Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Coronavirus Thread, brought to you by Randall Flagg
I went to Target today where they're almost out of everything except for customers standing shoulder to shoulder. Hopefully no one has it, otherwise holy shit.
Rand Paul also was embroiled in this nonsense of his own doing recently too:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rand-paul-...tax-credit

Quote:In a Senate floor speech Wednesday, Sen. Rand Paul appeared to describe undocumented immigrants as not “legitimate” people while making the case that they should not be given access to federal child tax credits. His office later said he was referring to people who fraudulently claimed a child in order to reap the federal benefit.

Paul was pushing an amendment that proposes several measures to defray the cost of the sweeping responses to the coronavirus. The  Kentucky Republican’s idea was to block those without a Social Security number from getting the child tax credit, which he said would save the government $26 billion. “If you want to apply for money from the government through the child tax credit program, then you have to be a legitimate person,” said Paul from the floor. “It has nothing to do with not liking immigrants. It has to do with saying, taxpayer money shouldn’t go to non-people.” Millions of undocumented immigrants live and work in the U.S. without a Social Security number, but most pay some form of taxes. A recent study from New American Economy, an immigration think tank, found undocumented immigrants contributed $13 billion to the Social Security fund in 2016, either through a fake Social Security number or via a special taxpayer category set up by the IRS.

A statement from Paul’s office said that when the senator “spoke of ‘non-people’ he was referring to literally fraudulent practices where individuals claim children that don’t exist or children they don’t have, but their tax credits increase due to this fraudulent practice… this has nothing to do with undocumented immigrants.”
(03-22-2020, 07:18 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 05:36 PM)farsight Wrote: How do you make a pandemic worse? By burning bridges with the other world superpower.

A President with the tiniest bit of empathy or political savvy could've turned this event into the building block of goodwill between China and the US that would've lasted decades.

But we elected Dildo Pumpkins, so we get pointless animosity and hatred. Hooray for the Idiocracy!
China is not, and has never been, our friend.  China is a nightmare neo-Stalinist regime that has inexplicably been tolerated for decades.  Probably because multinational corporations hate having to comply with labor laws in countries that actually place some value on the lives of its citizens.
^ This. Not that it isn't profoundly stupid and counter-productive to be pushing dumbshit conspiracy theories to blame them damned furriners when at the very least we could be focusing on our own problems, if not working together to address a global-scale issue, but let's not go all crazy getting cartoon hearts in our collective pupils over the very government that initially tried to cover up this exact issue and whitewash its own bureaucratic incompetency, negligence, and malpractice at the start of the crisis. Just because they're only an evil totalitarian regime and not also cartoonishly racist and stupid beyond measure doesn't make them The Good Guys here.
Mitch is really upset that Senate Democrats hate his shitty slush fund bill:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/statu...8888147972

Quote:This is about as pissed off as I’ve seen McConnell on the floor.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/statu...8338972672

Quote:McConnell: “We’ll have this cloture vote again...and hopefully some adults will show up on the other side of the room.”

Here's why Democrats hate this shit:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1...6334806018

Quote:Ds upset about many parts of GOP industry aid package:

- No requirement to retain workers
- Firm names don't have to be disclosed for 6 months
- Treasury gets latitude in picking who gets loans
- No guarantees on worker health care

Can this be resolved?

Keep fighting him.
Because god fucking forbid we give money directly to the people, no, let's give it to the corporations who we're just certain will use it to take care of their oh I can't even finish that.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Rep. Justin Amash doesn't like it either:

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1...8355647488

Quote:Let’s not give Mnuchin a secret slush fund or even a regular slush fund.
(03-22-2020, 08:07 PM)commodorejohn Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 05:36 PM)farsight Wrote: How do you make a pandemic worse? By burning bridges with the other world superpower.

A President with the tiniest bit of empathy or political savvy could've turned this event into the building block of goodwill between China and the US that would've lasted decades.

But we elected Dildo Pumpkins, so we get pointless animosity and hatred. Hooray for the Idiocracy!
China is not, and has never been, our friend.  China is a nightmare neo-Stalinist regime that has inexplicably been tolerated for decades.  Probably because multinational corporations hate having to comply with labor laws in countries that actually place some value on the lives of its citizens.
^ This. Not that it isn't profoundly stupid and counter-productive to be pushing dumbshit conspiracy theories to blame them damned furriners when at the very least we could be focusing on our own problems, if not working together to address a global-scale issue, but let's not go all crazy getting cartoon hearts in our collective pupils over the very government that initially tried to cover up this exact issue and whitewash its own bureaucratic incompetency, negligence, and malpractice at the start of the crisis. Just because they're only an evil totalitarian regime and not also cartoonishly racist and stupid beyond measure doesn't make them The Good Guys here.

Let's be clear that the above reasons are not why Lord Dampnut hates China. I have zero doubts that if he could, he'd erase all labor laws and turn America into China II.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Definitely.
Get ready:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/22/investing...index.html

Quote:Dow futures fell 5%, hitting the "limit down" maximum allowable limit and halting futures from falling further within minutes after futures trading began Sunday.

Dow (INDU) futures dropped 954 points. S&P 500 (SPX) and Nasdaq (COMP) futures also fell around 5%.

The sharp drop in stock futures points to another volatile week for Wall Street as coronavirus continues to take a toll on public health and the economy in the United States and elsewhere.

The decline came shortly before a key procedural Senate vote on a massive stimulus package to help Americans handle the crisis failed Sunday evening, pushing out the timeline for relief.
(03-22-2020, 08:14 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Because god fucking forbid we give money directly to the people, no, let's give it to the corporations who we're just certain will use it to take care of their oh I can't even finish that.

Give money to people? Doubtful...Loan? Sounds more likely...
...don't do it
The amount of self-quarantines in the Senate is pretty high. Democrats could be in charge of the Senate if this keeps up. Republicans have a +1 majority at the moment.
(03-22-2020, 07:18 PM)Overlord Wrote: China is not, and has never been, our friend.  China is a nightmare neo-Stalinist regime that has inexplicably been tolerated for decades.  Probably because multinational corporations hate having to comply with labor laws in countries that actually place some value on the lives of its citizens.

I'm not talking about warm hugs and singing hymns together.

I'm talking about an opportunity to easily improve relations with both the Chinese government and its people.

Or we can do what we're doing now: make them enemies who wish us dead. With cause.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Sen. Chris Murphy earlier today:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status...2708359171

Quote:Here's what I know.

Republicans walked away from negotiations last night, and this morning showed up with:

- no real funding to save hospitals
- no real funding to save states
- slush fund for corporations
- no-strings bailouts for corporations

This is $1.5T. Do it right.

Meanwhile, Adam Jentleson - Harry Reid's former deputy chief of staff - had this to say:

https://twitter.com/AJentleson/status/12...3625565185

Quote:With a chance to show leadership in a time of crisis, McConnell produced a bill that couldn’t even get 51 votes. He knew he didn’t have the votes - Manchin was firmly opposed. McConnell called the vote anyway in an attempted power move - but it failed because Dems showed spine.

Politico's Jake Sherman is saying Mnuchin will be on Fox Business in the morning to try to calm the markets:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1...1498488833

Quote:MNUCHIN is going on Fox Business tomorrow morning at 830. Have to imagine there will be a big effort to calm the markets, which, for some reason, it would be easy to pass a $1 trillion bill in about a week’s time.

And here's an extensive video from Sen. Doug Jones:

https://twitter.com/SenDougJones/status/...1755331584

Quote:We need a bill that does more for the working folks who are struggling the most, not no-strings bailouts for corporations. The Senate will get something done for the American people, but we need to stop wasting time on political games.

Video at the link.
(03-22-2020, 08:07 PM)commodorejohn Wrote:

I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but China's ruling government IS ABSOLUTELY CARTOONISHLY RACIST BEYOND MEASURE.  Openly, horrifically racist (just look at their treatment of the Uyghur people) on a scale that we maybe haven't seen since the atrocities of the WW2 era. What China is going to do in Africa over the next few decades is going to be pretty reminiscent of the attitude of King Leopold.

There ain't nothing in the "Western World" (despite all of our own problems) that's even in the conversation with what China has been up to for decades.  

(03-22-2020, 09:45 PM)farsight Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 07:18 PM)Overlord Wrote: China is not, and has never been, our friend.  China is a nightmare neo-Stalinist regime that has inexplicably been tolerated for decades.  Probably because multinational corporations hate having to comply with labor laws in countries that actually place some value on the lives of its citizens.

I'm not talking about warm hugs and singing hymns together.

I'm talking about an opportunity to easily improve relations with both the Chinese government and its people.

Or we can do what we're doing now: make them enemies who wish us dead. With cause.

Only on the internet can I see comments that suggest that "China has just cause to wish us dead" made with a straight face.  I realize emotions are running high, but let's be fucking real:  China is a brutal totalitarian dictatorship and the only reason why they've grown and become ingrained to a level of co-dependency in so many economies is because Big Business saw a chance for cheap labor.  What should have been happening for the last 30-40 years (since the Tiananmen square massacre, if not earlier) is China should have been condemned and economically sanctioned into the fucking ground. 

Let's just look at one tiny, somewhat topical, example of just how little of a fuck the ruling party of China gives for anything other than the desires of the ruling party of China:  For how long have scientists and medical professionals been saying that "wet markets" needed to be banned as they were a fucking pandemic waiting to happen?  I mean, it only took what, four fucking worldwide pandemics/near-pandemics that were China-spanwed before China FINALLY banned the sale of game-meat?

Economist David Rothschild:

https://twitter.com/DavMicRot/status/124...2691777536

Quote:NY sends about $25 billion more dollars each year to federal government than it gets back 

https://www.osc.state.ny.us/reports/budg...r-2017.pdf

We do that out of love our country, and collective health, wealth, security. But, now the federal government is telling us to go fuck ourselves in our time of need?

If NY cannot count on federal aid now, when we are literally under attack, our hospitals overrun & under-supplied, then it is time to reconsider the nature of our union.

If NY voted for Trump we would have more aid in NY, and less people would die in NY. That is not how a functioning republic works.
(03-22-2020, 10:20 PM)Overlord Wrote: Only on the internet can I see comments that suggest that "China has just cause to wish us dead" made with a straight face.  I realize emotions are running high, but let's be fucking real:  China is a brutal totalitarian dictatorship and the only reason why they've grown and become ingrained to a level of co-dependency in so many economies is because Big Business saw a chance for cheap labor.  What should have been happening for the last 30-40 years (since the Tiananmen square massacre, if not earlier) is China should have been condemned and economically sanctioned into the fucking ground. 

The face of the United States is making racist statements towards every Chinese person, and espousing conspiracy theories that the virus is a Chinese bioweapon. Casually discussing another nation's people as being less than human and tossing around ideas that would be grounds for war are pretty simple ways to give another nation and its entire population a justified reason to look at you as their enemy. Not rival, but enemy, in every sense of the word.

That is completely removed from any discussion about what our everyday policy towards China should be. Spreading racism and lies is our current policy, and there's no way that ends well.
Gamertag: Tweakee
https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidJollyFL/...5667653633

(02-26-2020, 10:51 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: Anyway, I plan on just spending all my free time at home not interacting with anybody. Y'know, like usual.

commodorejohn was social distancing before it was all the rage.
A bit of levity (and some truth)...

Attached Files Image(s)

frankiesmithart.com
INPRNT Shop (for prints)

"I like arguments" 
Prince

Well, we're all working from home now. This is a very strange time.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
He's clearly spooked by the markets:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/stat...5916782593

Quote:WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!
(03-22-2020, 10:20 PM)Overlord Wrote: Let's just look at one tiny, somewhat topical, example of just how little of a fuck the ruling party of China gives for anything other than the desires of the ruling party of China:  For how long have scientists and medical professionals been saying that "wet markets" needed to be banned as they were a fucking pandemic waiting to happen?  I mean, it only took what, four fucking worldwide pandemics/near-pandemics that were China-spanwed before China FINALLY banned the sale of game-meat?

That's a cultural thing as much as anything else. It's a bit like saying why doesn't the US government just ban guns since they cause so much trouble? (Sure, they don't give a shit about their citizens either, to run with the analogy all the way, but we'd have to say it's complicated).
(03-22-2020, 10:20 PM)Overlord Wrote: I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but China's ruling government IS ABSOLUTELY CARTOONISHLY RACIST BEYOND MEASURE.  Openly, horrifically racist (just look at their treatment of the Uyghur people) on a scale that we maybe haven't seen since the atrocities of the WW2 era. What China is going to do in Africa over the next few decades is going to be pretty reminiscent of the attitude of King Leopold.
Yeah, I coulda phrased that better. The emphasis was on "cartoonish" as in the high-profile resurgence of grotesque caricature Keystone Klan types who got the signal that it was okay to finally come out of the woodwork in 2016 after having had to spend the preceding 30-40 years pretending to not be disgusting creeps for social purposes. As far as the atrocities the Chinese government is committing, you're absolutely not wrong.
I look forward to seeing the reaction when, and this is assuming we aren't thrust into the Mad Max era of civilization, companies - having not gone under and some, perhaps, even remaining solvent during this crisis, insist that their people come back to the office after working from home and, wonder of wonders, still being productive.

The world is changing every day.

Red states that didn't expand Medicaid are really going to regret it:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot...witter.com

Quote:Rural hospitals may not be able to keep their doors open as the coronavirus pandemic saps their cash, their CEOs warn, just as communities most need them.

As the coronavirus sweeps across the United States, all hospitals are facing cancellations of doctor visits and procedures by a terrified populace — profitable services that usually help fund hospitals. Meanwhile, the institutions also find themselves needing to pay higher prices for personal protective equipment such as face masks and other gear that's in short supply. Vice President Mike Pence called on hospitals nationwide Wednesday to delay elective surgeries to free up capacity and resources for future coronavirus patients.

The American Hospital Association responded Thursday by asking Congress for $100 billion for all hospitals to offset coronavirus costs, citing rural hospitals' inability to withstand huge losses for long.

"If we're not able to address the short-term cash needs of rural hospitals, we're going to see hundreds of rural hospitals close before this crisis ends," warned Alan Morgan, the head of the National Rural Health Association, which represents 21,000 health care providers and hospitals. "This is not hyperbole."

Well before the COVID-19 threat, rural health care's profitability had collapsed nationwide due to a combination of narrowing Medicare reimbursements, a larger share of patients lacking high-paying private insurance and the hollowing out of rural America. Given such pressures, more than 120 rural hospitals have been forced to close over the past decade.

Those hospitals in small-town America that have survived rely heavily on moneymakers such as elective surgeries, physical therapy and lab tests to make their razor-thin margins work. But, according to the Chicago-based Chartis Center for Rural Health, almost half of them still operate in the red.

So the added financial hit from the coronavirus outbreak could be the final straw for many rural hospitals — exposing the complicated business dynamics at play within the United States' critical public health infrastructure.

"This virus, and what it is causing for these hospitals, is the perfect storm that will close these hospitals at a time this country critically needs them," says Robin Rau, CEO of Miller County Hospital in southwestern Georgia. "This is going to be the death blow to them."

Two weeks ago, she started eliminating all medical services that were not urgent. She estimates that has cut off at least half of the hospital's revenue. Other CEOs warned similar cuts at their hospitals mean they won't make payroll in the coming weeks.

The National Rural Health Association, along with many rural hospital executives, is lobbying for immediate cash assistance, no-interest loans, Medicare reimbursement adjustments and other suggestions to alleviate the pain. The association favors a bailout plan from Sens. John Barrasso, R-Wyo., and Michael Bennet, D-Colo., which in early drafts called for the equivalent of a three-month advance based on hospitals' previous patient numbers, according to Bennet's office.

"Rural hospitals have already been closing their doors at startling rates, and this crisis will only exacerbate that fact," Bennet tells KHN in a written statement. "There is an incredible opportunity for rural hospitals to shoulder some of the burdens of caring for patients and helping to meet possible bed shortages."

Still, many rural hospital CEOs worry any assistance may come too late.

"And yet I hear they're going to bail out the cruise lines? Really?" Missouri's Scotland County Hospital CEO Dr. Randy Tobler says.

As Tobler looks at his older, sicker, underinsured patient population, he says he is afraid the hospital, located on the state's northeastern rural border, might last only until May before running out of money for payroll.

"In the truly safety-net areas, we're being called to high duty," he says. "And we're running on fumes."

Michael Purvis, CEO of Candler County Hospital in Metter, Ga., says he's already fallen into a negative cash flow situation in the past week. The number of patients coming to his hospital, which is about 65 miles outside Savannah, for profitable outpatient procedures has dropped by half as people in droves have canceled their surgeries, MRIs and physical therapy. Purvis has implemented fever checks of people at the entrance. But he remains fearful that his billing staff could be forced to quarantine themselves if they fall ill — effectively shutting off the hospital's revenue.

"If my billers and coders stay healthy, I can make it to April, maybe end of June," Purvis says.

On top of the massive loss of revenue, Julie Jones, CEO at Community Hospital-Fairfax in northwestern Missouri, says she can only get specialty N95 respirator masks that offer critical protection for her front-line providers for about $5 each — more than 16 times the normal cost of 30 cents.

Angela Ammons, CEO of Clinch Memorial Hospital in Homerville, Ga., says she has warned staff that if hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes continue to go missing, she'll watch the video footage and fire on the spot anyone caught stealing supplies. And she is so worried about running out of protective equipment, she's asking any of her "crafty" staff with sewing machines to sew cotton masks.

"I would rather staff go in with a fabric mask than no mask at all," she says.

To be sure, rural hospitals are not as equipped as larger hospital systems to handle the most serious coronavirus cases. Many are not outfitted with ICUs or enough doctors and staff to handle multiple intensive care patients. That means they have to transfer those patients to larger hospitals.

Still, rural experts argue that their bed and health care capacity can be leveraged to keep potential coronavirus cases out of the major hospitals. Plus, rural facilities could be places for initial triage or eventual recovery care.

And if nothing changes, Rau worries, the country is about to lose this critical public health infrastructure.

"We can talk all we want about the cost of health care in this country in this ridiculous health care system we have," she says. "But at a time like this, who for a minute would think about getting rid of rural hospitals?"
https://mobile.twitter.com/mckaycoppins/...7129041927

(03-23-2020, 12:10 AM)Iron Maiden Wrote: He's clearly spooked by the markets:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/stat...5916782593

Quote:WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!

Nothing but respect for my Big Boy president, staying tough and trying to get a good deal done with the virus like its the season finale of THE APPRENTICE
He's at the re-tweeting phase of his latest turnaround:

https://twitter.com/Mr_Berman/status/124...2434450439

As a general warning: be very, very wary of what sites you click on for your Corona Virus information. There has been an explosion in domain registrations for Corona related websites, most of which are virus laden. Only go to legit sites for your Corona Virus news.

Also, be wary of the millions of phishing attempts coming your way.

"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

On brand, until the bitter end:

[Image: ETzbyYpXkAAo0xW?format=jpg&name=900x900]
Of course they are. Motherfuckers.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Larry Kudlow is reinforcing the president's messaging: get ready to sacrifice human lives to shore up The Numbers (the market numbers, of course)

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1...6897000451

Quote:"The president is right. The cure can't be worse than the disease. And we're going to have to make some difficult tradeoffs."
'As long as the 'right' people die, we'll get through this ok.'
Gov. Reeves of Mississippi is not handling any of this well:

https://www.mississippifreepress.com/mis...id-19.html

Quote:Frustrated with what he called a failure of Mississippi’s top leadership on COVID-19, Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton shut down an automobile auction in his city on Saturday after it had already drawn a large crowd. The auction at the Tupelo Furniture Market came at a time when medical experts are urging Americans to avoid unnecessary public events and groups.

“From the beginning of this crisis until today, I have been waiting on the governor of the state of Mississippi to lead,” Shelton said in a press statement on Saturday, referring to Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves. “He has abdicated that leadership role in a state of emergency, and we will no longer wait in Tupelo.”

To date, Reeves has chosen not to give a state directive on social distancing, group size and which businesses and activities should shut down, as governors of other states facing a growing coronavirus crisis have done. 

Shelton’s order on Saturday also banned all gatherings in the city of 50 people or more. The mayor previously issued an executive order on March 19 requiring restaurants to limit in-house dining to less than 50% of their typical capacity and allowing them and other businesses to set up tents to facilitate curbside pickup and carry-out services. Under the order, grocery-store employees must begin wearing latex gloves. 

Starting Monday, all Tupelo restaurants must stop offering in-house dining and move to only curbside, carryout or delivery services. Gas stations and small retail businesses will only be allowed to admit 10 patrons at a time. Grocery-store employees in the city will be required to wear latex gloves.

“We will issue more executive orders due to the State’s failure to mandate any safety precautions outside of the school system across the state,” Shelton tweeted Saturday, referring to Gov. Reeves’ decision to close the state’s public schools until at least mid-April.

Since announcing the state’s first case on March 11, the Mississippi State Department of Health has confirmed at least 140 cases and one death in the state--popular Bay St. Louis barber Howard “Fade” Pickens—though an ongoing shortage of testing supplies makes it difficult to get an accurate count. 

Five of those cases are in Lee County in northeast Mississippi where Tupelo is the county seat. Shelton tweeted Saturday night that he is working to help develop a consistent COVID-19 safety plan across the rest of Lee County.

As the number of confirmed cases continues to rise, mayors and local leaders like Shelton are left to implement a patchwork of measures to try to combat the coronavirus’ spread throughout their own communities, some more strict than others.