Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Coronavirus Thread, brought to you by Randall Flagg
You can wipe your ass with a gun right?
(03-15-2020, 07:02 PM)bradito Wrote: I drove by the gun store today, and there was a line out the door. These assholes know you can't kill a virus with bullets, right?

[Image: ttzkZHidF7M-mamA-k8A_S8Q_Iw=.gif]
They're not for the virus, they're for the (likely dark skinned) looters from their elaborate post societal collapse fantasies
Bars are closing in California.

The virus has gone too far this time, for like the fourth time!
Everything’s closing. Hope that extra 2-3 weeks of business was worth the extra dead.

Ron Howard: (currently under self-quarantine.)
I'm part of a fitness group on FB (also considering leaving btw) and several people are bragging about how they're going to go to the gym anyway because "this virus is only for the weak", "it's being over-exaggerated by the leftist media", "the virus has a 90% recovery rate" and so on. 

You just can't reason with certain people.
In addition to some mad gains, they risk losing 20% of their lung capacity forever! Worth it!!
(03-15-2020, 07:02 PM)bradito Wrote: I drove by the gun store today, and there was a line out the door. These assholes know you can't kill a virus with bullets, right?

Two and a half hour wait at Turners last Friday.

Being somewhat of a contrarian for the moment...

I don't think that enough thought has gone into the economic repercussions about having 'everything' shutdown for 2-4-6-8 weeks.

Shutting down bars/restaurants will most likely DEVASTATE small/local businesses to the point that many may not recover.

And then I see that this happened this afternoon-

Fed slashes main interest rate to near zero in historic move designed to cushion economic blow of coronavirus pandemic

I'm sure that this might help out 'Wall Street' in some way/shape/form, but for the average person/small business owner, it won't do shit.

Don't get me wrong, I think we need to be smart about how we deal with the CV, but in our world, everything is connected and people are starting to act like fucking idiots.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
The Fed just cut interest rates to zero and launched a massive "quantitative easing" (aka handout to Wall Street) program.

They also cut the reserve requirements for many banks to zero.  Holy. Shit.  How over leveraged are these banks that this was even on the table?

We went out for some quick shopping and some drinks. The restaurant we went to was fucking dead. Chatting with the bartenders, the place is going to be operating on reduced hours and a skeleton crew for the next few weeks, meaning that all of the people working there are absolutely fucked for income.

I don’t blame the restaurant. They already operate on minuscule margins so they’re having to cut back in order to survive, but holy cow...lots of them are going to go under and most of their employees are going to lose their shirts.

Not a good time to be in service or retail.
(03-15-2020, 07:48 PM)bailey Wrote: Everything’s closing. Hope that extra 2-3 weeks of business was worth the extra dead.

Ron Howard: (currently under self-quarantine.)

Even if you completely set aside the callous indifference to human life (so, adopting Trump’s mindset), the extra 2-3 weeks of business up front isn’t worth the 8+ weeks of lost business that the lack of response is going to cause. 

This is exactly how the “free markets will solve everything” line is a myth. Left to their own devices, those bold, innovative business geniuses will chase the extra 2% in short term profit right off a cliff and then start howling at the government for not having enough parachutes ready.
I get to work a sandwich counter for a few days later this week. Thankfully the customers will be at least 4 feet away from me over the counter. I don't have to handle any cash, just put the wrapped sandwich up there for them to grab. I'll be surrounded by plentiful disposable gloves, cleaning supplies, and hand washing stations.

The night shift is usually dead too, I mostly clean and close down. But yeah, this is not ideal.

The family that owns the store are probably part of the Entitled Small Business Owners Covenant. If you asked them about Paid Time Off, they'd laugh in your face. I think maybe some of the people that have been there 2+ years get a few vacation days.
In re: the Fed cutting reserve requirements to ZERO ...

Do you want bank runs? Cause this is how you get bank runs.

(03-15-2020, 08:58 PM)Overlord Wrote: In re: the Fed cutting reserve requirements to ZERO ...

Do you want bank runs? Cause this is how you get bank runs.

Hypothetically, if things get worse financially, where can they go from here?  I'm not well informed on these issues, but this seems like using up all of one's tricks at too early of a stage.
So what does cutting reserve requirements mean to someone like me, who doesn't understand any of that shit?
The Oklahoma governor who bragged about going out to dinner with his kids?  You'll be shocked to learn that he's an anti-vaxxer.  

Here's an article from 2018:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/oklahomas-...nti-vaxxer

Quote:The Republican nominee for Governor in Oklahoma expressed skepticism of childhood vaccinations in a speech earlier this year, aligning himself with a fringe movement that equates immunization with government overreach.

At an appearance before a conservative political forum this past February, Tulsa businessman Kevin Stitt said he personally did not vaccinate some his own kids and opposed legislation that would require vaccinations for children if they wanted to attend public schools. 

“I believe in choice,” Stitt said, “And we’ve got six children and we don’t vaccinate, we don’t do vaccinations on all of our children. So we definitely pick and choose which ones we’re gonna do. It’s gotta be up to the parents, we can never mandate that. I think there’s legislation right now that are trying to mandate that to go to public schools, it’s absolutely wrong. My wife was home schooled, I went to public schools, our kids go to Christian school, and that’s back to a parent’s choice.” 
(03-15-2020, 09:05 PM)bradito Wrote: So what does cutting reserve requirements mean to someone like me, who doesn't understand any of that shit?

Historically, banks in modern economies must have a fraction of their business (percentages vary) covered by cash reserves.  This prevents banks from over leveraging and going bankrupt in bad times.  It is a fundamental building block of consumer trust in banks.

The Fed just did away with that rule.  So banks can gamble with money they literally don't have. At all.  

The liquidity crisis must be catastrophic for the Fed to do this.  They must have been expecting banks to go bankrupt or start calling in loans.

I work at a liquor store.

Our business has been fine.
My neighborhood bar hasn't closed, btw.
The futures market shrugged off the Fed news and hit the "circuit breaker" of 5% down within minutes of opening.

Wow.

Calling it now:  They are going to close the markets.

If there is an upside to this disaster it is the fact that it is exposing how breathtakingly, fundamentally broken our carnival-game-esque banking and finance sectors are and how ruthlessly influenced our government is by them.

(03-15-2020, 09:14 PM)JMurdoch Wrote: I work at a liquor store.

Our business has been fine.

I worked in one for years. There are some folks that %100 no-bullshit believe that hard alcohol can cure a cold/flu if you drink a whole 750ml bottle when you start feeling sick. Specifically, Jaquin's Rock and Rye. It's got a few pieces of fruit floating in it, so yeah.

True, but what about the guy trying to steal your Clorox wipes or toilet paper.
(03-15-2020, 09:40 PM)history buff Wrote:

True, but what about the guy trying to steal your Clorax wipes or toilet paper.

Ultimately, when you come down to it, violence ... naked force .... is the prime authority from which all others are derived.

Need to know more intensifying?

Magic Kingdom closed at 10:00. That's it. All the parks are now shut down.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
We're in the endgame now.
Still a long way to go, but some progress:

https://apnews.com/8089a3d0ec8f9fde971bddd7b3aa2ba1

Quote:The first participant in a clinical trial for a vaccine to protect against the new coronavirus will receive an experimental dose on Monday, according to a government official.

The National Institutes of Health is funding the trial, which is taking place at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute in Seattle. The official who disclosed plans for the first participant spoke on condition of anonymity because the move has not been publicly announced.

Public health officials say it will take a year to 18 months to fully validate any potential vaccine. 

Testing will begin with 45 young, healthy volunteers with different doses of shots co-developed by NIH and Moderna Inc. There’s no chance participants could get infected from the shots, because they don’t contain the virus itself. The goal is purely to check that the vaccines show no worrisome side effects, setting the stage for larger tests.

Dozens of research groups around the world are racing to create a vaccine as COVID-19 cases continue to grow. Importantly, they’re pursuing different types of vaccines — shots developed from new technologies that not only are faster to produce than traditional inoculations but might prove more potent. Some researchers even aim for temporary vaccines, such as shots that might guard people’s health a month or two at a time while longer-lasting protection is developed.

Also in the works: Inovio Pharmaceuticals aims to begin safety tests of its vaccine candidate next month in a few dozen volunteers at the University of Pennsylvania and a testing center in Kansas City, Missouri, followed by a similar study in China and South Korea.

Even if initial safety tests go well, “you’re talking about a year to a year and a half” before any vaccine could be ready for widespread use, according to Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of NIH’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

That still would be a record-setting pace. But manufacturers know the wait — required because it takes additional studies of thousands of people to tell if a vaccine truly protects and does no harm — is hard for a frightened public.
(03-15-2020, 10:10 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: The first participant in a clinical trial for a vaccine to protect against the new coronavirus will receive an experimental dose on Monday, according to a government official.

Ooh, this is usually the part where the movie gets really good.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Nah, this is the part where the movie cuts to... ONE YEAR LATER...
Gamertag: Tweakee
(03-15-2020, 10:38 PM)Jones Wrote:
(03-15-2020, 10:10 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: The first participant in a clinical trial for a vaccine to protect against the new coronavirus will receive an experimental dose on Monday, according to a government official.

Ooh, this is usually the part where the movie gets really good.

I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
It's imperative that the virus doesn't know... or something:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1239311754401927177

Quote:Azar won’t say how many ventilators the US has on hand to fight coronavirus. He cites “national security.”
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/exclus...2020-03-15

It's always the "ex" government officials who get it.

And when it's a Bush-era official saying they're doing something stupid, you know it's REALLY stupid.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Video at the link:

https://twitter.com/BrantlyWx/status/123...0117634051

Quote:“Your actions are jeopardizing public health.” – New Orleans Police as they clear crowds from Bourbon Street.
(03-15-2020, 09:15 PM)bradito Wrote: My neighborhood bar hasn't closed, btw.

How about now?

It sucks, there's a handful of bartenders I'm friendly with that are going to be hit pretty hard by this, especially if they extend the order past the 31st.