Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CHUD NUMBERS: Box Office Discussion Thread
No, no, no. Charmin absorbs better. Stays strong when wet. No seepage between your hand and your waste.
I'm Team Cottonelle. So soft.
Man alive, I just got back from the grocery store and I don't care what team you're on, if you're not already stocked up you're screwed.

Motion to change this thread to toilet paper discussion in the absence of any new box office numbers.
Things are obviously odd at the box office these days but I’ve really enjoyed putting the Weekend Wrap-Up pieces together every week so, instead of canning them, I have decided to instead take a look at the box offices of years past. Join me! https://trouble.city/articles/2020/3/22/...vwxjd026li
Damn, that was a good year for Zemeckis. Two films in the top 10.
I forgot how big THE GRINCH was.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(03-22-2020, 04:25 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Damn, that was a good year for Zemeckis.  Two films in the top 10.

If I recall correctly, Beneath was shot during the downtime necessary for Hanks to lose weight for the middle sections of Cast Away. Efficient! But I bet Zemeckis would do it all with visual FX today.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(03-22-2020, 04:45 PM)hammerhead Wrote: If I recall correctly, Beneath was shot during the downtime necessary for Hanks to lose weight for the middle sections of Cast Away. Efficient!

This is correct. It's basically a bonus movie, and when looked at that way, I think it's pretty impressive.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I am super shocked Netflix hasn't opened its coffers and snagged some of these films that are being delayed.  

You telling me Quiet Place 2 couldn't have been had for 300-500 million?

Warner pushing WONDER WOMAN ‘84 to August 14th. Keeping TENET at its current July 17th date.
considering how things are going, that still seems overly optimistic
It's already been getting harder and harder to convince people to buy 15-25 dollar movie tickets instead of waiting to watch at home on 75 inch HDR televisions with surround sound systems ... now you add the lingering fear of CoronaDeath to the mix?

Boxoffice may not recover for years, if at all.

This is why you should own a smaller TV!
I think the Box Office will recover in a big way. Just not immediately. Once the psychic scarring slowly recedes, people will want to see those big movies again.
I'm not Avery.
Honestly, I think the theaters will be overwhelmed. All that will be left to release theatrically will be the high demand blockbusters (everything else will probably get released on streaming rather than get a theatrical release), so the 'content' will be there.
I wanna go to the movies so bad.
(03-24-2020, 05:40 PM)bradito Wrote: I wanna go to the movies so bad.

This stretch is the most difficult, Bradito.  But the cravings will subside, in time.  Make sure you drink plenty of fluids and have a support system in place to assist you in managing intrusive thoughts.

I did laundry.
(03-24-2020, 06:10 PM)bradito Wrote: I did laundry.

Oh jesus, I've seen this before!! Someone jam a stick between Bradito's teeth so he can't swallow his tongue!!!!!

I took out the garbage, too.
(03-24-2020, 08:21 PM)bradito Wrote: I took out the garbage, too.

Is that a euphemism for something?  Are you recreating scenes from your favorite revenge movies in your neighborhood? 

Are there hugging scenes in your recreations?

I'm trying to distract myself from my yearning for the theatrical experience!

I washed dishes. Well, the dishwasher washed them. But I put them in there.
(03-24-2020, 08:55 PM)bradito Wrote: I'm trying to distract myself from my yearning for the theatrical experience!

I washed dishes. Well, the dishwasher washed them. But I put them in there.

Translation: I'm getting my thrills wherever and however I can.

For instance, I offed that mouthy couple next door.  Well, the wood chipper offed them.  But I put them in there. 

Code cracked.

They're onto me!
All cinemas here in Singapore are to be closed till April 30th.

Time to catch up on my reading i guess.
Time to catch up on my reading as well. Of fine literature like Bloodshot since I can already rent it.
Disney announced a bunch of changes to schedule:

https://deadline.com/2020/04/black-widow...202900118/

THE JUNGLE CRUISE moved to July of 2021.
Took a while, but home media sales for The Rise of Skywalker are starting to trickle in, although only Blu-ray sales are available at the moment (not sure DVD sales are too meaningful at this point).

Just out of curiosity, let's compare all the DisneyWars opening week Blu-Ray sales (this actually REALLY drives down The Force Awakens numbers as it moved 669,318 DVDs its first week):

Force Awakens Blu-Ray Units Sold Week One: 3,420,540
Rogue One Blu-Ray Units Sold Week One: 1,862,376
The Last Jedi Blu-Ray Units Sold Week One: 1,772,048
Solo Blu-Ray Units Sold Week One: 676,992
The Rise of Skywalker Blu-Ray Units Sold Week One: 650,550

**Source: the-numbers.com. This site includes VOD in its "weeks after release" calculations, so you can be thrown off at first if you look at the individual movie pages.

Those numbers strike me less as bad for Star Wars than bad for physical media.

Also, bad movie. But I can just watch it on my Disney Plus right now if I like.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(05-08-2020, 10:00 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: Those numbers strike me less as bad for Star Wars than bad for physical media.

Also, bad movie. But I can just watch it on my Disney Plus right now if I like.

I feel comfortable we can safely conclude that people fucking hated TROS.  I ain't blaming this on the decline of physical media.

**Rogue One and other Star Wars movies were on Netflix ... pretty sure the Netflix market penetration is larger than Disney+'s ...

Yeah the physical media change hasn't been that drastic in these few years as to explain that drop. The numbers make sense as far as the general popularity of each movie. Doing less than Solo, a basically forgotten neglected red headed step child tho, I mean OUCH.
The fact that they buried these numbers for over two months shows exactly what they thought of them.

Is there a breakdown for internet purchases versus brick-and-mortar purchases? Gotta imagine the earlier releases got a lot of impulse buys at the register.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
The weird thing is, Freeman actually bought every single copy.
I don't think the numbers are completely comparable, though. Yes, the movie is dumber than a bag of hammers, but the home release was pushed up due to COVID. Add to that the fact that I am willing to bet the number of digital purchases or rentals was also higher than usual due to COVID and people's lack of shopping in brick and mortar stores.

Or was it released on bluray way earlier than February? Too lazy to look it up.

ETA: released on 3/31, well into lockdown in a lot of places. That DEFINITELY had an impact on physical copy sales.