Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Coronavirus Thread, brought to you by Randall Flagg
Please make it stop:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1242508914010345472

Quote:Trump: "You can't compare this to 1918" because if you got that flu, you had a 50% chance of dying. (Mortality rate estimates vary, but they are all way below 50%.
I hope no other network outside of Fox News is airing this nightmare
(03-24-2020, 02:09 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: We are probably mere hours away from Dr Oz replacing Tony Fauci on the coronavirus taskforce
This isn't even a joke.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status...1426915328
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

Coronavirus is spreading at the nation’s largest single-site jail:

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/03/23/...ronavirus/

Quote:CHICAGO (CBS) — Two detainees at the Cook County Jail tested positive for coronavirus Monday, the county Sheriff’s office announced.

The detainees were being held in isolation at Cermak Health Services adjacent to the jail, where they have been housed since they first started exhibiting flulike symptoms on Friday.

One of the detainees is a 42-year-old man who has been in custody since late December 2019, when he was ordered held in lieu of $250,000 bond on charges of aggravated driving under the influence. He was being housed in the Residential Treatment Unit when he became symptomatic, the sheriff’s office said.

The second detainee is an 18-year-old man who has been in custody since mid-February when he was ordered held without bail on charges of aggravated discharge of a firearm. He was being held in Division VI of the jail at the time he became symptomatic, the sheriff’s office said.

Cermak staff are testing anyone with flulike symptoms and are closely monitoring the detainees in the living units where the men who tested positive were housed.

The sheriff’s office also noted the entire jail complex undergoes regular and comprehensive disinfecting, and all inmates have access to soap and water and know how to spot the virus.

On Sunday, the sheriff’s office announced a Cook County correctional officer who works at Cermak Health Services had tested positive for the virus.
(03-24-2020, 02:15 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Please make it stop:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1242508914010345472

Quote:Trump: "You can't compare this to 1918" because if you got that flu, you had a 50% chance of dying. (Mortality rate estimates vary, but they are all way below 50%.

The mortality rate of the Spanish Flu was about 3%.

If 50% of the US gets the Coronavirus and only 1% die, that'd be 1.65 million. The Spanish Flu killed 675k Americans (more than any US war, including the Civil War).
Gamertag: Tweakee
On a conference call today, I had a coworker say she'd heard that COVID-19 originated with "Chinese chemical experiments" and she had no idea what a wet market was.

Which in turn forced me to sort of side with another coworker who was making remarks about the wet markets that sounded slightly racist at best. As in I had to affirm that he was correct about the origins....but I also pointed out that with anti-vaxxers and other fringe elements, Americans aren't in a great position to scold others about cultural practices.

I think everyone was pissed at me.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Well done, MichaelM!

(03-24-2020, 03:22 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Which in turn forced me to sort of side with another coworker who was making remarks about the wet markets that sounded slightly racist at best. As in I had to affirm that he was correct about the origins....but I also pointed out that with anti-vaxxers and other fringe elements, Americans aren't in a great position to scold others about cultural practices.

Well ... anti-vaxxers don't have much of a high horse from which to scold the Chinese government about its idiotic allowance of "wet market"/wild-bush-meat-markets (despite multiple prior pandemics), but I'm not sure what that has to do with the vast majority of other Americans.

(03-24-2020, 03:27 PM)doc happenin Wrote: Well done, MichaelM!

.... if I was a co-worker of MichaelM's, I'd be somewhat irritated at the implicit suggestion that apparently all Americans bear responsibility for the views of anti-vaxxers or other "fringe" elements.

If you think someone is being racist or culturally insensitive, just point that out.  Trying to rebut it by going over-inclusive with inflammatory whataboutism is just going to piss people off.

(03-24-2020, 03:06 PM)farsight Wrote: The mortality rate of the Spanish Flu was about 3%.

If 50% of the US gets the Coronavirus and only 1% die, that'd be 1.65 million. The Spanish Flu killed 675k Americans (more than any US war, including the Civil War).

The CoronaVirus problem is mostly one of scale ... that it doesn't sound "so" scary (though still pretty scary) with a mere .5%-1.5%ish death rate ... until you see how horribly communicative it is and start doing the math.  When people who don't take it seriously start doing the math in their head about just how many people might become infected shit gets terrifying real fast.

The point is that he was kind of ranting about how the Chinese allow these unsanitary/unhealthy practices. I think it's a fair comparison, since currently in America people can legally withhold vaccines from their kids, and we've already seen outbreaks of diseases thought dead or the next best thing here because of it.

At this point in history, I tend to think Americans taking other countries to task for just about anything is the height of hypocrisy. (And yes that statement's a bit hyperbolic!)
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Like saying a certain book series is so and so when you yourself haven't finished said book series?

BOOM! Crossthread.

Not that any one life is more valuable than another, but I think this is the first death of note from the virus.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/amp/c.php?...1-20200324
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(03-24-2020, 03:41 PM)doc happenin Wrote: Like saying a certain book series is so and so when you yourself haven't finished said book series?

BOOM! Crossthread.

[Image: jsbti.gif]

(I'm still reading book summaries, thinking about taking Overlord's tacit encouragement to skip actually reading Knife of Dreams and start with Gathering Storm)

(03-24-2020, 03:35 PM)MichaelM Wrote: The point is that he was kind of ranting about how the Chinese allow these unsanitary/unhealthy practices. I think it's a fair comparison, since currently in America people can legally withhold vaccines from their kids, and we've already seen outbreaks of diseases thought dead or the next best thing here because of it.

At this point in history, I tend to think Americans taking other countries to task for just about anything is the height of hypocrisy. (And yes that statement's a bit hyperbolic!)

Anti-vaxxers use religious freedom laws (which China doesn't have) as a pretext to avoid vaccinations. I think this is an abhorrent practice, but it's a bit different than a country allowing bloody bushmeat markets to continue existing despite their having spawned multiple pandemics previously. Also China, in general, has pretty lax/indifferent hygiene and food/water standards compared to most "Western" nations.

"Americans taking other countries to task for just about anything" ... oh boy.  Yes, the actions of the U.S. Government are completely indistinguishable from, say, the actions of the government of North Korea.  

(03-24-2020, 03:41 PM)doc happenin Wrote: Like saying a certain book series is so and so when you yourself haven't finished said book series?

BOOM! Crossthread.

Brilliantly done.  I award you 200 points and name you winner of the Triwizard tournament.

**There's maybe 50-75 pages of actual needed content in Knife of Dreams. It's bad. Gathering Storm renewed my interest in the series from the badly, absolutely needed, 10000 pound weight lifted off my back opening chapter.

What are you, SOME KIND OF ATTORNEY?!

Quote:Yes, the actions of the U.S. Government are completely indistinguishable from, say, the actions of the government of North Korea.  

First, I said I was being hyperbolic.

Second, the U.S. Government is currently killing children by putting them in cages. As far as I know, not even North Korea is doing that.

No, the U.S. is not "as bad" as North Korea. But I think we've had enough come to light in the last five years, let alone what we know about what's been done in the government's name over the last 200 years, to have some humility and awareness when we're calling other countries out for bad behavior.

I'm good with agreeing my original analogy wasn't particularly strong (I don't have legal training to make great arguments on the fly!).

WaPo reporting that Trump wants the "country opened" by Easter:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/202...test-news/

(WaPo is providing free access for all COVID-19-related articles.)
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

(03-24-2020, 03:51 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Second, the U.S. Government is currently killing children by putting them in cages. As far as I know, not even North Korea is doing that.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/18-mig...ied-obama/
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/why-...y-n1010316

This is a deplorable and sad situation. If we can afford 15+ trillion dollar aircraft carriers we can afford to have a sanely and safely administered secure southern border.

The fact that I can type this online without fear of being jailed or having my social credit score torpedoed is one of the biggest differences between the U.S. and China/North Korea.

**I'm sure that North Korea treats the children of dissidents with utmost fairness and decency.

The news in Spain is getting pretty grim:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/m...s-covid-19

Quote:Doctors in Spain have complained of a lack of basic protective equipment as 514 people died with the virus in the country in a single day and the latest figures revealed that Spanish healthcare workers account for more than 13% of the country’s 39,673 cases.

Spain, the second-most affected country in Europe after Italy, has been in lockdown since 14 March, but is struggling to slow the spread of the disease, which has so far claimed 2,696 lives.

The Madrid region has logged 12,352 cases – almost a third of the national total – and 1,535 deaths.
(03-24-2020, 04:18 PM)leto ii Wrote: WaPo reporting that Trump wants the "country opened" by Easter:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/202...test-news/

(WaPo is providing free access for all COVID-19-related articles.)

Thank you, Mr Trump, for 'resurrecting' the economy and allowing me go to Applebee's for Easter brunch.

Here it is, straight from the Big Boy himself: https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1242537995103846400

He sounds like Gob on ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT brainstorming one of his idiotic harebrained magic routines.
Here's an editorial from the Idaho Statesman about how little Gov. Brad Little (not trying to make an unfunny joke) is doing on handling the virus:

https://www.idahostatesman.com/opinion/e...58021.html

Quote:Idaho Gov. Brad Little’s lackluster response to the coronavirus outbreak is inadequate, dangerous and likely will cost some of his constituents their lives.

With few confirmed cases and a seemingly low spread of COVID-19, Idaho had a golden opportunity to lead the nation and take proactive preventative measures to “flatten the curve” and stem the rise in cases in this crisis. We could have been a model for how to handle the outbreak and have the fewest cases of coronavirus in the country.

Instead, after Little’s Monday press conference, we appear, yet again, to head to the bottom of the list.

We were hopeful that Little would announce more stringent measures, such as those being taken by other states’ governors, including Oregon and Washington right next door, and by Boise Mayor Lauren McLean.

We were looking for a strong response from the governor, but what did we get instead? The deadline to file taxes got pushed back.

We were sorely disappointed and, frankly, are concerned that such an unemphatic response will lead to a full-blown outbreak in Idaho, resulting in an overwhelmed health care system and, ultimately, what could have been preventable deaths.

To date, Little’s position has been a typical Idaho approach to dealing with a problem. God forbid that we should use the heavy hand of government to stop this thing. And make no mistake, that’s what it’s going to take. It’s time for forceful and aggressive leadership from the governor. Leaving it up to individual cities, counties and districts is woefully inadequate.

We’ve seen restaurants and bars continue to be patronized, despite the warnings. Allowing one city to shut down its businesses while the next city over continues to do business as usual defeats the entire purpose of a shutdown. It just won’t work unless everyone does it. That’s where the state needs to step in and recognize the emergency for what it truly is — an emergency.

Nothing speaks to the state’s inadequate handling of the situation louder than its posting of numbers for confirmed cases. The state posted Monday that Idaho has 50 confirmed cases of coronavirus, when we know that the number is 77 due to local health district reports.

If the state doesn’t even know the exact count of coronavirus cases, how can it be expected to respond to the situation? How can Idahoans trust the governor and officials to make informed decisions? Flattening the curve requires knowing what the curve is looking like at any given time.

And:

Quote:Governors all across the country are ordering residents to shelter in place and shutting down all gathering places. Not Idaho.

The trope making the rounds this week, and we expect to see it pick up steam, is that killing the economy is worse than suffering a pandemic. Baloney. We will rebound economically, but somehow accepting the eventuality of people dying and getting sick unnecessarily because we couldn’t shelter in place for a few weeks is beyond comprehension.

It is irresponsible nonsense.

Is our governor testing out a theory that Idaho will suffer through a pandemic but our businesses will still be open throughout it?

This is not a reasonable strategy.

When asked at Monday’s press conference about closing restaurants’ dine-in services, Little responded, “If we have an area where there’s a big risk, that’s the proper thing.”

In what areas of the state is there not a big risk? There are cases in Bingham, Teton and Valley counties, which aren’t exactly teeming with people. What parts of the state are free from risk? Folks are “escaping” from highly populated areas to less-populated places, like Stanley, and these places are begging people to behave properly as they overrun their towns. McCall asked visitors to stay away, as did Owyhee County.

Again, are we just waiting to take action only until there’s an outbreak? By then, it will be too late. Due to limited testing, we don’t know the extent of community spread and whether the virus is already circulating in every corner of the state. Little said originally that he was going to wait to take further action until we had community spread. We have it.

The State Board of Education took action on schools, closing them all through April 20. It seems that what Little would like to do is not make tough decisions himself, and instead rely on someone else to do it. He almost seems to be banking that the measures being taken in the state’s populated areas will be enough to slow the virus, without him showing that “heavy hand of government.”

While 163 million people in 17 states, 14 counties and eight cities, according to the New York Times, have ordered residents to shelter in place, Gov. Little, who at age 66 is in the demographic of people at risk from coronavirus, was traveling the state visiting public health districts across Idaho, putting himself at risk. As the state’s top executive officer, he’s jeopardizing the smooth operation of state government.

We’ve said it before and it’s worth repeating, this time more forcefully: The time for careful, measured response is over. The time to shut things down is now.

Gov. Little, please don’t let Idaho be the example of how not to handle the coronavirus. Let’s make the mistake of being overly cautious. Even Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said he would rather be blamed for being overly aggressive. The stakes are too high and the consequences are too dire. Lives are at stake. How we respond is your responsibility.
Army troops disinfecting nursing homes in Spain found some residents abandoned – dead in their beds or left to fend for themselves, the country's defense minister said. A judicial probe has been opened.

https://apnews.com/8bd9ec1261d19913a301a..._medium=AP

Quote:Spanish army troops disinfecting nursing homes have found, to their horror, some residents living in squalor among the infectious bodies of people suspected of dying from the new coronavirus, authorities said Tuesday.

Defense Minister Margarita Robles said the elderly residents were “completely left to fend for themselves, or even dead, in their beds.” She said the discovery over the weekend included several nursing homes but did not name them or say how many bodies were found.

A judicial probe into the horrific discovery was opened Tuesday as Spain announced a record one-day jump of nearly 6,600 new coronavirus infections, bringing the overall total to more than 39,600. The number of deaths also leaped by a record 514 to almost 2,700, second only to Italy and China.

As bodies piled up, Madrid took over a public skating rink as a makeshift morgue after the city facility overflowed. To date, 1,535 people have died in the hard-hit Spanish capital, more than half of the national total. The capital region has over 12,350 infections.

“This is a tough week,” Dr. Fernando Simón, head of Spain’s health emergency center, told a daily news briefing.

Relatives of elderly people and retirement homes’ workers expressed growing concern about the situation at the centers.

“With everything that is happening with the coronavirus, this was a ticking bomb,” said Esther Navarro, whose 97-year-old Alzheimer’s-stricken mother lives at the Usera Seniors’ Center in Madrid, where soldiers found some of the bodies.

“Now we are bracing ourselves for the worst possible outcome,” she told the Associated Press in a telephone interview.

A worker at the nursing home said at least two bodies had to remain in the home for a day before funeral workers, who are working around the clock, arrived to take them away.

“We are very saddened, because the residents are almost like our own relatives due to the time we spend with them,” the worker, José Manuel Martín, told Cadena SER radio.

Pedro Núñez said his father-in-law, Zoilo Patiño Lara, died at the nursing home from the virus on Saturday, although he was never diagnosed or taken to a hospital when symptoms appeared. The man, in his 80′s and suffering from advanced Alzheimer’s, was not removed until Sunday despite Núñez’s repeated calls to funeral home workers.
My county is going under stay-at-home orders starting Thursday night. Usual stuff, no going out except for food or medicine or solitary exercise. On top of that, Universal announced it's extending their closure until April 19th. I expect Disney is going to follow suit soon.

----------

I imagine that rich people don't live within their means and are probably a six- or seven- or eight-figure check away from ruin.
(03-24-2020, 07:52 PM)bradito Wrote: I imagine that rich people don't live within their means and are probably a six- or seven- or eight-figure check away from ruin.

I can verify this.  When I was a banker, I dealt with may One Percenters who had terrible credit scores, were in incredible debt, and couldn't get approved for anything due to their debt/income ratios.  These people were absolutely fucked if they lost their jobs, and many of them were sweating bullets when I was chatting with them.

As counterpoint, I met many people making 40K a year with perfect credit scores, no debt, no stress, and all the money in the world to enjoy their lives.
I guess Gucci boots don't come with straps.

----------

So when I requested to postpone my jury duty service last fall, I didn't realize at the time that I'd be postponing it to the month where we'd be in the middle of a pandemic. At any rate, I don't have to do jury duty next week.

See, something good came out of this!

(03-24-2020, 08:23 PM)bradito Wrote: So when I requested to postpone my jury duty service last fall, I didn't realize at the time that I'd be postponing it to the month where we'd be in the middle of a pandemic. At any rate, I don't have to do jury duty next week.

See, something good came out of this!

"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

I postponed before all this was a thing, but I went with the day before Thanksgiving. Cancelled, duty fulfilled. My Dad, however, served on a murder trial, but I believe he wanted to serve before he aged out.
FEMA literally tracks the closures of Waffle House locations to gauge the scales of natural disasters:

https://www.fema.gov/blog/2011-07-07/new...management

So, uh oh:

https://www.wafb.com/2020/03/24/waffle-h...across-us/

Quote:Waffle House has now closed 365 locations across the U.S. due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The breakfast-chain announced the news on their Facebook page Tuesday morning.

While more than 300 locations have closed, 1,627 remain open.

In a Facebook post on March 15th, Waffle House said that they were attempting to keep their customers safe and keep nearly 45,000 employees employed.

“We want to acknowledge the great efforts of our associates, who work hard every shift to create a safe, warm and welcoming dining experience 24 hours daily.”

The post continued, saying, “We are working hard to support them as we do our best to manage through this crisis.”
Jenny Nicholson has coronavirus.
Yeah, "coronavirus parties" are going to be left out when the possible grandchildren ask about these times:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/ne...911870001/

Quote:Kentucky's overall confirmed coronavirus cases jumped to 163 Tuesday with at least one case stemming from a "coronavirus party," Gov. Andy Beshear said, admonishing the practice and calling for an immediate end to such gatherings.

“This is the part where I, the person that tells everybody to be calm, have to remain calm myself," Beshear said. "Because anyone who goes to something like this may think that they are indestructible, but it’s someone else’s loved one that they are going to hurt.”

“We are battling for the health and even the lives of our parents and our grandparents," he added. "Don’t be so callous as to intentionally go to something and expose yourself to something that can kill other people. We ought to be much better than that.”

Beshear said the infection was one of 39 new cases reported Tuesday but did not say which county the case was associated with. Beshear said the person attended a party of adults in their 20s. 

"I guess thinking they were invincible flaunting the mass gathering prohibition," he said

Across Kentucky, four people have died from COVID-19. 

"This is something that no one should be doing across the commonwealth," Beshear said.

"We all owe each other a duty to protect each other," Beshear added. "And we simply can’t have folks that are doing things like this."
(03-24-2020, 09:40 PM)serpico jones Wrote: Jenny Nicholson has coronavirus.

Crap. She reported symptoms a couple of days back, and apparently she has asthma on top of that. Has there been further confirmation?
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(03-24-2020, 09:49 PM)hammerhead Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 09:40 PM)serpico jones Wrote: Jenny Nicholson has coronavirus.

Crap. She reported symptoms a couple of days back, and apparently she has asthma on top of that. Has there been further confirmation?

She tweeted about it tonight. It was a very hard week for her.