Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decade Draft: The 2010's. Sign-Up
(03-25-2020, 04:05 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Moana is the peak non-Pixar Disney animation of the decade.  And it's better than most Pixar from the decade too.

It really is. It also features the best villain Disney's had in years.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
(03-25-2020, 03:55 PM)simbob Wrote: I thought Avengers was pretty bad, (Whedon was not up to directing a big action movie at that time) and that "I'm always angry" was right up there with the "Red Ledger" talk as some of the worst things said in the movie. 

By the time the Avengers movie came around it seemed like a pretty sure thing it'd do the kind of business it did. The whole thing was also using Marvel's big mega hit The Ultimates (which surprising they're still doing give it was just 28 issues) as a springboard, and that does a far better job  juggling everything. Has way more interesting action scenes too, which makes it kind of weird they didn't pull them from the comic more directly.

Simbob is wrong on multiple levels. News at 11.

Also, the Ultimates is jingoistic misogynistic garbage that's up there with [REDACTED] as one of the most grotesque pieces of popular culture to come out of the Bush era.
home taping is killing music
Caught flat footed losing Melancholia and Edge of Tomorrow. My list is contracting.
hulk smash freddy prince jr
When you say Disney are you also including Pixar? Because I remember every Pixar villian of this decade more than the one in Moana. Actually, outside of being like some lava volcano thing I think, I don't remember anything about the villian in Moana at all. Outside of remembering I enjoyed Moana I don't really remember anything about Moana at all.
I'm talking about the Glam crab. He's only in one scene, but he's one of the best things in the movie and I consider him more of a villain than the volcano goddess or those pygmy guys.
MOANA is one beautiful movie. Very lush and vibrant. On a purely visual basis, it's really astounding. Add in a bunch of really great songs ('Shiny' is particularly good) and a fun story and you're off to the races. Good turn by Dwayne Johnson, too.
(03-25-2020, 04:09 PM)boone daniels Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 03:55 PM)simbob Wrote: I thought Avengers was pretty bad, (Whedon was not up to directing a big action movie at that time) and that "I'm always angry" was right up there with the "Red Ledger" talk as some of the worst things said in the movie. 

By the time the Avengers movie came around it seemed like a pretty sure thing it'd do the kind of business it did. The whole thing was also using Marvel's big mega hit The Ultimates (which surprising they're still doing give it was just 28 issues) as a springboard, and that does a far better job  juggling everything. Has way more interesting action scenes too, which makes it kind of weird they didn't pull them from the comic more directly.

Also, the Ultimates is jingoistic misogynistic garbage that's up there with [REDACTED] as one of the most grotesque pieces of popular culture to come out of the Bush era.

Can I say I disagree without you wondering why I'm attacking you?

The Avengers movie is a pretty shitty take on The Ultimates, and stuff like their battle with Thor, the attack on New York, and the stuff with Loki are right out of the first two volumes of The Ultimates...and they're handled far better there. Loki's plot of tricking the team was better than Loki's brainwashing staff, the big Thor fight in the forest from the comic was better than the poorly shot forest fight in the movie, and everything about the Chitauri trying to take over the world was better than them showing up in the third act completely disconnected from everything for some big final fight. The movie is a badly pieced together Frankenstein's monsters of the first two Ultimates Volumes. (which yes have not aged well, although we're very fresh on release)

On top of all that, and that stuff could probably all be forgiven if this part wasn't true, Whedon couldn't direct his way out of a paper bag then. The Avengers is a pretty badly shot film, it looks bad, and none of the action is particularly good. It's also basically a comedy, and outside of a couple Tex Avary gags with the Hulk, it's never funny.

(03-25-2020, 04:20 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: I'm talking about the Glam crab. He's only in one scene, but he's one of the best things in the movie and I consider him more of a villain than the volcano goddess or those pygmy guys.

Ok, I was wondering if maybe he was what you were talking about, but wasn't sure. I do definitely remember him, and he's definitely one of Disney's standout characters. Although didn't he become good?
(03-25-2020, 04:35 PM)simbob Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 04:09 PM)boone daniels Wrote:

Can I say I disagree without you wondering why I'm attacking you?

The Avengers movie is a pretty shitty take on The Ultimates, and stuff like their battle with Thor, the attack on New York, and the stuff with Loki are right out of the first two volumes of The Ultimates...and they're handled far better there. Loki's plot of tricking the team was better than Loki's brainwashing staff, the big Thor fight in the forest from the comic was better than the poorly shot forest fight in the movie, and everything about the Chitauri trying to take over the world was better than them showing up in the third act completely disconnected from everything for some big final fight. The movie is a badly pieced together Frankenstein's monsters of the first two Ultimates Volumes. (which yes have not aged well, although we're very fresh on release)

On top of all that, and that stuff could probably all be forgiven if this part wasn't true, Whedon couldn't direct his way out of a paper bag then. The Avengers is a pretty badly shot film, it looks bad, and none of the action is particularly good. It's also basically a comedy, and outside of a couple Tex Avary gags with the Hulk, it's never funny.

(03-25-2020, 04:20 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: I'm talking about the Glam crab. He's only in one scene, but he's one of the best things in the movie and I consider him more of a villain than the volcano goddess or those pygmy guys.

Ok, I was wondering if maybe he was what you were talking about, but wasn't sure. I do definitely remember him, and he's definitely one of Disney's standout characters. Although didn't he become good?

No the last we saw of him, he was stuck on his back complaining that people would like him better if his name was Sebastian. A very funny but still menacing performance by Jermaine Clement.
Moana's primary villain is more spiritual and individual than it is a physical presence. The real villain of the pic is are hubris that pushes us to do stupid/evil things and the fear that controls us without being understood. All anyone had to do to defeat the 'villain' of the film was simply to empathize with her.
"I'm from the old school, I used to see men die for less - but I'm not livin' that way. I'll let my mic do the talking...and let the music play" - Joseph Conrad
Yeah, but the crab rocks, and so does his song.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(03-25-2020, 07:09 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: Yeah, but the crab rocks, and so does his song.

I never knew that I wanted to see a crab sing ala David Bowie until I saw this film.  Glorious.
BOOKSMART was all right. Check out THE INCREDIBLY TRUE ADVENTURES of 2 GIRLS IN LOVE to see the version less thick and ordinary.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Ultimates sucks.

See how I did that without attacking Simbob?
I've been playing chicken with Inside Out as the draft went on, figured it wouldn't have lasted much longer.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
well shit. There goes CONTAGION.
Ending bugs me but THE GREY is a darn fine film.
The Last Jedi is top two Star Wars, the most philosophical star wars, and it's a disgrace that it lasted this long at this site. Says a lot about how must Rise of Skywalker tainted this trilogy.
"I'm from the old school, I used to see men die for less - but I'm not livin' that way. I'll let my mic do the talking...and let the music play" - Joseph Conrad
Nah, I just didn't want to do the whole "Of COURSE Dickson picked a Star Wars movie" thing.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Superlaser is killing me.

We must be on the same wavelength, because he is just consistently scooping my next pick.

Inside Out is quality stuff. It didn’t resonate with me the same way as WALL-E or Up, but the inventiveness on display was what I hope Pixar can maintain.
There are some movies I'm stunned haven't been picked, Two, at least, that might have been day one selections here in the past. One is killing me not to take, but I'm not deviating from my plan this late in the draft.
One in particular is shocking to me.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(03-26-2020, 11:59 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: One in particular is shocking to me.

And upon saying that, now I've come up with two more.
CONTAGION is one of those movies that - even before the events of the last 3 months - I watched on a regular basis at least once a year. I find that movie's emphasis on science and human decency to be very calming.

Other drafted movies that I have watched at least once a year since they came out:

SPOTLIGHT
THE MARTIAN
SOCIAL NETWORK
CABIN IN THE WOODS
GONE GIRL
GET OUT
GRAND BUDAPEST
NICE GUYS

I missed that THE WITCH went. One of the strongest endings in recent memory.

I keep meaning to really commit to WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN, but I find the Wikipedia summary of that movie alone to be so upsetting I don't think I could handle the whole thing.
The Witch is the one movie I coulda/woulda bent my draft approach for.
It's absolutely insane that one hasn't gone. Would have thought that it had REDACTED.
(03-26-2020, 12:05 PM)bailey Wrote: The Witch is the one movie I coulda/woulda bent my draft approach for.

Yeah, there are definitely a lot of favourites from one year in particular that I'm leaving off because of my approach.
C'mon atom, people shouldn't need hints.
Hints no more!
Dang, I had HEREDITARY, CELL BLOCK 99 and WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN on my shortlist.

All of these hints leave me stumped!
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
Oh you!
Look, I wasn't trying to be a scold. Can I extend an olive branch?
(03-26-2020, 12:04 PM)boone daniels Wrote:
I keep meaning to really commit to WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN, but I find the Wikipedia summary of that movie alone to be so upsetting I don't think I could handle the whole thing.

It really is. It's not really considered a Horror film, but it's as horrifying as any movie released this decade.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I'll leaf it up to others.
Brawl on Cell Block 99 is enormously fun, and one I knew Molt would get, somehow.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN