Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decade Draft: The 2010's. Sign-Up
(03-25-2020, 01:10 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: I knew this day was coming. Here it is.

Picking THE AVENGERS is like picking a TRANSFORMERS movie.

Can you really look yourself in the eye and say it deserves to be on any 'Best of List'?

Jean-Luc Godard rollin' over in his grave. Martin Scorsese dying for Richard's sins.

Haven't you not seen it though?
(03-25-2020, 01:17 PM)Alt-molt Wrote:

Can you really look yourself in the eye and say it deserves to be on any 'Best of List'?

Jean-Luc Godard rollin' over in his grave. Martin Scorsese dying for Richard's sins.

Haven't you not seen it though?

A valid point.  It's unfair to dismiss it when you've never seen it.
Avengers deserves a spot, IMHO.
I think Gone Girl is the most overrated film of the decade.  ? ? ? 

(03-25-2020, 01:14 PM)boone daniels Wrote: You thought SPRING BREAKERS should have been day one, pick one, so I don't know how many stones you get to throw there, E.
I can get on board with that though.
Goddamn i didn't realize Cabin in the Woods was in this decade. What a brilliant, fun piece of work. Great pick.
"I'm from the old school, I used to see men die for less - but I'm not livin' that way. I'll let my mic do the talking...and let the music play" - Joseph Conrad
I wouldn't personally pick it at all, but I think Avengers fits pretty well on Richard's more blockbustery list.

Boone, I'd like to hear your thoughts on Spring Breakers.
I'm not sure how good Avengers is as an action movie. It's serviceable, at least. As a live action bona fide superhero team up movie, the kind you might have dreamed about as a kid watching cartoons- it works very, very well. The actors are all putting in good work, and there's charisma and humor to spare. Compare that to Bay's obnoxious style, which throws shit at the screen, wastes good actors (like Turturro) and makes others (LaBeouf) seem like they're actually bad actors... it's not even close. Avengers is a fun, very rewatchable flick. Transformers (and I've only seen that first one, I imagine the rest are even dumber) is an abomination.
Comparing Avengers to Transformers immediately tells me you’re operating from a place of personal bias and not one of having seen the movie. Other than both being summer blockbusters, they’re nothing alike.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Yeah, I stand by SPRINGBREAKERS.

I haven't ever sat down to watch THE AVENGERS, true. And I won't. However, just living in this culture I know all the beats, and it's on TV so many times, I'm sure I've caught bits and pieces.

What I do know is how assembly line the whole production of these things are - we've all heard the stories. We know how little control the actual filmmakers have.

It's not cinema! Says people more knowing than all of us.

I just can't even imagine doing a draft like this and deciding to champion that.

More power to ya, I guess.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Not sure it's possible to eye-roll hard enough on this one.  Certainly wouldn't be one of my picks (I'd have a handful of Marvel movies alone ahead of it) but WTF is movie discussion even about if you can't genuinely enjoy and appreciate blockbuster filmmaking done right.

Giving a shit about what Godard or Scorsese thinks about Marvel films is like caring about what Beethoven would think of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
"I'm from the old school, I used to see men die for less - but I'm not livin' that way. I'll let my mic do the talking...and let the music play" - Joseph Conrad
Avengers is lower tier Marvel for the first 2/3rds (Loki the all powerful god escapes in the back of a pickup truck?), but the last act when Whedon gets away from his tics and sticks to the Marvel pre-vis is pretty fun.
Godard is alive.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
I'm sure Beethoven would've held the Red Hot Chili Peppers in total disdain, and been very critical of anyone putting one of their albums in a 'Best of the Decade' list!

Look, eat all the fancy food you want, but anyone who wants to deny the carnal joy of pummeling a McD's double quarter pounder w/ Cheese after a night of absolute debauchery is lying to themselves.
Even if it's not your cup of tea, it's hard to argue the significance of The Avengers to the decade.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(03-25-2020, 01:36 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: I'm sure Beethoven would've held the Red Hot Chili Peppers in disdain, and been very critical of anyone putting one of their albums in a 'Best of the Decade' list!

Exactly.  The point being, who gives a shit what Beethoven thinks (or, would think)?  Enjoying the shit out of RHCP shouldn't be dependent on the thoughts of a long dead guy.
You wouldn't put a a McD's double quarter pounder w/ Cheese on a 'Best of the decade' food list now would ya?

(03-25-2020, 01:30 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: I just can't even imagine doing a draft like this and deciding to champion that.

More power to ya, I guess.

People have different approaches to these drafts.  I's not always about championing underseen gems, or going to bat for weird, flawed movies that personally resonate.  Beer and ballgames feel just as real and interesting to some people as Nic Cage snorting coke and eating a bug does to others.
(03-25-2020, 01:34 PM)Mangy Wrote: Godard is alive.

Is he, though?
Give or take six months. Dude is pretty old.
I know I'm probably alone in this, but I found Annihilation disappointingly bland. I really dig Ex-Machina, though. With Dredd, that's three Alex Garland movies picked today.
I would certainly put it on a list of my favorite things to eat when I'm hungover, which makes it one of my favorite things to eat. The idea that one's list of 'Top' things has to be some film-school level of cinematic quality is ridiculous.

Why don't we just skip this exercise and just post a list of top critics movies of the decade. It'll make the process a lot easier.
Nic Cage snorting coke and eating a bug is cinema!

(03-25-2020, 01:41 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Nic Cage snorting coke and eating a bug is cinema!

I won't deny that.
I'm not against Marvel movies on principal, but there are at least two other ones I would have taken before Avengers.
(03-25-2020, 01:41 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Nic Cage snorting coke and eating a bug is cinema!

Hard agree.
I started this draft thinking about selecting no genre films at all, as a challenge to myself. But then I realized how much I’d have to forego, and I lost my nerve. I couldn’t completely ignore all my beloved elevated horror titles, at least.

But I am consciously avoiding blockbusters, especially of the superhero variety. There’s only one I’m even considering for my list (which you can probably guess), though I doubt it’ll last long enough for me to get around to it. I kind of love Avengers, and I think it’s easy to argue for it’s inclusion, but I don’t know that it adds much to anyone’s list, at least for me.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I still remember a late night in college, coming down from an acid trip after spending all day and evening at a music festival, having not eaten anything for 24 hours, gorging on a pile of double cheeseburgers from McDonalds. It was a top 10 food experience for me. Nobody can take that away from me!

And that is why AVENGERS is cinema.
I could easily have picked five or six super-hero films. Or all the Spielbergs. But I'm limiting myself.

And while there have been super-hero films I've maybe enjoyed more or would say are "better" films, that midnight showing of Avengers was right up there with my first viewing of FOTR in that "Holy shit, the crazy bastards actually pulled it off" sense. And it set the table for every moment that came after.

----------

I'm just busting balls: I didn't want to be the guy putting down superhero shit again... but somebody has to!

Rex Hudler rollin' over in his grave

I love Annihilation, and was considering it for tomorrow at least. Far prefer it to Ex Machina.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Lotta westerns that film nerds love to champion from the golden age that were seen as assembly line filmmaking back in the day. Or noir. Or musicals. Or any other genre that's enjoyed popularity.

Now, you can argue - as Scorsese has done - that those "assembly line" films never seemed to come at the expense of other genres, whereas Marvel/superhero movies have shoved basically everything out of the market.

But to attack the genre on filmmaking alone is a lazy argument.

I don't want to make this personal, E, but it's always struck me as a touch hypocritical that you like to call out folks for (assumingely) not having seen stuff you champion, yet you take any opportunity to throw shots at a movie you haven't seen.

Also, this isn't a "best of the decade draft" list. It's a "Movies of the 2010s" draft. People are picking movies for a wide variety of reasons, it seems. Films that mean a lot to them, films they like, films they'd champion. These drafts have never been about deciding the best of something or other. That's why we have a knockout.
home taping is killing music
Back in college, I watched 30-40 minutes of a bad camrip of The Avengers, realized it was actually pretty good and promptly headed to theater to watch the whole thing.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
(03-25-2020, 01:53 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Lotta westerns that film nerds love to champion from the golden age that were seen as assembly line filmmaking back in the day. Or noir. Or musicals. Or any other genre that's enjoyed popularity.

Arguably the greatest movie musical of all time started out as an excuse to use a bunch of old catalog songs from the 1930s.

----------

(03-25-2020, 01:48 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: And while there have been super-hero films I've maybe enjoyed more or would say are "better" films, that midnight showing of Avengers was right up there with my first viewing of FOTR in that "Holy shit, the crazy bastards actually pulled it off" sense.  And it set the table for every moment that came after.

Yes, it's hard to imagine it now that Marvel has superhero crossovers completely formulized, but there are so many ways Avengers could have come out a complete shitshow. I credit Whedon with keeping the juggling act together. And "I'm always angry" will always be a top-ten superhero movie moment.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen