except this was the winning side doing it.  Which is monumentally stupid.  That's why the Resistance is supposed to be this "off the books" thing that Leia has generated only tepid, tacit support for in THE FORCE AWAKENS.  The BLOODLINE book gets into this a bit.  

Anyway, supposedly the member worlds were allowed to keep their own standing armies and fleets... but we see no evidence of that in the movies whatsoever.

Closest example I can think of is the Naboo fighters. Speaking of which, I love their WWII inspired wardrobe. That's was a pretty cool contrast to the more modern looking flight suits in the OT.
A more interesting version of the Sequels would have seen those distinct fleets and armies come into play after Starkiller Base blows up the capital... but nah, the First Order just easily conquers them all off-screen between movies!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
just like trek 09!
Just like EMPIRE really! The implication in STAR WARS was that the Death Star was built as a means of keeping local systems in line after dissolving the senate. Without that, there would presumably be an up-rise from the local systems. "The more you tighten you grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers".

But then EMPIRE opens with "nah, rebels are on the run, they're not doing so great! Empire is as strong as ever!"
(02-25-2020, 03:04 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: A more interesting version of the Sequels would have seen those distinct fleets and armies come into play after Starkiller Base blows up the capital... but nah, the First Order just easily conquers them all off-screen between movies!

They conquered in TFA. After all, there was 20 X wings left to defend THE ENTIRE FREE GALAXY. Obviously there simply ISN'T other ships in this universe, or they obviously would have showed up to defend their planets from the planet murdering planet. They did not.

And yes, spitfires protecting bombers is the most WW2 ass dogfight scenario imaginable.
(02-25-2020, 03:22 AM)freeman Wrote: They conquered in TFA.  After all, there was 20 X wings left to defend THE ENTIRE FREE GALAXY.  Obviously there simply ISN'T other ships in this universe, or they obviously would have showed up to defend their planets from the planet murdering planet.  They did not.

If you really wanted to, you could have played that off as there not being enough time for any of these fleets to mobilize to join the Resistance in attacking Starkiller Base.  For all the movie shows us, that attack might have only been a few hours after the destruction of the Republic capital.

Point being, you could have gotten around that if the "tiny Rebellion, giant Empire" dynamic wasn't mandated for the status quo in the next movie again.
(02-25-2020, 12:07 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Point being, you could have gotten around that with a modicum of effort if the "tiny Rebellion, giant Empire" dynamic wasn't mandated for the status quo in the next movie again.

That's my conclusion about pretty much all of TFA's problems.  That TROS somehow managed to be even lazier boggles my mind.
But again, I don't think THE FORCE AWAKENS definitively closed the door on that.  If THE LAST JEDI had begun with a crawl along the lines of "It is a desperate time for the galaxy.  Both dealt devastating blows, the fledgling RESISTANCE and insurgent FIRST ORDER each fight to keep the other from gaining ground as more star systems are drawn into the conflict," I don't think anybody in the audience would be asking, "Wait, how did that happen?"

Now, knowing everything we know now, do I really think that was Rian Johnson's call?  Probably not.  I think he received directives from higher up the chain that the power relationship between the factions was to be a retread of the Original Trilogy.
I mean, I'm not that sure why you're so keen on the prospect of an even fight to begin with. "SHIT GOT MESSY FOR A MINUTE BUT THE GOOD GUYS ARE DOING PRETTY ALRIGHT FOR THEMSELVES" doesn't make for the most engaging opening crawl either, imo.

But you're technically right, TFA doesn't definitively close the door on anything vis a vis the state of the galaxy, because it never articulated anything beyond "Empire 2.0" at all.
(02-25-2020, 01:41 PM)schwartz Wrote: I mean, I'm not that sure why you're so keen on the prospect of an even fight to begin with.

Because scrappy Rebellion vs. giant Empire is boring after we saw it done to (relative) perfection in the previous trilogy.
Bob Chapek named new Disney CEO. Bob Iger will remain as chairman for one year and then retire.
(02-25-2020, 02:01 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 01:41 PM)schwartz Wrote: I mean, I'm not that sure why you're so keen on the prospect of an even fight to begin with.

Because scrappy Rebellion vs. giant Empire is boring after we saw it done to (relative) perfection in the previous trilogy.

"But that's what real Star Wars is man, and we saw what happened with the prequels!"

-Chud users circa 2015
So very accurate! Ha!
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(02-25-2020, 05:15 PM)serpico jones Wrote: Bob Chapek named new Disney CEO. Bob Iger will remain as chairman for one year and then retire.

Isn't Chapek the guy who single-handedly wrecked Galaxy's Edge with cost-cutting efforts?

Odd choice.

(02-25-2020, 05:40 PM)Overlord Wrote: TERRIBLE choice.

Fixed that for you.
Only in Hollywood can you fail upwards!
It blows my mind that people are STILL suggesting that it was Rians Johnsons fault for not cleaning up JJ's mess "well" enough. He COULD have contorted to make TFA make MORE sense than he already did.

I mean... HELLO!!!
Weird since most of the time I feel like what we hear/read is that he cleaned it up too well.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(02-25-2020, 09:00 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Weird since most of the time I feel like what we hear/read is that he cleaned it up too well.

Yeah, a position I've never agreed with: all Rian Johnson left the director of IX with was a galactic war between a miserable Skywalker with umpteen star destroyers and 20 people on the Millennium Falcon as the central plot, with Snoke's origins, the rumour of Luke's last stand, and the flaws in the stormtrooper programme there if the director wanted to use them. That's *more* than enough for a 2 1/2 hour to have to deal with.

And all of that's sort of in the film, but it's all rushed through or tossed aside quickly so that JJ can indulge his true love: remaking beats from classic movies in a way that sucks out all the emotion from them, all in the context of a historically (cinema-wise) massive opportunity.
The stupidest point was "TLJ killed Snoke, now the series has no villain for a finale!!!"

The sheer lack of ANY sort of creative vision.
Coming March 17th.
[Image: ER4qm8xX0AYcPgs.png?width=643&height=590]
I hope they take all those rumored test endings and make it into a Choose Your Own Adventure book.

"If you think Rey and Kylo should be saved at the last minute by the sudden appearance of Dr. Nera Vivaldi, turn to page 107."
FYI,

Sooo, just saw some details about Rey's father that's further explained in the book has made it online, and people are supposedly PISSED at how stupid it is. Saw it in a Yahoo Entertainment article that popped up in my google feed entitled "'Star Wars' Outrage Grows after 'Rise of Skywalker' Novel reveals truth about Rey's Father". That article linked to the real article on indiewire:

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/03/star-w...202215607/
Something that was already incredibly dumb has become even dumber!
OH god they're going to J.K. Rowling this shit, are they?

That's fucking terrible.  That's so goddamn terrible for a number of reasons. 

It feels like this is a way to get around the whole PALPATINE FUCKS angle.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Heheheh
Are you guys going to make me chase down this new stupid tidbit on my own? Because I'm probably not going to do that.
Are you guys still getting your knickers in a twist about this space wizard movie made for children?

That I saw 4 times on the big screen?
If that wasn’t bad enough, we have also learned that Palps transferred his consciousness to a clone body on another planet while he was falling to his doom on Death Star 2. I continue to marvel at how deeply stupid this film is.
Hey, that was a lotta shaft to fall down. A guy could probably psychically upload his entire consciousness like six times before hitting the bottom.
(03-06-2020, 07:02 PM)schwartz Wrote: Are you guys going to make me chase down this new stupid tidbit on my own?  Because I'm probably not going to do that.

Schwartz, it's in the article I linked on the previous page.

(03-06-2020, 07:52 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: Hey, that was a lotta shaft to fall down. A guy could probably psychically upload his entire consciousness like six times before hitting the bottom.

Palpatine is a skin-job Cylon - CONFIRMED
(03-06-2020, 06:26 PM)ska oreo Wrote: OH god they're going to J.K. Rowling this shit, are they?
Make a bunch of characters gay offscreen?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
The Star Wars novelization mentions ducks.

Return of the Jedi's novelization made Uncle Owen Obi-Wan's brother.

Novelizations have all kinds of things not present in the films they're based on, and are generally regarded as separate things.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Well, the problem is there’s no explanation for these events that’s not outrageously dumb, and the film doesn’t even bother to attempt to provide us with this information. It’s not as if anything in the novelization is contradicted by the film.
Wasn't Palps already Anakin's father in the same non-sexy way?

So Rey is his granddaughter, and Kylo is his great-grandson?

Are we sure Chewie isn't also a Palpatine?
Gamertag: Tweakee