Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The All New Sidney Lumet Thread
Nothing much to add yet, but I've been stockpiling all his available works for a shut in marathon (Coming Soon!). I've already been on a New York kick, so I'm warmed up for a fresh look at old favorites DOG DAY AFTERNOON + SERPICO.

I'm really excited about giving another chance to NIGHT FALLS ON MANHATTAN. I was lukewarm on it back in the, but I've come around on Andy Garcia somewhat.

Disappointing: can't find this psychological drama he made in '69 with Omar Sharif called THE APPOINTMENT.

Synopsis intrigues: "After becoming involved with the ex-fiancée of a business acquaintance, lawyer Federico Fendi (Omar Sharif) becomes consumed with suspicion that his new wife Carla (Anouk Aimée) may be moonlighting as a high-class prostitute. His attempts to entrap her lead to disaster."

[Image: 220px-Poster_of_The_Appointment.jpg]

Here's another one that sounds cool:

[Image: 220px-Childs_play_poster.jpg]

CHILD'S PLAY (1972) - "The film centers on the rivalry between two faculty members at St. Charles, an exclusive Catholic boarding school for boys. Joe Dobbs is an easy-going, well-liked English teacher, while Latin and Greek instructor Jerome Malley is feared and hated by his students. Malley is caring for his dying mother, and his stress is exacerbated by a series of threatening phone calls and written notes he receives. He's certain Dobbs is the source, but his caustic personality prevents him from winning any sympathy or support. Into the fray comes Paul Reis, a former student who has been hired to teach physical education, and he soon finds his loyalty torn between Dobbs and Malley, as he becomes increasingly aware of the latter's personal torments. Compounding his situation is the realization that the unbridled violence practiced by the students may be the result of demonic possession."

Mildly Controversial Viewpoint: As much as I lean heavily old school, BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOUR DEAD might be my absolute favorite.

Anyway, I'll share my thoughts more as I roll thru the works, til then feel free to praise the man, diss, and/or argue + debate.

"What's he doin'? Go back there man! He wants to kill me so bad, he can taste it! Huh? Attica! Attica! Attica!! Attica!! Attica!! Attica!! Attica!! Attica!! Attica!! Attica!"

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I love Lumet, and he's so prolific I've seen maybe a third of his work.

I love BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD, but it's not my favorite. I saw that FIND ME GUILTY was on Tubi, and I've been meaning to check that out, Vin Diesel and all. I'm a sucker for 12 ANGRY MEN, THE VERDICT and PRINCE OF THE CITY, but my fave is probably DOG DAY AFTERNOON. (SERPICO remains a blind spot after all these years)

EDIT: Also, his book MAKING MOVIES is wonderful.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Super underrated Lumet: Guilty as Sin. Totally wacked out court room drama written by Larry Cohen (!) with maybe Don Johnson's all time best performance as an unrepentant lady killer, Rebecca De Mornay wearing lots of turtle necks and Stephen Lang looking like this:

[Image: ayFnGB3.jpg]
I didn't like FIND ME GUILTY at the time, but that's another I can't wait to give another chance to.

EDIT: ha! I just bought GUILTY AS SIN today!

Guilty as Sin > Find Me Guilty
It looks like GUILTY AS SIN is available on HBO until the end of this month, and yes, I *did* look it up about two nanoseconds after reading atomtastic's post.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Atom: how well will GUILTY AS SIN play next to this one? I'm thinking Double Feature!

Hope Q&A was part of the stockpiling!
I've never actually seen A Stranger Among Us, but The Safdies where throwing it some praise on a recent Film Comment podcast.
Heads up: FAIL-SAFE, THE FUGITIVE KIND, THE DEADLY AFFAIR, THE ANDERSON TAPES and MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS are all on Criterion Channel for anybody with streaming who might be tempted to look into a free trial.
(03-11-2020, 04:30 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Hope Q&A was part of the stockpiling!

Man, you should know I already own that!

Top shelf Nolte.

My favorite Lumets:
Q & A
DOG DAY AFTERNOON
THE VERDICT
FAIL SAFE
SERPICO
Nolte is incredible in it. Assante is also fantastic as Bobby Texador. Throw in Ruben Blades' contribution to the soundtrack and it's a winner for all parties.
I'm unfamiliar with CHILD'S PLAY, but it sounds compelling!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(03-11-2020, 04:16 PM)Mangy Wrote: It looks like GUILTY AS SIN is available on HBO until the end of this month, and yes, I *did* look it up about two nanoseconds after reading atomtastic's post.
Oh man, this was great! Don Johnson is an all-time bastard in this. Definitely his best performance.
My fave Lumets. Drop me on a deserted island and I could watch any of these again, again, and again.

Network - I was too young to legally catch this on the big screen but I've since seen this on multiple formats since the early 1980s (the earliest was was a Beta tape, obviously pulled from a pan n'scan RCA Videodisc that had bad skipping issues). I still find something new with every viewing; either visually or scriptwise.
12 Angry Men (What a directorial debut: just great performances all-round in a tightly confined space).
Dog Day Afternoon (Part of a 1-2 punch with Pacino)
Serpico (See above)
The Pawnbroker (Steiger is incredible in this!)
Honourable comedic mention: His film adaptation of Ira Levin's Deathtrap (Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve 'kill' in this one - and then there's Irene Worth as Helga Ten Dorp; who I had never heard about prior to seeing this but steals the fucking show every time she shows up).
DEATHTRAP is a lot of fun.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
PRINCE OF THE CITY is free on VUDU.

You're welcome.

The real ending to Big...
DEATHTRAP is a real hoot. Great fun. I've seen the actual play performed and I honestly think that the filmed version works 'better'.

I remember seeing it theatrically with my parents. There were plenty of howls at the screen when 'the moment' happens. I won't spoil it but those of you who have seen the film know what 'moment' I'm talking about.
Rewatched BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD. Talk about family strife.

Hoffman is completely unhinged when they go rip off the drug dealer. Goddamn he gets red-faced.
That's the one with....that scene....with Hoffman and Tomei, yes?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
The scene where Hoffman unravels emotionally in front of Tomei in their Saab? Yes, masterful work.
Hahahah...no.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Oh you mean when they fornicate.
Not much to add, but I really like of what most consider Lumet's lesser films, Family Business and Night Falls on Manhattan. The main casting of Broderick and Garcia in each film is a bit off, but the supporting work in the films is stellar. Particularly fond of Ron Leibman as the somewhat hypertense DA in Night Falls on Manhattan, and Connery in Family Business is maybe my favourite work of his.

The forgotten entry in Lumet's resume is Power, maybe with good reason...but early JT Walsh and Denzel...

Also a big fan of Q&A. Lumet would be the guy to adapt Don Winslow's NYPD books.

I liked Garcia in MANHATTAN. One of his better turns as a lead. Movie is full of great work from everyone, especially Holm.
Would've loved a film with Holm and Gandolfini on the job.