Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Coronavirus Thread, brought to you by Randall Flagg
what’s happening with Best Buy?
They're technically closing their stores but are moving to curbside pick up only.
http://www.startribune.com/best-buy-to-t...568995142/
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(03-22-2020, 12:53 PM)Nooj Wrote: what’s happening with Best Buy?

They refused to close. Same thing with GameStop. Two companies that are circling the drain and don’t want to admit it.
gamestop, I understand. they tried to label themselves as essential businesses while trying to go BUSINESS AS USUAL with employees having notes for authorities

bestbuy moving into curbside pickup only while paying its inactive employees for two more weeks seems a different category
Currently listening to this...On The Media podcast

Quote:Bracing for Impact

As a global pandemic threatens to upend life as we know it, the future is becoming increasingly difficult to grapple with. On this week's On the Media, we turn to people who have been spent years readying themselves for societal collapse: doomsday preppers. Plus, how a different disaster — Hurricane Katrina — revealed inconsistencies in how we care for one another in times of crisis. 

1. As the pandemic continues to disrupt our communities and daily routines, the very passage of time feels distorted. Brooke [@otmbrooke] examines how covid-19 is warping a sense of chronology. Listen here.
2. OTM Producer Micah Loewinger [@MicahLoewinger] immerses himself in the survivalist media sphere, and talks to Richard Mitchell Jr., professor emeritus of sociology at Oregon State University, about how preppers are reacting to news that the moment they've been planning for may finally be here. Listen here.
3. Rebecca Onion [@rebeccaonion], staff writer at Slate, on survivalist novelist and blogger John Wesley Rawles and the rise of prepper fiction. Listen here.
4. Vann Newkirk II, staff writer at The Atlantic and host of the new podcast "Floodlines," on the lessons of Hurricane Katrina. Listen here.

I can't but help be mildly amused that 'doomsday preppers' have been seemingly ill prepared for this situation.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
man, I haven't listened to ON THE MEDIA for so long

I'll do that today
(03-22-2020, 01:18 PM)Nooj Wrote: gamestop, I understand. they tried to label themselves as essential businesses while trying to go BUSINESS AS USUAL with employees having notes for authorities

bestbuy moving into curbside pickup only while paying its inactive employees for two more weeks seems a different category

They only moved to curbside after a week of being ridiculed on social media.
"Turns out using a bidet is really hard. You just splash poop water everwhere, and then you're left with a dripping wet poopy asshole." -(Prepper with a garden hose and not enough TP)
Rand Paul has tested positive for COVID-19
(03-22-2020, 01:53 PM)JMurdoch Wrote: Rand Paul has tested positive for COVID-19

Let's remember that THIS MOTHERFUCKER held up the relief bill a few days back...
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
(03-22-2020, 01:36 PM)serpico jones Wrote: They only moved to curbside after a week of being ridiculed on social media.

ohhhhh I missed that week of ridicule!

I mostly just saw people railing on gamestop
Rail on Best Buy if you'd like but they gave me a really sweet deal on a Roku TV for my Dad's bedroom. That's good for at least like 5 deaths honestly.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Couldn’t have happened to a nicer Libertarian! I guess the private sector will come in and save him!

Karmic.

I won’t lie. I played “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” when I read Rand Paul caught this. Try calling it a hoax now.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I make it a personal rule not to allow myself to take pleasure in the death of any (non-fictional) human being. But fortunately, Rand Paul has that swank government healthcare that American elected officials get, the people who pay their salaries don't, and Rand Paul himself would never in a million years consider extending to anyone other than himself, so I can relax and think about how he probably won't die and will only have a long and miserable bout of sickness that might as well have been laser-targeted by God for how contextually fitting it is!
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...nd=premium

Look at that! Hedge funds (many of which apparently forgot how to hedge) see this as a glorious opportunity for you to give them more of your money to fuck around with!

My state (Ohio) begins a shelter-in-place order starting at 11:59 PM tomorrow, going through at least April 6.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-hea...t-covid-19
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I watched the RI Governor's daily video address. We are at 0 fatalities, and added 17 confirmed cases for a total of 83, but she didn't say out of how many total tests. I'm assuming it's a low number.
Hi Dad, I have some bad news....

Seriously, where the fuck is the federal government?

https://twitter.com/danielsgoldman/statu...2001457159

Quote:I spoke earlier today with the Dir of Emergency Medicine at the largest hospital in Westchester, who told me that the hospital’s supply of PPE was so dire this week that he drove to Brooklyn and bought 1,000 masks at $6.50/mask with his own money. Where is the federal government?
...THE fuck IS GOING ON?!?
...don't do it
How do you make a pandemic worse? By burning bridges with the other world superpower.

A President with the tiniest bit of empathy or political savvy could've turned this event into the building block of goodwill between China and the US that would've lasted decades.

But we elected Dildo Pumpkins, so we get pointless animosity and hatred. Hooray for the Idiocracy!
Gamertag: Tweakee
(03-22-2020, 04:59 PM)MichaelM Wrote: My state (Ohio) begins a shelter-in-place order starting at 11:59 PM tomorrow, going through at least April 6.

I'm waiting for the announcement here in MN.
Harvey Weinstein got it in jail.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Ahahahaha

Rand Paul went swimming at the Senate gym before knowing his results.

He's a doctor.
How did Harvey even get a test? In my area, it's fruitless to even try. You'd have better odds finding a kilo of pure Colombian cocaine than a COVID-19 test.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

That Republican Senate bill includes a slush fund the Treasury gets to use at its discretion.
(03-22-2020, 05:38 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 04:59 PM)MichaelM Wrote: My state (Ohio) begins a shelter-in-place order starting at 11:59 PM tomorrow, going through at least April 6.

I'm waiting for the announcement here in MN.

So having just read the order in its entirety, I've learned that religious services are exempt from the order (which says no gatherings with more than 10 people).

Why fucking bother, then? If you're not going to ban voluntary gatherings with hundreds or thousands of people, why the fuck bother?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
A church in the township I live in had 200 people attend services this morning. I hope their ignorance doesn't spread the virus. 
https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/...anP0S9vGoI
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
(03-22-2020, 05:36 PM)farsight Wrote: How do you make a pandemic worse? By burning bridges with the other world superpower.

A President with the tiniest bit of empathy or political savvy could've turned this event into the building block of goodwill between China and the US that would've lasted decades.

But we elected Dildo Pumpkins, so we get pointless animosity and hatred. Hooray for the Idiocracy!

China is not, and has never been, our friend.  China is a nightmare neo-Stalinist regime that has inexplicably been tolerated for decades.  Probably because multinational corporations hate having to comply with labor laws in countries that actually place some value on the lives of its citizens.

(03-22-2020, 07:01 PM)Chaz Rock City Wrote: A church in the township I live in had 200 people attend services this morning. I hope their ignorance doesn't spread the virus. 
https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/...anP0S9vGoI

Quote: However, he told his congregation the nation’s reaction to coronavirus “could possibly be, disguised in everything else, a direct attack on the church.”

SHUT THE FUCK UP.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's